Jameson Estate Freeform RPs

Started by Throndir, May 10, 2012, 11:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

Since there's enough interest, I went ahead and created this section.

I will be creating a play thread sometime this weekend. However, anyone of you can decide to create a play thread with some specific event/happening/starting story. Not sure if anyone'll do this, but hey the option is out there. I'll certainly be joining as many as I can. If you do this, make sure to include info info like the synopsis and when it takes place.

Throndir's Play Thread's Story
At least for the one I'll be starting up sometime on the coming weekends will be that idea that popped up in my head while writing my Interest Check post some days back. That's the one where new members were just hired by the Jamesons. Players can choose to be on the side that's welcoming them, or on the side that's being taught (and learn the ways of the Jamesons and their eccentricities - if any).

Who I'll Play
I'll probably play as one of the staff. I'll get to making a character for him (or her) shortly. I will be on the side that's welcoming the new hires.

Guidelines
Other than the ones I mentioned in the interest check thread, those newer-ish to roleplaying, can look at the following link. It just details how to RP well. Veterans can go ahead and skim through it too I suppose. It's good to refresh yourself and bring yourself back into the mood as they say.

http://www.wikihow.com/Roleplay-Online

It's really only there to prevent conflicts.

NPCs
You may feel free to introduce new NPCs if you so desire. They generally have the same rule as other players (as in other than the creator you can't godmode them). Though this rule doesn't apply to me and my creations for this freeform RP.  Any NPC that's introduced by me you can go ahead and do whatever you wish with them as long as they don't die, and preferably they try to stay in line with their character as much as possible. Sometimes having NPCs do things too helps facilitate your own character's actions help a lot, so it's probably best this way. If you introduce an NPC and you don't mind if others use them, go ahead and make mention of it. And/or if you want to make use of someone else's NPC, ask first either in PM, or chat, or whatever.

Same for PC's. Godmode's only allowed if both sides agree. I don't mind if its done privately, if I see godmoding happen I'll not question it and assume there was already an agreement made. I'm all for the betterment of a flowing story after all. :)

Characters
I don't mind if you go ahead and create a new character just for this RP. Or even make multiple ones and play them all if you so desire... As long as you can keep up with the posting and the roleplaying it's all good.

Posting Frequency
Life's busy. But also there's the fact that summer break's coming up. Try to make it at least once every 3 days, unless you have special circumstances~ Which is good to let everyone else know so it won't slow down too much. The link to the guidelines I posted above explains a bit more.

Posting Length
I don't have any qualms on short responses. As long as people are able to respond to it, it's fine. I may be alone in this view but having a nice read, that becomes similar to a storybook or novel, is good too. If you're the type to write long and multiple paragraphs then go for it. If you're the type to write a sentence or two, that's fine too as long as it gets the message across.

Out of Character Comments
If you want to use them I suggest using the Spoiler tags. I agree that sometimes OOC comments are useful.

[spoiler]This just helps with the clutter, and for those who'd just like to read the story and not bother with OOC comments.[/spoiler]

Thank You Points
Stressing players to hit "Thank You" for good posts or even slightly good posts. Read more here.

Experience Points
Even for those not participating in the D20 RP, I'm going to go ahead and keep track of how much exp you would earn for each freeform post. Just in case. The amount earned wouldn't be too much. But its an incentive to post more. I'm not going to share the formula since I don't want people to abuse it.

More Information
I really would like the players to exert their creativity. The only things that matter is that they do not contradict with what has previously been written.

Linwelin

This, good sir, sounds perfect.

Question, though. Do we get a general idea of the mansion's layout, or should we make it up as we go and you use that as a base for the actual game? Just want to know how "free" this freeform is.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Throndir

You can make it up as you go, whatever seems to work. Likely there wouldn't be so much detail that it'll restrict me when I make the mansion. Plus we can make the mansion as large as we want.

Looking things up, the largest mansion has 250 rooms. That's the Biltmore Estate. Attached are the floor plans for the Biltmore Estate. But because we're working for the oh-so-awesome-and-rich Jameson Family, the Jameson Estate is still bigger than the current biggest mansion in the world. :)

The floor plans just give you an idea. Should be something larger than that though. Sometime I'll go ahead and make an actual floor plan of the Jameson Estate on my spare time.

According to some reading I did there was 21? servant rooms in the Biltmore Estate. Lets just say the Jameson Estate has 30 servant rooms.

Servant rooms are on the basement, fourth floor, and attic.

Here's the public tourist booklet on the Biltmore Estate, that details out what rooms are what. You can use it if you want to have an idea of what rooms there can be in the Jameson mansion.

www.romanticasheville.com/Biltmore/biltmoreguide.pdf

Yas!

Quote from: Throndir on May 10, 2012, 04:55:04 PM

Sometime I'll go ahead and make an actual floor plan of the Jameson Estate on my spare time.

Can't wait XD

Ella

Quote from: Throndir on May 10, 2012, 11:23:02 AMPosting Length
I don't have any qualms on short responses. As long as people are able to respond to it, it's fine. I may be alone in this view but having a nice read, that becomes similar to a storybook or novel, is good too. If you're the type to write long and multiple paragraphs then go for it. If you're the type to write a sentence or two, that's fine too as long as it gets the message across.

Just a warning, to be fair: If you're roleplaying with me and you post less than 2 5-sentence paragraphs, I'm clicking the [fail] button for that post. >.> And, if you post 3 sentences or less, I probably won't respond to your post.

Sounds mean, I know, but I've roleplayed a lot in the past few years and I've come to find that once people start posting short replies, the roleplay will die in the near future. Especially if those people started out with decently sized posts, like 4-5 paragraphs. I've also been participating in roleplays where everyone posts 4-10 paragraphs for the past three years, so I'm used to posting a lot. If I were to write up 3 paragraphs and 1 paragraph in return, I'd feel rather insulted...