FWC App

Started by mrlemke, July 19, 2012, 11:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrlemke

This is in response to the app idea, which is discussed in the topic about improving the site.

If I were to make an app for FWC, it would be in Phonegap (www.phonegap.com), an open source mobile development framework that uses HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. The platforms I know I would be able to support is Android, because that is the only device I have. I could support iPhone too (because my wife has one), however I do not have an Apple developer subscription. Blackberry, Windows Phone 7, and webOS can be supported in the sense "here's a the package, don't know if it will run but it should."

In order to achieve the most platform independance, I will not use any hardware specific features unless absolutely necessary. However, it should be quite unnecessary since I'm probably just going to create a client to access the information on the website and forum.

If there are any features, you should post them and I can see how viable it is to include into the app and whether or not it would even fit with the app.

Depending on the interest level for the app as both a marketing tool and convenience tool, I will make the app in my spare time (about an hour or two every morning) and provide regular status updates.

Hasabushi

Hey Dan, that sounds awesome, wouldn't mind having an app just for accessing the forums :D

mrlemke

Tomorrow morning I'll see if I can't get a design done and scan it (I can't design anything on the PC, my terrible drawing is made even more terrible upon using a mouse). I have an idea in mind already.

Everyone should feel free to pick it apart too. I'm not very good at UI design, I usually just copy other UIs and tweak it to were I want it.

mrlemke

I made a basic mock up of the first screen of the app. I am aware of the link borders screwing with the phone border; it's just a mock up so I don't care ha ha.

Pick it apart and let me know if this design is going in the right direction.

Also, the profile link would be were you access the forum PMs and it would look like "Profile (1)" if you got a message. None of the links, or anything, is actually functional except the links I copied from the forum.

Mock up (no download)

lightspeed15

If we make some sort of graphic for this it would look amazing...if Hasabushi is up for it, me and him can do some sort of joint graphic creation or somethinf

mrlemke

I used enyo and it's onyx library to improve the interface (it will still be deployed in phonegap). Since I am going to be moving my server, I put a compressed file (.zip) on an old project I was messing with. The current version of the app has only been tested in Chrome.

Download

lightspeed15

So is thing still going? Or...

mrlemke

It's "in planning" right now while I clear some other crap off my plate.