[Open] Challenge Ladder

Started by Throndir, May 27, 2016, 03:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

There was a lot of clammering over the mission board on this particular day. Many of the guild members were pouring over the multiple copies of a particular poster tacked on to the board. Upon closer inspection, it told of a Challenge Arena, using the city's large gladiator rings and arenas.

"See how far you can go! Vanquish monsters! Earn rewards!"

QuoteOpen to all! Post here if you're interested to start.

Summary
This will be a one vs one fight against monsters. The monster chosen will be relatively weak, and will progress in difficulty for each one you slay. You unlock the next tier up if you win your fight. Once a monster is chosen for a specific tier, that monster will remain the same for any other fights of that tier (unless a specific GM wants to change that). 10 tiers altogether that the event organizers were able to round up safely.

Refreshes and Defeats
The event is held during a course of a week. So characters have 6 refreshes that they can use. (To gain back spells, etc).

Characters who are defeated, will get teleported out and sent to the arena's hospital ward and use up one of their 6 refreshes.

A refresh is just another way of saying you spend the rest of the day resting to get back your spells and daily resources.

Characters who fail on a tier can choose to party up with another character who has also lost on that tier, the tier before, or the tier right after. They can then duo the fight.

Gladiator Rules
Like in the Tournaments. I'll be implementing the gladiator arena rules in here as well. This time it will affect attack and damage bonuses since this is vs. NPCs.
[spoiler]Gladiators and the Crowd
A gladiatorial fight follows the normal rules for combat in the D&D game, with one exception: The presence of the crowd can inspire or demoralize a gladiator. Treat the crowd as a single NPC, and use its attitude toward each gladiator to track the morale bonus or penalty he receives. If the crowd is friendly toward a gladiator, that gladiator gets a +1 morale bonus on attack and damage rolls. If the crowd is helpful, the gladiator gets a +2 morale bonus on attack and damage rolls. An indifferent or unfriendly crowd confers no bonus or penalty, but a crowd that's hostile to a gladiator confers a -1 penalty on attack and damage rolls. Unless a particular gladiator is exceptionally well known, the crowd starts indifferent to both combatants. Each gladiator typically makes a Perform (weapon drill) check (see the section on skills near the end of Chapter 3) before the fight begins, using the check result in an attempt to influence the crowd (as described under Influencing NPC Attitudes on page 72 of the Player's Handbook). Once the fight begins, only certain actions change the crowd's attitude, as described in the table below. Note that the crowd's attitude toward each gladiator is tracked separately. It's possible for two inept gladiators to both be loathed by the spectators, and two veteran gladiators can both have the crowd on its feet cheering them on.

Table 4–4: Gladiator Crowd Reaction
SituationCheckConsequence 1
Gladiator rolls natural 1 on attack rollAttitude toward gladiator worsens
Gladiator confirms critical hitAttitude toward gladiator improves
Successful feint in combatBluff vs. Sense Motive2 Attitude toward opponent worsens
Successful demoralize opponentIntimidate vs. level check2 Attitude toward opponent worsens
Successful tumble through enemy squareDC 25 TumbleAttitude toward you improves
Successful Perform (weapon drill) checkDC 20 PerformAttitude toward you improves
Destroy opponent's weaponSee sunder rulesAttitude toward you improves
Trip opponentSee trip rulesAttitude toward you improves 3
Disarm opponentSee disarm rulesAttitude toward you improves 3
Pin an opponentSee grapple rulesAttitude toward you improves, attitude toward opponent worsens
Bull rush opponent 10 feet4 See bull rush rulesAttitude toward you improves
Gladiator caught cheatingAttitude toward gladiator worsens by two steps
1 All attitude changes are one step (for example, indifferent to unfriendly) unless otherwise noted.
2 Special modifi ers apply to this check. See the appropriate skill description in the Player's Handbook.
3 If you are tripped or disarmed yourself in a failed attempt, the attitude toward you worsens.
4 If you fall prone during a failed attempt, the attitude toward you worsens.[/spoiler]

Rewards
Exp and gold/treasure worth will be cut by 50%. Also depending on how you rank with other characters, you may get less or more exp/gold. Eg, the richest character on slaying a monster, won't earn as much as the poorest character. Same with exp. This is just a way to balance out the players. The exact way this is figured out is:

1) Calculate the exp/gold for a given CR of a creature
2) Apply a percentage increase or decrease according to the Statistics sheet.

Example:
CR 1 creature has a normal treasure value of 300.
50% (Base cut) -31.25% (Serena's Wealth Balance) = 18.75%
300 (base reward of CR 1) * .1875 = 56.25
Serena earns 57 gold pieces or near equivalent item (rounds up) for defeating a CR 1 creature.

Tier 1: Margay Cat, first defeated by Serena, identified by Meera
Tier 2: Unidentified robed man, first defeated by Lyolf.
Tier 3: Unidentified green slime, first defeated by Lia.
Tier 4: Unidentified 5-headed serpent dragon, first defeated by Serena.
Tier 5: CR 5 creature
Tier 6: CR 6 creature
Tier 7: CR 7 creature
Tier 8: CR 8 creature
Tier 9: CR 9 creature
Tier 10: CR 10 creature

DMs: Throndir and anyone else! (+200 exp for a GM to handle a match)
Players: 1 for each instance
Length: Short
Goal: Vanquish the monsters!
Completion Rewards:
As per CR of vanquished foe

Throndir

QuoteAll my characters do this too except Anastasia! GM request. I'll GM it myself one Monday or Sunday evening if no one volunteers.

Characters:
Nyuko
Annia
Golas
Katrias
Lia

Lance

[info]
Time for some stress-testing.

Applying with Jin and the new and improved Lyolf (Swapping all Stalker levels with Ravenlord).
[/info]
"A wish? Okay, genie, make me a ham sandwich."

Throndir

[info]Make sure you mark that sort of thing on your character sheet thread, and pay the associated karma cost. Creating your threads shortly.[/info]

Linwelin

[info]Vladimir and Kin enter the fray! (Please)[/info]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Throndir

[info]Threads created for Kin and Vlad.[/info]

Ella

rfdkyfhgcvgfktf Maeve e Callista

Throndir

[info]Thread created for Callista and Maeve.

Also I'm gonna start drafting some way to have multiple people tackle on a tier. That would be fun. Maybe like a team of two, so things still keep going fast.[/info]

Throndir

[info]New rules!

Characters who fail on a tier can choose to party up with another character who has also lost on that tier, the tier before, or the tier right after. They can then duo the fight.[/info]

Manzokushi