Chapter 01 - The Company of the New Dawn and the Tomb of Akhentepi

Started by pringerbeam, May 14, 2018, 08:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pringerbeam

You are all able to get a good night's rest and wake up before dawn to make it to the opening of the necropolis gates.  Dozens and dozens of fellow adventurers and a veritable zoo of pack animals and exotic beasts are hanging around the giant gates that loom guarded by a dozen or so priests of Pharasma.  The orange glow of the approaching sun lights up the area, allowing for plentiful light.  Amid the crowd a familiar trio finds your party.  "Hey there!  How did things go last night?  Do any pre-expedition celebrations?"  Calls out Rogan as he makes his way through the crowd, tugging at a camel.  Suffrei is more easily handling his beast of burden and follows behind while Sharasha sits atop the camel's hump, here eyes on the gate.

jammermoore

"Hey Rogan, last night was quite and good. I went home and spent the night prepping." Noland starts looking around for everyone else. "How was your night Rogan?"

pringerbeam

"Not that bad.  We spent the evening trying to get a hold of some holy water to try and ward off the undead.  You wouldn't believe the price these days.  I guess it's in high demand."  Replies Rogan.  "Hopefully our site won't require us to take on too many of the unliving.  We were only able to get a vial each.  How have your preparations gone?"

Oath

Lydia looks around, eyes wide at the throng of adventurers hoping to make it big. However she starts to notice something is off. Everywhere she looks. Mules. Camels. Carts. Other exotic beasts of burden. She looks to her own group. Her eyes travel to each member before finally settling on her own donkey. Fenrich tilts his head and brays quizzically. Lydia gentle scratches behind his ears. "Sorry, buddy. It looks like you're going to have to carry the load"

After being lost in her own thoughts, she focused on the conversation between Noland and Rogan. "I'd say our preparations have gone alright. They could have been better, certainly but I feel we are prepared to take on what awaits us." She flashed a small smile before going back to pet Fenrich.

pringerbeam

"I hope we all find our fortunes today.  Make our camels earn their keep."  Says Rogan smiling.  His eye dart back over behind the group.  "Ah, looks like the time has come."  With that the sun breaks over the top of the necropolis gates.  The various adventurers grow quiet and one of the pharasmans shouts.  "Alright, the gates will now be opened.  Please form lines in front of an acolyte to present your exploration permit."  As he finishes, several pahrasmans behind him move to push open the giant stone doors. 
     Sunlight streams through the gates and you are able to catch a glimpse of the sand covered streets of the necropolis within.  Just beyond the doors you see a towering obelisk, covered in glyphs and runes and capped with a glimmering metal that reflects the dawn light.  Rogan tugs at his camel, turning it towards the gates.  "Well time to queue up then.  I must say when I heard about the expeditions and lottery, I did not foresee this much standing in line.  So, did try to learn anything about your exploration site last night?  We ended up drawing some ancient barracks.  Hopefully that means we will find a nice cache of soldier's pay."

KAKnyght

[info]Prepared Spells:
Level 0 (3) - Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Stabilize
Level 1 (2) - Cure Light Wounds, Entangle

May spontaneously cast Summon Nature's Ally I as a replacement for a Level 1 Spell slot[/info]
[info]OOC:
Probably would have been wise to research the place, I just don't have the knowledge skills currently to do it.[/info]
"Hopefully we have all that we need for what lies ahead, otherwise this will truly be our trial by fire, lest we be judged and found wanting."

[info]Knowledge Nobility check; determining if I know of the top of my head anything about who Akhentepi was
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 13 + 8, total 21[/blockquote][/info]

pringerbeam

[info]Knowledge: Nobility
     Akhentepi was a general of ancient Osirion known in most records as the Scarab of Steel who lived and died before the fall of the city to the Plague of Madness.  He was an accomplished general, allowed to retire after years of service.  His most notable accomplishment was a defense of the city against a cult army in the thrall of a powerful Div in which he was able to rally several Mwangi tribes to the aid of Wati against the numerically superior horde.[/info]

pringerbeam

The line moves along at a decent clip and it is just a few minutes before your party makes it to the gates and the pharasmans.  With a simple glance at your expedition permit you are admitted into the necropolis to stand in the sandswept square just inside the gates dominated by the obelisk you could see from the living side of the walls.  Small dunes pile up against the sides of buildings and cover whatever the streets once may have been paved with.  It is as if you are walking among the dunes of the deep desert rather than the streets of a city that was once as vibrant as the town beyond the walls behind you.  The Bronze Eagles catch up to your group with Rogan calling out.  "Well, I guess this is where we part ways.  We're off to the North side of the necropolis.  Unless you're heading the same direction?"

jammermoore

Noland sees everyone start heading out "Hey Rogan see you guys later tonight at the inn good luck in there." Noland starts to look for his team members since he has only seen Lydia and Səhra so far. He also makes sure he has all his supplies ready for the day.

KAKnyght

"We are headed north as well, so we shall accompany you for awhile longer, I can not imagine much trouble from other parties here, as the Pharasman's have stated their lack of tolerance for such a thing, but I also can not imagine there are those who will try to bend that rule as much as they can get away with." I begin the long march to our destination and continue, "And if my time in the desert has taught me anything, it is that there is safety in numbers. You never know what you'll run into, perhaps not a giant sand worm here in the necropolis (OOC: Note 1) but still, things no less pleasant."

[info]Note 1: I don't think Dune-style sand worms exist in D&D or Pathfinder, maybe they shouldn't, but it sounds like if anywhere it would be this land. Oh God, zombie sand worms in the necropolis.[/info]

pringerbeam

"Sounds good."  Replies Rogan.  Your conglomerate party makes its way down the sandy streets with the other adventuring parties, the stream of explorers rapidly dwindling down to a trickle as various groups peel off down dusty alleys to find their sites.  Eventually you come to an intersection where the Bronze Eagles wave their farewell as your groups are forced to part ways.  The trio turns to make their way to the Northwest, leaving you alone among the deserted streets.  It is not long after that you find yourselves in an ancient graveyard, the spot that your map has lead you to.  After a few minutes of walking through the desiccated stumps of the graveyard, you approach a large mausoleum bearing ancient hieroglyphs that match those on the map given to you.

[info]You are now in the dungeon environment,  Refer to roll20 for the dungeon layout.  Move your tokens in accord with your actions.  When combat inevitably starts, you're stuck where you are, so keep up with moving your tokens as if it was a regular tabletop.  Draw on the map using your player color if needed.[/info]

KAKnyght

I take a moment to read the hieroglyphics (Languages known Osiriani, Ancient Osiriani) "Hmmm, what do what we have here..."

pringerbeam

From your vantage point viewing the desiccated stump flanked front of the mausoleum at an angle you see a carved stone head over the doors and beneath it carved hieroglyphs that translate to "Akhentepi: Hero and General to the Empire" and beneath this a set of dates which translate to the years 2416 AR and 2488 AR.  The side of the mausoleum that you can see from your current vantage point is carved with images of soldiers in ranks but no other hieroglyphs.

KAKnyght

[info]Perception Check on the entrance, see if there is anything else interesting or potentially dangerous before we head in.
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+4 : 14 + 4, total 18[/blockquote][/info]

SleepingSkeleton

As the walk had progresses, Alaya had seemed to grow a bit restless with no signs of any creatures roaming the streets.  After parting ways with the Bronze Eagles, encouraging them to call out if they ran into any trouble and she would be there as soon as she could if she heard them, she walked onward, strapping her shield on.  As the mausoleum draws close, she seems to regain a bit of vigor, and quickly approaches.  Standing in front of the doors, she briefly looks them over, noting any particular religious iconography. 
[info]Perception check if it's required for investigating any religious symbols.[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+1 : 11 + 1, total 12[/blockquote]
Knowledge Religion to interpret anything she finds.  [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+6 : 14 + 6, total 20[/blockquote][/info]
"Perhaps Omar and I should be in front.  I'll do my best to protect you all from any dangers we find in there," she says, waiting, not entirely patiently by the door for the others to come over.