Chapter 1: First day on the job

Started by pringerbeam, July 27, 2017, 04:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pringerbeam

"San Fransisco not all the matrix ads put it up as eh?  I guess nothing ever is."  The elevator stops and Lang steps out into a darker hallway of the same polished plascrete floors as everywhere else but the walls are decorated by black matte metal panels.  You recognize the decor and the sign pointing towards the lockers to the left but Lang turns down towards the other end of the hall.  "Alright, this here is the logistics floor: home of the quartermaster, all his toys, and the lockers.  Time to get you your kit."  He makes the short walk to the end of the hallway where a large and heavy set of doors are labeled with "Armory."  The doors stand closed before Lang walks to the console next to them where he places his palm on a scanner.  The doors slide open after several solid clunking sounds to reveal a dalz'hu sitting at a desk drinking a beverage while they scroll through their comlink with a beam rifle strapped to his chest.  The guard glances up at you and his hand goes to the grip of his rifle but relaxes as Lang steps back into view.  Lang explains with a curt "new guy" and the guard nods you along and presses a control somewhere behind his desk to open a door to your left.  Walking through, you com to a large desk shielded by thick armored glass.  On the other side sits a viguawa, hunched over a disassembled weapon and tinkering away with a large optical device strapped over one of his eyes.  "This is quartermaster Whisperwing.  Whisperwing, this is the new officer.  Introduce yourself new guy."

Mysticsage

"Heya, name's Shane glad to be working with you," he said walking closer to the glass to get a better look at what Whisperwing was putting together. "You like to take things apart and put them back together huh? What are you working on?" Anyone could see him gravitate towards Whisperwing's table and forget about their actual purpose for being their after a few seconds of watching the other man work from what he felt was a respectable distance as to not be looming. Aside from forensics, he spent most of his free time tinkering or making things to calm his mind in the dorm. He had forced his roommate more than once to be a model for costumes or art pieces with the promise of food at the end.

pringerbeam

The quartermaster looks up from his work on what appears to be a small drone.  "Standard pursuit drone, or at least it was.  Those asshats in in the autonomous policing division keep making unapproved and undocumented modifications to their equipment and then expect me to clean it all up when some punk makes a lucky potshot."  He slides the mass of electronics and vectored thrust systems to the side, pulls the optics suite off his head, and gets up from his bench to walk over to one of the numerous lockers behind him.  Opening up one of the lockers he pulls out a small plasteel crate and hefts it onto the desk.  Pulling up a datapad he slides it under the glass for you to pick up. "You are now being provided your standard policing equipment which contains the following: one standard armored vest with integrated communications suite, one standard issue mark VI beam pistol, two standard issue power packs for the preceding service weapon, one shock baton, one set of metal handcuffs, and one set of containment manacles."  The quartermaster rattles off the listing as he passes each piece under the glass.  After he passes the manacles to you he slides a sensor pad under the glass.  "Now, please place the appropriate appendage onto the scanner to note your acceptance of this equipment and register your biometrics to the station database.  By accepting this equipment, you are agreeing to NOT make any unsanctioned modifications you your equipment.  You will NOT interface any personal equipment into your communication suite.  If your equipment is damaged in the line of duty, return it to the logistics center for repair or replacement.  If you lose any of your equipment, it must be reported to the logistics department and your salary may be penalized for replacement.  If you require any additional equipment you must place a requisition order."  With that he slides the drone back to in front of himself and puts his optical device back on.  "Now, regarding transportation, you will need to go down to the service garage to check out a patrol vehicle with standard load-out for use each day, personal vehicles must registered for access to the officer parking and for use on patrol.  They'll let you know all about the liabilities associated with that when you get there.  Any questions?"

[info]You receive the following
1x Confederation Police Service Patrol Armor https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BpU4Ujya7icKgeCDi1REg7HX8eMWwndwAhNV7CvnbPU/edit#heading=h.mrmu7wupi1lo
1x Confederation Police Standard Issue Beam Pistol https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BpU4Ujya7icKgeCDi1REg7HX8eMWwndwAhNV7CvnbPU/edit#heading=h.2o190hkld19r
2x Beam Powerpack (Light Beam Pistol)
1x Stun Baton
1x Metal Handcuffs
1x Containment Manacles[/info]

Mysticsage

"Actually yeah, I do have one or two questions," he said while placing his left hand on the panel to be registered. "I have some high-grade imaging contacts I would prefer to use the imaging software along with my comm-link; for duty use and record keeping, it makes it causes fewer problems in the long run. Would I fill out request forms with you to use that functionality or should I just turn it off? They still function well enough without the link for their main purpose, but I'm new and rather have proof if things go sideways."

[info]
the usual new named character perception check for Whisperwing
[blockquote]Rolled 6d6 : 5, 1, 4, 3, 4, 5, total 22[/blockquote][/info]

pringerbeam

You get a good look at the quartermaster as he picks up his tools and continues his work.  He appears older, probably in his second century of life or possibly even his third.  His plumage is a dark blue with a iridescent hue that has slightly faded with his age.  He's dressed in simple industrial work clothes rather than any police uniform and you don't see any service weapon on him.  Indeed, the only weapons you see in view are all partially disassembled or damaged as you get a better look at the various projects left out on the workbenches that are arranged in two rows that run down the middle of his rather spacious room.  On one bench you're pretty sure you see a beam rifle that has been shattered by some great force set alongside a beam pistol that appears to be partially melted, further back you see more heavy duty security doors that appear to lead off to other parts of the department.  His talons show plenty of calluses and the claws themselves are slightly chipped probably from the picking that he does at the internal working of the drone while he maneuvers his tools into different nooks and crannies.  Fine arcs of energy dance at the point of one of the devices he has stuck into the guts of the drone. 
     "Officially?  No personal weapons or electronics are allowed."  He answers continuing his work.  "Unofficially?  You give me whatever you want interfaced and I'll give them a look over.  If I don't see anything I don't like, you can interface them with your coms.  No guns though, too many issues when the trials come around and they find out you're packing extra heat.  Some people..."  He looks hard at the Sergent with irritation in his eyes.  "Might have devised some unsanctioned workarounds to this particular guideline but those are not a wise decision and you shouldn't listen to them.  Isn't that right officer Lang?"  He punctuates this last sentence with a cracking pop of his repair tools causing a small puff of smoke to wreath his beak.  The Sergent simply makes an innocent look, shrugs his shoulders and replies "I don"t know what you're talking about old man."

Mysticsage

Shane raised an eyebrow before looking between the two other men questioningly and shrugged, "you don't have to worry about that with me. I'm not one for more than a pistol anyway if I can help it." he said choosing to ignore the obvious questions in the air. He dug into his back pocket and pulled out his contacts case open it so and then placed it on the counter in front of the glass wall, "I keep them on me out of habit if you want to take a look."

"Oh, before I forget does this armor fit under an armored jacket?"
he said holding up the chest piece to himself for size.

pringerbeam

The old viguawa takes the contacts case.  "That depends on what kind of jacket.  If you have one of those tight clubbing affairs?  Probably not.  Most other jackets should work.  Plenty of guys wear something with a little more coverage over their vests on the beat.  As for these..."  He says holding the contacts case.  "I'll get these back to you tomorrow.  Hopefully you can see..."  He motions to the various projects underway.  "I have a lot of work to do.  Anything else you need me to look at while I'm at it?"

Mysticsage

"I think that's everything that directly interfaces. Thanks for the help man." Shane said as he moved to his locker to finish setting up his biometrics

pringerbeam

After setting up your biometrics (getting your fingerprints and retinas scanned in and even a quick prick for DNA), you're shepherded back out of logistics and across to the other end of the floor's main hallway to the locker rooms.  With the Sergent showing you the showers and gym before coming to a room of lockers titled "Squad 6" where he gives you some time to change into your patrol gear.  After getting changed, he then takes you back to the elevator and down to another floor.  You're immediately greeted by a busy open floor filled with officers at desks and a number of detainees being processed. 
     "This is the bullpen.  Technically its titled as the justice administration and processing floor.  We're over here."  He leads you over to an area enclosed by cubicle height walls.  Several desks with computer consoles are arrayed along the sides.  "And this is you" continues Lang as he comes to a desk upon which sits a bone shaped chew toy and leash with your name on it.  "Bit of a joke on the part of the other guys it would seem.  Sorry they aren't here to administer it to you themselves.  Everyone is already on patrol.  The squad is put on patrol together for a full shift.  Later, your partner will be assigned at the start of each shift so you'll get plenty of chances to get to know everyone.  They keep our patrol routes  close enough together that usually we're our own backup.  Oh and there's a charger at each of the desks for your powerpacks.  Don't forget to keep those things charged.  Now, we'll just head on over to the lieutenant to introduce you to our immediate boss before we get your first day really started."
     He guides you to one of the offices lining the edges of the bullpen knocks and enters, ushering you in behind him.  The office is decently sized, nothing like the vast office of the chief above but enough room for a desk with a comfortable chair, two  chairs before it, and some limited walking room.  Sitting at the desk and working away on a console is the lieutenant.  A nameplate with Lieutenant Lizbeth Hall sits facing you.  The Sergent doesn't sit, remaining standing instead.  "Ok, and finally here is lieutenant Hall: our boss and the person who keeps us in line.  Boss, I give you the new recruit."

[info]Presumably you're changed into your patrol armor and the standard kit.  Anything you want to leave in your locker or carry on you in addition to your standard kit, just note it in your next post.[/info]

Mysticsage

"Shane Beltaine reporting for duty ma'am," he said holding out his hand "it is a pleasure to be working with you." It was strange feeling the weight of his armor as he leaned over to shake his new bosses hand. While the trip over showed just how far away from home he was it was the weight of that armor that made him realize just how permanent this whole thing actually was. Though he wore the smile he had so well practiced ever since he was a child.

[info]
usual perception check for new named characters
[blockquote]Rolled 6d6 : 1, 3, 3, 1, 4, 4, total 16[/blockquote]
[/info]
[okay]
additional equipment
Shock gloves
lined coat
earbuds
commlink
2 stim pack 4s
[/okay]

pringerbeam

The lieutenant had a serious look on her strikingly attractive face.  She was human and judging by her flawless complexion, either very well groomed or a type A genetic lineage.  She was dressed in patrol armor which was either impeccably maintained or had seen very little action judging by the lack of scuff marks and wear.  The short sleeved fatigues she wears under her armored vest reveal the lower end of a glowing tattoo.  A tattoo which shows a little more of the neon pink skull as she leans forward, resting her elbows on her desk and interlacing her knuckles in front of her mouth.  "Welcome to the force officer Beltaine, I'm here to make sure the clock gets punched and the endless maw of bureaucracy gets fed so here's the ground rules: the Sergent here will make sure you survive the streets but don't take up any of his bad habits.  I expect you to have your reports in on time and your collars apprehended cleanly.  You make any fuckups, you report them to me immediately.  Do I make myself clear?"  She stares at you throughout the whole speech, not even acknowledging the presence of the Sergent beyond the brief mention of him in their spiel.

Mysticsage

"Crystal captain," he said almost glad for the strictness. It reminded him of the nuns and teachers he knew back home. "I hope to be someone this precinct can be proud of. I honestly am one of those few odd balls who enjoy the paperwork as much as being out in the feild. Just let me know if something comes up in my fillings or anything like that and I'll see that it gets worked out."

pringerbeam

"Good.  The sergent will give you a tour of the habitation block today.  Not a normal patrol route, but it will orient you to the major districts and landmarks.  Don't let your guard down though.  We're a long way from the admin block here in number 7.  HTR takes a while to arrive so play it safe.  No heroics."  With this last statement she looks hard at the sergent with a look that apparently transcends species judging by how similar it was to the look of irritation that the quartermaster gave him.  Again, the sergent puts on a perfectly innocent expression in response to the stare.  "This isn't an action trid, it's a job.  Act like it."  With that statement which you're pretty sure wasn't directed at you,the lieutenant leans back in her chair and waves you along towards the door before returning to working on her console.  Sergent Lang ushers you along.
     "Alright time to saddle up!  The best part of the day in my opinion."  Exclaims the sergent the second the door to the lieutenant's office closes behind you.  "Down to the garage we go."  He takes a brisk pace heading back across the floor to the elevator.

Mysticsage

"You are never driving my baby Sergeant. So I hope you have your own car." Shane smirked following behind to the garage. "I take it you have a bit of a reputation in the office? Anything I should be aware of before we are out in the field together?" Shane was known back home for being a bit of a troublemaker though the academy had taught him the need for stability and a set of rules that he can plan around and depend on.

pringerbeam

"Ha!  Not happening rookie.  I drive today and we're taking a patrol car.  When you are off the leash and get to drive you're free to take your personal vehicle as long as it get registered with the garage but until then no driving.  Though, I'd recommend against it for standard patrol.  You don't want to be the millionth and first rookie to get the precious car they spent their academy stipend on full of holes.  Call outs for new cases are fine though...  for the most part."  You emerge from the elevators back on the main entrance floor and make your way to the second garage entrance that you had seen earlier.
     Entering through the doors you find yourself assaulted by the smell of industrial lubricant and noise from tools and engines.  The garage is decently large with plenty of headroom but dimmer lighting than the rest of the station.  Spotlights are focused on vehicles in various states of repair.  Almost all of them are near identical wheeled cars, sturdily built but nevertheless showing signs of battle damage to differing degrees.  Dominating the back of the garage, you see an armored personnel carrier with what looks to be an entire side panel removed.  Sergent Lang walks over to an caged in area where there is a clerk sitting behind a desk similar to the quartermaster's upstairs.
     "Gurt, picking up a patrol car and a biokit."  Says the Sergent to the bagooran sitting behind the desk, walking up to the desk and slapping his hand down.  The bagooran slides his wheeled chair back to one of the lockers behind him and pulls out a small crate then returns and sets it down on the counter.  The bagooran then walks over to what appears to be a heavy safe, puts his hand on a biometric scanner, and then withdraws two  small inhalers.  "As usual, all emergency stimulants are for use against high threat suspects and not for recreational purposes.  Use must be logged and unused stimulants must be returned at the end of watch."  Comes from the bagooran in the absentminded voice of someone that has said that speech ten thousand times.  He then notices you and looks to Lang.  "New guy.  You know the drill new guy."  Responds Lang before the bagooran has a chance to ask the obvious question.