[IC] Through the Swamps of Orcen

Started by Throndir, July 04, 2016, 08:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

[info]Log for a live solo RP with Alphonse[/info]

You've been travelling with a specific group of merchants for the last week already, but the final stretch was going through a deep swamp. This was the 'shortcut' the merchant had mentioned before, as he wanted to get the quickest route to his destination due to his 'time-sensitive' trade deal. Thus you had been hired a week ago, to protect the caravan with it's journey.

"Mr. Kirkland!" The fat merchant said. "Here's the swamp, and I trust you're -all- that's required to get us through this safely..."

"I -am- paying you quite a sum after all." He began moving his mount forward. Around you is the caravan, with the fat merchant on it. There were two others as well on the cart, one was a younger girl,. his daughter, while the other an elderly man who was their grandfather.

Throndir

"Of course sir. Everyone will be safe while crossing." I say as I give a slight smile , seeing him move his mount. "All I ask is that you give me your trust." I scan my surroundings seeing no signs of life which very much concerns me.

Throndir

You look ahead of you, and already you can get a foreboding feeling about the swamps just ahead. This was the entrance to the 'Swamps of Orcen'. The last major hurdle until you reach the destination of Taelthan City, where the merchant had wanted to go. This was still the beginnings of the swamp, but already you see various bodies of water reaching out, and deeper into the swamps were a variety of lush vegetation. The road going into it looked muddy as well.

The merchant simply nodded at your reassurance, though he still seemed to have worry that you can detect in his eyes. "Just keep my daughter safe, you hear?" With that the merchant prodded his horse forward, dragging along the cart.
His daughter on the other hand, was just about to say something, but as she quickly looked towards you, she immediately averted his eyes and you can swear that you saw a blush in her features.
(Oh right, you can assume your character is on your horse, riding with their wagon/cart)
(You can choose to interact with them, or do anything else, otherwise, you can say you'll head with them to the swamps, and I'll move it forward)

Throndir

I nod in agreement that I will keep her safe and start to follow keeping a sharp eye out while I looking like I was just normal. I notice her about to say something so I get curious "Miss. Is something troubling you?"

Throndir

Throughout the trip, you had noticed the girl looking your way at times. If you were to guess, she was around 16. When you approached her, she instinctively blush and looked away. Though, realizing she was being spoken to, continued to raise her eyes towards you.

"N-no..." She stammered. Her grandpa seemed to laugh, and patted her on the back. Though he didn't say anything. The father, the fat merchant didn't seem to react, though he only kept moving the horse and his wagon further into the swamps.

Throndir

I give her smile "of course." I look around knowing something is about to go down but can't figure out what. I mumble something to myself and listen

Throndir

The group continued to move forward, as you kept a close eye on your surroundings. You continued for a good 10 minutes into the swamps. The muddy road had steadily grown worse and more cumbersome. You reach a point where it looks as if the road had begun to turn into a muddy dirt. However, as the horse came upon it, the ground suddenly gave way, as the horse's two front feet began quickly sinking into the ground. It attempted to neigh in warning.

(Perception: [1d20] 18)

And that's when you noticed it. There were figures hidden in the bushes around you.
From what you can tell they haven't noticed that -you- noticed them yet, and could still react.

(Initiative: [1d20+5] 1 + 5 = 6)

Before you can react, you heard the tell-tale twanging of bows, and immediately 3 arrows zoomed into the horse in front, the weapons embedding themselves deeply into the creature.

The daughter shrieked, as the grandfather pulled out what looked to be a long dagger. The merchant, still on the horse pulled out his weapon too. "Mr. Kirkland!" He yelled out as he attempted to hurry his horse out of the quickly sinking dirt.

"You dumb horse! Get out of the mud before you -sink- in it!"

Throndir

I get to the top of the carriage and slam down my staff making it release a thick fog that is almost impossible to see through and point my staff around and feel a vibration telling me there is an opponent so I jump off the carriage and run quickly and silently to him. I then whisper in a low tone "Alexander. Electric."

Throndir

Going on top of the caravan, you unleashed your staff's ability, and soon enough a thick cloud covered the entire area. It spread with a 20 ft. radius from where you had struck the caravan with the butt of your staff, encompassing both the wagon and the horse in a thick cloud, of about 40 ft. in diameter altogether.  You heard there were some scuffling noises to your east where the arrows came from, and you heard the tell-tale sound of swords being drawn. But they didn't charge forward. Likely they were wary from the fog. Instead you took the initiative, you had an idea of where they were already hidden, and moving forward, you saw your first quarry. It looked to be an orc. The green-skin, along with its tusks in its mouth was easy to identify. Around 10 ft. away from it, you unleashed your electricity, as the staff's Lightning Bolt sped out of the staff's tip straight towards the creature.

(Lightning damage roll [8d6] 3, 5, 1, 3, 6, 2, 2, 5 = 27)

The lightning exploded, as the flash of light seared through the creature's flesh, both burning it as it yelled in agony. A moment later it was downed, laying unmoving.

There were two other orcs as well, these two already had their swords drawn out, and they closed the distance to attack you with their crude blades out.

Both of them attacked, but their attacks were flimsy, and they both missed.

(Two orcs are adjacent to you, 5 ft. away. One orc is dying and unconscious 10 ft. away)

Throndir

When both the orcs attacked and missed, you took that opportunity to counter attack with your own blades. Dropping your staff, you lunged towards the first orc, aiming for its chest.

(Attack 1: [1d20+6] 12 + 6 = 18
Damage: [1d6+5] 6 + 5 = 11)

Your claws raked in deeply, and a gush of blood poured out. You followed up with your second claw...

(Attack 1: [1d20+6] 4 + 6 = 10)

However, even though it was injured, the orc managed to put up a defense as it parried your claws with its blade.

Wounded that orc attempted to thrust its blade at you but its injuries made its movements predictable and you side-stepped out of the way. At the same time, the other orc attacked as well, but he too missed.

"Garbosh kel oman!" The orc said outloud in Orcish.

(Oh and current status. Orc 1: taken 11 damage. Orc 2: Uninjured. Both orcs are adjacent at 5 ft away.)

You remembered you spoke Orcish! You recognize the orcs words to be: "Our territory human!"

I just slice the surviving orc in half making sure he's dead then run off to find more and stumble upon many more so I quietly go behind the archers and slit there throats open while I watch to see if the girl is ok.
Lucy changed the chat colors
You lunged forward with your claw knives again, aiming for its neck...

(Attack roll: [1d20+6] 19 + 6 = 25
Critical confirmation: [1d20+6] 16 + 6 = 22
Critical hit!
Damage: [1d6+5] 4 + 5 = 9
Critical damage: 11
Total damage: 20)

You struck at it hard, nearly ripping its throat out. It was enough to immediately kill the orc where he stood. With your second attack, you attacked the other adjacent orc next to you as well...

(Attack 2: [1d20+6] 16 + 6 = 22
Damage: [1d6+5] 2 + 5 = 7)

The attack hit, but it continued to stay on its feet. In response the orc attacked you back, and its crude blade struck your shoulder, drawing blood. You felt your vision go blurry for a second, and with your knowledge of poison, you realized the weapon was coated in some sort of toxin.

(You take 10 damage.
Fortitiude against Poison: [1d20+4] 18 + 4 = 22)

You grit your teeth, as the blurriness went away. Like before, you attacked it again.

(Attack 1: [1d20+6] 8 + 6 = 14)

Your claws just barely hit, but the orc managed to move away just in time as the claws only scratched at its armor.

(Attack 2: [1d20+6] 16 + 6 = 22
Damage: [1d6+5] 4 + 5 = 9)

Your next attack however was successful as you stabbed the already injured orc. In response the orc attempted to hit again, and like before he managed to score a hit on the same shoulder.

(You take 9 damage. Current hitpoints: 21/40)

Rounding to its side you slashed with your claws.
(Attack 1: [1d20+6] 11 + 6 = 17
Damage: [1d6+5] 4 + 5 = 9)
It was enough, and that final blow took down the orc and brought it to its knees. It was still alive, simply dying and unconscious.
(Current Stats: Current HP: 21/40. Unconscious Orc 10 ft. away. A second unconscious orc 5 ft. away. A dead orc 5 ft. away)
You were injured, both strikes on your shoulder were painful, but you were glad that whatever poison that was laced into the orcs weapons didn't manage to affect you.

You heard a neighing at the road again. And you heard the fat merchant speak out. "Show yourselves you arrow shooting dung!"

I look around and see one more orc shooting arrows at the merchants horse so I lunged at the orc my arm still bleeding from the former attack and I started scratching at its eyes so it went blind then I shove my knives in his mouth and down his throat as I pull on his spine grabbing it and ripping it out of him from his mouth. "Filthy little wad of misery"

(Perception: [1d20] 20)

Looking around, there was no one else. You still hear the horse neighing from pain, and the merchant continued to throw insults at the know-dead or dying opponents.

You ripped out the unconscious orc's spine and the blood continued to drip down your hand.

The fog that you had laid down earlier was still in effect where the wagon sat. Since you were behind those bushes, the other three at the wagon was likely not able to see your display of gore or the fighting.

THey did, however, realize that the sounds of battles stopped.

"Kirkland! You still around?" You heard the merchant call out alongside the neighing of the injured horse.

I walk back to them covered in blood. "Yes. I'm right here sir" I look at him then check on the girl and her grandfather "Are you both alright?" I have genuine concern deep in my eyes

Through the thick fog, you walked towards them covered in blood. The fat merchant was at first taken aback as he pointed his sword at you, the girl too looked as if she was about to scream, but she covered her mouth instead. It was the grandfather who simply looked on at you, trying to discern your motives. When you finally spoke, asking if they were both alright, the grandfather first nodded. The daughter, seeing the concern in your face covered her eyes, and you can tell she was trying to stifle some tears in her eyes. It looked like she wanted to say something, but her father, the merchant on the horse, interrupted, trying to continue getting your attention.

"Help me pull out the horse!" He cried, and true enough, as you came back towards the group, you managed to be close enough to see through the thick fog, and see the horse almost half way down into the quicksand-like mud.

Throndir

"Leave it. Its going to die anyways. The arrows and swords were covered in a type of poison. It doesn't have long. You can use my horse instead." I look at the horse in the mud type quicksand and grab my staff.
The merchant looked as if he was about to argue. He paused for a moment, but spoke out anyways.

"Betsy has been with the family ever since she was a foal! We're not going to leave her to die in some swamp! Help me pull him out, the leathers I'm delivering to my buyer at Taelthan won't be in the city for long."
The horse continued its whinying, and the injuries looked worse since you were able to get closer up to it
It had already lost a lot of its blood. A lot of it was already mixed into the mud it was sinking into.

"Please pardon my sharp tounge but if he's not going to be in town for long we'd better get moving. This horse, though it has been in your family for awhile is dying. Look at her injuries, she's sinking in mud and couldn't move even if she wasn't in mud. Face the facts. We have limited time. We were ambushed. And We have a horse dying in pain. I was hired to keep you all safe. And that's what I intend to do. So shut your mouth and let's go before we ambushed a -second- time." I give him a deadly glare telling him to listen to me.
The merchant opened his mouth to argue further. But angrily, he instead grabbed a rope from the wagon, and began quickly tying it to the horse. With that done he began pulling on it, though this only caused the horse to whine even further.

The two other passengers on the wagon had looked away. Though the grandfather went up to the fat merchant, patting him.

"I've seen many horses with injuries like these... and these swamps are dangerous Rupert."

The fat merchant simply ignored him however, and angrily he began huffing and puffing trying to pull with all his might on the dying horse.
It was almost too pitiful, and everyone, perhaps even the merchant, knew that the horse was already done for. Even as he pulled, the horse continued to sink even further, and the continuous struggling only helped its blood flow out quicker.

Throndir

I sigh and can't stand it anymore so I cut the rope with my knives and grab my staff then take a deep breath "Alexander.... Make it painless." With that, the gem in the center started to glow a bright red and I pet the horses mane then touched it with my staff and watched its eyes get heavier and heavier until they closed completly. ".....Let's go....." I start to hook up my horse to the wagon not asking the merchants permission anymore. noting that he was a stubborn man
1:40AM

I finish hooking up the horse to the wagon and sigh finally noticing how much blood I'd lost. "Butterscotch..." I look at the girl knowing I'd scared her, and probably shouldn't speak the rest of the way there. I put away my knifed gloves then take off my coat hood, displaying my magenta hair, and run my fingers through it knowing today was going to be long

Throndir

You unleashed the power of your staff once again. Sparks of lightning flew, though they seemed to be more gentler than the first time you had activated it. The horse stopped moving.

"Y-you!" The merchant yelled, uncaring that this was indeed a dangerous swamp. He was visibly angry, though the grandfather moved to attempt to comfort him, even bringing him to the wagon. The grandfather attempted to reassure him as best as he could, and without further adue, the wagon began moving again, this time with Alphonse and his horse leading it. They rounded the muddy path, but eventually they were free from quicksand, leaving the now-buried dead Betsy behind them.

You heard some sniffling behind you as you rode onwards. It was the merchant's.

"I've already lost so much," You heard him say, though he didn't say it to anyone in particular.

Throndir

I kept moving avoiding the obstacles on the path while thinking to my self. I do feel bad for the guy. But if we haven't moved we would have been ambushed again. I looked ahead seeing a bit of light but not entirely sure what it was so I stopped for a minute to figure out if it was the opening or another group of attackers

(Perception: [1d20+8] 2 + 8 = 10)

As you came closer however, you realized that the light was from something burning deeper into the swamps. It was flames, that much you can tell, but it was still too far to get a good idea of what it was. The others with you noticed it as well, and they proceeded to become more quiet. Even the merchant who had been softly crying to himself quieted down, knowing full well the potential danger of the situation.

I dismount and pet my horse calming it down so it wouldn't make any noise. I then change my appearance to look like a local around here. And get closer leaving the wagon behind me unseen.

Stealth: [1d20+4] 11 + 4 = 15

Perception: [1d20+8] 20 + 8 = 28)

Pulling out your disguise kit, and quickly switching your attire to look ordinary, you began moving forward quietly, motioning the others to be quiet as well. You glided near the swamp-trees at the side of the roads, crouching low at times, and moving quickly as you did so. As you neared the flames, you realized that it was a burning wreckage of another caravan. The closer you got, you realized that there were bodies. Five of them from what you can see at your vantage point. They had some sort of armor on, and you noticed that they seemed like short and stocky people. You had to get closer to investigate better, but from what you can tell, the five bodies looked to be armed, or had been. The flames looked fresh, at the very least it couldn't have been more than 15 minutes since it was lit. However, the flames seemed unnatural to you, as even with the best conditions, keeping a flame intact in the middle of a light less and damp swamp was hard to start or maintain. There were a variety of crates on the burning caravan too, which hadn't caught fire yet as well.

Throndir

I look and see all that had happened and realize it was no accident. I quickly crouch in the lush vegetation and move closer then quickly jump in the caravan and grab a crate seeing what might have been inside. "It's hot just... damn." I breathe heavily and jump out of the burning caravan with the crate and scan my surroundings.

(You take 4 fire damage,
Current HP: 17/40)

Along with your wounds on your shoulder, the fire only helped make things worse. But you managed to eventually carry the crate out.
You open the crate and in it looked to be a variety of daggers, and other small weapons. Many of them looked to be mundane, but there was one which caught your eye. It was much more beautiful than the rest, with a blue-gem in its pommel. The blade itself was a obsidian, but what you noted from it was the intricate decorations of snowflakes etched into the blade itself. The blade too looked to have some sort of frost that lined the edge, which to you signified some sort of magic as no normal ice could remain in a solid form with all the heat from the wagon's flames.

(New item added to inventory: Dagger (unidentified)
Perception: [1d20+3] 12 + 8 = 20)

When you began to scan your surroundings, you didn't notice anyone in your immediate area. However, you do notice a coupel of broken branches leading deeper into the swamps, away from the road you traveled.

I take the dagger and put it away and walk back to the wagon thinking of what to do.

When you came back to your group, it was the grandfather who spoke, seeing that the merchant was still in a glum mood.
"Anthin' interesting over there?"

I sigh and look at him forgetting I was still in my disguise. "Well. To give it to you straight. There's a burning caravan up ahead with five dead. I looked through the crates that survived and found some daggers."

"Five?" The grandfather asked, you noted some worry in his voice. The merchant spoke up, interrupting the grandfather. "Another caravan then. Is their horse -dead- too?" There was a hint of venom in his voice, but a moment later he looked downwards. "We need to get to Taelthan... as soon as we can." The merchant's insistence to their destination was almost unexpected, given the merchant's state of mind just earlier. You noticed both the grandfather and the daughter look away as well when the merchant mentioned Taelthan.

"Of course." I start to walk back then stop "oh. And yes. The horse was also dead." I say flatly and then start walking again simply awnsering the question.

"W-wait!" It was the daughter this time, trying to get a hold of your attention as you began to walk away. "We need to treat your wounds." There was worry in her eyes too, but she had noticed the new set of injuries from the fire.

"......" I look at her and give a smile. "I'll be fine. I need to get you out of here as soon as I can." I try my best to walk right but have a slight limp.

The daughter looked towards her father, but he only shook his head. Leading the troupe forward, you made your way around the burning wagon, avoiding the fires altogether. The three in the wagon looked on at with dismal faces. After all, that could have been them. The group continued its slow march through the swamps, and due to the poor road conditions, more like mud, than actual paving, as well as taking detours around particularly quicksand-like mud, the going was slow. It was already entering late evening, the light too had already started to become dark, yet the group were still in the swamps.

"Eat something." You heard a voice form behind you. It was the girl again, and she seemed to be reaching her hand out, giving you what looked to be dried meat, jerky to be specific.

"Oh...um I don't think I should. I don't want to steal from you miss." I look at her and rub the back of my neck.

Even with all that was going on, she managed to still smile cheerily. "It's not, promise!"
She offered the food again, more insistently this time.

I just roll my eyes while smiling and taking the food. "You do promise right?" I raise an eyebrow while still not liking to take your food from you.

The girl nodded. Shortly after she began distributing pieces of food to the other two as well. And in silence they ate. Their nerves were still on alert from the scuffle earlier that day, the loss of their horse, and likewise the wreckage of the burning caravan they left far behind them. Yet, there was still no end in sight, and already night had started to arrive. The chill air became even more colder, and indeed, through the thick undergrowth, the fog in the area, and the large trees, even the moon's light didn't shine as much as it should.

(Everything is considered a low-light area, you can continue onwards with a torch, or any other light source if you think your character would have one, or go in darkness if you prefer, though all penalties associated with low-light will be in effect. Likewise another option is to camp.)

"Hmmm..." I look around in my riding bag to discover my flint and steel. I gently take them out and grab a piece of dry'er' wood. "...Let's see here..." I rip some of my shirts material off and wrap it around the top if the wood and light it. There you have a torch.

(Added flint and steel to inventory, as well as torch x12 - How many torches you want in your inventory?)

Pulling out some flint and steel, as well as some torch, you began looking for any wood that might be usable. However, being in a swamp most, if not all of the logs, were already damp and wet. They were hard to start, even as you created sparks, they were quickly snuffed out. You continued the process for awhile longer, but eventually you managed to get the cloth lit. Wrapping it around your torch, it ignited the item.

(Each torch lasts for 1 hour each, how many do you plan on using up for the journey through the night?)

(Seven. I plan on using seven XD

If you were to guess, it was already around midnight. The three passengers still continued to be awake however, their nerves still on edge. You hear the father, the merchant, tell the daughter to try to get some sleep.
You continued travelling for a couple more hours, ever alert, as your passengers slowly started drifting to sleep. Soon enough it was just you who was awake.

(Requesting a perception check.
Perception: [1d20+8] 10 + 8 = 18)

It was at that moment, that you heard something from behind you. It was soft, hardly hearable, but you can make out the sounds of something running towards you from behind. More than that, it sounded like multiple sets of legs, with a continual hum of thudding from somewhere behind you. Whatever it or they were, it was still off in the distance, but whatever it was, it was catching up quickly. You trusted in the speed of your horse, but with dragging a wagon, it may end up being a bumpy ride. It didn't help that the torch you held helped to be a clear beacon for any in the area. However, you did know that there were plenty of creatures of the night, who could see just fine in low light, and even through complete darkness. Likewise, you could always face them head on, but you still had wounds from the previous fights, and if it came to blows, it might be potentially fatal. The road ahead was curved and rounded a variety of trees, nor was the path smooth at all. Your three passengers were still fast asleep, unaware of the running footsteps you're hearing from behind.