[Mako] Chapter 1: 18th Birthday

Started by Throndir, January 04, 2019, 05:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manzokushi

Date: Day 7 - Throughout the morning and afternoon

He awoke that morning and reflected on the week since his birthday. Each day had lead to a new discovery along with a better understanding of his powers. Today would be the day to see if all of his training had allowed him to finally step into the world (with his father's consent at least). He spoke with Kiyo briefly about breakfast and the various rituals of meals. He brought her food in hopes that she could eat at least in semblance of normalcy.

He then jumped straight back into training in hopes of perfecting his skills leading up to the event that would likely take place after dinner.

QuoteImproved Initiative Training:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+11 : 18 + 11, total 29[/blockquote]

Improved Initiative Training:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+11 : 3 + 11, total 14[/blockquote]

Constitution Check:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+10 : 12 + 10, total 22[/blockquote]

Once he was done with training, Mako will clean up before dinner and dress for the occasion.

Throndir

When you brought her food, she explained that she didn't need to eat, but that the villagers from long ago used to offer them to her shrine. If she put in effort into something, she could affect the physical world, but for the most part she chose not to. She commented that the food you offered was similar to the food she had seen the villagers eat at times, and the blue-haired girl eventually managed to try some of it.

You continued to train using the YouTube videos to act as a psuedo mentor.

QuoteNo need for the constitution check, since it's only needed after the free 8 hours, so I'm ignoring that one.

Trainings
Improved Initiative: Learned

Finally you were prepared.

QuoteState any preparations you want to do, and then we'll start the next chapter with the duel.

Manzokushi

Date: Day 7 – After Dinner

Mako's mind was focused as he prepared for the duel with his father. He knew that his dad would be quick, precise and likely a proficient swordsman. This meant that he would need to be faster and think outside the box. He had refined his blade that would certainly help in this endeavor.

He turned and smiled to Kiyo, "Kiyo-sama, today is the day and it is finally time to see if all that I have done to now has prepared me for this moment. No matter what, I will uphold my promise to you." Mako embraced Kiyo in slight hug and turned away quickly as his face turned bright red.

He was attempting to gather his thoughts and the words came out in a blur, "I should probably get ready for the match to come."

QuoteSpells that he would cast before facing his father are Air Sense and Guardian Armor. His intent was to utilize air sense to detect the movements of his blade, allowing Mako a minor edge in predicting his father's movements by reading the air currents. (Will use extra mana if needed to work this into the spell.)

He was dressed in his lightest garments with only the barest of necessities. He did not need to be impeded during this match. Before stepping out onto the battlefield he turned to his mother and bowed. "Thank you Okaa-san, no matter what today brings, I am thankful for your kindness and your grace."

Lastly he bowed deeply to his father, "Otou-san, I look forward to this opportunity to show you that I have grown. No matter the outcome I am your son and will always be your son."

Initiative Check:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+9 : 4 + 9, total 13[/blockquote]

Throndir

QuoteYour Tier 2 Air Sense Spell is already using the max number of unique spell effects, you will need to move that to Tier 3 before you can add another unique spell effect.

A slight flush of pink appeared on Kiyo's cheeks, but she willed herself to have a physical presence and hug you back.

"You can do it Mako! I'll watch. It's not like anyone can see me anyways!"

You managed to cast Air Sense, and a gust of wind started to encircle you and around the area. After that, metallic pieces of armor started covering sections of your body, though, not impeding your movement.

"Of course Mako." Your mother said.

"And you will always be my son, of course. I've seen you training hard... and you even mastered some strange spells." Your father said, as the wind that was lightly blowing around the area rustled through his clothes and hair. "The armor you have too... Not even our mages in the army could do such things."

"Now... Prepare yourself!" He said as he raised his bokken, or wooden blade. With Kiyo watching, along with your mother, the duel started.

QuoteRoll initiative

Manzokushi

No worries on the spell effects, just thinking of any other edge I could give myself. I realize that I am trying to hard to apply supernatural capabilities to elemental manipulations. I need to learn another form of magic it would seem to achieve many of these goals. I will need something more along the lines of full on Wizardry or Sensory Magic to get the desired result. Will keep that in the back of mind as we press forward.

Mako nodded to his father and prepared for combat. He would likely not be able to outpace his father so he will take up a defensive position in preparation for the opening of combat.

Initiative Roll
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+9 : 8 + 9, total 17[/blockquote]

Throndir

[blockquote]Father Initiative 1d20+4 : 1 + 4, total 5[/blockquote]

Throndir

QuoteTake your turn. Your father is 25 ft. away. Kiyo and your mother are to the side watching the duel.

Manzokushi

Mako paused certain that his father would be waiting in a careful defense, but there was no time for that. He lowered his bokken into drawing strike and charged forward to strike.

Drawing Strike
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+6 : 6 + 6, total 12[/blockquote]

If strike lands
[blockquote]Rolled 1d6+4 : 4 + 4, total 8[/blockquote]

Throndir

QuoteUnsure where you are getting the +6 from, I'm seeing the following:

+5 (BAB) +4 (STR) +2 (charge) = +11

Adding the charge bonus as you mentioned you're charging in your descriptor. That comes with a -2 AC penalty.

You rushed forward, faster than your father could react to. He tried to defend and dodge out of the way, but you were just a bit faster. You managed to land a clean blow in just a few seconds of the duel starting, and everyone was staring in shock.

"Wha-" Your father began.

"You did it! I knew you could beat that old man!"

Manzokushi

Mako stood in shock that he was able to land a clean blow so quickly. He looked to his father first with pride in his eyes but he quickly cast that aside and shifted his eyes to a place of respect. With a twist of the wrist he tucked the bokken behind his arm and gave a very deep bow. He was speechless and to a greater degree still unsure how he had moved so quickly.

After a few moments had passed he whispered, "Otou-san...thank you for...everything."

Throndir

"How could I...? I thought I was pretty good... Am I getting old." His last comment made his skin go pale, but he eventually shook himself out of it as he sighed. A moment later he shook his head and began to quietly laugh.

"My boy, I'm not sure what happened to you, but to think you can best me that easily..."

"Very well... I can't go back on my word... When you came back covered in wounds a couple days ago, I thought that would be a sign that you would give up... But you kept training."

"So, Mako, what are your plans then? The life of a farmer out here isn't so bad..."

Manzokushi

At last Mako relaxed and a smile returned to his face. "I have a lot of things that I want to do and more to share. I want to confide in you because I will need your wisdom I believe. All that I ask you keep an open mind."

He paused letting his words register with his parents and sneaking glimpses at Kiyo. He wanted to be sure she knew that she was a part of this. He was not doing this alone. He considered her to be a part of his team, a friend and a companion.

His gaze danced between his mother and father, "Can we please go inside, perhaps drink some tea and then I can discuss my vision with you. I would very much appreciate any counsel that I can receive. This may sound strange but I would ask that we prepare another space at the table and enough tea for four."

Throndir

"Tea for four? I don't mind... but are you expecting any other guests? Tami-chan?" Your mother asked.

With that, the three of you, along with Kiyo following behind, made their way back indoors.

"There's something I need to grab, I'll be back down here though." Your father said as he went upstairs to retrieve something, leaving you and Kiyo at the table.

"I'll prepare the tea." Your mother said as she began prepping the tea.

"Mako! I bet as you are now you can put up a fight with some of the swordsmen back in Kurokumo! You were amazing!" Kiyo said, a hint of pride in her voice.

"As expected of my first follower, of course!"

Manzokushi

Mako nodded to his mother and father as they departed the room. He then turned to Kiyo, "Kiyo-sama thank you so much for your confidence and praise." He paused for a moment, "I suppose I am your first follower, how about that! I will represent you proudly, I swear that to you. Your influence will grow again as we travel this world."

He thought for a moment then continued, "When my parents come back into the room, I plan to share with them who I am and my past life. I feel it is important that they know. Perhaps they will be able to shed some light on whom or what I am. Once the conversation turns to speaking of you, I plan to hold your hand and attempt to assist in manifesting your presence.  I figure if you share my mana that should boost your ability to stay visible. If they know about you then perhaps we can begin to spread the word of your existence again and help you to grow."

Mako allowed his words to settle upon her shoulders, "Any advice before they return? If you advise that you do not wish to be seen, that is ok as well."

Throndir

"Mhmm!" Kiyo smiled happily and smugly. "The whole village used to worship me, you know?"

"Hmmm... I can physically move objects if I put my mind to it, but it tires me out too... But as for becoming visible? That might take a lot of mana. I don't mind appearing for your parents though, I would do at least that for my follower!"

It was the father who appeared first, bringing with him a small box. He then proceeded to place it on the table in front of the two of you. Your mother soon came as well, having prepared the tea. As you requested earlier, she had produced four of the teacups, and placed them on the table.