[IC] Tyrant's Tomb

Started by Eireleen, November 20, 2012, 07:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oath

"Annia, I give you my apology. Generally I would love to be leading the pack, but my eyes are not well suited for spotting dangers that are not monsters. In a place that is likely trap infested, we would be worse off with me taking the lead. I will, however stay as close as possible."  I continue to proceed behind Annia, looking at my surroundings and admiring the art that adorned the walls from this ancient civilization. "Anyone that can be shown tribute in such an obvious manner must have been an incredible ruler." I say hoping to lighten the mood a bit after that first trap had been sprung.

Eireleen

The blade trap didn't reset immediately. For a while, the blade simply stayed against the wall. But after a few seconds, as though it was pulled by an invisible force, the blade swiveled through the wall. Annia saw as she rounded the corner as the blade emerged again, with a small click as the trap rearmed itself. The groove it moved through was disguised in the groove between bricks in the wall. Seeing it from the other side, the presence of the blade was glaringly obvious - but from the other side of the corner, there was no way to see it.

Annia didn't find any other traps, other than the blade trap. It had re-armed itself after she had finished moving, waiting for another trigger before it swept the corner again.

[spoiler]Annia 8/10
Jornathel 6/9
Ryine 7/13
Saendal 4/6

[/spoiler]

Throndir

Annia looked at the trap curiously. She would have spent longer examining the device and perhaps even attempt to trigger it again, but as the hallway opened up, her curiosity lead her elsewhere.

It really is like a tomb... She thought wonderingly to herself. Ryine had mentioned something about "ladies first", but truth be told Annia didn't really mind as the surely there would be sights to see in this old and ancient tomb left forgotten for who knows how many years. The trap that was sprung did little to quench her appetite for adventure, and without further ado, she gingerly kept moving forward, though, atleast trying to keep an eye out for future traps.

[spoiler]Search, spot, and listen, while moving 2 tiles north, 1 tile east. Stop immediately if she notices, spots, or hears something.
[blockquote]Search 1d20+2 : 6 + 2, total 8[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Spot 1d20+3 : 1 + 3, total 4[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Listen 1d20+3 : 12 + 3, total 15[/blockquote]
[/spoiler]

Eireleen

As Annia moved forward again, the blade trap sprang out again, swinging around the corner like a scythe. The paladin was the first in its path, but the arc stretched out to the man behind her as well. It traced its path with mechanical precision, aimed at neck level just as before, roughly five feet above the ground, leaving a small streak of the droplets of the woman's blood that it had drawn but a moment before - and even those among the dried and coagulated blood of those before her which clung to and stained the cruel blade.

[spoiler]Annia does not find any other traps except for the one they already found the hard way. Speaking of which,

Blade Trap springs again. It's not counted as a surprise attack this time because everyone is aware of the trap.

vs Annia: [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+3 : 5 + 3, total 8[/blockquote] vs AC for [blockquote]Rolled 1d8 : 5, total 5[/blockquote] damage.

vs Ryine: [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+3 : 2 + 3, total 5[/blockquote] vs AC for [blockquote]Rolled 1d8 : 4, total 4[/blockquote] damage.

[/spoiler]

Throndir

As the trap sprung, Annia ducked in time as the blade swung overhead. With the way clear, Annia again steps forward, keeping her eyes out for any other dangers in the passageway.

[spoiler]Move 1 north, 3 east while using search, spot, and listen. Stop when she notices anything.
[blockquote]Search 1d20+2 : 7 + 2, total 9[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Spot 1d20+3 : 19 + 3, total 22[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Listen 1d20+3 : 11 + 3, total 14[/blockquote]
[/spoiler]

Manzokushi

His mind was still full of exciting images of their travels under the open sky when a trap sprang. It appeared as though Annia was not very fortunate and received a minor wound. The traps path was obvious once it was revealed. These circumstances would better be served with someone of better eyes in the lead. Annia though of great warrior stature was a human and in that limited in such dark places. Jorn loathed the underground but given the circumstances he was best served to lead in this mess.

He spoke just above a whisper so that all could hear, just as the trap reset and flashed around the corner once again. "Friends, first off that trap is mechanical and will likely continue to reset. Might I suggest we all duck until past that particular obstacle, its arch of attack is 5 feet high and does not deviate. Secondly, I propose that I should take the lead. Inherently born with better eyes not only to detect but also to perceive in this infernal darkness."

Before moving, Jorns hands begin to move, and arcane syllables flow from his lips.

[spoiler]Casting Mage Armor[/spoiler]

[spoiler]IF allowed to move forward. Jorn moves to the split and presses north 6 tiles.
[blockquote]Spot 1d20+3 : 17 + 3, total 20[/blockquote]

[blockquote]Listen 1d20+2 : 7 + 2, total 9[/blockquote]

[blockquote]Search 1d20+8 : 20 + 8, total 28[/blockquote]
[/spoiler]

Eireleen

Thankfully, Jornathel managed to stop Annia from proceeding before she walked into another trap. Along the walls up ahead, he saw the small grooves in the wall that the blade traps used to reset themselves. There were two of them, set into both of the corners up ahead. If the paladin had taken one more step, both would have attempted to cut into her. The other blade traps were set into the wall at a height of five feet, just like the first one.

As he predicted, the first blade trap reset itself as well. But he noticed something peculiar about it - from his current vantage point, he could see the hinge on which the blade trap rotated. The blade itself was made of bronze, a fragile metal that hadn't been used in weaponry for millenia. There was no mechanical component other than the pivot and the blade. It was, essentially, a scimitar on a hinge.  There was nothing that should have allowed it to reset itself as it did.  And furthermore, there were no pressure plates, or any kind of sensor to trigger them.

But they still moved, lashing out at those who trespassed in these ancient halls. It was almost as though the tomb itself were alive...like there was a ghostly force that compelled the blades to movement, triggering and resetting them as it saw fit.

[spoiler]Annia and Jorn's movement stops as he points out the traps ahead.

Map
[spoiler][/spoiler]

MS Paint diagram of how the trap works
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Manzokushi

The traps were built into the tomb to prevent entry that much was obvious. Otherwise they would swing both ways. Why this place was chosen to be protected exactly was unsure at this point. The place could very well be haunted but that seemed less logical than perhaps a series of well devised traps to keep out grave robbers."If you would please allow me to press forward in the lead for the time being I suggest everyone crawl, till I find a suitable place to stand once again."

The only good answer would have to be magic. But the question was not only what kind but how strong of a magic was layered within. With that hunch in mind, Jorn began to trace a short line of runes, and whispered under his breath in an arcane language.

[spoiler]
Casting Detect Magic
if Magic is Detected on the Trap Area
[blockquote]Spell Craft 1d20+10 : 7 + 10, total 17[/blockquote]
[/spoiler]

Eireleen

Jornathel's whispers echo softly throughout the stone halls. However, the tomb guards its mysteries just as it guards its treasure, and no magic auras reveal themselves to him.

At the height that the blade traps are positioned, it seems that crawling under them is suitable to bypass them. Were it possible for bronze to rust, the trap would likely no longer function after its many thousands of years of operation. But even so, it's possible to see the way the scimitar has bent and warped after being swung at an uncountable number of targets. The fact that it still retains its lethality is a testament to its smith, whose name is long forgotten.

Throndir

Ducking down to avoid the traps, Annia wanted to continue exploring; she didn't understand why the others hadn't taken a huge lead yet, after all the mysteries of the tomb were just so very fascinating. There was probably some treasures hidden deep in the tombs as well, surely one of the others in the group were interested in that. If not that, then how about things like mummies? Or even undead!

Annia shivered, though it was hard to deny that she was still just a bit curious to see if there were such things in old and forgotten tombs. She glanced back at the moon elf who had spoken and suggested that he lead. Annia would have readily agreed, though, a part of her really wanted to just keep trudging along...

[spoiler][blockquote]Will save, DC 10 1d20 : 7, total 7[/blockquote]
If she fails the will save, Annia will continue ducking down as she makes her way 1 tile north, and 4 tiles east, searching and examining for anything particular, in which case she'll stop and let the others know.
[blockquote]Spot 1d20+3 : 11 + 3, total 14[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Listen 1d20+3 : 8 + 3, total 11[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Search 1d20+2 : 12 + 2, total 14[/blockquote][/spoiler]

Eireleen

The blade traps proved avoidable by simply crawling under them. Because they were aimed at the neck, a low profile caused them to simply whiff over their heads. A dwarf or halfling could easily simply walk under them, as Ludar demonstrated, keeping up the rear of the party.

The sandstone deeper into the tomb looked to be more preserved than the entrance. It was natural, of course, as the blistering winds of the desert did not reach here. The tomb almost looked brand new. The air was warm and stagnant, having absorbed millennia of dust, sand, and remnants of the rotting corpses of those less fortunate than the guildsman. One such skeleton lay dead as they passed it by, seeming to be nothing more than dust in the shape of bone after eons of laying dormant.

The cause of the skeleton's past plight soon became apparent, as with a quiet click, two bronze nozzles emerged from either side of the wall. In ancient times, they would have spewed out poison gas at those who had trespassed here. But after defending the tyrant's treasure for so many thousands of years, its reserves had long since been exhausted. The trap blew only hot air.

The hieroglyphs continued as well, as they traversed the hall. A single image was displayed larger than the others - it was that of a grieving woman, weeping over the corpse of the knight who had died protecting the tyrant. Her garb was heavy and elegant, with jewelry adorning her neck and wrists. Her hair was done up in a bun, in sharp contrast to that of the peasants, whose hair was unkempt and stained. In ancient times, she was likely a person of some power and importance, but her identity remained shrouded.

Saendal's eyes are able to see far better than anyone else's in the pitch darkness. He spies a room up ahead, out of view of his comrades.

[spoiler]Annia 8/10
Jornathel 14/17
Ryine 19/25
Saendal 5/7

[/spoiler]

Emperor Wilbers

The tomb extended quite some distance further and emptied out into what seemed to be the first room. He stopped in his tracks, shut his eyes, and breathed in. As the damp, warm air entered his throat it filled him with a surge of energy and longing for adventure. The lust to delve further into the ancient tomb to find the untouched sarcophagus coursed through his veins. "I, am going to head off, this way. It would be nice to have someone at my side," he said looking over his shoulder at the group as he walked away.

[spoiler]Walk 5 tiles north.

Search
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+6 : 10 + 6, total 16[/blockquote]

Spot
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 11 + 5, total 16[/blockquote]

Listen
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 14 + 5, total 19[/blockquote][/spoiler]

Eireleen

The room that the hallway opens up into appears to be quite large. And moreover, getting a closer look at the walls and floor, it appears to be a veritable gauntlet of traps of all kinds. Judging from the burnt tips of the bronze nozzles jutting from the wall, they had been meant to spew flame, though the oil they would have used to generate it has long since been used up. And across the ground were more blade trap grooves, presumably where the blades would slash out from the floor itself - though the hinges of the blades, which should be visible, are conspicuously missing.

It seems like these traps have already been disarmed...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Throndir

Steps slowed as Annia stopped her march. The knight frowned as the dark elf behind them took the other way in the fork. She glanced behind her to her companions to see if anyone of them would follow. No one moved, and everyone seemed silent. She spoke, though her words were hushed.

"Well, I suppose we follow the dark elf?"

Manzokushi

He watched as the dark elf took off on his own. It was no surprise that he would choose to abandon his companions, after all its in their nature. But given his past record that could not be the intent here. Annia noticed as well that Saedal had broken away from the rest. Nothing like a bit of confusion to mount into some good old fashioned foolishness. Well no matter, he attempted to smile erasing the dread that attempted too creep up from his bowels.

Jorn whispered in response, "I would not often ask that one put themselves in harms way. But Saendal, is  quiet capable I would say. The sooner we can find an open room to stretch out from one another the better. Your company is not lacking but I do enjoy my space. Do remind me the next time we are in town to ask for a not under the ground request. Oh right as to your question, sure best we all stay together."