[IC] Skin and Bones

Started by Linwelin, January 04, 2016, 11:08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linwelin

[spoiler]Mission Thread[/spoiler]

Onlookers continued to gather and watch as an investigatory group gathered. At first, due to the style of the announcement from the tiger-woman, the crowd almost thought the scene to be some sort of act, but as it became apparent that those gathering around the body were various members of the Guild of Galas'nor, the grim reality of the scene set in. Nearby town guard made rounds through the crowd to settle panicked individuals, and disperse those that should not be present, being children and elderly. But with Garrin's comment about questioning those present, the majority of the crowd was asked to remain.

The deceased was identified as Ethan Holstein, a local cobbler. The lady next to him is his now-widowed wife, Marianne Holstein. One of the guards reported to you after speaking with Marianne.

"Seems he'd gone out to drink at the Sword and Barrel tavern, as he usually did. Mrs. Holstein, who'd been home that evening, thought it strange that Ethan had not returned before midnight, but decided to head to sleep in the mean time, which she noted to be restless. When she woke up to find he was still not home in the morning, she began running around town asking of his whereabouts. Then she came across this gathering in the streets and, well, you saw from there."
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Oath

Garrin Ravenhorst

Garrin bowed to the guard courteously. "Thank you for your trouble, it's nice to have some information to start the search." Garrin looked down at the widow, Marianne Holstein. "I apologize for your loss madam. We'll figure out what happened here." He gave her a short  bow as well, before he looked at the crowd that had gathered, then to his companions. "I'll go and start seeing if I can gather some information, I'll be sure to let you know if I find anything."

Garrin turned, sweeping his cloak around with him and walked off towards the crowd, hopeful that one among them would have some information that was useful. While asking about the situation, he'd also be searching to see if anything looked out of place or suspicious.  And if not, he could go and ask around the Sword and Barrel proper later.

[spoiler= Rolls for Perception & Gather Information.]
Perception: [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+13 : 4 + 13, total 17[/blockquote]
Gather information: [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+9 : 1 + 9, total 10[/blockquote]

InhumanRonin

After volunteering my services I figure it would be best to start asking the guards and people gathered around if they have any information that could help. I also decide to see if there is anything in the alleyways and on this street that could lead to a clue.

[spoiler]For talking to guards and towns people [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+3 : 8 + 3, total 11[/blockquote][/spoiler]
[spoiler]To look around for other evidence [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+7 : 1 + 7, total 8[/blockquote][/spoiler]

Famous last words- DONT WORRY GUYS I GOT THIS!

GG - Henon     

Linwelin

Garrin

You approached the first suspicious looking individual you could find, which looked to be a man from behind. But upon calling out to the man, it turned out to, in fact, be a strongly-built woman. And from there it all went downhill. The heightened nerves of everyone in the crowd only made them more defensive to their insecurities, and you ranted to about how the woman "wasn't so brutish as to look like a man". Soon, many of the nearby women, and even a few men, began pitching in on your fumble. Thus, you changed from the interrogator to the interrogated.

[info]You have a -2 to future interactions with this crowd for the remainder of this scene.[/info]

After finally making your way out of the mob around 20 minutes later, you decided it was best not to speak and instead focused on your sight and hearing by observing the crowd as a whole. There was one individual who seemed more disturbed than the rest, a man dressed in clerical garb. He had his hand to his mouth, biting on his thumb, with his eyes never leaving the victim.

Henon

Your initial investigation yielded no new information, and actually gave you less leads and ideas than you originally had. Everyone you spoke with said the man did not have any enemies, and was a kind, simple person. This led you to believe that this was not a personal killing, possibly even a random one.

Once you began to observe your surroundings, you slipped in a rock, faceplanted the ground, and got a little dust in your eyes. It takes you a while to recover, and you can still see and function fine, but your eyes are still watery and unclear for a while.

[info]-2 to your future perceptive checks for the scene.[/info]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Ella

Maeve Gallagher

As a few men she recognized faintly as fellow guild members stepped forward, Maeve nodded her acknowledgment of their joining the cause. It was a good thing they were guild members, as she would suspect them of joining if only to prevent her from finding out the true culprit if it were someone she did not recognize. Heck, she didn't really know these fellows well enough to strike them off her list, either. She would have to keep watch on them, just in case they tried to obstruct the one and only fist of tiger justice.

Another person she had to keep watch on was the wife. Just because she was the wife of a simple cobbler did not mean that she did not have the know how or the means to do such a terrible thing to him. Maybe she came from a more wealthy family or maybe she knew how to do this kind of stuff already or was learning it from someone. The possibilities were endless. Now was not the time to interrogate the woman, however. In a crowd such as this, she would only garner hatred towards herself by the crowds for 'picking on a grieving woman'. Instead, she would visit the woman's home later so that she could interrogate her in private. Until then...

"Could you set up a grruard at her home?" She asked the guard who had provided the information. "If it is someone who is out to get him and his family, it would be best if we had someone watch over her household for a few days at least." There, that way, the guards could tell her it was for her safety that they watch her and she would not suspect a thing.

That done, and seeing that her guild mates intended to inspect the scene of the crime and question the crowd of witnesses, Maeve decided to go on ahead to the tavern. As she usually stayed at the guild hall's tavern for her drink, the tiger woman had to ask one of the town guards for directions from their location to the Sword and Barrel. Unsure as to whether or not the cobbler would take alley ways or the main road only, she decided to take the main route and send the remaining guild mate who had not yet wandered into the crowd or nearby alleyways via the alternate route.

Turning to him, the first thing she noticed was his wolf. 'Friend? Wolf?' She thought as she eyed the wolf. She was not sure why he thought she was a friend of wolves. Perhaps he was trying to get on her good side. Under normal circumstances, he would not even have to try. That uniquely white hair was usually enough to catch her attention. This was not normal circumstances, though. As fun as flirting with hot men was, she had a job to do and no one here was exempt from her suspicions until proven innocent.

"It looks like those two will be team Crrrrrowd Control. Want to team up with me and be team Sword and Barrel?" The tigress winked at him before explaining her plan. She would go the one way, along the main road to the tavern and while on the way, she would keep watch for anything suspicious. He and his wolf friend would go the back way that included alleyways and also look for anything suspicious. They would meet up at the tavern, share what info they had gathered, and then proceed to question the tavern's inhabitants about the deceased.

[spoiler]I'll edit my post if Wolfrin decides not to continue in this mission. I'm going by the post he left in the mission thread.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Rolls for perception and gather information as Maeve travels to the tavern.]Perception: This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d20+5 : 12 + 5, total 17

Gathering Information: This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d20+2 : 8 + 2, total 10[/spoiler]

Oath

Garrin Ravenhorst

Before Maeve went running off, Garrin briefly spoke with her about his plans. After finishing with the crowd he would head over to the Sword and Barrel to reconvene, and share what he had learned. And hopefully she would have some information as well and they could get closer to figuring out what had happened.

After his blunder with the crowd, Garrin had noticed the priestly looking fellow, who also seemed quite nervous. He figured it would be best to try to talk to this particular individual, and attempted to approach him.

"Hello, sir. I'm with the Guild of Galas'nor and we're currently investigating the situation. I'd appreciate your cooperation by sharing any information you might know about the events that have taken place here." Garrin smiled, and bowed courteously to the man, hoping to ease his fears a bit.

[spoiler] Rolling Diplomacy to try to get this guy to talk, and Sense Motive to see if what he is saying is truthful.
Diplomacy(with minus 2 penalty): [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+7 : 13 + 7, total 20[/blockquote]
Sense Motive: [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+11 : 2 + 11, total 13[/blockquote][/spoiler]

InhumanRonin

After picking myself of the ground and dusting myself off I think to myself embarrassingly , "I hope no one saw that." Rubbing my eyes I come to the realization that at this rate i wont find anything I should try to contact some of the other guild members in the area to see if they had better luck then I currently am having. Going back by the crowd I noticed someone who looked like a guild member I have seen around, bowing to what looks to be a clergy looking man. I decide it would be best to hang back and wait til this person is done with his conversation with the clergy man before trying to introduce and ask this guild member some questions.

GG - Henon     

Linwelin

The priest was surprised when the two of you approached him, obviously still shaken from what he's witnessed. Still, he was much calmer than others around you, which made him easier to deal with.

"Ah, yes, of course! My name is Christopher Varris. Usually I would not really speak of this, but I am a Khilite mortician of Shankhil. I had come hearing of a death, as my job revolves around easing a soul's journey after death, but there is nothing I can do here. I speak freely to you because I wish to warn you. This is necromancy; an old, powerful sort. I have no idea how it's come to Ternadan, but it is a fearful presence. And as the nature of necromancy is secretive and hungry, I don't believe this is the last one. I had hoped to be able to help by communing with the deceased, but I have no power here. Truly disturbing."

Christopher's eyes wandered back to the corpse forlornly, and you could see the helpless pain in his eyes. This man, as odd as his work may be, truly cared about life.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Oath

Garrin Ravenhorst

Garrin listened intently to Christopher's words. It was an interesting profession, something he hadn't seen before. But it wasn't the time to be distracted by the odd sights of the city. He didn't like the sound of necromancy, and he suspected that his fellow Guild members would be wary as well. "Christopher, I thank you for your cooperation. I don't like the sound of necromancy, but I suppose it is a problem that I'll have to get to the bottom of. Is there anything else you can tell us about this case, or anything you saw? Perhaps a clue to the whereabouts of the individual responsible for this. I understand that you are likely just as lost as we are, but anything at all that we haven't heard already might open the door to a new clue or witness."

[spoiler=More Diplomacy if needed.]
Diplomacy. [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+7 : 11 + 7, total 18[/blockquote][/spoiler]

Linwelin

Christopher shook his head. "I'm sorry, but I did not see anything. All I know is what I've observed fro what is here right now. The condition of the body is all I can speak of. I must get back to my duties, if you'll excuse me; if you feel I could be of more assistance with new evidence, you may find me at the Shrine to Shankhil in the northwestern quarter of the city. I wish you luck."

The man takes his leave of the scene, heading north, which you can assume meant to the shrine. As you continue questioning and observing the area, you find that there is not much more information coming your way. Your final conclusion is that there was no one who meant this man ill, and assumed that the murder was at random.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Oath

Garrin Ravenhorst

"Thank you again, Christopher. If I find any information that seems to be within the scope of your specialties, I will be sure to call upon you at that time." Garrin was disappointed that there wasn't any more information to be had, but it was understandable. The crowd arrived after the fact, as he had. The information about necromancy was still quite unsettling, but he would have to see if Maeve had learned anything at the tavern. Garrin turned and looked at the man from the guild. "I don't believe we've met but you're here to help as well. What's your take on this?"

InhumanRonin

"You are correct we have not met before names Henon. I was trying to see if I could find any clues in the near by area, sadly my search came up empty. It just feels so strange to me that something like this could happen and the man wouldn't have had someone after him or be involved in some sort of cult. Have you or anyone else you know of working on this, found anything out besides what the mortician told you? If so we should gather up and discuss what we have. Oh right and before I forget what is your name sir?
I proceed to stick out my hand for a handshake at this point.

GG - Henon     

Oath

Garrin Ravenhorst

Garrin sized up Henon. He looked like he would be useful enough in this case. The man stuck his hand out with a handshake, and Garrin met his offer. "Well met. I'm Garrin Ravenhorst. I haven't heard anything useful outside of what Christopher had mentioned. Well, some folks said to check out the Sword and Barrel tavern, but one of our guild members has gone ahead. Perhaps it would be wise to regroup with them and share this bit of information about Necromancy, and see if she has found anything out on her end."

He wondered if Maeve had found anything useful at the tavern, if not they'd be fresh out of clues and that would make the investigation much more difficult.

Wolfrin Fenris

Wolfrin Fenris

Wolfrin mentally berated himself as he listened to the guardsman bring the group up to speed. Of course we should question the crowd before shooing them away, you basically just suggested we throw away possible leads! Use your head before you speak! Wolfrin looked at the older guild member Garrin as the man thanked the guard, nodding his own agreement with the sentiment. He was slightly taller then Wolfrin, sturdily built, and by the looks of the armor he was wearing a knight or warrior of some kind. The serious way the man held himself made Wolfrin think he'd be a good one to have in a fight.

When Garrin made his way off into the crowd to gather more information, Wolfrin turned his attention back to the corpse. There wasn't much to see really, just a mass of withered dry flesh, almost indistinguishable as a former human. Kind of like the meat father used to prepare before the winter. Before he could really begin to examine the corpse however, movement in the corner of his eye caught his attention. His eyes focused on a man in the crowd, picking himself up off the ground, looking around covertly at those nearby while brushing himself off. Chuckling to himself and turning away, someone tripping on their own feet not likely very important to the case at hand, he found the cat-woman looking at him once more.

"It looks like those two will be team Crrrrrowd Control. Want to team up with me and be team Sword and Barrel?"

"Glad to" Wolfrin responded before listening to her plan.

As Maeve walked off towards the tavern, Wolfrin bent back down next to the corpse, desperate to find something of use. The others had seemed to know just what to do next, where to look for clues, and who to question. Wolfrin was starting to wonder if he'd be more burden than benefit when he felt Buddy's shaggy fur brush up against his side. Ha! Ofcourse! The corpse may have been sucked dry, but maybe there's a scent buddy could track! And if not, we can always check the alleyway Maeve suggested! Wolfrin thought ecstatically. You saved me once again Bud, he thought as he reached down to pat the wolf's neck. Then he signaled to his companion to search the body for scents to track.

[spoiler]Buddy searches the body for a scent to track with his Scent ability. [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+7 : 1 + 7, total 8[/blockquote][/spoiler]
BEEP

Linwelin

Wolfrin and Bud

Bud gets visibly sickened by sniffing the corpse, and ends up puking. It seems he'd accidentally stuck his snout against the putrid corpse, causing the scent to be overpowering. It would take a while for him to recover from the misstep.

[info]Bud has a -2 to Fortitude saves and Perception until after your investigation at the bar.[/info]

The Bar (Maeve and Wolfrin)
The Sword and Barrel tavern was just down the road, within view of the crime scene. From the outside, the establishment seemed welcoming and well kept, despite being on the smaller side. Upon entering, your impressions were confirmed; there was a sort of warmth to the place, even with the news floating around. It seemed as though rumors of the murder down the road had already reached the tavern, so the mood of the people themselves was a lot more gloomy. There were only a handful of customers, along with the three who ran the place. The barkeeper was in position behind the bar, with two servers busing tables and tending to the customers. The barkeeper was a built man, but with a bit of girth as well. It was obvious he was strong and that he wasn't such for just body building. Still, despite the intimidating build, he gave off a friendly air, with a welcoming smile. The two servers were both women. One was a comely young woman, you would guess in her mid-to-late 20s with fair skin and wavy, auburn, long hair. The other was an older, slightly bigger woman that seemed to have a similar air to her that the barkeeper had; judging from her interactions with the barkeeper, you would guess that they are married. Otherwise, customers were scattered around the premises, with varying temperaments.

[info]After initial investigations, Garrin and Henon may enter. I'll signal for it.[/info]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_