[IC] New Years Festival: Archery Contest

Started by Throndir, December 20, 2013, 11:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

1:00:00 PM

"You all probably know me or have met me already, but the name's Fulcrum. I have a weapons shop up in town so come on by. This here is this year's Archery Contest. I'll be the referee and host for the remainder of the day." The man who spoke looked to be a middle-aged human, with a dirtied brown apron, but what was most striking was the lit cigar he held in his mouth. Even as he spoke, the cigar never left its place. He promptly took hold of the cigar and inhaled it.

"If everyone here is ready, I'd like the contestants to line up on that line. No, not that close. Ahh, nope a bit too far... There. Stop. I said STOP." Exasperated the smith inhaled the cigar again, but soon enough the participants were ready. There was a crowd nearby as they watched, cheering on their friends, or if they had known anyone participating.

There would be multiple rounds of the events, so as to give time for those who were participating in different competitions in other areas of the city, but the first batch of archers were ready. Each of them were given a choice of a longbow, shortbow, or crossbow. Some of the more unscrupulous participants had always found ways to magically enhance their aim, but this time more effort was given to keep things fair. This year's event had been made more interesting as a couple of mages were on the sidelines, casting spells to increase and decrease the push and pull of the wind.

"Looks like the wind is rather a frenzy, so choose carefully. Looks like the mages are blowing their winds towards the left. Aim when you're ready. Unleash your projectile when able. Score for the center."

• To participate, you can only use the competition bows and arrows. Choose from a longbow, shortbow, light and heavy crossbows.
  • Pay attention to the direction of where the wind blows as Fulcrum notes.
  • Choose a section of the target board you want to aim for. The sections of the board are the following: N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW.
  • Also choose where you want to aim on the board, the choices are: Yellow, Red, Blue, Black, White.
  • Roll an attack roll with the selected weapon.
  • Rolling a crit means you hit the bullseye.
  • The target has a AC of 5. Any attacks below that misses the target completely.
  • Rolling a natural 1 is always a miss.
  • Any other roll means you hit the target. This means you then roll a 1d40 to decide where the actual arrow lands.
  • How it works: After choosing a section of the board and what color you aim for. The wind will push the projectile a certain distance equal to the strength of the wind. The 1d40 roll afterwards decides on how close or how far away from where it actually hits. The higher the number the closer it is to where the wind pushed the projectile.
  • To account for the fact crossbow threaten criticals at 19-20, while bows only threaten at 20, if you choose a bow, you get a +5 modifier to your 1d40 roll.
  • I'll update this target board with where people's arrow hit.
  • Each participant can shoot 3 arrows/bolts.
  • No buff spells, spell-like abilities, or any other effect that can increase the attack roll modifier except for BAB and feats.
  • All posts will be counted for freeform exp.
  • 200 exp given just for participating.
  • 1st place = +3 random enchanted ranged weapon, and 10 New Years Competition points. +500 exp
  • 2nd place = +2 random enchanted ranged weapon, and 8 New Years Competition points. +400 exp
  • 3rd place = +1 random enchanted ranged weapon, and 6 New Years Competition points. +300 exp
  • Resolving after I have at least 5 characters.

Throndir

QuoteWind strength blowing towards the left
[dice]Rolled 1d100 : 15, total 15[/dice]

Throndir

The light crossbow felt different in her hands. Her only training with them back when she was still studying to be a knight. Kin had given her a new crossbow, but even with the small amount of practicing she had done since the Day of Giving until now, she was still far from being an expert. The wind this time was blowing leftwards, aiming carefully she triggered her crossbow.

[spoiler]Annia will aim at the eastern section of the board, she'll aim for the red stripe.
Attack roll
[dice]Rolled 1d20+4 : 1 + 4, total 5[/dice]

Placement roll
[dice]Rolled 1d40 : 14, total 14[/dice]
[/spoiler]

Throndir

The first bolt missing. She fired two more times.

[spoiler]She'll aim the same area.
[dice]Rolled 1d20+4 : 11 + 4, total 15[/dice]
[dice]Rolled 1d40 : 37, total 37[/dice]
[dice]Rolled 1d20+4 : 9 + 4, total 13[/dice]
[dice]Rolled 1d40 : 34, total 34[/dice][/spoiler]

Throndir

QuoteWind blowing to the right. With a strength of:
[dice]Rolled 1d100 : 64, total 64[/dice]

Mysticsage

Kryas steps up to thhe firing line his short bow in hand. He was practiced at this and hoped to not make a complete fool of himself Placing each arrow to his lips and whispering a short prayer he quickly fires three shoots. The arrows dash from the bow with a audible sound unique to the bards arrows.

[spoiler]Kryas aims for the western side of the blue stripes and then fires at the target three times

[dice]Rolled 1d40+7 : 6 + 7, total 13[/dice]

[dice]Rolled 1d40+7 : 17 + 7, total 24[/dice]

[dice]Rolled 1d40+7 : 36 + 7, total 43[/dice][/spoiler]

[spoiler]Attacks to hit
[dice]Rolled 1d20+7 : 4 + 7, total 11[/dice]

[dice]Rolled 1d20+7 : 16 + 7, total 23[/dice]

[dice]Rolled 1d20+7 : 2 + 7, total 9[/dice]
[/spoiler]

Wolfrin Fenris

Wolfrin stepped up to the designated area, picking up a longbow and feeling it out. It made him slightly uncomfortable not to be using Alanas Memoir, the darkwood bow gifted to him by his mother, but he understood the need for a fair competition.

He was slightly uncomfortable, slightly embarrassed by his last attempt at one of these 'games' and he decided to get it over with before he had too much time to think. He laid out three arrows on the platform beside him within easy reach, took a deep calming breath seeking his concentration and steeling the nerves in his arm. He felt the direction of the wind with the hairs on his arm noting the wind was blowing fairly strongly to the right, and knowing he tended to shoot to the right as it was, decided to aim slightly farther to the left.

Taking one last calming breath, Wolfrin snatched up an arrow, drew, and let fly, repeating this process in rapid succession until all three arrows had been used.

[spoiler]
[dice]Rolled 1d20+3 : 5 + 3, total 8[/dice]
[dice]Rolled 1d20+3 : 12 + 3, total 15[/dice]
[dice]Rolled 1d20+3 : 3 + 3, total 6[/dice]
[dice]Rolled 1d40 : 35, total 35[/dice]
[dice]Rolled 1d40 : 3, total 3[/dice]
[dice]Rolled 1d40 : 8, total 8[/dice]
[/spoiler]
BEEP

Throndir

Callista:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+9 : 13 + 9, total 22[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+9 : 2 + 9, total 11[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+9 : 9 + 9, total 18[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d40+5 : 1 + 5, total 6[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d40+5 : 28 + 5, total 33[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d40+5 : 38 + 5, total 43[/blockquote]

Kain

"Am I too late to join?"

The voice came from over Wolfrin's shoulder as he loosed his final shot. With a start, Wolfrin turned to survey the newcomer, who had approached quietly. She stood eye to eye with the woodsman, her blue eyes shining with amusement at his surprise. The ugly scar running down the side of Swift's face gave her a crooked smile, which she flashed at Wolfrin as she moved past him to stand at the target line. She felt Wolfrin's gaze lingering on her scar as she went but she ignored it. Most people had cause to stare.

"Not a bad go at it man. Let's see if I can beat it."

[spoiler]
First Shot
East. Outer Red Ring
[dice]Rolled 1d20+5 : 17 + 5, total 22[/dice]
[dice]Rolled 1d40 : 21, total 21[/dice][/spoiler]

I write, I draw, and I turn into an eagle during sex.
Also I play Swift and Vanil.

Zultar

Zultar likes bow. He also likes blue. So Zultar aims at the blue to the left.

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+4 : 14 + 4, total 18[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d40+5 : 32 + 5, total 37[/blockquote]

Throndir

[spoiler]Extra rolls for Swift + Zultar

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 20 + 5, total 25[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 11 + 5, total 16[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d40+5 : 33 + 5, total 38[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d40+5 : 31 + 5, total 36[/blockquote]

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+4 : 8 + 4, total 12[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+4 : 11 + 4, total 15[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d40+5 : 34 + 5, total 39[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d40+5 : 36 + 5, total 41[/blockquote]
[/spoiler]

Throndir

Zultar: 30
Kryas: 28
Swift: 28
Callista: 27
Wolfrin: 26
Annia: 20

"It looks like this here's round of contestants are done. Congratulations to Callista scoring reaching third place with 27 points." There was a round of applause as Fulcrum continued. "Kryas and Swift tied for second place. Both will be awarded the second place prize... Finally..." There was a silence as Fulcrum continued.

"-Finally, Zultar, the short half-orc, earning first place!"

QuoteRewards
Zultar: Longbow of Speed +3 (1d8, extra attack when making a full-attack, does not stack with haste)
Kryas: Unholy Sling +2 (1d4, evil weapon, extra 2d6 to good creatures, one permanent negative level on good creature attempting to wield, negative level disappears when not in hand)
Swift: Longbow of Flaming Burst +2 (1d8, extra 1d6 fire damage, extra 1d10 fire damage if crit)
Callista: Light Crossbow of Limning +1 (1d4, any creature affected by magical concealment, when struck by this weapon, creature is outline in faerie fire for 1 round)

Throndir

QuoteRP Rewards
Best Post: Wolfrin
Best Overall Roleplayer: Wolfrin
Most Improvement: Kain
Most Character Development: Kain