Chapter 1: First day on the job

Started by pringerbeam, July 27, 2017, 04:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mysticsage

"Thanks for the help man!" He said with a sort wave as he pulled in seeing the various bits of graffiti and tags that had been scrawled on the outer concrete walls. Finally finding a spot in the visitor's parking that was not filled with some kind of debris or trash. Making sure things were locked before heading into the main entrance.

He quickly scoped out the main office of the security block taking in the place that was going to be his life for the next year at a minimum before walking up to the officer at the front desk, "HI I'm Shane Beltane can you point me to the Chief's office?"

[info]
Can i get a quick description of the space and the ambiance are we talking mad max one or are we talking something like new york from castle or Flash?
[/info]

pringerbeam

The security station, while not dirty, seems to have seen better days.  The occasional graffiti tag on the lower level plascrete walls giving way after several floors to vast windows in which you can see security officers milling about before you enter the garage.  Fortunately, the visitor parking is quite clean and without debris or much in the way of visitors for that matter.  You have no problems finding a parking spot just a few spaces away from the visitor's entrance.  Going through the doors you find yourself in a busy entry hall as security officers mill about heading to and from elevators off to the side and an open portal in back with a sign overhead identifying it as the garage.  The entryway is well lit by lighting panels in the walls and high ceiling, clean, and well maintained and you see small cleaning drones zipping around between the security personnel.  You're unsure if the cleanliness is going to be similar beyond the entrance or if its only cleaned to impress the first glance but the polished plascrete floor and metallic walls of the large open hall gives you a feeling of being worn but well maintained.
     You are separated from the rest of the hall by a waist high barricade funneling you to scanning arches on either side of a desk at which is seated an isselessian idly looking at his comlink when you walk in.  He looks up at you with a look of almost surprise at anyone coming in through the door.  He flips down a visor that was sitting on top of his head and looks you over.  "Oh, new guy."  Just head through to the elevators, that ARO should get the elevators to take you there automatically.  He swivels around in his chair and waves you along before stopping for a second.  "You are unarmed right?  If these things go off everyone around is supposed to react and trust me, you don't want to be the new guy that made everyone late to get on patrol or go home on your first day."  He nods over to the security officers and you realize that it's 7:30 AM and they are changing shifts for the morning. 

Mysticsage

"I don't believe I have anything you could classify as a weapon on me. Thanks for the heads up though." He said with a wave moving through the scanner closing his eyes for half a moment knowing that he did not even have a knife on him that could set off the alarm before moving towards the elevator. Hitting the button and entering the lift.

pringerbeam

"Just making sure.  Lotta guys carry a side piece."  He once again motions you along and sits back down at the desk to resume his idling, his eyes firmly back on his comlink as you walk through the scanners towards the elevators.  You get on the elevator with several other officers who seem to do their best to avoid any conversation with the look of someone who has just spent the whole night awake.  After a few floors they all get off at once onto a floor where you see signage for locker rooms leaving you alone in the suddenly spacious elevator.  The elevator continues upwards until it finally stops and the doors open.  The floor you step out on to is impeccably cleaned.  A polished floor of either real stone or a good lookalike stretches down the short hallway of frosted glass you are presented with.  To the left is a sign labeling a doorway as "Administrative Secratary's Office"  is inscribed into the glass overhead.  To the right the glass is transparent to reveal a conference room with a circular table dominating the middle of the room.  And finally, ahead the doorway is labeled with "Section Security Chief Glonshar."

Mysticsage

Walking out of the elevator with purpose he went up to the security chief's door and knocked. Shane kept his left hand clenched; the ride up had made the nerves begin to settle in and he didn't want to seem nervous in front of the boss before he even started on the job. The weight of a good first impression weighed heavy on him while he waited for a response.

pringerbeam

You hear "enter" barked out from the other side of the door just before it opens on its own.  On the other side of the door you are greeted by a very large office.  To either side are several display cases and holographic displays which seem to be showing various reports and mugshots.  Ahead, a large desk stands against a backdrop of a full-wall window showing the glowing buildings outside.  Sitting at the desk and pounding away at a console interface is a large ehrbu, apparently one that had undergone the augmentation which allows one of his species to live outside of the aquatic environments they call home.  To the left of the desk stands a vibrant red coral formation reaching up to the ceiling on a squat table, while off to the right of the desk, a large table with several chairs arranged around it is occupied by a human sitting and fiddling about with his comlink, a drink in one hand.  The ehrbu, probably Section Security Chief Glonshar, barely flicks his gaze over to you for an instant as he continues his work.  "Hey Lang, your mewling pup seems to have arrived."  The human, apparently Lang stands up and waves you over while he pockets his comlink and straightens out his armored vest and downs whatever was in the glass before setting it on the table with the set it matches.

Mysticsage

"Shane Beltaine reporting for registration," he said with a half-cocked smile before turning serious before the two men.  He walked into the room before the two men," Apologizes Chief for being behind schedule, it turns out getting onto the station with a car was more difficult than I thought it would be. I'll have a report on your desk with the proper information on your desk by the morning in case something comes of it."

Turning to Lang, "I've been told I'm a bit of a handful at the best of times, but I learn fast so I look forward to working together." he held out a hand brightly to shake while studying just what kind of demeanor this precinct had. If assumedly high ranking officers were just allowed to lounge in the Chief's office with a drink while they waited instead of doing some kind of busy work at his desk at this hour. It either made him very happy this was his first assignment or slightly afraid. But nothing good came from snap judgments the best thing he could do was start with the best foot he could and let experience tell him what was true or not."

pringerbeam

The chief smiles with a toothy, if not slightly unnerving, ehrbu grin of rows and rows of teeth.  "See Lang?  Paperwork!  On my desk!  Maybe he should be your training officer."  The ehrbu chuckles slightly as he stands from his seat.  "OK, lets get this over with shall we."  He tugs out the hem of his dress uniform and straightens the metal and glass collar full of bubbling liquid around his neck.  He corrects his posture and taps a button on his console.  "This is Security Section Chief Glonshar of Confederation Outpost 17892 Block 7 presiding over the activation of Shane Beltaine."  He points to officer Lang who responds.  "Sergent first grade Stephen Lang witnessing."  Without skipping a beat Glonshar continues.  "Under the authority invested in me by my post as an officer of the Confederation Police Service Detecting Operations and General Security Division, I hereby promote Cadet Beltaine to the rank of officer third grade."  He pulls out a blue metal badge from his desk and presents it to Shane.  "Congratulations Officer Beltaine."  Lang starts to clap.

Mysticsage

"Thank You, Chief, I'll do my best to be worthy of the badge." After a pause to soak in the fact that even if only in name; he was a real officer of the law. He then continued, "So where do you want me to start? I'm to ride along with any patrols you have I imagine?" He looked to Lang, "Or is there already desk work I should be aware of?"

pringerbeam

The chief sits back down in his chair and begins to once again tap away at his console.  "Officer Lang here is going to be your training officer for your first week.  Today he will walk you through the station and get you set up here before taking you out to see your beat.  Lang here can see to any other question you might have.  Now if you don't mind, the bureaucrats need their due."  At this the chief waves you off towards the door, his gaze never leaving the screen before him. 
     "Come on newbie, it's time to learn the ropes."  Says Lang as he starts to make his way to the door.  "I guess I should introduce myself though, huh?  Name's Steven Lang, you can call me whatever you want but if the brass is around Sergent is probably a wise choice.  Where are you from?"  Lang speaks as he walks, making his way to the elevator where he presses the button before turning around to point at the door marked "Administrative Secretary's Office."  "That's the admin secretary's office, they are in charge of making sure the brass are in the right place.  Not sure if you'll ever need to talk to them unless you're in trouble and get called up the chain.  So hopefully this is all you ever hear of them.  If not... well try and get on Sharna's good side.  She likes real chocolate but can spot the synthetic stuff without even tasting it and you don't want to get on the bad side of a bagooran lady."

Mysticsage

Shane did the best he could to take mental note of everything that the sergeant was saying about his new office; with special attention to the tips and tricks of the tiny intricacies of daily life. He almost didn't hear the question about where he was from right away as it took him a minute to respond. "I'm from the Sol system Serg though don't let that fool you if you are expecting a spoiled rich kid everyone is going to be very disappointed," he said with a rye smile. Now that Lang was standing so close in the elevator he could more easily judge the man how he held himself and how he moved without seeming creepy or overly close.

[info]quick physical description of lang please along with how he is holding himself.[/info]

pringerbeam

[info]Please make a Perception + INT [Mental] test[/info]

Mysticsage

[info]
Int 3 + Perception 2 +1 Perceptive
[blockquote]Rolled 6d6 : 1, 2, 5, 6, 5, 1, total 20[/blockquote][/info]

pringerbeam

The Sergent is an older Caucasian man with a well weathered face and a short cropped salt and pepper haircut.  His eyes are brown but on closer inspection you are able to note the subtle artificial lines that would indicate them to be cyberware.  He looks to be quite fit despite being somewhere later in his fifth decade of life from what you can tell by his appearance, suggesting that he is likely a Type B genetic lineage.  He unzipped his armored vest while walking down the hall to let it hang in a more relaxed state and revealing a pack of cigarettes tucked away in one of the inner pockets as well as a second pistol that appears to be a firearm in a shoulder holster while his standard issue beam pistol hangs in its holster from his belt. 
     "Oh? Whereabouts did you grow up?  I'm from one of the older colonies, Shin Nippon if you've ever made it out of the Sol system.  At this point though I've lived  here on Bluelight longer.  Only ever been to the home system once on vacation, Not Earth though, hit the beaches of the martian lowlands.  Nice place."  He asks as he taps the elevator console.

[info]Perception
You notice a bulge in the small of his back and the odd way that his armored vest hangs as he turns to use the console that looks like a third firearm concealed from the casual observation.[/info]

Mysticsage

"Most people laugh when I tell them," Shane said with a sigh as he followed behind taking note of the third firearm. "but its written in my file so if I refuse to tell you it's not hard to look up. I'm from San Francisco, though I'm not one of those rich sons looking to make a name for themselves. So don't look to me for any tabs to pay." He knew the looks he got when he said he was born in San Francisco the entire city was a marvel of high tech toys and a strange love of nature carried over from its 21st-century roots.

When silicon Valley became more silicon then Valley. Those who were able fled to cities like Seattle or San Francisco to actually live. San Francisco, in particular, was is known for its artists and purposeful maintaining of nature and its heritage along with the future made it a hub for the world over with its own branch of the Galactic Academy to boot. "I spent most of my time as a child at the Alcatraz Orphanage until I was old enough to go to school. So don't expect any kind of opera tickets or fine wine for the office gift exchange." Known as the Isle of misfit toys to the locals the idea of having a prison right off the shore of there homes rubbed residents the wrong way so they turned it into an orphanage for those who had enough status or circumstances to be taken care of by the nuns. Though no amount of refurbishing could remove the fact that it was still a prison.

[info]hopefully I didn't get this idea from something you wrote that's the setting documents that subconsciously made me think this was good. I can change it if thats the case.[/info]