[IC] New Years Festival: Strength Contest

Started by Throndir, December 31, 2013, 11:12:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

2:00:00 PM

The ringing of the bell resounded loudly as the pellet moved up the chute striking the bell above. Another one of the contestants managed to hit the device hard enough which had caused the bell to ring. There were many in line for the simple feat of strength. It consisted of using a large hammer to hit a small pad on the ground, which pumped air into a chute. The harder the pad was hit, the more air was pumped, and thus the higher the pellet would travel upwards.

The idea was easy enough, but it took a lot of strength not to mention hitting the pad at just the right spot to make the bell ring the loudest. It was about to be your turn next. The hammer next to attraction looked heavy, but the heavier it was, the harder the blow!

• To participate roll a strength check!
  • 200 exp for all who participate.
  • All posts will be counted for freeform exp.
  • 1st place = +3 random enchanted hammer weapon, and 10 New Years Competition points. +500 exp
  • 2nd place = +2 random enchanted hammer weapon, and 8 New Years Competition points. +400 exp
  • 3rd place = +1 random enchanted hammer weapon, and 6 New Years Competition points. +300 exp
  • Resolving after I have at least 5 characters.

Throndir

When news of a strength contest reached his ears. Golas was one of the first to rush to the area laughing maniacally as he waded through the crowd.

"Watch out guys!" He grinned as he pulled the warhammer from the side, lifting it high above his head easily.

With that, the large man sped the hammer to the pad, with as much might as he could muster.

Throndir

[spoiler]STRENGTH CHECK
[dice]Rolled 1d20+4 : 10 + 4, total 14[/dice][/spoiler]

Wolfrin Fenris

Wolfrin strode through the streets of the large city, Ternadan a passerby had called it. The city was crowded but he had no trouble making his way, Buddy, his large wolf companion was close at his side, the waist high wolf softly growling at any who drew too near. Normally this would have been his way, distancing himself from the men and other races around him in favor of the open spaces of the wild and the animals he found therein, but not today. Today, he needed information.

Travelling down one side street Wolfrin's eye was caught by a contraption, a large vertical chute attached to what appeared to be an oversized blacksmith's bellows. Down dropped a very large hammer and up went a pellet within the chute, coming to an abrupt stop against a bell stationed above, setting the bell ringing, and then finally falling back into place at the bottom of the chute.

"What kind of device is that? The woodsman thought to himself as he watched another man take up the hammer. Down swung the hammer but this time, the pellet barely made it half way up the chute. Wolfrin began to understand, the result was measured by ones strength and precision when slamming the hammer. The man tending the contraption laughed good naturedly at the contestants' pitiful results, slapped him on the back, and called the next contestant forward.

Wolfrin would have left at this point, but he saw a large and very muscular man with bright red hair approach the contraption next. "Watch out guys!" , the man bellowed before he picked up the large hammer and swung it above his head with ease. Down came the hammer and up rocketed the pellet, crashing into the bell with a resounding ring that was loud even at a good distance away.

He saw the brawny red haired man walk away laughing at his accomplishment as the attendant rubbed his ears in pain. Wolfrin decided he'd like to try his hand at this game, for that is what he assumed it to be. Besides he decided, perhaps he could garner some information from the attendant. No other contestants had yet to approach the contraption by the time Wolfrin made his way up.

The attendant first looked at Buddy, wary of the sharp canines visible in the nearly constant snarl the wolf had adopted since passing through the gate. Then he noticed the woodsman standing so calmly beside the wolf, and, swallowing loudly, mustered his courage saying, "step right up and try your hand!" Wolfrin needed no more encouragement and, planting his feet, took hold of the long handle on the large hammer. All at once and with remarkable speed he brought the hammer up and over his head, the head of the hammer now behind him and almost level with his knees, then snapped his muscles forward, propelling the hammer at an extraordinary speed. His aim was off ever so slightly to the right, but it still connected with the pad rather squarely and up shot the pellet, to a surprising result...

[dice]Rolled 1d20+4 : 1 + 4, total 5[/dice]

After, in speaking with the attendant, he learned that there was an archery contest not a few streets away, that the host of that particular event was a well known shopkeeper here in the city and was always willing to speak with adventurers. Wolfrin thanked the man, and made his way back down the street, following the directions given by the attendant, Buddy once again by his side.

*Edit* I figured it would be either awesome or pitiful so I left "to a surprising result..." Sigh XD
BEEP

Throndir

The knight had already participated in the archery contest, and though she would have liked to stay longer, she figured there was a lot more to the festivals as well. It didn't take her long to catch up with Golas, and after a quick exchange, she found out that there was a strength contest of a sort somewhere in town. Of course with all of Golas' loud laughing it must have been entertaining. Annia couldn't help but see for herself.

There was some sort of contraption, but seeing how the others had pounded the mallet onto the device, it was easy to tell how it worked. Making her way to the stand, and pulling the hammer, she slammed the hammer downwards.

[spoiler][dice]Rolled 1d20+4 : 19 + 4, total 23[/dice][/spoiler]

Mysticsage

Kryas was pushed forward by Golas roughly towards the center pad. He had somehow been roped into joining into the competition against his will by the giant man. Something about seeing how strong the half elf could actually be while laughing the entire time. So now here he stood with a hammer in hand. He was most likely going to make a fool of himself unless there was some form of divine intervention.

Saying a smalll prayer he whispered "Whelp here goes nothing!" raising the hammer over his head he put every ounce of strength he could manage behind the blow hoping it would be enough.

[spoiler][dice]Rolled 1d20 : 14, total 14[/dice] [/spoiler]

Mysticsage

Serena walked up to the plate form next giggling slightly at Kryas' expression from the results as he matched the barbarian before him. Oh the bard tried expertly to disguise his shock with a cocky smirk. But he was an open book to her like very few others.

As she passed him she smiled ruffling his hair slightly as she went. He hated that but seeing that expression again after such a long time reminded her of home. As she got closer to the mechanism a man reached out to hand her the mallet the others had used. She refused him politely with a smile and a shake of her head.

" I prefer something a little simpler." And before he could argue she slammed her fist into the padded lever connected to the machine.

[spoiler]
[dice]Rolled 1d20+1 : 12 + 1, total 13[/dice]
[/spoiler]

Throndir

He had seen her fight. The sword play which was more akin to dancing than anything else. In his hometown festivals were usually always accompanied with dances, and though the festivals in this strange new land were sometimes different, dancing was still often times involved. But never had Nyuko seen dancing as part of any sort of fighting. Needless to say the young nekomimi found that Serena curious.

Nyuko peered out cautiously, still unsure of the humans that populated the city. He had been given some awkward glances, though Nyuko came to realize there were plenty of other different races in the city. He twitched his ears as he watched Serena slam her fists down on a pad.

?A strength contest-nya?? He whispered to himself. He was still having trouble mastering the common language, though, he was a fast learner. He crept up closer to the attraction, until the man standing in charge of it noticed him and proceeded to hand him the mallet.

Nyuko narrowed his eyes, he wasn't quite sure how well he could handle a mallet, but he followed everyone else?s example and slammed the weapon down as hard as he could.

Throndir

[spoiler]Nyuko's strength check
[dice]Rolled 1d20+3 : 19 + 3, total 22[/dice][/spoiler]

Linwelin

Well covered to avoid the sunlight, Vladimir had been wandering around the festival grounds hoping to find anything that could distract him from his discomfort. Why DID I agree to come out here? I'd much rather spend my time indoors. I might even have been able to sneak playing some of Kryas' instruments while he was out. He said I could anyways, but I'd rather play it without an audience...

His thoughts were interrupted when the ding of a bell was heard nearby. He saw that it was a strength competition, and that many of his guildmates were gathered around it. He muttered to himself with a light smile, "Ha, it's been a while. Why not?" He shrugged to himself as he made his way to the contest site.

The man offered him the mallet, which Vlad politely accepted. He wasn't exactly brimming with confidence, and didn't expect to set any records, but he swung with all his might and effort anyways. It definitely reminded him why he DIDN'T battle with hammers, though.

Such odd weight, and no finesse to its use. Yes, I'll definitely still to my blades.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When Kin saw Golas running excitedly, he knew IMMEDIATELY what the goal was, considering the festival.

"STRENGTH CONTEST!" the halfling shouted happily as he darted through the crowd and toward the site. He practically yanked the mallet out of the last contestant's hands when they were done, then ran up and did a big, over-head swing down onto the pad.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Linwelin

[spoiler][dice]Vlad's Strength check:  1d20+3 : 4 + 3, total 7[/dice][/spoiler]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Linwelin

The weight threw Vladimir off a bit, so he didn't quite get the momentum of the swing right. To top it all off it hit off-center. He grimaced and laughed embarrassed. Well, at least it didn't slip out of my hands. He thought to himself, then sighed dejectedly.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Linwelin

[spoiler][dice]Kin's strength check:  1d20+2 : 1 + 2, total 3[/dice][/spoiler]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Linwelin

...Or so he thought would happen. Instead, Kin hit just short of the pad, the face of the mallet hitting solid stone. Unfortunately, due to the use of it so far, the mallet snapped just below the head, bouncing off and plummeting right into the over-excited halfling's face. He fell flat on his backside holding the mallet haft in a stupor, the mallet head resting in his lap. Once he realized what happened, Kin flopped onto his back in the dirt, laughing too hard to speak, gasping for air at his own stupidity.

Luckily the people running the test had some spare mallets, so no real damage was done. Well, except for the halfling's pride.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Throndir

Zultar smashes it.

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 16 + 5, total 21[/blockquote]