[Prolouge] An Unadvised Trip

Started by Mysticsage, November 27, 2013, 06:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mysticsage

?On this side you?ll see-? the tour guide continued to move through the halls of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It was only a little before noon on a Monday and it showed. Few people were actually walking around leaving a kind of vacant atmosphere around the normally packed building. That meant that the tour guide and the large group of high school sophomores she was leading had almost the complete run of the place. This is your class on their yearly sophomore student trip to New York that was meant to kick off the New Year. The strange part of this year being that the trip was at the very beginning of the year instead of at the end as was the norm.

The Met had become the customary stop and thus it was less exciting and more just an excuse to try and make the small town school seem cultured, or at least that?s how most of the students felt. It was a favorite of the school's principle and he had connections in high places, so over 100 students and only 20 parents and students were forced to walk around this place on what seemed like the longest day of the year. Like a herd of cattle you all are guided through the museum with with the view adults available around the perimeter.

There was one problem that weighed heavy on everyone the heat. It was uncharacteristically warm for late august, a surprise heatwave appearing over night, and the air conditioning was struggling hard to keep the large halls and exhibits cool. As such when the group reached the more enclosed and  limited exhibits section of the museum, there were both sighs of relief and groans of despair. The idea of getting more air conditioning was so appealing that most did not even realize or care about the heat that would be caused from just over 100 people being crammed into those tighter spaces would mean. Any vent was sacred, any breeze a blessing, and any cool air was in high demand.

As you made your way in front of yet another inclosed exhibit the guide stopped. ?And know we have one of our newest exhibits on the art of the ancient civilization of Babylon that is still under renovation and closed off to the public.? The tour guide then winked before saying, ?however maybe just this once we?ll allow you all in isn?t that exciting!?

The tour guide removed a set of velvet ropes and began ushering people into the dark halls. The hall was almost completely black except for miniature lights that were meant to showcase different artifacts. Most of the minor pieces were all ready in place. You could see things like random bits of stonework and pottery depicting a myriad of different scenes. Shuffling through the tight corridors everyone enjoyed any gust of air coming their way. About half way through the hall split into another blockaded section that seemed far more spacious. A bright light could be seen vaguely off around a corner.

?What's supposed to go over there?? you all hear someone ask from within the crowd.

"That section is going to hold our jewel of the exhibition. A tome meant for the high priests in service of the king. It is supposedly over 8'000 years old, and so requires special care before being displayed so that it is not damaged. " The hall itself seems completely empty and one of the only places to find true relief from the heat.  Following the group you go back into the main museum. You all find the heat to unbearable if you don't find sanctuary soon you have no idea what might happen. Remembering what the guide had said earlier about that old book. They would need to keep something that fragile cool right? Thinking back you cannot remember anyone standing guard or in the space. Perhaps if you could just escape there you could find what you need so badly. It does not take long for you to make up your mind whether you like it or not.

It takes you a few minutes before being able to extract yourself from the mass of bodies and slowly double back to where you had been before, as desperation and curiosity pushed you to that blocked off area. Looking around you find that a handful of other students had the same idea as you all gather around the entrance to the restricted section.

Asta

Lilly padded her way silently to the to blocked-off section and joined her fellow mildly mischievous peers. It was uncharacteristic of her to do something like this on a whim, but the heat was so oppressive it made it hard to think. On the other hand, this would be a golden opportunity to see a rare historical artifact and that prospect quickened her pulse as much as the danger of getting caught.

She brushed her bangs out of her eyes and adjusted her glasses before addressing the other students in a low whisper.

"Well, it's nice to know I'm not alone in my need for air conditioning."

Linwelin

Roman was burning up. The group was too large, and the subject not nearly the kind of thing he wanted to be subjected to. He needed out. That book room vas nice, I'll head back there. And with that he slipped from the crowd, back to the room.

He began to reminisce, back to cold Russia. The servants would bring out iced tea or lemonade when it did warm up, which was always much appreciated by Roman. Oh how he wished they could be here, doing the same now. He wouldn't even mind if it was Larisa who brought it. As annoying as he occasionally found the girl, she was a nice enough. He may even have married her, if it hadn't been arranged that he would then take over his father's business. He couldn't stand all that merchant stuff. He'd much rather do research.

Which brought him to another thought. Why couldn't they take a trip to a more interesting place, like a science exhibit? That would be MUCH more engaging than this old museum.

Midway through his musings, he realized he was not alone in his endeavor to cool himself. Someone had even already spoken up. Silly me, I should really pay more attention.

"Not alone? Ha! Vould be crazy to stay in group. And book room much cooler, yes? Staying here much more logical. Besides, vas getting boring. But where are my manners, I do not believe we have met, yet. My name is Roman, it is pleasure to meet you."
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Oath

Ardelia was feeling the heat. It wasn't exactly pleasant, but it wasn't completely unbearable either. However the thought of that book is in the back of her mind. She knows that it isn't there yet, but she can't help but be curious about anything that has to do with a good book. She dips off away from the rest of the group wiping sweat from her brow as she approaches the forbidden area. She felt bad for Issac, but he hadn't noticed her slip away so it is really his own fault for not paying enough attention. She was not sure what she would be finding, but was hoping to find out more about the artifact, or look at things that were closely related.

Upon reaching the entrance to the exhibit, Ardelia catches sight of a few of her fellow schoolmates. She is not particularly familiar with any of them and it seems two of them are currently having a conversation. It appears to be two blondes, one male one female. Both are much taller than Ardelia, just from eyeballing it. Not really one to take the lead in these situations, she stands kind of close to the entrance, near the two that are talking. She catches the male say that his name is Roman, he seems to have a bit of an accent like he is not from around here. Then again a European immigrant being around is hardly uncommon. Many would find Ardelia to be far more strange than this guy named Roman. Through his accent though, the guy seemed nice enough.

Ardelia gathers up her courage and speaks up to the two that are talking. She wasn't very good at dealing with strangers.

"Hi... I-I'm Ardelia. Sorry to interrupt but are you also coming back to this interesting exhibit?"

Stuttering was a bit embarrassing for her, but she couldn't help it. As soon as she was finished talking she had wished that she could talk to everyone as easily as her brother Noel, and friend Issac. Noticing that a few more people were drifting in, She did her best to move out of the way to accommodate the newcomers to the little circle that was forming. At least now if there was some sort of problem, she would not be getting in trouble alone.

Asta

Lilly studied Roman for a moment, tall and lanky with outstandingly fair hair, his accent sounded... Russian maybe? He seemed pleasant enough and it would be prudent to at least give her name.

"Lilly, nice to meet you."

As she went to offer her hand in greeting she heard from behind Roman a tiny stutter of an introduction and peaked around the towering boy to find its source. She raised an eyebrow at what she saw. Tiny frame, inky-hair, striking mismatched eyes... Her quiet introduction was almost endearing. She seemed the little sister type. A cool breeze from the air conditioning made her skin prickle, or was it something else?

Lilly smiled gently in her direction.

"Ardelia was it? Yeah, I couldn't help that it piqued my interest."

Throndir

The heat was pissing him off. It's fine when its used for cooking, but when it's used against people? No way. He remembered last year when the damn school made him go to places like these. Who the hell even wants to go to a museum? Oh, that's right. The principal. It was common knowledge that the old guy loved the exhibit. It was nothing but old pieces of art that no one really cared about - probably fitting for their school head. Sure, the first time was alright, but a second time?

He moved his hand through his hair, feeling the dampness of his sweat against his head and hand. As he thought about the trip. This year was worse than the last. It wasn't this warm, it wasn't this boring, nor was it this crowded! He was one of the first to sneak away, but slowly and surely more of his classmates gathered. He glared angrily at the crowd around him. It wasn't likely that anyone would notice his glaring anyways, everyone thought him to be some delinquent. No one really paid attention to delinquents. There was a hint of sadness in the thought, but Brian brushed it away. He was used to it.

He noticed his three classmates nearby standing and talking not a few feet away. They looked familiar; he probably had some of them in his classes last year before. He shrugged as he realized that the three were introducing themselves. This was probably the first time the three actually met. For an instant he considered joining them, talk about the museum or the heat, or how much of a dumb-ass their principal was, or maybe introduce himself.

He pulled down the hat he was wearing, covering his eyes.

No. That was just stupid.

Lance

"Hey, nice to meet you all!" Kevin said casually, as everyone began introducing themselves. Like them, he had also moved away from the group, but, unlike them, it was not because of the heat. The guy even had on a light fur-lined coat despite the sudden heatwave terrorizing the place and was now smiling quite contentedly, without a drop of sweat on his forehead.

Thus, he wasn't drawn to the spot from any need to stay cool (he hardly cared about stuff like that); he was drawn in by the people. He was already bored with the museum's tour after all, and when he saw a small group of people break off to do their own thing, he found himself curious as to who they were and what they had in mind.

But to be perfectly honest, he was also curious about the book.
"A wish? Okay, genie, make me a ham sandwich."

Linwelin

He thinks, and motions to each as he speaks, "Now let's see...Ardelia and Lilly...and...one in fur coat, I do not believe I got your name. With such coat, you must have great stamina! Commendable!"

'It is pleasure to meet you all. You seem like great people, despite upbringing. I would love to one day hear your stories. Ah, but first! Let us make good of this trip, yes? Certainly there are interesting things to be found that tour guide avoids. Like this book! He points, "Sure, it is just old book, but why give it whole room? The rest we have seen last year, yes?"

Roman was happy to see so many people introducing themselves. He enjoyed meeting new people, as his childhood had kept him doing so. It was one of the happier reasons he came to a foreign country for school. After being cloistered and taught in his home back in Russia, with anyone who needed to see him coming to his very room, he had not known the refreshing feeling of meeting and befriending complete strangers.

But then, he realized someone had followed their idea, or maybe even lead it he did not know, and was keeping to himself. He looked a little rough, but felt that he was still a good man, despite his looks. He decided to call out, "You, standing alone over there. Come and join us! It is more fun than wandering on your own, yes?
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Neko

A bead of sweat ran down Serena's forehead, her violet eyes looking at the art pieces with little interest. Like many others, she found most of the art rather boring. But, despite the dullness of the museum, she was excited to be there. Traveling was one of her favorite things! And, despite the heat, she was much more welcoming of the sun than the rain. "Ahh..." Serena let out a sigh of relief as she pulled her thick blonde hair back into a pony tail, the cool air of the special exhibit feeling nice on her neck. The darkness of the room gave it both an interesting, and mysterious appeal...something the rest of the museum had sorely lacked in thus far.  She was almost sad as they left the room, a wave of heat washing over her and the others. 

As they continued through the stifling halls, Serena couldn't help but notice their group had thinned out a bit. She glanced back, catching a couple of her classmates sneaking off. Serena smiled as she casually followed after them, curious as to what they were all up to...And also hoping to find refuge from the heat. Coming aorund the corner, she found a small crowd of her peers had gathered back aorund the roped off exhibit. She walked  over to the little group. Serena seemed to recognize a few people, but wasn't close with any of them. "Hey guys." She greeted sweetly. "Hot huh? Reminds me my trip to Mexico last year! Man, that was crazy." Serena lied as she quickly fanned herself with her hands. She glanced at the exhibit, longing for the coolness they had felt while inside not long ago. She wasn't quite brave enough to go in on her own though - Or be the first one to step inside.

Lance

"Mexico, huh?" The young man said, raising his eyebrow as another classmate decided to join them. He grinned wryly.  "Nice place," he remarked while turning to face the newcomer directly.

As soon as he saw the girl, however, Kevin immediately recognized her. Then again, it would be difficult finding anyone who couldn't identify the school's number one idol. Top grades, good looks, and a sweet personality altogether made her the target of affection for a growing number of males at school. Thus, it was utter blasphemy for any among the male populace to know nothing about her.

Kevin spent a moment in thought.

If he recalled correctly, her name was either "Serena" or "Lorena..." It was something-ena. Of that, he was sure. But apart from her name and face, he had to admit he knew little about her.

He shrugged. Perhaps he could amend that now. He didn't want to be seen as a blasphemer, after all.

But when he looked out among the rest of the cast, he found that he was equally as intrigued with each one. From the eccentric Russian transfer student who spoke with a strange accent to the half-breed girl with a genetic defect, everyone present brought something new and interesting to the table.

"Humanity really is something," the young man observed, regaining his smile. "By the way, Roman, Ardelia, Lilly, Mr. Delinquent and... Lorena, right?" Kevin asked, listing each one's name but still unsure about the last (and the second last).

"Anyways, you guys can call me 'Kevin' for now. I'm most pleased to meet you all."
"A wish? Okay, genie, make me a ham sandwich."

Hasabushi

Pij was hot, really hot, the sweat on his brow protested against his persistent wiping. Not like it did any good, the heat was unbearable and his head felt like an old frying pan, the cast iron ones to be specific, like his grandmother used to use.

He remembered back when she used to let him smell the eggs as they cooked, her using barely a drop of oil. "Don't touch it.", she would say. Of course Pij never listened, he was never prone to being obedient it just wasn't in his nature. So often he would get burned, never really learned his lesson, not really. It was therefore not really an issue for him to leave the group, he didn't care about rusty old relics, he wasn't even sure why they had come to the museum. Yeah it was the only real attraction in town, through really it wasn't much of one at all. It was the gust of cool air that caught his attention...

Finding the source proved uneventful save for the handful of other students who had had apparently the same idea. "Great" he thought to himself, before dryly coughing into the air. "What's up?", he said trying to remain cool and collective. He knew most of the students, not really by name, but could recognize their faces. He scratched his head briefly as another gust of air from the vent washed over his now tepid brow, at least he wasn't hot anymore, bored but not hot.
Carrence Wayne 'Pij'

Mysticsage

Suddenly as you all chat appreciating what little breeze that is coming your way you feel an electrical buzz come through the air, which quiets all conversation setting a chill down all your spines. For a moment you all stand in near silence shaking off the strange feeling. All eyes are drawn to the corded off section shrouded in darkness, what lay beyond was completely obscured.  Led by curiosity of the book or this mysterious energy one of you jump the rope to have a look at the book beyond. Once one of you did it each of you follows along into the darkness driven like each before you for one reason or another.

Roman taking up the rear sees a streak of long hair out of the corner of his eye, but turning you see nothing and enter with the rest assuming it was just your imagination. The hallway to where the book is being kept is only lit by dim pot lights keeping almost everything in long shadows. They obviously have not finished redoing the lights for this area. You must watch for loose hanging wiring and spare bits of tarp. As you round a corner you are met with an unexpected smell. Burning candle wax maybe?

As you round the corner you all surprised by what you see. Instead of a book in a case you see it lying open to the elements unprotected and unattended.  A single candle stands burning on top of an ornately decorated page of what must be the Babylonian religious tome a drop of wax falling onto it every now and again. Two slips of what look like paper lay on the page opposite. As you step closer youth can feel once again that strange energy seemingly pulsating from the pedestal.  The wisps of smokes being produced from the candle smell of a strange wood as they waft in your direction as everyone enters the space.

Oath

Unable to resist her curiosity, Ardelia hops over the rope and starts heading down the hallway. She hadn't said much else to anyone, preferring to observe but a book this old would have to be interesting. As she led the way she remained silent. As she reaches a bend in the dimly lit hall, a strange smell reaches her nose. I thought that they were supposed to be keeping people out of this area... So why does it seem that someone was back here recently? The scent of what could be candle wax reaches her nose, and as she rounds the corner Ardelia's suspicions are affirmed. A candle sat upon the valuable artifact. It didn't make any sense to her but at this point Ardelia knew she had to keep going.

The girl rushes over to the book, in a bit of a panic and examines the pages. The smoke making its way into her eyes, she looks at the pieces of paper that are sitting on the book. She reaches out for one, hoping to get an idea of what it is and who could have potentially left it here. This definitely didn't look like it was a planned part of the exhibit. It looked more like one would see passed off as a magical ritual in different TV shows or movies. Either way, this field trip just got a lot more exciting.

Asta

After seeing Ardelia scurry off into the unknown, Lilly adjusted her glasses, hopped the barrier and followed suit. As she walked quietly into the gloom she caught sight of the artifact standing upon a lone pedestal, a lit candle burning above it. An exotic scent hung in the room that was almost cloying and the air was mysteriously electric. Smells like cheap incense in here.

Lilly quietly sidled up beside Ardelia, eying the tome wearily as a glob of wax dripped down the side of the candle and onto the exposed page. Her heart beat double time as she studied the text, she had always enjoyed mysterious things like this, it was probably what attracted her so much to history. As badly as she wanted to inspect it in greater detail she reigned in her curiosity with trademarked caution. It seemed like Ardelia, however, was unable to keep herself from continuing her own investigation. Lilly watched her reach for the book slowly and cautiously, and she felt a quick jolt of protectiveness.

"Uhhh, are you sure you want to do that?"

Oath

Ardelia had withdrawn into her own world. She heard the voice of a girl beside her, but could not focus on what words were said. Examining the tome was the top priority at the moment, even if it was not the most reasonable approach. A chance like this would never come again.