Book 1 - The Edge of Anarchy

Started by pringerbeam, March 23, 2016, 04:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oath

Eliora spoke up. "Well if ya gotta know, I'm more o' the sneaky type, Pretty good with a knife, though I gotta say that I much prefer a scarf. She paused a moment, glancing at each individual at the table wondering what they were capable of before turning to Zellara. Zellara, I don't know much about the power ya seem to have, but if ya could give us some sort o' demonstration, it could cast away any lingerin' doubts these fine folk here may be havin', while also givin' us a bit o' a clue about what's to come" Eliora may commonly perform some simple tricks, but clearly whatever was up with these cards was something a bit larger than herself.

pringerbeam

Zellara looked down at her harrow deck.  "Perhaps a reading is in order then as some of you seem to desire it."  She reached out and gathered the cards on the table and returned them to the deck.  She quickly shuffles the deck.  The cards dance around her hands and fingers with uncanny grace as they weave strange patterns and orbits with each other.  "The Harrow is simple.  You need only ask of the cards what you wish to know." She stops shuffling and places a card face down on the table.  She then places eight cards around it to create a square of nine cards. "What you may ask of the cards is knowledge of the past."  She points to the left column.  "The present."  She points to the middle column.  "Or the future."  She finally points to the rightmost column.  "With respect to each you may ask of fortune."  She waves her hand across the top row.  "Misfortune." She waves her hand across the bottom row.  "Or of the actions and events which might sway one's fate." She waves her hand across the middle row. "Choose wisely and be prepared, for the cards might not give you an answer which you favor."

[info]Let the Harrowing Commence!
     Access the roll20 game from the link below and select which card you wish to choose by indicating in some way with the drawing tool using your character color.  The Harrowing will be read once all players have selected a card.  Please leave the cards face down.

https://app.roll20.net/join/1312035/FtRELw[/info]

pringerbeam

Zellara considers everyone's choices for a moment before reaching out to begin flipping cards.  "Let us begin in the present."  She flips the card in the center of the array looking at Triss as she does so.  "The Mountain Man...  The card represents external forces act or become apparent.  Understanding what forces work to influence our action is vital when this card appears in this position.  The alternative reading of this card in this position is that you yourself are the external force intruding upon others.  An appropriate fortune as you sit here planning an assault upon Lamm and his gang.  An auspicious card for you to choose as it means your present actions will be especially potent.  Let us move on to past actions."  She moves her hand to the left and flips the next card.  "The Beating..."  She frowns.  "A one sided conflict.  Foolish actions which resulted in sound defeat exists in the past...  An unfortunate card which I believe a few of us have found in our fates when Lamm so horribly intruded into our lives.  Perhaps we can move on to past fortunes to lighten our souls after that grim reminder."  She moves her hand to the upper left card and flips it over keeping her gaze on Shenzu as she does so.  "The Twin...  A card representing duality.  In that duality good fortune has come to you.  Perhaps referring to your lives before and after coming to Korvosa.  Onward to misfortunes of the past."  She Flips the lower left card.  "The Owl..."  She once again frowns.  An expression of gloom comes across her face.  "Wisdom or knowledge foolishly used leading to misfortune...  A harsh lesson which I have certainly experienced.  Perhaps..." She looks up at Triss.  "This might be a reminder to more carefully use one's knowledge and wisdom than in the past." She looks down at the card and shakes her head slowly.  "I apologize for my mood.  The card is of particular importance to me.  Perhaps it is time to move on to the future beginning with our future actions." She moves to flip the middle right card while keeping her gaze on Beldan.  "The Trumpet...  A declaration of power either to or from you.  Perhaps a warning to carefully use of the power of your deity.  Mighty beings can be vengeful with the misuse of their power so I suggest you take care when utilizing the power of your god.  Now to move on to future misfortunes."  She moves her hand down to flip the next card and looks at Aeraloth.  "The Hidden Truth...  In opposition no less...  A dangerous secret will bring grief and misfortune throughout the land.  Not until the secret is brought to light will hope be able to glimmer once again...  A powerful fortune.  I am afraid it does not bode well for us.  Perhaps the good fortunes of the future will bring balance to this."  She moves quickly to flip the top right card a worried expression on her face.  "The Idiot... Also in opposition...  The one who feigns ignorance will be pivotal in bringing good fortune to the land.  You will need to find out who The Idiot is and enlist their aid if you wish to fight the misfortune of The Hidden Truth.  What powerful cards to give us insight into the future.  These will need to be contemplated at length but first let us return to the present."  She moves the side columns away from the center and flips the two remaining face-down cards.  "The Theater in its position of power and The Survivor misaligned...  potent cards in this reading.  These cards are tell us what might come of our present actions."  She points to The Mountain Man again.  "The Outside Power must be handled carefully for here stands a crossroad.  Failure brings loss and suffering."  She points to The Survivor.  "The potent nature of this card."  She lays a finger upon The Theater.  "In its position of power is not an outcome that can be avoided.  It is the card of prophecy fulfilled.  These..."  She picks up The Hidden Truth and The Idiot and places them on either side of The Theater.  "Are powerful cards in auspicious places further empowered the might of The Theater.  We can no longer escape from the fate spelled out by these cards.  We can only hope to navigate the future.  Beware, for The Idiot and The Hidden Truth are both tied in falsehoods and secrets.  Be wary of those who hide themselves for while we must find the one represented by The Idiot, The Hidden Truth itself warns that those who hide the secret are a dangerous foe."  She looks around at everyone sitting.  "Not a particularly uplifting Harrow.  Such things can and often do happen.  Many who have come to me for readings have found themselves disappointed when the truth is revealed and does not favor their preferred course of action."

[info]Everyone gains 2 Harrow points.  See Harrow point use thread for the bonuses you can spend them on (Will get around to typing it up soon).[/info]

Mysticsage

"I don't know about it being disappointing." Aeraloth said crossing his arms with an almost relieved. "With Lamm and things that go on in this city I would have suspected you of lying or being a fraud if it was all sunshine and rainbows. Life is rarely the fairy tale people hope it to be as i imagine you know granny. Answers and a look at the path ahead are better then blind stumbling. But then again I'm the kind of man who doesn't mind walking to his death if it fits my needs. Even if I don't understand everything that was said at least we know that there is a darkness ahead and we need an idiot to stop it. There are plenty of those in this city its just a matter pf finding the right one." Aeraloth seemed strangely comforted by the fact that there seemed to be some large looming darkness as a bit of the tension in his shoulders and back seemed gone. Whether due to some ignorance of the true scope of the reading or another matter he nodded again more to himself then anything before continuing. "So Granny you've got your script where does the first act of our little venture begin? Certainly act one appears to be Lamm what comes next will come when it comes so there is no use fretting over future events when there are chooses to be made now. "

pringerbeam

"That is a simple affair.  Lamm's current lair is in an old fishery at Westpier 17.  I do not know how well he is guarded so be on your guard when you seek him out.  I will remain here and ponder upon the Harrow.  I am of no good in a fight and have otherwise already expended my usefulness.  I wish you all the best of fortunes in our quest.  May you all make it safely back here."

Oath

Eliora was taking in the harrowing, she didn't really know what much of it meant. It sounded like things would be troublesome, but that would be nothing new for her. Adversity was an old friend at this point.

"Zellara, I may not understand much o' ya fancy harrowing stuff, but I got to say, ya services are appreciated. I feel confident, though it won't be easy. The real question remainin' is do we strike tonight, or wait for the 'morrow?"

SleepingSkeleton

"The dwarf may be able to see in the dark, but I don't think the rest of us will have a good time.  Without planning, it's better to wait," Triss said.  "That's certainly not stopping us from planning, but it's some thing that has to be done right.  Isn't that what everyone was so keen to be reminding me?"  She asked, looking around the room, a slight note of scorn in both her look and voice.  "So, as I asked earlier, what can you all do?  Eliora has told us she's good with a blade, and she seemed to have some skill with acrobatics and stealth based on our introduction in the alley.  Beldan, you said you worked at a temple, so an acolyte?  A healer?  If we know what we can do, we're better equipped to take action.  You, Shenzu, look strong, any other, less obvious strengths?  And Mr. Vanron, you look to be a performer, are you among those with abilities beyond the simple parlor tricks, moving into the realm of real magic?"
The more they knew the better.  While she hadn't worked with people terribly often, it was always best to know what your allies were capable of.  As important if not more so than your enemies at times.  It would be prudent to have Eliora scout the area tomorrow, along with any others who had skills in that vein.  Not all of them necessarily.  While she could tail some, Triss was not sure her abilities would get her by too close of scrutiny unnoticed. 
"Perhaps the more pressing matter though, is deciding when and where to meet tomorrow.  Unless you are all dead set on going tonight, I'd prefer to have time to prepare.  As I may have mentioned earlier, my skill is in alchemical creations.  I can mix concoctions to cause one to be come bigger or smaller, to heal, or to enhance ones self in other ways.  I also have these, which I would rather not demonstrate here, but some explosions might do wonders to stop our opponents," Triss finished, laying out a few crystal vials mostly filled with a milky white chemical liquid.  "I can prepare what I need for tomorrow, and then make the necessary changes when we are more ready and have a better plan.  So, where and when should we meet again?  Here?  Or would you prefer we go elsewhere?"

Mysticsage

"I agree, I've experienced the bad part of going in blind to many times to feel comfortable going into that man's lair unprepared. After all if we go in without a plan there is no telling how many people may be caught in the crossfire. You said earlier that he is one to keep children to do his dirty work." Aeraloth moved to stand then coming to his full height as he stretched out his back from hunching over to much."

"Though I'll leave the specifics to those more educated and far sighted then I. When my blood gets to boiling I don't always think about the future consequences." He towered over the small human alchemist as he did so being well over a foot tall then the girl and he still had more to grow. "And call me Aer or Aeraloth if you must, As for skills the general ability to throw my weight around, I have a few tricks up my sleeve. Lamm might find his eventual curtain call a shocking one." A bit of electricity moved across his tongue as he spoke casting his inner mouth in an eerie blue glow just for the girl to see before he turned around moving his stiff arms a bit as he did so.

"And as for a meeting place why not Bard's End. It's the largest tavern in the city and its always crowded. Better to meet in a public space where there are to many people for an ambush or eavesdropping. It's better we not stick to the shadows that Ghoul Lamm has had far to much time to roost in the darkness. Better to show those secrets out into the light where every member of the Theater has a good view of our little play right? And there is no better music for that kind of thing where money or class is less of an object." he said looking back at the others with a smirk

jammermoore

Shenzu ponders the harrow reading (The Twins), it was good fortune he came to korvosa, he met his wife here, it was a joyous time of his life. He also was listening to everyone, "I agree with Triss being able to see what we are doing is great, we can wait til tomorrow. Plus we will be rested and ready to go in the morning. For the meeting place, Bard's End sounds like a good spot "

InhumanRonin

"You are correct Triss I can see in the dark and my work at the temple did involve cleric work so I should be able to keep us standing for a while if we get injured. I can also cast a few offensive spells though it isnt my strong suit.  One other thing that could prove useful to us is I can make us weapons at my forge but I don't think there is enough time for that right now sadly."

After answering Triss's question Beldan takes a few moments to thinks over his Harrow Card Zellara drew for him. "The Trumpet...  A declaration of power either to or from you.  Perhaps a warning to carefully use of the power of your deity.  Mighty beings can be vengeful with the misuse of their power so I suggest you take care when utilizing the power of your god.  Now to move on to future misfortunes." "Hm I will have to think deeply before using Torag's power last thing we need right now is a vengeful god messing with us while trying to bring Lamm to justice."

After hearing Aeraloth talk about meeting up at Bard's End and speaks up. "If people want to meet up at the Bard's End I am fine with that but if you guys feel it is not a good spot I can offer up a meal and meet up spot at my home. Either way I am fine with where ever people want to meet up.

Beldan looks over to Shenzu and asks him about Triss's question. "So Shenzu most of us have talked about what we bring to the table when we enter Lamm's lair. Care to tell us what we can count on you for when it comes to skills and fighting abilities seems how you look like a strong fellow."
Famous last words- DONT WORRY GUYS I GOT THIS!

GG - Henon     

jammermoore

Shenzu turns to everyone and anwsers Triss and Beldan's question."I'm a monk from Starfall in Numeria. I've learned different martial arts from around the world. I specialize in the use of a quarterstaff and crossbow, along with my fists. I ended up staying in Korvosa and marrying a young women, was married for 4 years.  Till Lamm killed my wife, but I don't believe its my duty to kill him, karma will get to him so. I'll support this group in the quest ahead but I wont get my hand bloody unless its the last option."   

Oath

Eliora addressed the group. "I don't believe we should meet in a public place, even if its crowded enough to feel safe, Lamm has been around long enough that he has eyes and ears places ya'd never expect. I'd say it'd be best to meet here, or take up Beldan's offer to meet at his place.

She then addressed Shenzu specifically. "Shenzu, you're too wishy-washy chap. Ya gotta choose what ya wanna do, and do it with all ya heart. If you go around this city half-heartedly, a beast bigger than Lamm is sure to swallow ya if Lamm doesn't do it himself. Ya say that ya don't wanna fight, but ya wanna come along anyways. If ya don't fight its just dead weight. I 'ave seen too many people not take Lamm seriously and die. Ya don't wanna add yourself to that body count, do ya?"

jammermoore

Shenzu turns to Eliora, "I wont be on anyone's body count. I believe killing is not the answer to revenge, there is an authority in which Lamm should answer to. After listening to the others I wont be able to talk you guys in capturing him and handing him to the guards. So I'll still get my revenge for him killing my wife by bring his dead body to the guards for disposal. If that too wishy-washy for you so be it I don't have to prove myself to you."

Oath

"Alright there, Mr. Good Guy, you have fun doing that. Still doesn't address the issue on where we ought to meet though, anyone have a meaningful contribution?"

Mysticsage

"I'd prefer to not get Granny here on that man's shit list we can't protect her and do what needs doing. We might need her cards if we get into trouble, as to while I'm open to going  to one of your homes. There is a saying about not shitting where you sleep that seems to work at this moment." Aeraloth crossed his arms." If some kid of Lamms sees us going to one of our homes as a group it will be that much easier to destroy us." He paused before he continued," and while we are being honest I don't feel like letting all of you know where I sleep at night. No offense I'm willing to work together if it means getting my hands on that ghoul, but much more would be stupid for all of us. We've barely gotten passed the opening curtain of this performance after all. Anyone so willing to risk their own standing while commendable risks being the customary death of the first act. So a neutral stage makes the only sense so that no one feels like taking advantage of the others."