[Jean] Chapter 9: Martial Prowess

Started by Throndir, December 17, 2018, 11:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

QuoteTraining
Unarmed Strike: 3/6

It was around noon when Dalina came back. She brought with her a tray. The moment she arrived, Ren perked up.

"Master... We... get to eat more food?" Ren licked her lips, remembering the stew from last night.

Dalina waved with her free hand at you.

"It's ze lunch time now is it? Ahaha..." Vitaliya mumbled. "I brought my own food..." The trainer said excusing herself.

"Vitaliya not going to join us?" Dalina asked when she noticed the trainer walking away. "Oh... well, that means just more for us!" She smiled happily as Ren herself moved up closer, her eyes sparkling.

Then... She opened it.

"I made them all myself! Enjoy!" She said proudly.

Ren immediately dipped one of her tentacles in eagerly, and was about to put it in her mouth.

QuoteYou can stop her if you wish.

pringerbeam

"Yeah, actually usually people eat three meals a day.  Sometimes we get to snack between meals too...  Um...  Lunch eh?"  He said seeing the meal laid before him.  "Sorry, it just uh...  Looks different than the food I'm used to..."  He saw Ren eagerly go for the food and took up a piece of what looked like it might have been fish.  Anja's words from that morning played through his mind.  "Hey Ren, before you tuck in, let me just say...  Sometimes the flavor of foods can be...  Intense..."  With that, he let Ren eat the food and stuck the morsel he had picked from the spread into his mouth, bracing for impact.

pringerbeam

[info]Physical Resist Check[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+16 : 15 + 16, total 31[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

The moment Ren put it in her mouth, she paused, though, she didn't spit it out or anything. You could tell that she was trying to figure out the new flavors that were assaulting her mouth. Her face was devoid of expression. When you put it in your mouth, the awful flavor spread throughout your mouth. It was a combination of bitter, sweet, salty, with the grains that looked similar to rice, seemingly feel like mush in your mouth. There was a hint of a charred flavor to it. But surprisingly, you managed to down it, it was true it looked horrible, but once you get through the biting initial taste, it wasn't that bad.

[okay]You have gained a title『Survivor of Food Poisoning』[/okay]
QuoteWith your ridiculous modifier, you won't fail even if you roll a 1, so treat this as normal food.

Ren seemed to smack her lips. She seemed to be of the same mind, and started to dip her tentacle back into one of the dishes.

Dalina on the other hand was overjoyed. She was literally beaming.

"Is it good? It's good right?"

A short moment after that, Vitaliya came back hesitantly, realizing you and Ren had eaten some. She had a completely confused look on her face.

"Want some too?" Dalina asked.

Vitaliya took one look at the food, then looked at Ren who was stuffing herself with the food, then lastly at you.

"Is zat a good idea?"

pringerbeam

Jean simply shrugged.  "It's not that bad.  Though, I would definitely say it doesn't taste like anything I have ever had before."  Jean ate another bite.  "What exactly is it?  I'm not sure that any of these foods are ones you can find back where I'm from"

Throndir

QuoteRetroactively applied the Training changes, your Unarmed Strike training should now be at 5/6.

"Let's see... Fish our fishkeepers keep. The grains are a type of rice... But my method makes them a bit mushy. That one over there is fermented beans... Along with those vegetables. I was trying to the same process for some of the rice. Oh! And there's some salted roe too in there somewhere."

Dalina explained as she pointed to each of the bowls and containers. She then grabbed a spoon and place some in her mouth. She made a face at first but began eating it normally.

Thi was enough to convince Vitaliya, so she herself grabbed one of the spoons, and hesitantly scooped some up, and placed it in her mouth. Her face soured, but she didn't spit it out. However, she did decide not to eat anymore.

Some of the students too ate their own food watching intently, but as Vitaliya was being friendly, and even shared her own food with the two of you, one by one the other students started to near, and even talk with you, Ren, and Dalina. The moment a female student neared though, Ren's tentacles twitched, and you could tell she had started looking hungrily at them.

[blockquote]Ren Will 1d20+8 : 11 + 8, total 19[/blockquote]

Throndir

Ren didn't seem to strike out though, remembering what Dalina had talked about, but you could tell it was bothering her. Instead, she did sat closer to you, and wrapped you up in her tentacles.

pringerbeam

Jean saw Ren's restraint and smiled.  "See?  That wasn't so bad now was it?"  Jean looked to the newcomer.  "HI, I guess we haven't really had a chance to get acquainted.  Who're you?"  He asked as he took another bite of his lunch.

Throndir

The girl looked vibrant, and she had an easy smile.

"Dasha. And you are... Jean Valois the master of the malevolently monstrous menagerie of madness!" The girl said cheerily. "Everyone's been talking about you, you know? We were all kind of afraid of you when you first appeared yesterday... But if sensei seems to fine with you, then I guess it's okay with everyone else too."

"Jean's ze hero. He's my star pupil! Two days, and he's already almost mastered fighting unarmed... Its ridiculous to think. You hear that everyone? Don't let ze hero show you up!"

Dasha laughed, and so did the others. From that point on, many of the other trainees introduced themselves.They talked about themselves and of their hopes of you beating the demons. They all seemed to be in awe of you. Some of the trainees has begun sharing their own food as well, which Ren eagerly bit into. However, time and time again, Ren continued to snack lightly on the food Dalina prepared. One of the trainees had been brave enough to try it, but the poor kid ended up vomiting on the spot. This only merited laughter of course. Over all, the atmosphere was light.

QuoteSome assumptions above, let me know if things need tweaking, we can also RP that out more thoroughly if you want as well! Roll your next Training check for the second 4 hours, unless you have other plans.

pringerbeam

Jean finished his lunch with the other pupils and resumed his training, once again working on his strikes and even trying a kick or two to try and get the hang of the motion.  Vitaliya had a point, he never had tried any martial arts back in his old world but he was never that coordinated or strong and yet here he found his ability to move and execute the maneuvers Vitaliya had taught him to be easier than ever before.

[info]Training Test [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+6 : 18 + 6, total 24[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

The next 4 hours of training wasn't just matches with Vitaliya. The rest of the other pupils found it more comfortable being around you, and Vitaliya had thought to give it a go that you would spar with the others as well, while continually giving instruction on both form and methods of attacking. Dalina had stayed behind and watched, practicing in some of the drills herself, though with Dasha giving her tips this time around. The slimeling too wanted to get in on the action, and had, for a short bit, pretend to be 'striking' out with its slime tentacles, though, you noticed its reach was far from the reach of what you remember of the original. When the day was done and everyone was getting tired, Vitaliya had been grinning.

"Zere has been no others as fast as learning as you... Two days of mastery over ze basics..."

QuoteLet me know if you plan to do a 3rd bout of training, which would require a CON roll. If not, let me know if you have other things you wanted to do for Day 2.

pringerbeam

Jean wiped his brow and put his hands on God's hips.  "Thanks, I got to say: this is a good start.  Hopefully now..."  He walked over to one of the weapon racks and picked up a training spear.   "I can get started on something a bit more complicated."

[info]Training spear proficiency

Training check[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+6 : 20 + 6, total 26[/blockquote]
Constitution check[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+11 : 9 + 11, total 20[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

It was around 8 PM when Vitaliya and you had finished. The rest of the pupils had already gone home, saying goodbye to you, but Dalina was still sitting out. Since then, she had brought forth a lantern, and had been enjoying the evening peacefully as she watched you and Vitaliya continue to spar with the spears this time. As this was the first training session, Vitaliya had focused on the basics, such as how to hold it, or attack with it.

You were able to get some progress, and you didn't feel tired either.

QuoteTrainings
Spear Proficiency: 1/8

pringerbeam

Jean finished his training and looked to Vitaliya.  "Well that's enough for today I think."  He took a swig from one of the water jugs and exhaled hard before turning to Dalina.  "I think it's time for dinner.  Are you cooking today or is it Anja again?"  Jean gathered up his stuff and began to make his way back to the home.

Throndir

"Well... It was supposed to be my turn tonight, but I was busy with... umm... hero duties and watching over you... So... I'm sure Anja took care of it though!" Dalina forced a smile.

"I'll make it up tomorrow!" Dalina said as she began packing the few things she brought with them.

"But nevermind that... You managed to get a lot of practice in, and seeing you throw those punches, I can't help but be a bit jealous? I've gone through a similar kind of training years ago, but it took a hell of longer time than 2 days to get to the point you're at. Plus... You're already moving on to weapons, huh? Were you always a quick learner back in your world?"

Like before the slimeling perched on Ren's head, while Gust was flying about, skipping from tree to tree, continually keeping an eye out, and traveling with the group.

Eventually arriving at the home, you saw Anja waiting outside, with a lantern herself as she waved towards you. She then began jogging towards you, finally stopped when she was in front of the group.

"Guys! My training was... different today..." She looked at you specifically.

"And umm... hero, I have a favor to ask..." Anja began. "Can you... come with me to my training tomorrow?"