A Curse Disguised as a Blessing

Started by Linwelin, November 13, 2013, 09:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Annia Siadon

The sword Jin held hummed, speaking to him telepathically while Vladimir still held the weapon. Ultimately the choice is yours. But know that if it comes down to it, you have allies.

As Jin realized that Vladimir had begun to offer him back to Annia, the sword imparted one last thought to his wielder. It was of thanks and gratitude with splashes of warmth, but most importantly there was respect and acknowledgement.

"Vladimir... Thank you." Annia said, her voice strangely quiet. She wanted to say more, but she had her eyes locked on the katana. Slowly she began to pick herself up from her sitting position. And it was then that a hesitant Annia approached Vladimir, her face full of confusion. Almost out of habit she accepted the offered sword, gently landing into her open hands.

Upon contact, immediately she felt Jin's presence in the weapon. Though her mentor chose not to say anything, perhaps sensing the amount of confusion that plagued Annia. As she ignored the heavy pains her body suffered and the slow and seemingly heavy movements, the knight proceeded to hold the sword in front of her.

"Jin, come out." Annia pleaded, and though she knew Jin would be able to hear her even if she kept to her thoughts, too bewildered was she that she resorted to verbally saying it out loud. Her voice was somewhat on edge and had a tint of worry. Yet there was no response from the katana, and even though Annia clearly felt his presence and even though Annia attempted to will him into being, the sword didn't respond.

"I saw you Jin. Not that shadow that you always appear, but actually you. Please come out!" Annia insisted again, almost shaking the weapon. She paused for a moment to attempt to steady her rapidly increasing breathing.

"Please."

But there was nothing. Nothing but the quiet whisper of the wind blowing through the grassy fields. She was greeted with silence and Annia began trying to wrack her mind for answers.

She moved her gaze towards Vladimir, confusion still written plainly on her face.
Better a truth to be told openly, than lies spun to mask it.

Linwelin

Vladimir took Jin's final remark to heart. He'd spent decades wandering and being tossed between homes. Having been forced to confront his past had worn on him greatly, and rest was needed for both his body and mind. What did he really have to lose? He'd run from the discrimination of his condition long enough, and it was about time he tried for a change of pace.

But that wasn't the problem here.

He'd be dragging his own problems into the guild, giving a well-liked establishment a bad name. Housing undead wasn't exactly smiled upon anywhere/. And yet here he had a paladin, from that very establishment, before him A paladin who he was offering a sword, in mutual thanks. And her facade showed the same confused emotion that he himself felt, but for completely separate reasons. She'd just seen Jin...differently; seen her ally like never before. He stood silently and watched her as she begged for him to reappear. To confirm his existence. Vladimir had already settled the bulk of his demons; it was his turn to be supportive.

It was when she turned to him that he realized how lost she was. "Annia...while Jin and I worked together to save you, he told me. How he usually looked, and how different he felt this time. We determined it was due to my desperation. I had nearly killed myself summoning him that way." He paused a moment, searching Annia's face for reaction. For guidance in what he was saying. "But I assure you, he is still the same. Both the Jin you saw now and the one you know are the same being. As for how, I have no answers. All I can say is we did our absolute best to bring you back safely. I don't know why he won't appear now. Perhaps out of confusion himself. He was just as surprised by his new form."
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Annia Siadon

The knight's eyes softened, though it was still plain to see that she was still worried.

"I need to know how it happened. He has always spoken telepathically; a voice in your head. But I heard him too! It didn't occur to me until I saw him physically that I had been hearing his voice. He was here, more than just a shadow." With that Annia focused her thoughts back to the katana she held.

"Jin, tell me what happened." Her words were sincere. Yet there was still silence. A few more moments passed and eventually Jin's presence eventually flooded her mind.

It wasn't my intention for you to see me in that form, knowing that you'll act like this. Jin said resignedly. I know what you want. With that Jin started to leech the energies requires from his wielder. Annia noticing this gave in, welcoming the intrusion even though she was visibly weakening. The knight was already tired, her strength all but gone, but Jin complied, drawing just enough to manifest his physical form but no more. The black form started to appear once again, like tendrils from the katana they would twist and conjoin creating a figure akin to a silhouette of a man, though missing many details, and looking to be more of a glob of darkness.

Annia's shoulders drooped from exhaustion, though she managed to keep herself up. Her eyes were haggard and weary, but she kept silent as she stared at Jin's dark form. It was familiar to her; it was a form she recognized to be her mentor and friend.

"When we locked eyes, I saw it then Jin. You looked happy, content even. It was because you looked to be more human, was it not? You've always told me stories of your past, and I could tell you were a proud man. You miss it, don't you?" Annia asked, her voice in a crescendo at the end, driving her last words deep.

There was no response from Jin then, and looked to be more an acceptance of the statement rather than anything else.

Annia gripped the katana's handle, and with blade pointed down, she locked eyes with Vladimir.

"Take him."

Linwelin

"I refuse." Vladimir says, without missing a beat. His eyes were stern, but compassionate at this moment. "I have only known either of you for a day or so, but have already recognized you to both be proud warriors. You're overlooking something about what I accomplished; I nearly died. You should not envy me, instead, I envy you. Your self control, and mutual understanding with your partner is a beautiful quality. Offering him to me only shows me your weakness, and wounds my respect for you." Vladimir steps forward, presses his palm to Annia's sword-gripping fist and pushes it back toward her.

Vladimir knew exactly the feeling she felt. He'd cast aside comrades in the past so that they might be happier, or because he felt that he clashed with them. But this past night he'd learned more about himself, companionship and life than he'd ever hoped. Annia had a good heart, but her fatigue and confusion was causing her to misplace it like he had many times before.

"Where is the your warrior's spirit that Jin spoke so fondly of? You say I am better suited, but why not simply resolve yourself to improving your compatibility with Jin? The only reason I was able to do so much was because he and I are very similar, and I risked my life to accomplish that feat. All you need to do is truly get to know your partner. You may know him, but you have yet to understand Jin if you think this offer would make him happy."

Vladimir looked the paladin straight in the eye, smiling knowingly. "The Annia I met two nights ago did not seem the type to throw away her friends in moments of weakness. Was I wrong in thinking that?"
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Annia Siadon

Her eyes had been steady at first when Vladimir began his response, but as he continued to speak, her eyes continued to soften. Vladimir's words were true, and struck her deeply in a way that she didn't think was possible. She didn't quite know how to respond. The ache of her body, and the mental stress from the ordeal that she had been through had taken a toll on her. Compounded atop it, was what she felt. She blindly believed Jin would be happier if he had his own form without her as his wielder. She felt as if she was holding him back, and what right did she have to get into the way of something that made Jin happy? He had spent a lifetime as a shade-like creature, even if it was just a false projection, Annia saw the wonder herself in Jin's eyes.

But reflecting on Vladimir's words showed her that she was indeed missing something key. Wordlessly, she knelt down, closing her eyes and held the blade in her hands. She felt tears from her eyes, but began to calm her breathing. Just as Vladimir's words foretold, she very well knew that she was in her moment of weakness. Ever had she been to hold her own emotions, but the reality of it all of how Vladimir matched Jin so much more was hard for Annia to shake. She felt the comforting presence of her mentor then, but he chose not to say anything, only emit the warmth that Annia had been accustomed to. She knew she was wrong, a friend wouldn't give up another friend so easily.

"It was I who made a mistake..." Annia replied back, it seemed as if there was more to say, but the knight remained silent.

Linwelin

"To be blunt, I'm glad you were wrong." Vladimir said with a smile. "You're a good person, Annia. And a fine warrior. I know not of paladinly duties, but your spirit and code is something I respect." The methuselan offered her a hand. "It's been a long night. Let's get you home."

Though he was standing and talking calmly, Vladimir himself was quite weary. Perhaps he would make the hall him home for one more night. If they'll have him. After all, at least 6 individuals now knew he was vampiric. Whether they allowed him to stay after learning this was the issue. At least he had two who would vouch for him.

All he could hope is that they did not spread the news of his condition. For all he knew, there could be an angry mob waiting to oust him back in Ternadan. It wouldn't be the first time.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Annia Siadon

As she sheathed the sword back into her scabbard, the knight took the proffered hand without a second thought, as she used it to hoist herself up. When she did so, she realized her joints were still lethargic. When she moved she felt small tinges of pain shoot up legs, like before she ignored them however as she forced herself up. Soon enough she was standing beside the methuselan. Her body still felt stiff, and she knew it would be a few days rest until she was back to normal. Using Vladimir as a support she looked on towards the distance.

The city of Ternadan was still visible in the morning light. The sunrise giving an almost warm glow to the scene. It was her home, and specifically the guild that made its home there. She smiled warmly both to herself and Vladimir.

"Let us then." Her words were curt, but her voice was full of relief.

"Towards home."

Linwelin

By the time the warriors actually made their return home, the sun was well into the morning sky, which estimated around an hour had passed. As the townsfolk were unaware of the events of the past few days, and never seen Vladimir before, they cast worried and confused looks while Annia was helped back to the guild. Passersby could be heard whispering all around them, some cries of surprise at Annia's poor shape, others about the stranger beside her. Overall it was prayers for well being, though, as Annia had enough reputation to be beloved by Ternadan's citizens. After a short while of walking into town, one of the merchants passing through with a horse-drawn cart stopped beside them.

"You two're lookin' worse fer wear...I'm early, hop on. I'll take ya where ya need ta be." He said frankly. At their look of surprise, he defended himself. "Whaaat? I can hear the comments too, ya know. You've probably come back from one hell of a fight. Least I could do is this."

"Thank you sir, it's much appreciated. We're headed to the Guild of Galas'nor at the end of this main thoroughfare." Vladimir stated graciously, helping Annia into the cart before getting in himself. Small cheers of thanks could be heard nearby.

"Yooou got it!" The merchant says, whipping the reigns to get the cart moving home. After a short while, the duo finally reach the gates of the guild hall once more. Vladimir takes the time to thank the merchant once more before approaching the hall with Annia.

"Finally back." Vladimir mutters audibly, approaching the hall door.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Annia Siadon

The knight waved towards the citizens that approached them. She was touched by the concern of those few passersby who noticed her condition. Not only that, she nodded her head in confidence and reassured those who looked questioningly at the pale figure beside her. She didn't try hiding the fact that she was injured, and with how she was feeling, she knew she wasn't in much of a position to try in the first place.

When they finally reached the large guild hall doors, both Annia and Vladimir had begun to open it. Annia recognized a familiar face the moment she staggered in.

"Kryas!" Annia began. Her outburst made her stumble, but she quickly regained her footing as she used Vladimir as a support. It was at that moment that some of the guild clerics started making their way towards them. One particularly quiet dwarven monk leading the group of healers. It looked as if Annia had wanted to say something, but instead all she did was lock her eyes on the bard. She wanted to tell him about Vladimir's rescue attempt, at infiltrating the lair of evil by himself, as well as his bravery and stalwart sense of character. But instead, she smiled as if to say that she was alright, and slowly, but meaningfully, moved to glance at Vladimir.

The clerics took her away then, despite her small attempts at arguing, she knew that it was for her own good. As far as other guild members were concerned, the paladin trusted that Kryas, among all the others, would understand. As the healers started to cast their spells to make her fall asleep and thus recover faster, she thought about their guild's resident bard.

She knew that Vladimir would be in good hands.

Linwelin

Vladimir carefully hands Annia into the clerics' hands as they approached him, her smile reassuring him that she would be alright from here. With that comfort, he turned his attention to his bard friend, who now was looking at him quizzically. "I took your hint and ran with it. They didn't see me coming. Managed to save a large number of townsfolk that were being secretly held there as well. Though now a large number of people, including in the guild, know of my 'condition'. I'm positive that my past will manage to catch up with me now, and it will most likely end up getting everyone in Ternadan involved. Vladimir paused to let that small, but important amount of information to sink in. "Thus, I plan to leave. I know it's only been a couple days, but I truly have enjoyed myself here. And that's exactly why I don't wish to cause you trouble by bringing my personal problems to your doorstep. He clasps Kryas on the shoulder. "Thank you for everything."

He starts to head toward the living quarters, "I won't head out until some time tomorrow, though. After such a hectic evening, I need some rest." He waved in a fatigued manner as he walked, never really describing what happened the night before.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Mysticsage

Kryas did not even have a chance to respond before the vampire had taken his leave. He tried to reach a handout and stop him to say something that would instill a sense of pride for the good work he had done, but all the fancy words and platitudes simply turned to dust in his mouth.  Empty words alone would do nothing to fill the cavernous hole in the traveler's heart he knew that all too well.The only thing that would help him now was to prove his worth with actions that even he could not ignore. He could not help but grin predatorily; he had been spending the day since Vlad left on his little crusade to convince the rest of the guild to approve his joining and he was not going to let that kind of work go to waste. No matter what anyone including Vlad had to say about the matter. Kryas had made up his mind and when that happened even the gods would learn to be afraid.

Leaning down and patting Annia on the shoulder he brushed a stray hair from her face. "Just leave everything to me from here." So, for the time being, he would have to put the full song and dance number with chorus line on hold for the moment and get to work at what he the spin that he was so proud of. Making sure that they needed anything else he headed back out into the light of day to begin his work. He would need to spread a spider's web of rumors and do so fast if he hoped to be done before his new methusilian plaything was to wake from his nap. He preferred to take his time to make sure the narrative played well and that there were no glaring errors, but hell he had worked faster and with less. Plus, when all of life is a stage the line between audience and actor was nonexistent and with enough glitz and glamor even a monster can be made to be the hero with little trouble. Especially with some help, he could make quite a number of dreams a reality.

So with the aid of the enclave who were more than happy to take up the routes laid by the necromancers for their own less than legal needs they went about their work of putting on a show. Being a chronicler of stories it took little work to create a believable character for the vampire to inhabit. With a history that tied him to an of household that the bard had been using as a shell organization for his various goods. Giving him some element of lesser noble blood made things like reclusion and a pallor of skin easy to pass off. Some second son finally comes home to claim a title that until his elder brother died of fever he never thought would be his. Went off to make a name for himself as an adventure as all brash young men with talent dreamed.

This would be the duke, now uncomfortable with the title and estate he joined the guild to spend his time and keep active. All it took to make true was a few signatures coin in the right pockets and making a clerk at the Royal Archives blush before spilling his papers while searching through the stacks to sneak things like birth and death certificates into the record. But all the good writing in the world about a widower heir who wanted to be a bulwark for the common people meant nothing if there was no one to read it. Luckily, Vladimir's escapades had set the groundwork for the narrative already. The young hot-blooded noble girls and boys who were quick to bravado and even quicker to envy.

All that was required was a few whispered words between sips of drink. Questions if the rumors were true of a new interest with just the right kind of breeding and talent who saved souls and slew hidden demons that always puts those brats on edge that they might lose the power and favor they cling to but never had in the first place. They would take it upon themselves to grow the rumors with each other like buzzards circling over a corpse.

Forgetting all the while where these stories were coming from themselves and the commoner's new hero. The survivor's stories fans by a few bardic tavern songs would get them into a frenzy. Whipping themselves into such a craze that they would have to check if even half of what was said was true. The paperwork placed in the archive and more so what was missing from the archive would only cement their fears as fact. Mix that turmoil together and Kryas would have a self-perpetuating story where people would add their own false memories of a man they did not know just to be a part of the moment. An organic lie always has its way of coming around to the truth. By the time night rolled around let alone a few days from now Vladimir would be unable to simply leave without a gaggle of dreamers weeping his name.

One set of masterly crafted documents and a few good bar tunes later and things were already out of Kryas' hands. New gossip already reaching his ears of a handsome but eccentric noble son. Laughing at how quick the city moved he would leave the vampire's own nobility to shape the story from here. The bard could keep the worst of the ladies and nobles off him but there would only be so much he could do good deeds never went unpunished after all. He walked into the guild hall just around dusk when he imagined the two spelunkers had recovered more. He went to go check on his paladin friend in the clerical ward grinning like a loon. Sitting down on a stool next to her bed, "Well, Annia I may have done something truly evil. But, I did what I had to in order to make people ask fewer questions about the whole thing. I think you'll be rather proud of what I and Rosa pulled off in one night."

Annia Siadon

There were no dreams or thoughts when the clerics had placed her in an induced sleep. For most of that morning and the day she was sound asleep. The most serious of wounds and conditions were cured with prayers and divine magic within the first hour, the rest however, was still something her body had to take care of.

After that initial ordeal, a quiet dwarven cleric would visit occasionally just to check on her sleeping form. Once she had woken, it was that same cleric who handed her what looked to be a list of things that was cured. The underground cult had begun various techniques of draining her blood, injecting her with various chemicals and compounds, along with various markings across her body that only looked to be surgical markers. When the knight had read through the list, she couldn't help but shiver.

She had been laying in bed, reading a book titled Milliana Jones: Kingdom of the Golden Skull when Kryas had come in with a wide grin.

"And what did you do?" Annia asked, though she had an idea. She at least had heard bits and pieces of conversations from the nurses and clerics.

Mysticsage

"I may have followed what I assumed to be your will before you past out. In regards with helping our new friend out of his trouble," his grin seemed to get that devilish cat like quality. "Only with my utmost skill, attention to detail, and my usual panache of course." That last part usually meant even more trouble for the intended target of a patricular variety that the bard seemed to be a master of. It was like asking for his help was like making a bargain with the fey. He always gave you what you needed, but at the same time got more out of the deal then anyone else. Setting people's lives to his own unique beats whether they knew it or not.

"I think poor Vlad or should I say our dear duke of house Arland  is getting quite a good deal. Though he might find me a worse deal maker then even his previous employer!" He cackled "Now no spoiling the surprise like I know you would. Let me at least see the look on his face when he finds out on his own. The shock alone might force him back to human again alone." Just the thought of him being challenged to an honor duel for some girl or forced into a party where everyone was vying to be known as a childhood friend was enough to make him gritty even if such spectacles wood take a while to start appearing. My how this town did love it's gossip