[Leela] Chapter 7: Cardinals of Xalaster

Started by Throndir, June 08, 2019, 11:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

Mateo shook his head. "Unfortunately no... After I send in this report to the cathedral, I'll be heading back to my post on the east gate." He started to mull over his actions though.

QuoteIf you want him to be at the meeting, roll Diplomacy

Ella

[spoiler=Diplomacy][blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 6 + 8, total 14[/blockquote][/spoiler]

Throndir

The bishop eventually shook his head again. "There is too much work to do! Plus I'm the esteemed bishop of the east gate as well... But after their meeting, do swing by my office later in the day, or let one of the servants know when's a good time to stop by. Being a leader of your country, and us being your closest neighbors, means that there'll be times we see each other again!" With that nodding once, he begins to head back to the gate.

QuoteYou can still call out to him, say specific things, or actions if you like.

Ella

Leela Steading

Leela smiled at the bishop, although she did not like the idea of going to meet the cardinals without someone they both knew. "I understand. Sorry to keep you from your duties for so long. We will see you later, then."

When Mateo turned to walk away, the princess turned to her companions. "Lets head back to the inn. There are a few things I would like to discuss with you before the meeting."

[spoiler=Spellcraft Perception to see if Zephyrus is still hanging around them.][blockquote]Rolled 1d20+21 : 12 + 21, total 33[/blockquote][/spoiler]

~~~~~~~~~~

When the group returned to Leela's room, she had everyone join her sitting around the table they had been eating at before.

"I'm sorry I took your mission away from you, Zephyrus." She started, knowing how excited he had been about helping her by trying to find Ashaki for the rescue mission. "But if things do not go well diplomatically, it is a relief to know her exact location as well as the level of security they have her under."

That said, she turned her attention to the group as a whole. "When I was talking to Bishop Mateo on our way there, he mentioned that their hero is coming to oversee the planned execution of Ashaki. The execution is scheduled for a week from now, but he is expected to be here in a few days. He also said that because heroes are from the 'goddesses themselves', they are as equal as, if not higher than, the governments that they work for. I'm not sure how the cardinals actually think about that, since Mateo seems to be a hero worshiper, but he did say something that sounded a lot like some sort of scripture from their holy book. It was something along the lines of... a hero will come forth from the goddess in times of trouble and lead the people to prosperity, so "blessed is he who treats the messenger as king". That being said, if the cardinals all feel the same way about heroes, there is a chance making my being a hero known to them will increase the likelihood of them doing as I request."

She paused for a moment to let that all sink in before continuing. "I am still hesitant to consider it, though, as that would give away any advantage of surprise then not knowing provides me. I imagine they would ask for some sort of proof that I am a hero, in which case I would have to either come up with something using what I have already copied with my actual 'blessing' or tell them the truth of it."

"So, my plan A is that we will attend this meeting and I will do my best to secure the release of Ashaki in the way that I have started, as Princess of America trying to return their captive to her home in the hopes of protecting her people and forming alliances. Mateo did already say that they flatly refused when he brought it up to them, so I do not imagine this working as I hoped."

"Plan B is, if they seem to be of the same mind as Bishop Mateo about heroes, I reveal that I am one and apologize for keeping it a secret. Then try to negotiate Ashaki's release officially as a hero."

"Plan C is, if they reject all my attempts at negotiation or decide they want to wait until their own hero has arrived to talk it over with him, I took note on locations I could teleport to within the dungeon. Since she is small enough that I might be able to carry her, I can try to teleport down there and then teleport out holding her. I imagine it would be possible, since Abi can teleport holding things. I figure doing it this way, before the hero arrives, would give us the best chance of success so that we do not have to worry about their hero on our tails as we flee. The only problem with this is that we would have to wait for night to sneak around easier and I would be alone unless Zephyrus can meet me there or come with me somehow as I teleport."

"Plan D is... well, all out combat in which we fight our way through to rescue Ashaki and then flee once she has been successfully obtained."

"Abi, if you hear me say "Abi Gale" during or after this meeting without being asked by someone what your full name is, this will be a key word for you to teleport immediately to Zavan, tell him what is going on, and either have him ready the nightmares for flight or bring him and the other imps back to us to help us fight. If we do end up in combat with the Orthodoxy, I also want Zavan to send one of the nightmares to Roadmarech to tell him to have all the nightmares come as soon as possible to help as well." She stared intently at the imp. "This is very important, so you must remember this. I want you to repeat to me what I said."

Throndir

You felt Zephyrus' presence. It was faint, but he was around. You felt his presence seemingly in small quantities in a large area around you.

"Umm. Ummmmmmm. Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm." Abi said wide-eyed. "Plan A... is ummm..." She mumbles something incoherent under her breath. "Plan B..." The little imp looked like she was about to cry.

"The princess meant the key word." Efrit said, sighing.

At this, Abi immediately lighted up. "Oh! I knew that, of course Abi knew that. Abi knows what Leelasama is saying! Leelasama! When I hear... Abi Gale... I go to master Zavan!"

"Hmm... We should decide on a secret word too where I can blow everything up, while I take you to safety in my arms." Efrit suggested flashing a grin towards your direction.

Ella

Leela Steading

Unsure if Zephyrus had heard what she had said to him with how spread out he seemed, she decided to let him do as he wished rather than ask him to do anything special. He did not seem to even notice when she mentioned him in her Plan C.

Leela had not expected Abi to think that she wanted her to repeated everything she had said since the start of the meeting. Luckily, Efrit pointed out Leela's actual meaning to the imp and the tears forming in the imp's eyes immediately disappeared.

"That's right. When I say your key word, you go to Zavan. What do you tell him if we are fleeing the city without fighting? What do you tell him if we are fighting?" She encouraged the imp.

There was a faint blush on her cheeks as she turned to consider Efrit for a moment. It probably would not be a bad idea to have a keyword for him to have permission to attack all out if it was necessary. Though, unless she was unconscious or otherwise unable to use her powers, she would just telelport away rather than let him carry her.

"Fine." She said to him. "If I say "Erik Lief" without being asked by someone what your full name is, then you have permission to fight, but you must keep casualties to a minimum and not to destroy the city. If I say "Efrit" before we leave the city, then you have permission to go all out, regardless of damage to the city or civilians. If I am knocked unconscious, put to sleep, or otherwise unable to move on my own during combat, you have permission to carry me to safety." She paused for a moment, then added, "This does not give you permission to burn off my clothes, by accident or not, so try to remember to avoid becoming a living fireball."

Throndir

Date: Day 5 - Time: 11:30 AM

"Umm... If we are fleeing the city... then I tell Zavan to bring the nightmares and other imps! But if we're in combat instead, Zavan will send one of the nightmares back to summon the rest!"

Efrit continued to grin as his eyes sparkled. "Fear not Great Princess, when it comes to it, you can count on me. However, even if your clothes burn off, I will still ensure your safety."

QuoteState plans for until meeting.

Ella

Leela Steading

Leela had been about to correct Abi in that she just wanted Zavan to prepare the nightmares for departure, but decided to leave it. If he brought the nightmares to them, then they wouldn't have to look for wherever he and the other imps are hiding.

"Good. Make sure you remember, as it will be very important." The princess pat the imp's head affectionately.

"I think, as soon as we get back, I will start researching how to make completely fireproof clothing..." Leela muttered in response to Efrit.

Once the plans were fine-tuned and she was sure everyone knew their role, Leela decided to spend the remaining time they had before the meeting checking out the market. She checked out fabric and clothing shops, hoping to find something that fit her desire for fireproof clothing. They avoided the food, as she did not want Abi to forget herself and show off her pearly white fangs. She made sure to keep a close eye on the time, making her way back to the Grand Cathedral so that they were ten minutes earlier than the specified time.

[spoiler=Training]Leela will be training her perception while she is exploring the marketplace.[/spoiler]

~~~~~~~~~~

"I am Princess Leela Steading of the great country of America. I have an appointment to meed with the Cardinals at 1pm." She declared to the guards of the Cathedral, showing the medallion that Bishop Mateo had provided her with to gain entry.

Ella

[spoiler=Perception Training for 1 Hour][blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 9 + 5, total 14[/blockquote][/spoiler]

Throndir

[info]Exploring the Markets
You were able to find some fireproof gear, but they were bulky and not at all pretty. It reminded you of some old-style firemen's clothing. Apart from that, you were able to find anything else that you needed. There was nor magical wares, except for a single place that sold items from the 'Idorian Magic Kingdom', though the prices were quite expensive for what little they did. For example, a teapot that poured hot water, a pillow that continued to emit heat, a vase that spewed air which was apparently used to keep cool during warmer seasons, and other minor items.[/info]

Date: Day 5 - Time: 1:00 PM

The guards saw the medallion, and looked at it carefully, after nodding once, they opened the gate to let you through. From there, you were ushered into a waiting room, where one of the nuns brought you a tray of simple treats, and a drink. They said to wait just a few more minutes, and that one of them would show you in.

Ella

Leela Steading

Leela chose not to buy anything in the markets. Nothing seemed to be worth her time or money and she was sure Efrit would not wear the bulky fireproof gear she had found. She certainly wouldn't.

~~~~~~~~~~

Giving Abi a look to remind her not to touch the offered food, Leela left the drink and snacks on the tray. After all, she had told the imp to only eat when she ate and it would not be fair to her to enjoy such things in front of her after telling her not to eat anything in public. She did, however, motion to Efrit that she was okay with him partaking of the food if he desired.

The Princess sat in silence as they waited, looking around the room as she continued to go over in her head the plans and possible scenarios.

Throndir

"They will see you now."

The nun said to you. You couldn't help but notice this one looked just like the one back in the Golden Wing. With that, she beckoned your group forward and began to lead the way.

Date: Day 5 - Time: 1:15 PM

The nun continued to lead the way into the church, and soon enough it opened up into a grand hall, and it took you a moment to realize it was a hearing room. There were multiple seats and chairs that were high above the rest. You noted that one of the seats were empty, but the rest were occupied with both men and women who were richly adorned. The nun ushered you over to a set of seats nearer the center of the room. This chair was much lower in stature, and though still ornate, not nearly as ornate as the ones that the cardinals sat on.

Once you and the rest of your group were seated, the nun who had ushered you in went into the last empty chair, and sat on it.

Ella

Leela Steading

Leela studied the nun. She was either Aidia or... "Do you have a twin?" She decided to ask rather than simply follow silently.

~~~~~~~~~~

As soon as they entered the room, Leela took in her surroundings. She took note of the lack of both introduction of herself and greeting from the cardinals upon her entry. Two could play at that game. Head held high, Leela silently walked over to the chair the nun had indicated was for her. Before seating herself, she placed Abi in one of the nearby chairs, whispering a casual reminder for the imp to be on her best behavior and try not to draw attention to herself. That done, she sat in her own seat. She did not indicate to Efrit whether he should sit or not. If he were a true personal knight, he would already know whether he was allowed to sit or expected to stand in such a situation without her telling him. Since she had failed to bring it up to him earlier, the princess decided it best to let him decide.

After arranging her skirts so she could sit comfortably as well as fashionably, Leela looked at the cardinals seated before her. For a moment, she pondered commenting that in her country, meetings such as this between such important people were done at a table so that no one could claim they had been slighted by being given unequal standing. In the end, she decided to hold off on that for now. After all, they most likely did look down on her, considering the situation of her 'country' as they had been told of it.

"Cardinals of Xalaster." Leela decided to take the initiative. She greeted them in the only way she could, not knowing their names. "I am Princess Leela Steading of the great country of America. I believe Bishop Mateo has informed you all as to why I have asked to meet with you?" As she spoke, she studied each of them in turn, starting with their face, their hair, their clothing, and finally the way the seemed to hold themselves. A new alternate plan was slowly forming in her mind.

Throndir

The nun shook her head as she lead you towards the hearing room. "No, I do not have any siblings. I am Aidia, the Innkeeper of the Golden Wing..." She explained.

Grand Cathedral
Day 5 - Time: 1:15 PM

Efrit decided to remain standing, and stand at attention further behind you. Abi took a seat quietly, and was starting wide-eyed at everyone in the room. There were 7 cardinals altogether. Each of the imposing in their own way.

The first one from the left was a man, he looked fairly young. His eyes gave off an impression of being calculating, and how he stared at you made it seem like he was measuring your worth.

The next cardinal was smiling. Though, it felt like a weird smile; it wasn't one of mirth or happiness at all. But one that the cardinal had simply done in a well-practiced motion.

The third from the left was Aidia. She had a pleasant smile, and you couldn't help but notice that she was the most plainly dressed out of all them.

The one seated at the center looked the most regal of them all. Sporting a bishop's headpiece that looked more like a crown than anything else. She had clear red eyes, pale skin, and white long hair.

The fifth from the left, and third from the right was an older man. This one however, seemed to be perpetually scowling. Unlike the first one who stared at you in a calculating manner. This one seemed to be full of contempt. How his eyebrows furrowed told you that he seemed to not be in a good mood at all.

The sixth one was also an older man. Though, this one had a smile too, much like the second cardinal. Just like that second cardinal, this smile looked completely fake.

Lastly was a woman who seemed to have too revealing of a dress to fit in as a bishop or cardinal, but she looked at you sternly. Like the first cardinal, she looked upon you with interest.

The one at the center spoke.

"Welcome to our city, and country, Princess Leela Steading of the Great Counter of America. We are the cardinals of Xalaster. Though individuals are we, due to the grace of the goddess, we are of one mind. Bishop Mateo has indeed informed us of America's plight, along with a proposed alliance was neutral demons."

"However... We are worried for your own safety, and the guile of demons. Princess Leela Steading... We are afraid that you are under the influence of demons."

Ella

Leela Steading

Diplomacy: Shift Attitude (Using 1 Heroic Action Point to add +8 bonus.)
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+15 : 6 + 15, total 21[/blockquote]

Diplomacy: To form an alliance between the Great Country of America and Xalaster Orthodoxy. Through this alliance, the Great Country of America would use the advanced knowledge of things from their own world to make things to trade with the Orthodoxy that would prove beneficial for both the church and the common folk.
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+7 : 20 + 7, total 27[/blockquote]

Diplomacy: To clear misunderstanding caused by the Roshandan demons attempt to trade and establish a trade agreement, if not a full alliance, between them and Xalaster Orthodoxy. The demons of Roshandan can provide fine cloth (such as what Leela is wearing, plus the other clothes that she brought along to show them) and they also said they had weaponry and armor they could offer in trade. If the Orthodoxy agrees to an alliance, this would also put an extra buffer between the Orthodoxy borders and the demon domains on the other side of the Domain or Roshandan.
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+7 : 14 + 7, total 21[/blockquote]

Diplomacy: To release the demon they hold captive into Leela's custody. Whether they are willing to establish a trade agreement or alliance with Roshandan or not, this would be show of goodwill between them and make it easier for Leela to persuade the demons to still act as a buffer. If they refuse to release the demon they hold captive, Leela fears not only for her own people, but all of the Orthodoxy.
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+7 : 14 + 7, total 21[/blockquote]