[Closed] The First Assaulted Caravan

Started by Oath, December 11, 2013, 09:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oath

Ryine listened to the man's story calmly. He had worked a lot with merchants in the past, and the most important part of any job regarding them was to listen to everything they had to say before commenting. Bran seemed to be quite flustered, and it was understandable if it was indeed hobgoblins that had attacked him. Losing supplies is always a devastating blow, and the uncertainty of what fate lies before you is a further slight to the already deep losses.

"Bran, I know that you are in a dire situation, but you've come to the right place. The name's Ryine."

The warrior stood and gave a quick bow to Bran. Even for someone so focused on fighting, he at least knew a bit of formalities when dealing with a potential employer.

"I'm sure that myself, along with whatever members of the guild decide to undertake this mission will be able to defeat the hobgoblins and get back your supplies. I can't promise that they will all be intact, but there should be enough that your business won't be ruined. Making life better for the citizens of this fair cities, and all those who do business with her is what we do, and you happen to fall into one of those two categories. I've also been looking to fight something like hobgoblins for a while myself. I hear that they are fearsome opponents, but i'd like to see for myself and test my blade in the process."

Sitting back down, Ryine had hoped that he would not regret his words, he hadn't heard from any of the other guild members, but had volunteered himself. If nobody else showed up, he could be in for quite a bit of trouble.

Throndir

Annia shook her head as Bran recounted his tale. Even after all the work the guild has done to make the roads nearby safe, bandits always seemed to plague the area. It made sense however, Ternadan, being a central hub of commerce, attracted the attention of many individuals - bandits included. She recalled all the encounters they already had with banditry in the area, and as often as she can, Annia had always volunteered to help. It may just be a couple of bandits, but to Annia it was more than that. Bandits always prey on the weak, victimizing those who had done nothing wrong. Bandits didn't always kill, but she knew that there were many among them who wouldn't think twice about ending someone's life. The idea revolted Annia as she gripped her fists harder.

Save it for the bandits Annie.

She calmed. Listening to the words that the being in her sword, Jin, told her.

"There is nothing more dishonorable than ambushing and killing simply for goods. It's an afront to our civility here. I cannot just stand by idly while the bandits victimize every passing caravan." Annia took a deep breath.

"Your story has me on edge Bran. From what I know of hobgoblins, they usually aren't very organized, only living and travelling with their own tribes. It gives me worry that such a warband is this close to the city. There are plenty of caravans, less protected, and even simple travelers who pass through those lowlands. Forgive me Bran, but I accept this mission not to recover your goods and valuables, not to reclaim your profits, for those things in the end are simply just items that can always be replaced. I will do this for all the lives of those the hobogoblins had already taken, and the lives of those who the hobgoblins will take next."

She beckoned towards Ryine, a fire glowing behind her eyes.

"Even if its just the two of us, we'll make sure the hobgoblins leave this area. And so Valtean be with me. You have my word that these bandits will regret ever stepping this close to Ternadan."

Lance

Hobgoblins? Lyolf thought, after the news reached him in his usual spot in the guild hall. He had mixed reactions, however, once the information finally set in. Though most peoples often disfavored hobgoblins and their ilk, likening them to nothing more than thieves and killers, Lyolf thought otherwise. Not all of goblin-kind would so easily match the biased description townsfolk often accuse them of.

The elf frowned. As both a scholar and a martial adept, he had learned of the hobgoblin's exploits both through books and through word of mouth. After all, the academy's libraries were filled with knowledge containing such history. And even if he hadn't studied the texts, all martial adepts knew of the Iron Heart clan-a legendary group of hobgoblins that had once united all of goblin-kind and had even gone on to develop one of the most difficult, and fiercest, path of the Sublime Way-the Iron Heart discipline.

Quote from: Your Great Lord and Master-LanceSuch was the Iron Heart's clan loyalty and diligence to the path that even after the shadow armies of the Gol'raar first invaded several poorly defended human, elven, and dwarven villages centuries ago, they quickly assembled an army of their own in order to drive them off. Though they were openly scorned and ridiculed by those they were trying to protect, they were able to remain strong and gather a sizable force.

And as the hobgoblin army marched, all "goodly" races were shocked when they finally learned that the hobgoblin's goal was not to pillage or plunder in the wake of the shadow's destruction, but rather to ensure that such destruction never occurred.

The armies clashed and tooth met fang, claws with fists. Several masters of the Iron Heart discipline stood at the forefront of the battle, creating craters with every kick, shattering boulders with every punch, and paralyzing foes with their stare alone. Their presence rallied their soldiers to even greater heights and many unsung heroes were born that day. But it was not enough.

From the beginning, the shadows had outnumbered the hobgoblins much like how the grains of the sand in the desert outnumber those found on a mere beach. But that never daunted the hobgoblins and they charged at the shadows with a roar that would shame even a dire lion, Even as their numbers dwindled and each master fell, they remained fighting strong-blade in hand, iron in heart. For such was the way of their discipline-the Iron Heart.

And though the hobgoblins were eventually defeated and the shadows gone on to plunge the world into a new era of darkness, their hard-fought battle had not come without merit. It was later recorded, by the survivors and by the few humans, elves, and dwarves that had gone past racial hatred to fight alongside them, that for every hobgoblin slain, at least a dozen shadows were sent back to their infernal plane. And for every master that had fallen, entire legions of shadows had been banished. Furthermore, the fighting had lasted so long that those villages that had previously been at the shadow's mercy had all safely evacuated. By then, the armies of the other races had also mobilized and were able to fight on equal grounds with the shadows.

That event had marked the beginning of the famed Shadow Wars as well as the end for the Iron Heart Clan.

Lyolf sighed. Today's hobgoblins were nothing like their predecessors. The speeches from his compatriots also seemed to show just how low the proud race had fallen. The elf smiled bitterly as he reflected on it all, leaving his usual spot to join the others.

"I'll be joining as well," he said simply and calmly. And though his voice was as normal, a fire raged from beneath his eyes.

For the sake of the brave warriors who had fought and died ages ago, there was no way he was going to leave this alone.
"A wish? Okay, genie, make me a ham sandwich."

Mysticsage

Kryas hearing the story of the merchant stood from his seat in the corner by the hearth stood. Hobgoblins being so out of place surely there would be an interesting story in there somewhere. Plus hearing the wears that the caravan had been carrying before they had been attacked having another shop filled with such items would be quite nice. Seeing those who had already volunteered they could use someone who could take up as the support, or better yet perhaps be the voice of cooler heads. Charging headfirst into a hobgoblin war band was not his definition of the best idea in the world.

Standing he moved to the group with a smile, " I think I'll join in this little adventure as well if you don't mind. I'm sure a forth member who can provide support would be helpful.". Plus he knew that if a hobgoblin war band actually was in the area then the likelihood of more coming their way was high, so if he could negotiate some sort of agreement it would save them a great deal of undue hassle in the long run. Hobgoblins may not be the brightest bunch but they were by far not the dumbest either if they were coming this close to civilization there was a reason for it.

He patted both Annia and Lyolf on the back. "I'm sure the guild can handle what ever comes our way"

kai927

Katia was just entering the guildhall herself when the guardsman arrives with Bran the Merchant. As usual, she had not noticed them until they came to a stop. She quietly listens to the merchant's story, while her shadow nearly detaches itself from stretching across the room to examine the merchant, despite the lighting in the hall.

"Your tale...it is...a dire one," she states in an odd halting way, free from emotion. "I would...partake...in this mission...as well." She glances at the other guild member whom have already volunteered, "If my...assistance...would not...be a hindrance. I can...also help...with magical...support."

This would be her first mission, and honestly, she was nervous, though it did not show upon her face.

Linwelin

GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]