[Zurlane] Chapter 4: The Fires of Hiedelswatch

Started by Licel, August 19, 2018, 02:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

Words you never would have expected came from Aurora.

I'm sorry, Zurlane. I lied.

A circle appeared then. It looked very familiar. Manifesting in front of you, it was targeted right at Iona.

[spoiler]

Do you think AI Units can... sleep?

"H-hero?" Iona stepped back, just as the beam fired.

[/spoiler]

The lazer fired off then. It wasn't as powerful as the earlier attempt that was released on the demon from before, but the beam still crackled with electricity.

Iona was immediately blasted against the door, as blood spluttered out from her mouth. A moment later she crumpled to the ground.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Licel

"Aurora, explain yourself immediately!"

Zurlane stood there looking terrified color drained from his face.

"I demand an answer! Now! Now damn it!"

Zurlane runs over to the body of Iona. He picks her up gently and taking her out of the warehouse.

"You and I are going to have to talk."

Zurlane's white and terrified color slowly becomes replaced with hot raw guilt and rage.

To the first Valkyre he sees he barks very angerly: "General Iona has been slain by a demonic assassin. I could not kill the fiend, be aware and move as rapidly as you can. For now you have been promoted to the leader of the Western fire operations team. What is your name my Valkyre?" He says trying to keep his head.

After her answer he says. " I am taking the information of Iona's passing to Princess Alvilda at once." and makes his way towards the middle of the compond.

On his way on a lonely side street by itself he stops. He steps into a side building for a moment of privacy puts Iona's body down and says to himself. "What did you see Aurora... what did you do? Would you ever try and hurt me? Hurt another? Hurt someone innocent? Was she trying to do something I didn't see because I was distracted...? Did I anger you? I don't understand." All of his anger was gone now and replaced by confusion and sadness.

"There has to be an answer here somewhere." He thinks over how Iona was acting before Aurora killed her and tries to play everything back in his mind up until she was killed. He then begins inspecting the body.

Sense Motive
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+4 : 1 + 4, total 5[/blockquote]

Was there anything on her that hinted that she was... working with the enemy?

Perception
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+3 : 2 + 3, total 5[/blockquote]

Is she some kind of impostor and a demon in disguise?

Knowledge Nature
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+9 : 9 + 9, total 18[/blockquote]
Thank you for letting me fight in the war.

Licel

OOC: As an addition to my last post I wanted to add a little more. Also my phone doesn't like when I highlight and try to change the color of text

Zurlane was suddenly hit with a grotesque and sickening feeling... "What if she isn't actually dead?" He thought.

Zurlane quickly tossed Iona's shield and sword across the room and checked her pulse.

Healing

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+3 : 3 + 3, total 6[/blockquote]

Throndir

"Me? Yes sir! Mine name is Audhild. Thou art the hero everyone hath been talking about? I shalt do as thou requests of me."

[info]Sense Motive: 5
You could not point to anything specific whether or not Iona acted differently. You've only had 3 encounters with her thus far and was not enough information to get a good reading.

Perception: 5
As you recall, there doesn't seem to be anything on her body, or anything at least in appearance that seemed off with Iona. Like the rest of the valkyrie, she had little wing-like protrusions at the top of her head, but that was all that was unique.

INT Check: 14
Knowing what you knew about demons, which wasn't a whole lot, you couldn't figure out if she was some sort of demon or not.

Heal: 6
Looking at the body, and checking for her pulse, you realized she was still alive, but it was a faint pulse.[/info]
QuoteSince last update
Iona Talk and Move: +1 round
Zurlane Talk and Move: +1 round
Zurlane Talk + Aurora Attack: +1 round
Zurlane Pick up Body: +1 round
Zurlane Promote Random Valkyrie: +1 round
Zurlane Move midway to Center: +2 rounds
Zurlane Drop Iona gently: +1 round
Zurlane Inspect Body: +1 round

Elapsed Rounds: 28

Defense Team
Commander: Alvilda
Army size: 99
Distance From Gate: 120 ft.
Currently: Engaging Enemy

1 Valkyrie lost
[include u=2]Battle entered on round 15[/include]

Fire Team - West End Supplies
Commander: Iona
Army size: 50
Supplies at Center (From West End workers): 50
Supplies at West End Roads: 50
Currently: Moving to Gather - 3 rounds remaining
Next step: Gather

Fire Team - East End Supplies
Commander: Eydis
Currently: Fighting demons - 10 rounds remaining
Next step: Moving to gather - 3 rounds remaining

Demon sighted, Valkyrie are fighting it off.

You hear some shouting nearby, one of the Valkyrie is yelling for a defense as a demon is harassing their supply gathering.

Licel

"Iona... What did Aurora see in you when she chose to try and cut you down? I... What do I do?

Zurlane draws his rapier. He very gently slices his palm and watches as the blood drips onto the blade.

"I am lost and I stand here on the edge of madness... a hero I am not... no barely even a man.

Zurlane presses the tip of his rapier right into the skin on Iona's chest without breaking the skin, anger, determination, misery, and other emotions Zurlane could not place were welling inside him. His mind was talking to him in pictures, colors, senses, and memories. If he was going to judge and take Iona's life he had to be certain of Aurora's reason for if she had turned her back on him he was ready to cast himself into the void.

"Iona, High General of the Valenhom Valkyrie Sisterhood you have been judged and are deemed to be executed by Aurora herself. Your life is now in my hands. I give you one chance to speak. Defend yourself. Tell me, what did Aurora see? I do not understand. I do not want to do this..."

Tears begin to we'll in Zurlane's eyes but he grips the hilt of his sword tighter and tighter.

"...Please... this nightmare is unending. Iona... speak... please..."

Throndir

She didn't speak. She was completely unconscious from the wounds earlier. You hear a commotion outside.

"Where is the High General?"

Licel

"She is in here! But you are to take orders from Audhild now, the general can not be trusted magics have tainted her mind and I am keeping her here for her own safety. Enter if you must."

Zurlane calls to the door. His determination and focus on Iona remain unflinching.

"I originally mistook her for dead. She is still alive, but barely."

Throndir

The Valkyrie came in.

"Magicks hath tainted her mind?" The Valkyrie asked peering in, she grimaced at the sight, noticing the burn marks on the general's body.

"Thou must be the hero everyone hath been talking about... Hero, Alvilda hath engaged the demons in the center just now... Some demons have snuck out to the eastern supply carriers, but they art handling the situation at this moment."

QuoteSince last update
Zurlane Talk + Valkyrie Reply : +1 round

Elapsed Rounds: 29

Defense Team
Army size: 99
Distance From Gate: 120 ft.

Commander: Iona
Currently: Moving to Gather - 2 rounds remaining
Next step: Gather

Currently: Fighting demons - 9 rounds remaining
Next step: Moving to gather - 3 rounds remaining

Demon sighted, Valkyrie are fighting it off.

Licel

Without moving his gaze from Iona's unconscious body, focused very intently on the woman in front of him he motions for the new Valkyre to enter.

"Come inside please, I need a witness for what may or may not happen and I take no pleasure in this..."

"Tell me your name" Zurlane says in a slightly quivering voice.

Beads of sweat start to form and drip off of Zurlane's forehead he finds himself breathing very heavily.

"Sister... have you ever been asked to do something that... you do not think you have the strength to do? To do something that your very heart aches and begs for any other way past? To be expected to lift a weight that you think will crush you the moment you attempt to take it on?" Zurlane's expression turns to stone the only part of his face moving is his mouth.

"I will explain everything to you sister, please sit next to me..."

Zurlane clears his throat and swallows.

"I am not who you think I am... no I am a hero who was sent to you by the goddess, but I only have half of a soul... the other half of my soul is a being named Aurora. She was sent with me by the goddess and lives with me... lives inside of me as well. Her job is to keep me safe and with her protections I have been able to make it this far in attempting to save all of you." Zurlane takes a pause. "Do you understand everything so far?"

Zurlane adjusts his grip on the sword pressed right against Iona's skin, making great care that he does not cut her but keeping it lined up directly against her heart.

"While I was going to check in with Iona and see how her fire team was handling its duty I discovered her in the storehouse. While I was in the store house she had a conversation with me... about desires that she felt, an invitation to... well I'm sure you understand." Zurlane clears his voice again.

"In this moment Aurora rose up and struck Iona down. I thought that Ioan was killed by the extreme blast, and was attempting to take her to Alvilda, but in my moment of transporting Iona I discovered that she had survived, only barely. I did not know what to do sister. I looked for any clue that I could, inspected Iona's person for any indication of trechery, thought over all of her words and movements, but I can not find any evidence. The only thing that I have to go on is Aurora... knew that in some way I was in danger or threatened by High General Iona... a threat that I can not find. I know that it is my duty to trust in Aurora's judgement as she was given to me for protection by the goddess herself... but I can not know Aurora's reason... for she used the last of her energy for today in the blast that knocked Iona unconscious... She is unresponsive..."

Zurlane's voice began to quiver again. "I have feelings for this woman, I felt from the beginning that I could trust her... Do you understand? It is much more than the desires I felt before I assure you. I would have considered her a friend. Was proud to fight by her side, and I know she has done great things for your people. I can not understand why she would need to be cut down. The only possible answers I can guess are that foul magics made her attempt to strike out at me as an assassin for our enemy... or that the woman in front of me isn't who she appears to be, but is an imposter in some way."

"Sister, help me... for if she is corrupted and I do not finish her... I risk us all... but if I end her... and there was a mistake... I take an innocent life and I remove a champion of your people from this world. I do not wish to kill her." Zurlane takes a deep breath and holds it for a long time.

He eventually breaths out.

"What would you do sister... if you were me?"

Throndir

"Mine name is Winona, hero... Zurlane? Thy name is spoken oft with mine brethren. Our hero that is prophesied to save us... Iona is mine commander. She hath brought us through many skirmishes against the demons... Hard I find it if she were to be a traitor. You art our hero... but this Aurora? Praytell, is she considered too, one of our saviors?"

"I hath been fighting for as longeth as I can remember. Mine mother before me too hath died in this godforsaken war with the demon, as did hers... I maketh no illusion that I will break that curse that hath befallen the Valkyrie... Nay, this world. I too will likely fall in battle as a proud warrior."

"Hero Zurlane, mayhaps tis not my place to tell thee, but us Valkyrie are honorable! If thine choice is to kill her, then so be it, but... I owe the general mine own life, as did many others of us. Tis why she is our High General."

The Valkyrie drew her blade and pointed it at you.

"The moment we turn upon ourselves, tis the moment the demons hath truly won. I choose to believe in mine brethren. And thou? What doth thou choose to believe in? What doth the hero who is prophesied to save us, say?"

Licel

Zurlane moved in slow motion. "I will not end her life." Zurlane said, not taking his eyes off of Iona. He slowly took his blade and put it back in his sword hilt.

"Winona... your courage and faith in something is admirable. I have learned from you this day. You see a world, you live in a world so bleak and yet you find the courage to stand for what you believe in. You accept that you may fall and you have a state that... you can default to if you are lost... a compass in the storm." Zurlane's eyes filled with pits of sadness turn to Winona

"We speak of this to no one... I assure you everything I have told you is truths. But I leave a very important task with you... If she is truly corrupted and can not be saved or if it is discovered that she has lost her honor and has turned her back on us. You must promise me... you must end her life, do you understand? It is what she deserves, the hand that saved her life must be the one that corrects its course."

Zurlane stands up. "I know you trust your general... and I do too... but Aurora... I trust her more... yet... I go against my judgment because I trust you." Confidence returns to Zurlane

"You have shown me this." Zurlane gently takes the blade that Winona pointed at him by the point and walks it up with his hands until it is pointed straight up and looks it up and down as it glints in the rays coming through the window. The sight of the glint calmed him and for a moment it did not look like a weapon of war to him. He saw the blade as a weapon of peace. As a tool that could give confidence over a tool built to kill.

"You are willing to strike down the one who was prophesied to save your people in order to save your general. Were willing to risk everything for something you identified as a universal truth. You are the hero today you know... your heart is strong and true. Though you have only met me, though you may not trust me... I ask for you to take an oath with me today, here and now. A blood oath, an oath that today you and I will work together, that we will train vigorously, that we will slay many demons, that we will not lose our way again, that we can depend on each other. Here in my weakest moment we can start anew... I will show you ways of war, will teach you strategies, will make you a general to stand the test of time, but you must help me see the light in the dark. A blood oath that will be paid when we retake Hiedelswatch or when we have both died trying." Zurlane slid his hand down Winona's blade gently make sure he did not cut himself.

"Will you join with me Winoan and take a leap into the unknown to save your people and walk a path with me that is uncharted? I must warn you... though I am a hero and am committed to save your people, I wield darkness itself, suffocating darkness, but darkness can be tamed and controlled. Alone in the dark I can not contain it, but maybe with your light... I can find the way."

Zurlane's eyes move from the blade to Winona's face.

"I ask you again... will you join me?"

Throndir

She relaxed the grip on her sword when it was pointed straight up. But Winona never fully relaxed her guard, and didn't sheath her sword either.

"Hero Zurlane... Tis true that thou is our prophesied saviour. Mayhaps indeed tis my lack of faith that I no longer have the Spirit to manifest the goddess' divinity... Flight, or powers that the Princess wields, or ancestors from many generations ago. However..."

"I see with mine own eyes... Thou brings a sword to mine general's heart. Praytell, if I hath not been here, what mayhaps would've happened? Would thou hath killed her hither and now?"

"Thou seeks to make a blood oath with me, after I hath seen what could've happened... Mine eyes are indeed of suspicion. Mine sisters and I hath been fighting the demons whence we heard the news that a hero was summoned. Forsooth, we rejoiced."

"Are thou really our hero? With the death of our High General in this hour, surely it would hath caused mayhem within our ranks. The Valkyrie would've been in disarray... Art thou the hero, or an agent of the demons?"

She narrowed her eyes and stepped back, but she continued to have her sword readied.

"Thy darkness that thou claims to have... Tis not strange that a hero of our goddess mayeth have such a thing? I wilt not make that blood oath with thee, nay. I ask thee instead to let me take mine sister and general, Iona."

"Tis not strange that thou didn't call for help? Instead... thou brings our wounded general here? Away from prying eyes and ears? I know not what manner of attack Iona hath suffered... but those burns... If thou truly is our hero, thou shalt giveth her to me. If she indeed mayeth still be alive, I wilt save her."

Throndir

QuoteAssuming 30 words per round for dialogue duration. (This is actually talking really fast).

Since last update
Zurlane Talk #23: +19 rounds
Winona Talk #24: +7 rounds
Zurlane Talk #25: +14 rounds
Winona Talk #26: +8 rounds

Total: +48 rounds

Elapsed Rounds: 87

Defense Team
Army size: 54
Distance From Gate: 93 ft.

45 Valkyrie fallen

History Since Last Update:
2 rounds: Moving to Gather
6 rounds: Gathering
2 rounds: Moving to Deposit - Interrupted by Demons
10 rounds: Fighting Demons, 2 Valkyrie lost, 46 Valkyrie Remaining
2 rounds: Moving to Deposit
6 rounds: Depositing
4 rounds: Moving to Gather
4 rounds: Gathering - Interrupted by Demons
10 rounds: Fighting Demons, 5 Valkyrie lost, 41 Valkyrie Remaining
2 rounds: Gathering

Commander: Audhild
Army size: 41
Supplies at Center (From West End workers): 73
Supplies at West End Roads: 73
Currently: Moving to Gather - 4 rounds remaining
Next step: Depositing - 4 rounds remaining

9 rounds: Fought demons, 6 Valkyrie lost, 44 Valkyrie remaining
3 rounds: Moved to Gather
4 rounds: Moving to Deposit
6 rounds: Depositing
4 rounds: Depositing

Army size: 44
Supplies at Center (From West End workers): 72
Supplies at West End Roads: 72
Currently: Depositing - 2 rounds remaining
Next step: Moving to Gather - 4 rounds remaining

QuoteAt 100 Supplies, we assume everything is ready.

Licel

"I see." Zurlane says flatly. "You have every right to be suspicious."

Zurlane paces around the room. "I do not judge you for the fact that the spirit does not manifest in you any more. It is not your fault you know. It has nothing to do with lack of faith. It is the fact that bloodlines become more and more impure over time." He sighs

"You think I may be an agent of the demons? Let me show you something then." Zurlane raises his hands up slowly and slowly walks up Winona as close to her blade as she will allow.

"Witness me Winona. You find yourself here in a room with someone you trust who is unconscious and badly burned. You have a story that has been handed to you, and you may not even believe it. You have doubts now, in your mind don't you? Fears... I know you want to strike now don't you because it's easier that way isn't it? But part of you does not want to, because you don't want to take an innocent life either." Zurlane takes one step closer.

"It's uncomfortable isn't it? Just like this moment, I can see it in your eyes. You feel that! It is almost unbearable isn't it? You feel threatened and you have no one to turn to, just you and poisonous doubt! Your eyes dart around the room and you're looking for an answer, you do not know what will happen next. What is your duty? What does your training say to do? What do you default to?" He takes another step closer His face extended almost touching the blade.

"That was me... now you know what it's like. I may have struck as well..." He steps back into the opposite corner of the room.

"And then you called out changed everything." He lets out a deep sigh

"And that is why I felt I that could trust you." Zurlane turns around and punches the wall hard.

Looking at the place his hand impacted the wall he says. "The plan your sisters are using to escape is by my design, your princess lives now because I stopped her from foolishly giving her life away, and I did not kill High General Iona even though everything I thought I could trust was telling me to." He punches the wall again and turns and points at the Valkyre standing in the room. "Never question my intentions again, do you understand me?!?"

He clenches his fist so tightly that it stings. "There will always be doubt now! Your people will never fully trust me Winona. This is what it means to wield darkness... to suffer! Do not call me a hero unless you mean it, but do not pitty me either!"

He falls to his knees broken. "Your general will live, but I can not bare to look at her a moment longer." He grabs Iona's sword and shield from the floor and shoves them across the floor to Winona's feet.

He picks himself up off of the floor and walks to the door then opens it. "I wish you a long life, I would have called you my sister, but the hour for that is long gone. I am sorry that I have failed you."

Throndir

"If thou art our prophesied hero... Then prithee that thou showeth." Winona declared, never letting her sword falter. She continued to stare at you cautiously, her eyes taking into account your every action. She began moving then, towards the fallen Iona, her eyes softening as she took her form, while she began picking her up. A moment later, she raised her eyes again towards you; she steeled her gaze.

"The last bastion of Heidelswatch, tis about to fall, and so too is the home of the Valkyrie that hath lasted for thousands of years... Yet thou speaks of thy own doubt and worries. Erstwhile, mine people are a broken race. Scattered are we to the corners of what remains of humanity in this world. The ones that stayeth hither in Hierdsvain... number only a few hundred. We hath seen the tides of war tease us with both victory, and defeat. Our losses are too many to count, yet... We stand strong!"

"Can thou not see that darkness that threatens everyone's hearts? For even us Valkyrie would have seen the toils of war for four generations, for even us Valkyrie shalt stand stalwart against the evil that taints us... All of us!"

"I claim not to understand thy situation oh summoned hero, or from whence thou hath come from." Winona continued, her voice slightly softer, but she continued her resolve moments after.

"But ye' listen man! Ever the Summoned Heroes of olde hath given us hope. I thank mine princess Alvilda for finding the strength to initiate the ritual, risking her own life and spirit, and to thee too, who took mine princess' summons and appeared hither to witness the Valkyrie's final stand."

"But know this hero..." Her tone of voice became low.

"If thou lets the darkness consume thee, then thou is already letting the demons win. Wilst thou then be our hero? Or shalt ye' grovel to the poison in thy heart? Thou hath not yet failed... but know this, and know this in thy heart... Thou treads on dangerous ground. By the goddesses' light, thou is our hero! Quell thy doubts! Quell thy fears!"

"Ever we Valkyrie hold on to hope. But trust is earned! Take holdeth of that darkness that thy claims to have. Be worthy of that title the Valkyrie bestow upon thee..."

Her sword still pointed at you, Winona spoke.

"That title... 'hero'."

Since last update
QuoteZurlane Talk #28: +13 rounds
Winona Talk #29: +9 rounds
Total: +22 rounds

Elapsed Rounds: 109

Defense Team
Army size: 36
Distance From Gate: 85 ft.

18 Valkyrie fallen

3 rounds: Moving to Gather - Interrupted by Demons
10 rounds: Fighting Demons, 4 Valkyrie lost, 37 Valkyrie Remaining
1 rounds: Moving to Gather
2 rounds: Gathering - Interrupted by Demons
6 rounds: Fighting Demons

Commander: Audhild
Army size: 37
Supplies at Center (From West End workers): 73
Supplies at West End Roads: 73
Currently: Fighting Demons - 4 rounds remaining
Next step: Gathering - 2 rounds remaining

2 rounds: Depositing
3 rounds: Depositing - Interrupted by Demons
1 rounds: Fighting Demons

Army size: 44
Supplies at Center (From West End workers): 94
Supplies at West End Roads: 94
Currently: Fighting Demons - 9 rounds remaining
Next step: Depositing - 1 rounds remaining

QuoteAt 100 Supplies, we assume everything is ready.