Pathfinder based game (interest check)

Started by Burden king, April 28, 2013, 10:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burdenking

Setting
-The game would take place in the Region known as the Shatterlands, a group of island nation that were once one massive continent in the ancient times. Due to a great cataclysm, the land shattered apart and the oceans flooded the spaces between them. Now, in the modern age of the 45 Era, rumors of a coming war are closing in. The majority of the islands, clustered near the western, southern, and center portions of the region are ruled by a religious order Known as the Church of the Ageless Powers. The Church is a overly zealous organization that follow the creeds and tenets set down by the small Pantheon of gods. First of these gods, Aetnae, is the god of the material world and all that inhabit it. Through his teachings, they hold that all physical matter in the world is neither evil nor good, but a tool for those with higher thinking. With this, the priests of Aetnae are able to control and summon the metals of the earth, and command the bodies of the fallen to do their bidding.

Second of the Pantheon, Sunorim, is the god of souls and time. Through him, it is believed that the souls of mortals are sacred and must never be touched by mortal tools or magics. Any interference in Sunorim's grand design is seen as one of the greatest of heresies, and warrants the swift execution and damnation of the soul. Priests of this faith are the healers and Divinists of the order, healing the body and teaching the mind what it needs to know.

Thirdly, there is Drenek, God of the Ruinous Energies and the Arcane. This god controls the energies that enter and leave the world that are not souls, such as a fires heat or the power of lightning. He brings natural disasters and can cause wars through his whisperings in the ears of mortal men. There are very few, but the Priests of this god call upon the very forces of nature to bring death to the orders enemies. They also bend the will of men to serve the order, Making this Sect the Inquisitorial and regulating arm of the entire order.

In the northern portion of the Shatterlands, a small cluster of kingdoms stand as opposition to the order. These kingdoms, controlled by the Arcane council, disregard the gods and favor mortal magics above all else. They do not have a religion, but in a sense they worship the arcane magics as if it were their god. Much of the population is of magical blood, while the rest are usually made into magic users through learning and instruction. Those incapable of mastering the arcane are left with little choice but to ether stay as lower class citizens, as one's magical prowess often leads to success, or to vacate the kingdoms for ether the neutral Uderian islands, or to the island kingdoms of the order.

The Uderian Islands, which encompass the remaining eastern region of the Shatterlands, are home to no kingdoms but of small city states and large tribal populations. This, of all the Shatterlands, is where the ideals and beliefs can not be generalized at all, as the populations and people believe in a great variety of things. Though weak and easy to conquer individually, a pact made nearly hundreds of years ago has made it so if one tribe or city state is attack, then the entire region would count it as an attack against themselves and move to counter attack. This has saved the Uderian Lands from being conquered a great many times, and its is now well known that to attack the area is foolish and suicidal.

Players could come from any one of the locations, or even from lands beyond, but they would be united by being admitted into the Surveyor Guild Office. This office, set up after the last great war between the lands, is given assignments by the varying kingdoms of the Shatterlands to accomplish. These assignments usually deal with things that could cause trouble in the political stage of the region, and there fore require the guild to investigate and handle any problems relating to it. This Office has been set up for quite sometime, and rests in a small area of neutral islands in between all three regions, and therefore is not connected to any one kingdom in particular. Members of this Office are often considered very high standing citizens, and many civilians consider them heroes for maintaining peace. However, many organizations who would try to expand their power see them as a nuisance and often wish for the to be destroyed, disbanding them being a big controversial topic in the political world.

Rules
For starters, all Characters that would join this Rp would start at Level 12, as the Shatterlands can be a very dangerous place, and only the best of the best are allowed to join The surveryors. The Game would use the pathfinder rules and systems, links being provided to those who require them, and a maximum of three characters per person will be enforced. the Starting gold for each character will be equal to the starting gold of their level, being 108000 gold for lvl twelve characters.

Anyone willing to do so would be able to host their own quests to control, and put them on the board for characters to apply and join on. Being an island region, consideration of the large water ways and the deep waters separating most islands must be considered. a Character can purchase their own boat, but the guild can provide one to parties that require it. Those who captain a ship are able to take part in quests involving naval battles, can freely go where ever the choose. Captains should be aware though, that unless you can find a way around it, you are required to supply your ship with food and supplies, as well as pay the crew the help sail it. A separate topic will cover the varying boats that can be purchased and how they work in a naval battle.

Only alignments of neutral and good are allowed, as an evil character would not likily be admitted or want to be admitted into such a group. IF you wish to be evil of any type, you may converse with and admin on how exactly it could work, but if no reasonable way can be found, then you will simply have to move on to a different concept.

Please Note Necromancy, while considered evil in most games, is not considered evil hear. Necromancy simply powers a corpse and does not mettle with the gods plans, and there fore is accepted. However, speaking with the dead and resurrections do count as evil acts in much of the region, and there fore a character must be wary of using such spells in the presence of a person from the Order of Ageless Powers. Animate dead and any relating power does not trap a soul, it simply creates a tool out of available materials, namely corpses in this matter, and their actions are the responsibility of the castor. If someone uses a zombie to help and area's monster infestation, then that is considered a responsible and good use of the tool. IF someone uses the undead for evil purposes, such as theft or murder, then that is where it become evil and the person has broken the law.

Mortality Rate
-As these missions are set forth to maintain the peace, many of them may be highly dangerous, and the possibility of death should always be considered. Though, with carful use of skills and wit, your rate of death may be low. However, never forget that as a mortal creature, death may come from anywhere or anyone, as enemies of the kingdoms or their servants may be used to end your life or those around you. In generalistic terms, a low rate of mortality to medium, depending on how the quest is structured.

Those that may be interested
Anyone who enjoys a fantasy setting and enjoyed the guild role play on this site. Also, it has a great variety of environments to contend with, including aquatic areas, so alot of variety can pop up.

Mysticsage

I'm in, sounds good sorry you couldn't reach me I'm on the east coast so i was already asleep lol
I don't know much about this setting but I'll help any way I can

Burdenking

Don't worry man, i help anyoine who's having trouble with the system.

Burdenking

Oh all so

Addendum
Character will have to use the 15 point buy system for this game.

Hasabushi

I'm up for this, been reading the rulebook :D

Burdenking

Throndir

Linwelin

Thanks to Mystic, I'm at least familiar with Pathfinder. Sounds like fun ^_^

From what you wrote, I feel like I'd want to be from the city-states/tribes of the Uderian Islands. Always have liked those "primitive" roles XD
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Burdenking