Book 1 - The Edge of Anarchy

Started by pringerbeam, March 23, 2016, 04:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pringerbeam

It is a normal day in the bustling city of Korvosa.  The sun shines and the wind blows in off the sea as people go about their daily business.  Among those people are five whose fates have become intertwined by the wrongdoing of the criminal Gaedren Lamm.  However, they have yet to collide among the tens of thousands of korvosans and as such, they go about their mornings as they always have.

[info]Post your character's morning activities[/info]

jammermoore

Shenzu goes to the church of Abadar to do his morning prayer, in which is to pray for and wish for wonderful afterlife for his wife Zeldana. After praying Shenzu gets ready to teach his daily class.

pringerbeam

As you open your eyes from your prayer you see placed upon the stone floor of the temple before you a harrow card. 

Upon the back of the card you find a message written:  "I know hat Gaedren has done to you.  He has wronged me as well.  I know where he dwells, yet cannot strike at him.  Come to my home at 3 Lancet Street at sunset.  Others like you will be there.  Gaedren must face his fate, and justice must be done."

Mysticsage

https://www.youtube.com/v/PL578B07D8A09AFBDC&autoplay=1&repeat=1

Aeraloth woke late mid morning as the smell of fresh bread and sunbeams coxed him from his sleep. He lay interlaced in the ams of a women as was the usual and yet as he glanced at her still sleeping form next to his he couldn't remember her name. He would leave first as was customary for this sort of thing better to leave her with her honor. From what he could remember she had passed out from wine before they had gotten the chance to get to far. He slowly extricated himself from the nest of sheets and limbs to stand naked allowing his bronze skin soak in what light made its way through the curtains.

He quietly stretched the kinks out of his back from his awkward sleeping arrangement before beginning to scavenge for his lost attire. He dressed quickly in his loose performance vestiges a cotton vest that was meant to show case his body more then protect it and a pair of brown trousers. He would have to see if he could find a place to wash up later but for now he would have to settle with just running his hands through his cross cropped  black hair and to call it a day. As his bed mate began to stir he was already out the door his mother's instrument in hand pushing down the stairways of a tavern that h was being paid to perform at the night before with his group.

They six of them had pitched in to get a somewhat okay sized space to sleep above a blacksmith forge but with that many people and that much heat Aeraloth preferred to just take part of his payment for gigs in rooms for the night when he could. They had made a decent enough pot last night so he bought himself a roll from the inn keep which he stashed in his pack before heading to the usual spot to make a bit extra coin performing with the other street acts. He normally managed to get a handful of copper from the wives and workers doing their normal morning routine. He normally just let his music do the talking when he was alone like this it was more to keep himself sharp for their scheduled gigs then the actual pay off. All told it was seeming to be just another day for the dashing half-elf

Leaving his case open by his side he quickly went about his work.
[info]perform check
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 20 + 5, total 25[/blockquote][/info]

Oath

[spoiler=Click for Music]
http://youtube.com/v/9yc7tDZcCTU&autoplay=1
[/spoiler]

The morning light filtered through the shutters of the Quail's Wing, and a Varisian girl began to stir on the common-room floor. A couple of scarves wrapped around her neck, and her outfit was rather simple plainly colored, functional and full of pockets for various trinkets. An eyepatch and violet bangs covered one of her eyes - The work of Gaedren Lamm. She rubbed her uncovered eye, sitting up and looking around the room. Most of the people seemed to have already went about their business, she decided it was her turn to do the same. She stepped out into the street, within moments a gruff voice assailed her

"Oy Eliora, bout time you woke up! I could use a hand over here!" The voice belonged to a jovial dwarf named Gorin. He ran a small stand selling a variety of smithed goods. Eliora helped him out from time to time as a barker, helping draw traffic towards his stand due to its less than ideal location.

"Mornin' to ya, Gorin, looking for someone to get some feet beatin' the pavement over this way? She cupped her hand along her forehead, blocking out some of the light while looking over Gorin's table. It really was an assortment. Weapons, pieces of armor, tools, chests, and more were laid out across it, with no real organization.

Gorin nodded with a smile. "If it wouldn't be too much trouble...

"Gorin, ya always do this when you're askin' for a favor. Tryin' to make it sound like it's gonna be a ton of trouble, but it's somethin' simple like callin' some folks over to look at this stand."

"Ah, you got me again, Eliora. Just need to get some people coming through here. If I make some sales, I'll give you a cut too." Gorin grinned ear to ear as  Eliora nodded back his way and went down the alleyway towards the street proper.

Eliora called out to all walks of life as people swarmed through the streets going about their business. She'd do simple slight of hand tricks for children and call out to adults, helping Gorin peddle his wares. Often times she would try to target parents and their children, drawing the kids in with her so called magic, taking up as much time as possible in hopes that the adults would get curious about her friend's shop. As the sun reached its peak and bells tolled to signal it was now noon, she was in the middle of one such show.

pringerbeam

Aeraloth
     The morning goes well and a decent crowd of onlookers gathers around to watch your performance, a few of them kind enough to place coin in your collection bowl.  Once midday has rolled around the crowd has dispersed though and no one is left but a vagrant passing their day and trying to leech a few coins from your more generous patrons.  As you glance down at your collection bowl along with 15 silver coins you earned throughout the morning you find a harrow card.

Upon the back of the card you find a message written: "I know what Gaedren has done to you.  He has wronged me as well.  I know where he dwells, yet cannot strike at him.  Come to my home at 3 Lancet Street at sunset.  Others like you will be there.  Gaedren must face his fate, and justice must be done."

[info]You gain 15 sp[/info]

Eliora
     After a hour or so you are able to gather a small crowd of onlookers curious to see your magic tricks at work.  Children giggle and squeal at all of the classics: the coin behind the ear, the flower out of the sleeve, the dove out of an empty sack.  You see a good mark in a particularly stoic looking man, clearly the skeptic trying to figure out your tricks.  You beckon him in for a simple shell game and he agrees to put a copper under your cups to see whether he can find it again amidst the blur of your hands.  You keep an eye on him though and make sure to put the coin under one cups he wasn't tracking with his eyes.  He sit and scrutinizes the cups once they stop and begins to go for the one he kept his eye on... but then suddenly his hand changes course and goes straight for the one you moved the coin to, a sly grin on his face.  "Nice try girl."  He pulls up the cup... only to have a harrow card under the cup, his coin nowhere to be found.  He frowns for a bit before shrugging his shoulders and moving on.  You pick up the harrow card.

Upon the back of the card you find a message written: "I know what Gaedren has done to you.  He has wronged me as well.  I know where he dwells, yet cannot strike at him.  Come to my home at 3 Lancet Street at sunset.  Others like you will be there.  Gaedren must face his fate, and justice must be done."

SleepingSkeleton

Triss stirred as the morning sun hit her, the few rags and boards that made up the wall of her "apartment" doing little to keep it out.  She sighed and rolled over.  It was still too early for this.  Few of her potential customers were even up this early.  Customers.
"Shit," Triss muttered, pushing herself off her bedroll.  She had used up more of her stock than she had intended to getting Garrik a few nights ago.  The bastard couldn't have just died without ruining the drugs she had used to secure his trust, or at least compliance.  She was going to have to get some new supplies.  Opening her bag she found only two gold coins.  Nothing much one could buy on two gold.  Still, she had been worse off.  Muttering further curses under her breath, she pushed aside the dilapidated remains of a door, its single remaining hinge screaming out in protest. 
"Hmm, nearest tavern, gotta be a few looking for hangover cures.  At least I know how to whip up one of those."  She set off, pulling her hood down to cover her face better and adjusting the small pouches she carried her herbs, chemicals and other components in.
[info]Attempting to sell one of my daily extracts in the form of Polypurpose Panacea, in whatever form can be sold, likely analgesic. 
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 14 + 5, total 19[/blockquote] Seeking 10g Diplomacy to negotiate price.
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+9 : 19 + 9, total 28[/blockquote] Craft Alchemy for other things, poultices, slower hangover cures, etc.
[/info]

pringerbeam

Unfortunately no desperate hungover patrons seem to have the coin on hand for your miracle cure.  Instead only a barkeep, sober and wily, is willing to buy your panacea at the going rate so he can gouge someone more desperate later in the day.  Fortunately, as the morning goes on you are able to sell some lesser cures  made from what materials you were able to scrounge together,  Midday rolls around and a sailor, looking to enjoy his shore-leave purchases one of your concoctions.  Reaching into one of your satchels for the vial you find your fingers brushing across something that should not be there.  After seeing the sailor off with his purchase you find in the bag a harrow card.

[info]You gain 10 gp and 13 sp[/info]

InhumanRonin

"Father!" Beldan screamed as he awoke from another nightmare. "Oh it was just a nightmare. I cant wait for the day these nightmares go away." Beldan wiped the swipe from this ordeal off his forehead. He got up out of bed and glanced out the window to notice the sun beginning to rise. "Welp I guess i should get ready for the long day ahead." Beldan then takes a shower and makes some breakfast before prepping the forge to finish up his latest project a warhammer.

Beldan stokes the forge and works to get the fire up to temperature. As the forge is hot enough to work Beldan puts on his apron and dons his smithing tools and begins to work the metal into the warhammer. Clangs rain out from the forge for a time until a loud hiss roars out as the hot metal hits the squelching oil. Beldan looks the warhammer over and props it up against the wall for a bit until he has time to test the strength of the hammer. Its at this point in the day Beldan decides to take a small break before getting to work on the next item on his list for customers. While out on break Beldan stops and grabs a quick bite to eat and grab some groceries for later meals then heads back to the shop.

[spoiler]Roll for crafting on the Warhammer which costs 12g This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d20+9 : 12 + 9, total 21 [/spoiler]
Famous last words- DONT WORRY GUYS I GOT THIS!

GG - Henon     

pringerbeam

Working the forge is hot and parching work and while taking a break from crafting the warhammer you reach for a jug of water to quench your thirst only to instead find a harrow card propped up against the jug.

[info]Crafting check successful but you will need to put in 2 more days (or 4 half days) of work to complete the warhammer[/info]

Oath

Eliora looked down at the card a bit perplexed before calling out to the crowd. "Alright, that's all for now kids!" She went back over to Gorin's stall, noticing that a few people had begun to gather around. A man was staring down at a particularly well crafted pot lid.

"Ser! What a good eye ya have. That's a great shield crafted by a masterful Dwarven smith. She also pointed at the pot lid while speaking.

The man turned from looking at it, a bit skeptical. "Ya sure you have even one good eye missy? This has ta be a pot lid, ain't never seen no shield that looks like a pot lid."

Ah, but you see, that is the beauty of this particular piece. It looks like a pot lid, but it is actually a shield. Ya enemies will think you are unprotected, but when in fact you will have a most durable shield. Tell me if ya ever have laid eyes on a pot lid that is this sturdy. Eliora picked up the pot lid and tossed Gorin a club. "hit it as hard as ya can, shopkeep,"

Gorin swung the club, the air whistiling as it smashed into the pot lid with a resounding thud. The sound of wood on metal rang out, yet the pot lid was left unscathed. Eliora set it back down and smiled at the customer. "Ser, this lovely shield can be all yours for the low price of 5 gold pieces."

After the exchange, Eliora informed Gorin that she'd have to be leaving early, she had an unexpected appointment that she had to keep. She scurried down the alleyways and through the side streets before coming upon 3 Lancet Street. She was early, but it wouldn't hurt to check out the area before hand and see what might be going on.

[info]Bluff check to pass the pot lid off as a light steel shield.
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 15 + 8, total 23[/blockquote]

Perception while outside of 3 Lancet Street. 
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 9 + 5, total 14[/blockquote]

pringerbeam

The man seemed convinced by your claim. "Well... I guess it must be some fancy dwarven shield I ain't never heard of.  What I really need though is a good solid pot lid for me wife.  Hey shopkeep, could I use that shield as a pot lid?"  Gorin looked sideways at you.  His eyebrows raised in amusement.  "Sure you could!  I can even give you the pot lid price good sir."  He trades away the pot lid for some silver before seeing you off.  "Don't be getting yourself in too much trouble now."

Upon arriving at Lancet Street you find a quiet street, practically abandoned by Korvosan standards.  Only a handful of beggars populate the street itself while the houses seem to be mostly homes for some of the citizens with just enough wealth to split a home with another family.  The only shop to be seen is at the address you were drawn to.  3 Lancet Street, while looking like a normal house much like the others along the lane, hangs a sign indicating the services of a fortune teller.  The windows are shuttered and there is little else to see from the outside of the house.

InhumanRonin

"How the hell did this get here?" Beldan was quite surprised that someone broken in and left something instead of taking anything. Beldan read over the card after his initial surprise wore off and thought to himself. "Interesting someone has found a way to Lamm but cannot strike at them. I wonder who this person is and what they want with me? Well since sunset is a ways off still so I guess I guess I will continue to work on this warhammer until closer to sunset since this thing isnt quite right yet."

After sometime passes Beldan looks out of his window and realizes it is quite near time to head out to the address on the harrow card so he cleaned himself up. Beldan kept to the main roads through town opting to keep away from the alleys if he had a say in the matter. Upon arrival to the address listed he took a quick look around to see if anyone or thing stood out before knocking on this door.

[spoiler]To see if I see anything out of place in the area[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+3 : 9 + 3, total 12[/blockquote][/spoiler]
Famous last words- DONT WORRY GUYS I GOT THIS!

GG - Henon     

pringerbeam

Beldan
     The street is quiet but nothing seems out of the ordinary.  The address you were drawn to has a sign indicating the establishment of a fortune teller.

Eliora
    A dwarf arrives at the fortune teller's shop and looks to be peering around unaware of your presence.