A Bard's Flute

Started by Throndir, December 17, 2012, 08:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

It was just breaking the end of sunset. Already the hue of the skies were losing their red and purple tint, being replaced by the darker and more light-less skies of the night. Only half an hour ago were the skies such a sight to behold, and though they were still, in some sense, beautiful to look at, the wonderment was not as fully realized.

Annia walked the streets glancing back and forth. Her golden armor, though a sight to behold in direct sunlight, was still something almost majestic in the dim light. She had two sets of swords with, one was a katana strapped to her side, and the other was a greatsword which hung from her back. But the most peculiar thing about her was the emblem displayed on the front of her chest. It was the symbol of the Guild of Galas'nor, an adventuring guild of some renown.

The knight wasn't there for any particular mission, rather, at the insistence of her mentor, did she decide to venture to the port city. It was the next closest town from the large bustling city of Ternadan, and though it wasn't as large or as busy, the port city of Gelon, being the main shipyard that had commerce routes across the other lands, it was still a sizable city. One thing Annia noted however, was the more unkempt and dirty look and feel of the city. Ternadan, save for some districts, was usually kept in a clean orderliness. Yet here in Gelon there were overturned cans of garbage, broken tiles, and as Annia looked at the sad-shape of some of the buildings, likely many empty homes as well.

Not what I expected, the ports of my homeland were more... majestic. A male voice spoke to her. It was Jin, her mentor, which also happened to be the spirit-like being that lived within her katana.

Perhaps next you'd like to see the volcano Hersh or maybe even the swamps of Orcen? Annia replied dryly. Though, in jest, she knew her mentor was at time curious as her, but most of it came from comparing his own homeland to Annia's.

I'll take you on that offer someday. Jin said as he chuckled warmly a moment after. This place was rough too wasn't it?

Yes so I heard.

And apparently busy. And it was true, there were many people busily going about their business in a hurriedly fashion. There were more than a couple of of individuals who had bumped into her, but eventually Annia had made her way out of the throng. The took to exploring the city, Annia moving out of the way of people as they walked on by. Her mentor wanted to see the rest of the town, and though there was a lot of ground to cover, Annia happily obeyed. Soon enough she found herself in a shabbier part of the town. Staring a ta couple of worn-down homes wondering when her mentor Jin would be satisfied with the sights.

katherine.lalaine

Gael had just finished transferring luggage from the ship that had just docked the port to the place where the owner of the luggage will be to stay. That, and other forms of small services, is what makes him make ends meet. The owner had paid him an agreed price for doing him the service. Dusk was starting to envelope the city and being here at Gelon for one month already, Gael was starting to get used to put up with the city?s not-so-good reputation as regards peace and order, especially in the shabbier parts of the town.

The first week he was at the city, there was never a night that he never got a bruised eye as he, soon enough, realized that there are a lot of denizens who seemed to love beating the lights out of the newcomers of the city. He also experienced being robbed by some ruffians some of the most important things his adoptive father, Pierr, gave him: an amulet with a crescent moon-shaped pendant, one of his two flutes, and a dagger. That was kind of sad as all of those were personally forged and given as a gift to him by none other than Pierr himself, but it could not be helped now. Now, he wondered how he ever ended up in Gelon.

Gael had been hearing all sorts of crimes happening in this port city even before deciding to come here. Gelon being a port city was where all kinds of traders flock together to do business, be it legal or illegal. It served as a hub for many cities, towns and even islets surrounding it. Now, he remembered there were rumors of the bandits who had murdered his parents being here. It was the main reason he was here, to take his chances of ever encountering them again and take his revenge at last.

He had, through an unfortunate stroke of fate, made some friends with some people here too, a small family living in the shabbier area of the city where criminal activities are not so uncommon. It was that one night that he was robbed by the ruffians and left to die on the side of the pathway. He was cringing in pain from all the bruises that he had reluctantly received from the robbers when two prepubescent boys found him and took him to their home. They were brothers. Gael was taken care of by the kind family. He was in a very bad shape at that time. He was under the care of the family until he had finally recovered; and, finding out his history, the family had more than welcomed him to stay at their home for as long as he wanted to stay in Gelon.

While on his way home, Gael was thinking excitedly about the dinner Dritha will be preparing for the family now. ?Why was I even thinking about it? Of course, it?s always a good one,? he thought enthusiastically. Clearly, he had come to develop a good relationship with the family.

Throndir

The bench was welcoming and appealing as the paladin made her way through the various homes and houses. It wasn't a well-off district, as many of the homes looked like they were in disrepair, yet people lived in them anyways. At Jin's insistence, Annia took the wandering slowly, seeing the sights and occasionally greeting the passersby as they neared. Annia didn't really have any specific destination to go to, though seeing the sights with her mentor and exploring the city did satiate some of her curiosity of the port city. In the end however, everyone had to rest, and as the wooden bench appeared, the knight headed straight towards it, meaning to finally rest her weary legs.

They aren't that tired are they? Jin said, a hint of teasing in his voice.

You already know my thoughts and what I'm feeling, so of course they're tired. Annia responded, stressing of course. Jin left it at that however, and eventually Annia sat down. Only after she relaxed did she notice that she was hungry, as if in reply and promptly on cue her stomach growled.

katherine.lalaine

?If you would please, my pay is not yet due till the fortnight. I will immediately give you what is due to you as soon as I get it,? said Morden, worry in his voice.

?That will not do, Morden. You?ve already told me that you will give it to me today. Now, give me what I ask of you while I?m still in good mood or you?ll be very sorry you didn?t heed me,? answered one man in a deep throaty voice. His voice reminded Gael of a sick toad.

?I?m sorry, but my son had just been sick and I have spent the money to tend to him,? Morden replied pleadingly to which the man responded, ?That is not my concern.?

Gael slowly went to the corner of the wall and took a peek at what?s happening. He saw that the man who just spoke is in front of Morden facing the wall, flanked with two other beefy men, both his hands flat on the wall just above Morden?s head, and Morden leaning on the wall, looking down and cringing in fear of the man in front of him. Gael suddenly thought that Morden has never told him about this matter, thinking maybe he could have helped him about it.

The man, who seemed to be the leader of the group, leaned a little forward, gazed fiercely at Morden?s eyes and placed his hand under Morden?s chin, thrusting it a little to face him; then he croaked up, ?Fortnight it is then. I shall return on that night and collect what is rightfully mine. Or suffer the consequences.? With that, he summoned his minions to leave with him and all of them walked away. Morden, having escaped the man?s clutches at the moment, slid downward in a sitting position, relieved. He then cupped his face with both of his palms. That?s when Gael decided to approach him.

Throndir

The knight had watched with passing interest at the bustle of the town in these parts of the city. Most of them were wary, as if these parts of town meant trouble, but like before there was still enough people bustling about to give the impression that the town was indeed busy. But there was something strange going on, she would notice a variety of grim-looking individuals opening doors, going in them, then going back out, only to go to the next neighbor's home. At first she thought they must have been some door-to-door solicitors, but she couldn't help but notice the cudgels and clubs on their sides.

They could have been some police force of the city, but that was unlikely too, as their clothes had no semblance of matching or any order. It was as if they just took whatever ragged shirts they could find and wear them.

What do you think Jin? Annia asked her mentor. Her mentor was silent for a moment as if he were considering the situation, until he finally spoke.

It wouldn't hurt to venture forward - let's see if this port city of Gelon had any intrigue! If he and his face had been visible, Annia would have expected a wide grin from the spirit. She nodded, stretched her arms once more, then made her way to the homes, making her way first to the last house the rugged individuals went into.

katherine.lalaine

Gael sat beside Morden. He put his left hand on Morden's right shoulder. And then finally he spoke, "What's going on?"

Morden then narrated how it led to this situation. He told Gael about the gang of men who exploits the citizens of Gelon by letting them borrow money at a very high interest rate.
Of course, the citizens were well aware that it's definitely not advisable for them to borrow from this group, but considering most of them are not really well off because economy in the city itself was not thriving due to corruption and other illegal activities, most of the time it leaves them no choice but to turn to this group. They do this to make ends meet.

Morden and his family were one of those families who experiences the same predicament.
Morden earns his family's keep selling fruits and vegetables in the port's market,
while his wife, Dritha, makes rugs to sell in the port's sidewalk. With their combined income, it's just barely enough to cover for the family's needs. So when one of Morden's twins, Raul, got sick with a serious ailment, he had decided to turn to the gang to be able to
have his son be treated by a doctor.

"How much do you owe them, though?" asked Gael.

"A lot... a lot than I could come up with in a fortnight's time," Morden replied, looking down on the cobbled floor. "I don't know what they'll do if I can't pay them on time. You sure have seen how crime-infested this port city is. You had experienced it firsthand when you first set foot here. I am not sure if they had anything to do with the crimes, but it worries me. I would have to think of other ways to earn more money. I'm sorry to bother you with this. I didn't want you to get involved. These men, they're violent, you know," he continued.
He let out a big sigh, looking weighed inside.

Gael thought better and did not ask further. It was true, what Morden had said about this city although he can't be sure about the men as he hadn't encountered them before.
"I can't let you deal with this alone, not after what your family has done for me. I could have died right there and then when your twins have found me. I was really mangled there I could have just as well borrowed a face from a dog. It's not a little thing to dismiss. You are like family to me now. We'll find a way. We'll just have to have faith and do what we should do," Gael said to Morden, smiling a little to him.

There was a short pause and then Gael looked up at the sky, a longing look in his eyes.
"You remind me of my father, Pierr," he said rhetorically.

"I'll help you with saving up as best as I can. It will be alright," Gael spoke, more cheerfully now, as he somehow wanted to lighten up the atmosphere.

"Thank you, Gael. I appreciate it," Morden replied.

In the meantime, several houses from them, screams can be heard inside a house which looked to have been boarded up from the outside.

Throndir

From what was first curiosity and concern changed into alarm as the screams resounded from the home. It was a high-pitch yell of a woman, followed shortly by what sounded like cries from someone younger. Her heart pounding in her chest, she mentally prepared herself for the encounter. Even Jin who exuded a feeling of wonder and adventure just moments before seemed to sober as the screams filled with terror resounded out from the home. When the knight pulled her greatsword from her back, Jin nodded in grim approval. Not that Annia planned to use her weapon, but it served as a deterrent just in case there was something unexpected that waited for them. Likewise, Annia would have preferred to be ready with her weapon drawn rather than caught in surprise. If it came to blows, Annia would be ready.

Closing the gap to the home, she clutched her weapon tightly. The door had been left ajar, and didn't take Annia much effort to push the portal open. It was a small house; the entrance to the home leading straight to living room and kitchen. It was there that Annia saw the cause of commotion. Three large men stood over the family. One held a wicked sword which was already dripping in blood. That man had it pointed towards another, supposedly the husband of the family, who lay in a pool of his own blood. He laughed and croaked in his deep and throaty voice.

"I told you not to delay your payments. Now look what you've done! Leaving your family all alone... It looks like we'll have to take care of them for you." The two men beside him laughed lewdly. The man on the floor stirred, which stopped the momentary mirth from the trio.

"Kill 'im boss!" One said as he kicked the bleeding man.

"Stay your blade scoundrel!" Annia bellowed as she leveled her sword towards the trio, likewise taking their attention and stopping their further actions. "Leave them alone." She continued icily as she carefully examined the brutes in front of her.

katherine.lalaine

?Let?s go inside. It?s getting colder here. They?re waiting for you,? Gael said as he helped up Morden to his feet. Morden?s face was still ashen from the shock that he received. Gael was not used to seeing him like this as he was always jovial and a jester, always smiling and just helpful to everybody. At the table every meal, Morden was the life of the party. He loves telling stories and citing poems of his own creation to his family. When he?s storytelling, one would feel that he?s in the scene himself as he narrates very detailed and vivid and sometimes re-enacts the scenes for them, too, roleplaying with just himself for all the characters in the scene. Seeing him looking frail like this, Gael thought he wanted to protect the family as much as he could.

They entered the house and saw Dritha and her two sons, Raul and Reian, cringing in the corner behind the table. When the brutes arrived, Morden quickly ordered his wife to take the kids and hide wherever they could and let him handle things as he worried what the men would do to them if they were seen. Morden would never risk that. They?d have to pass over his dead body before they can even get near his family.

Morden went to Dritha and their sons and on impulse hugged all of them. ?It?s okay now; they?re gone,? he told them and hugged them even tightly. Dritha, tears falling profusely from her eyes, cried out, ?Oh, I am so worried about you! What should we do now? When are they coming back?? ?I had bought us some more time; on the fortnight. It?s a miracle that they had agreed. Thank the gods the odds are still with us, my dear. I thought for a moment I would never see you and our sons again. Please stop crying. I?m still here,? Morden said and then he let go, looked at Dritha and wiped her tears away.

Gael was feeling glad seeing all this. He wished he had a loving family like Morden?s. He suddenly remembered the vague memory of the warm feeling when his mother was holding him as a baby in her arms, looking sweetly at him. It was all good. It was like a dream, a blurred vision that?s he?s not even sure if it really happened. It was the only discernible memory he had of his mother, and there were times that this has gotten him through the hard times he had in the past. Just remembering it kept him on his feet. But as he remembered this, an ill feeling suddenly rose up within him, like the quick pain a sting of a bee causes, and it killed the warmth of his mother?s love. Anger? Anger against his parents? killer. He wanted to get back at them. All those years growing up through Pierr?s care, he had never forgotten that thought. It haunted him. He had always held on to his grudge for those that took his family away from him. He had been preparing himself for the faceoff since the day he was able to grasp fully the gravity of what had happened to him on that fateful night that changed the course of his life.
But his train of thought was cut short when suddenly his belly started grumbling loudly, which made him cringe and clutch it with both his hands. ?Oops, pardon me!? he said in a low voice to Morden and his family as if he had done something wrong to them, his eyebrows knitted together. To his surprise, they were all looking blankly at him, jaws dropped. And not long after they all burst out laughing happily at the icy seriousness of the moment that was broken by one silly churning sound.

?Gather ?round the table, ye guys. It almost escaped my mind I was preparing for dinner when the thugs came,? Dritha was saying while busying herself putting the plates in place on the table. They all sat and ate happily while talking about things that happened during the day, mostly the good ones, as if nothing had really happened just minutes earlier. Morden was back to his storytelling mode; the children listening intently and laughing out loud at his funny antics.

After eating, Gael decided to take a short walk around, by himself. He had always enjoyed walking. It helps him clear his mind and relax a bit from all the day?s hard work aside from the health benefits it could give him. Wherever he ends up staying, he has never changed this habit of taking a short walk at any time of the day, regardless of how the place was. He had never been afraid; ?Life is a big adventure,? he used to say to himself. And so out he went, observing anything that he comes across with. There were two women bickering at each other, a cat fight. He also came across lots of small rugged-looking children running around one of the houses. He can really see how poor this part of the town was. Streets not kept well and houses not really a sight to behold. Pathways are dusty and rocky; most are dirt paths. There was a stink that permeates the place when you first get here but you get used to after quite some time of being exposed to it. He never bothered figuring out where it comes from or what causes it. Most of the people living here who were able to work do so at the port where the money is flowing. After several houses he passed by, he heard a woman bellow from one of the houses. The only word he caught from what was said was ?scoundrel.? It was said quickly so he didn?t get the whole sentence, but gut told him there?s something wrong happening, what with that tone of voice from a woman. So instead of just passing by, he had resolved to go to the house and maybe observe and have a peek.

He then noticed that the front door was open and so he stuck his head in to see?as curiosity got the best of him?only to find out the three brutes he had encountered with barely an hour ago who were madly eyeing a woman clad in metal armour and holding a sword levelled in front of them. For a moment, Gael thought the sword the woman was holding was the most beautiful sword he?d ever seen in his life, then quickly shook his head and thought, ?This is not the time to admire awesome sword craftsmanship, Gael.? There was a man lying on the floor in his own pool of blood between the men and the woman. Another woman, whimpering incessantly, was crouched on the corner beside the man. She was embracing a boy which looked to be just 3 years old.
One of the three men turned to look at Gael and his eyes instantaneously grew wider.

Throndir

"Leave them alone? Leave them alone?" The deep throaty-voiced man replied. His voice was filled with sarcasm as he continued his tirade. "And what can a woman and kid do about it? He said mockingly. The two grunts around the man chuckled and laughed, amused at the verbal insults their boss was throwing against their potential foe.

"Don't be thinkin' we don't be a-seeing you boy! Hidin' back there like some sort-a thief!" One of the henchmen called out.

"That's our job. Yup!" The other grunt said moments after. This was met with approval from their leader who only nodded slowly and appreciatively.

Since Annia had her back towards the door of the home, she did not see the approach of the boy who sneaked from behind. Slowly, keeping her eyes on her targets she made a quick glance behind her. It lasted only a moment as she did not want to move her attention away from the brutes. But like they said, there was indeed a boy. Her eyes locked with the boy for just a moment until she turned back around to give the brutes her attention.

"It's not safe here boy." Annia said simply as she continued her locked stance against the trio.

"Oh let the kid stay." The leader positioned his curved blade again which still dripped in blood. "We'll have two women and two boys to play with after all." This was met with a chuckle from the two grunts around him, as they themselves drew their own curved blades from the sheathes on their side.

katherine.lalaine

As quickly as the two grunts unsheathed their own blades was Gael's slight of hands in using his blow dart guns which he had been keeping hanging on his side. He had been quite adept in using it through a lot of practice he had in a forest nearby where there's a lot of targets to practice on and the Dendrobate frogs where he gets the poison to equip the blow darts with.

He targeted the necks of the brutes and they simultaneously fell down slowly in just a matter of seconds still clutching their own necks, making them drop their blades on the floor, the clang of the blades reverberating in the room. "Aaakkkh!" which was cut short when frothy foams started forming in their mouths. "What did you do, you runt!?" the throaty-voiced man yelled, glancing quickly at his two minions twitching on the floor. He swished his blade  a few times without taking away his look at the armored woman.

The man stepped a few sideways toward the wife and the child of the man lying on the floor and pulled the woman by her arms with such force the sleeve of her dress ripped on the underarm seam. She didn't let go of her child who now had started wailing loud, so they were both yanked toward the man.

Gael rolled to the side of the armored woman in a crouched position.

Seeing this, the grunt shouted, "One more slight move and I swear their heads will roll on the floor!! And you, worthless runt! You will pay for what you've done!" His left arm now tightly around the woman's neck while his other arm holding the curved blade near the woman's face.

Throndir

The paladin was surprised at the young boy's quick actions. He threw off what looked like small darts aimed at the ruffians' necks, and soon enough two of the three men were down. All that was left was the rather large and ugly one who held his curve blade up against the helpless woman's face. Annia was glad two were down, and normally she would have been impressed by the boys quick attacks, but she knew the situation was still far from safe, and she very well knew that the woman and her child was still in serious danger. A bead of sweat rolled down her brow, any sudden movement would likely provoke the man, and though he was just a large wild-eyed ruffian, the man looked strong enough to quickly deal a lethal blow to any of the individuals lying and sitting on the floor. That was something Annia didn't want, and she knew she would have to be careful choosing her next actions.

Jin... I'd rather not have to use you while the boy is watching. Annia told her mentor as she kept her eyes trained and targeted on the large man.

It doesn't look like there's a lot you can do. Jin replied back. Annia agreed. The leader's eyes were already wide and Annia knew it wouldn't take a lot to provoke the already desperate man. Whatever she did, she had to do it fast. Focusing her thoughts she quickly gave Jin her plan of action. A moment later the knight exploded into action. Or to be more precise, her sword.

A black and deep shadow emerged from the tip of her pointed blade, moving lightning fast it sped towards the throaty-voiced man. There was hardly any time to react at all, but to the man's credit, he had enough sense to bring his curved blade crashing down on the woman. It would have been lethal, the woman would have been dead at the spot, but as the blade drew near, the black shadow moved right in between the sword and the woman.

Brace yourself Annie. Jin said right before the sword struck the shadow. Annia knew it was coming, but as the sword sliced into the shadow, the knight too felt the sting of the sword. She keenly felt the pain as if she herself was the one being cut rather than the shadow she had thrust between the leader of the bandits and the helpless individuals.

Though she had already steeled herself against the pain, it was always more pronounced when the shadow was struck. It was like a transference; whenever the shadow was injured, the injuries would reflect back to herself, though, usually more painful than if her own body would have been struck. Already she felt the warmth of her blood dripping beneath her armor, she knew the wound was probably serious, but she knew as well that the ruffian would have been shocked, if only for a few more precious moments.

Annia moved her sword, pointed downwards, as she crumpled down using the sword as a support and balance. She started seeing white spots and her vision clouded from the pain struck to her very body and her essence of life. She still forced herself towards the boy trusting that he'd know what do while she attempted to recover from the shock of pain and her wounds.

"G-get him."

katherine.lalaine

Gael, trying to wrap his mind around what had just happened, got to his feet as soon as he heard Annia's instruction.
He nimbly took another dart from his side pocket and shot it to the direction of the man,
making sure that it will land on his neck.

As the ruffian struggled to his feet clutching his throat, Gael ran closer and quickly yanked the woman and her child away from him.  Frothy liquid started coming out of the big man's mouth as he started to gasp for breaths,
but much to Gael's surprise the man suddenly grabbed a hold of his left leg and began pulling it to him.
The man's other hand began groping for his curved blade that had dropped when he was darted.

:scyth: :scyth: :scyth:

Throndir

The pain still assaulted her, and she knew that she was already bleeding profusely. But it had been worth it, if not for her quick actions the woman and her child could have been in a more dire situation. She saw the boy's movements, but he was still caught by the ruffian.

Annia closed her eyes, and whispered a prayer to her patron god. It didn't take long for the power to be granted as her hands flashed and glowed a soft and warm white light. Closing her eyes, she began concentrating as she bathed in the warm light she had produced. The healing helped, and as she opened her eyes again she knew that the bleeding stopped. She had lost a lot of her strength, but she had enough.

Using her sword as a make-shift cane, she stood up.

kitkat27

Gael started kicking and flailing as the beefy man clutched his left leg pulling him ever closer to him. For someone who's already struggling with his breathing, the man is still very strong. He's probably mustering all his strength to be able to get back at Gael one last time to avenge himself and his men. He still managed to say "You're mine!" in between gasps and smirk evilly.

Gael continued struggling. He reached for his sides to his pocket and groped for his darts, only to realize that he had run out of them. "Heavens!" he blurted in frustration. The woman and her child were hugging each other tightly while watching in horror. They were traumatized as just minutes ago they almost got cut in two. They seemed to be petrified in shock where they were sitting now. The woman whimpering but the child is crying very loud which seemed to drown all the other sounds in the room.

Throndir

"N-no... No!" Annia yelled as she exploded into action. She had her sword drawn, but instead of having it pointed forward, she held her blade behind her, as the pommel of the sword lead the way.

"No more blood will be shed on this day!" With the rest of her remaining ounce of strength, she pulled back her hand which held her katana tightly, and as she closed the distance between her and the ruffian, punched the man as hard as she could. Her footing was off, her body tense with aches, so she had begun to topple over the ruffian. As she fell, the knight had enough sense to put her hands on the ruffian's throat to get his surrender, but Annia realized that the man was already unconscious as frothy liquid poured from his mouth.

Annia breathed deeply, glad that the encounter was over. She looked towards the others, but she eventually locked eyes with the young boy who had helped her defeat the bandits with his darts.

"Are they still alive?" She asked. She did not condone what the ruffians did, but neither did she want to see death.