[Interest Check] The Edge Hotel

Started by Ella, December 16, 2014, 02:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ella

Imagine finding a door. It looks like any other door you have seen. You are not sure where it came from or why it is there. It just is. Perhaps only you can see it at this point in time, or perhaps others are with you who can also see it. Upon entering the doorway, should your curiosity spur you into investigate, you find yourself stepping onto a path. Before you, you can see what looks like part of some sort of resort, surrounded by a tall wall. The path continues to a large, yet welcoming building with a fancy but rather old-fashioned sort of sign that reads

"Welcome to the Edge Hotel"

In smaller letters, you can see that it suggests you follow the path to the closest door. Upon doing so, you find yourself in a comfortable little office. Like the sign, it had an old-fashioned, medieval fantasy sort of feel to it.

"Welcome traveler!" An Elvin woman in the gown of a Lady greets you. "I am Lady Edelia. Please, allow me to explain this place."
[spoiler]
Sorry its just a tektek/Gaia avatar at the moment. I haven't been able to draw in a long while.[/spoiler]

From there, the woman goes on to tell you of how the Edge Hotel is like a space outside of all time and space. It is meant to be a place of peace and for resting the mind, body, and soul of weary travelers of the path of Life. Its single gate connects to all times and all places, but is not visible to nor accessible by all. The doors have been magicked so that those of evil alignment simply cannot see or go through them. (Those of Chaotic alignment may or may not be added to the list of those excluded should too many chaotic aligned characters cause trouble in the peaceful resort.) One may enter, but may only leave back into the world from which they came. Whether they leave at the same time as another from another realm, each visitor will be returned to the same time and place from which they left their own world. There can only be one of the same visitor in the Edge at a time (meaning your 20 year old self cannot be in the Edge at the same time as your 60 year old self; the door simply will not be visible to your past and future selves while you are present, simply because while you are in the Edge, you are no longer in your original world).

Visitors are allowed access to most of the hotel's land, but passing over, under, or through the wall surrounding it besides through the gate is forbidden with no exception. Those who still choose to attempt it are at risk of eternal death and possibly winking out of existence.

Overnight visitors are given a room, usually to themselves if possible, but sometimes it is necessary to make arrangements for room sharing. "Rooms" are more like cabins, with three sleeping chambers a piece and containing a bathroom, a kitchenette, and a dining/central room. The hotel boasts luxuries such as a restaurant and a bar, a game room, an exercise room, a park, a pool, and ballrooms, among others.

There is a limit to how long you can stay at the hotel as just a guest at a time, though most visitors do not stay so long that Edelia would have to make them leave. They usually get restless before they have overstayed their welcome.

Lady Edelia shows you a map of the entire property, assuring you that there are more at various locations around the place, just in case they are needed.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Pretty much, this would be its own roleplay forum in which there will be a main thread for all characters to interact, but side threads may also be created (such as balls, gaming tournaments, etc). "Lady Edelia" somehow makes it possible for the space to exist outside of time and space. There is a history in why and how she made it, but that is something that will be expanded upon as its story plays out. There are "employees" within the Edge who run various facilities and keep the place stocked and maintained. They may be retired adventurers, fearing death and so choosing a life outside of existence, or they may simply be curious travelers who decided to help out here and there as they come and go. Permanent characters may be made specifically for the roleplay (such as my Lady Edelia), though this roleplay would mostly be for everyone all over the forums to bring their characters in to test out before committing to them, or to have fun during slow periods in a particular roleplay, or whatever you want to do. Character sheets (even just simple ones) would be preferred (it would be awesome if they were posted (or linked to in a post) in a sub-forum that will be called the Guest Book, even if they were posted elsewhere on the site), but they would not be necessary.

More to be expanded upon later. Feel free to ask questions here.

Linwelin

Already at home in the hotel, Kin and Kuwan both clink their respective mugs together in a cheer before downing the contents with a satisfied, gasping sigh at the end. Nearby, at another lounge table, Viktor, Vladimir and Sebastian are all lying back in their seats enjoying a mild cup of tea. Viktor, of course, is tearing into a rather large book, only reaching for his cup at infrequent, odd intevals. Most likely at the end of a chapter. Off to the side, sitting solo at a table-for-two, Roman is vehemently scribbling away on scattered note sheets, muttering to himself both claims to idiocy and success. Most likely some new invention, and more than likely dealing with magnets. Uthaal was nowhere to be seen, but those wandering the premises could possibly spot a man relaxing in the park, a good-sized viper coiled around him loosely and resting it's head in his lap.

I believe they like it. :P

So I make sure I understand clearly. Though this roleplay will have it's own story and world, you're able to bring in any character from any other roleplay on the forum to use. Also, you can bring completely new characters from other roleplays to test their personalities and play styles, right?

Also, may I nominate Sebastian as a staff member? Since I'm pretty sure the Jameson RP is very dead (heh, zombies, dead, get it?...meh whatever). I really wanna use him in RP again, and he IS a butler. I imagine all those characters can be used, actually. We all know seeing Rina again will bring all sorts of laughs XD

As for the character sheets, they're just roleplay ones, not combat-ready ones, right? So they should detail personality traits and appearance, and everything else will be developed in-game. Or should we have combat stats? This is for characters that are new/don't already exist.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Throndir

That's an awesome idea Parks. I mean the whole Sebastion being a staff member. Lets say instead of the death that everyone knows is coming, since mortality rate is supposed to be high. They happen to find themselves at the Edge Hotel instead. Edelia could have came and taken them. Or they actually found a portal to the place, and everyone else in their original world thinks they're dead from the zombies.

Also look at that staff list: http://forums.fantasyworldcreations.com/the-jameson-estate/jameson-staff-list-(creator-year-joined-other-notes)/

Also for combat stats, if that's ever needed. What my friend KainBloodbane did, was do a sort of mashup of all the rules into one, and on a case-by-case basis. So you still end up using their original character sheet, and apply whichever skill/stat/however that ruleset works, to whatever's being attempted.

Eg. You have a character made in the Wushu system, and a character made in the Pathfinder system. They have to kill a bunch of monsters around them, each of them uses their own respective system. The strength and power level of the monsters around them are just some arbitrary strength/hitpoints so that a high level Wushu player, will be on the same strength level as a high level Pathfinder player. Case-by-case basis.

The guy explained it better, but it was a neat idea where he ran a game where the players were world-jumping, and meeting up with past PCs/NPCs. I think he required that each of his players in the sessions used a different character they previously played from a particular setting, and no one else could have used a character from that setting. The end results was a bunch of heroes from all different types of worlds. D&D, sci-fi, Shadowrun, modern, cthulu, etc, etc. All on some epic quest that required jumping between all those worlds.

Ella

@Linwelin: lol
Yup, absolutely any character can be brought in. Er... as long as they can fit within the space. Cause a huge giant dragon bigger than the whole resort would probably break it.

Sure! If a particular RP is completely dead and you think the character would be willing to live there, then we can do that. They would need more in-depth profiles, though.

Simple ones about appearance, personality, basic skills, and items on hand/in room are fine. But if there are tournaments, then all those entering in them would have to have combat stats (we'll probably do what Jo suggested). Its not necessary to make a profile, just nice to have so we can know how they look or if we forget something about a character that was said before and don't want to skim through all the posts to find it. Building onto the profiles as the RP goes on is probably what will happen, since characters will be developing in there. XD

@Jo: Yeah, whoever wants to keep their character from JE should definitely join Edelia. XD They'd have to get used to a world of magic and stuff, though. Maybe I'll open up the RP with Edelia bringing them in so as to have a starting story/event.