Book 1 - Chapter 3: The City on the Hill

Started by Asta, July 23, 2020, 07:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pringerbeam

Thedrin bristled at the bumpkin lord's comment but held his tongue and did his best to maintain his composure. He kept his attention on the Righ, the highest authority here, and tried to salvage any damage the blue rose wearing lord might have done. "Ah but of course your highness. I assure you that when we next meet you will not be disappointed." Thedrin bowed once again. "Now, I guess we have preparations to make. We bid you good day your highness. May you keep in good health." With that Thedrin backed away to make their exit.

Throndir

Rhenri blew a quiet and low whistle as she followed behind her companions. She didn't quite look so approvingly at Thedrin at first especially back in Telan, but she had to admit that he at least knew how to talk to all these rich and pompous men; a skill she wholeheartedly knew she was missing.

All things considered, the archer would rather deal with placing an arrow in between the eyes of a noble, than talk to them with as much grace as a pig on ice.

"Pity about the titles, but that went well. Waden a full hundred, but might could be enough for the goblins." She commented to her companions.

pringerbeam

"A pity?"  Exclaimed Thedrin a little too loudly. He was about to continue before taking a quick breath and lowering his tone with a look around, hoping to spot any eavesdropping courtiers. "We were humiliated there. This yokle lord snatched our glory right out from under us. I had the ear of the Righ and he cut our forces down to almost a tenth of its strength..."  He was fuming at the insult and barely keeping another outburst in check as they made their way out of the keep. "And whoever that blue rose bedecked bumpkin of a lord is, he must have quite a lot of influence to so insult us in front of the Righ... Why I..." He once again cut himself off and let out an indignant huff.

Asta

As if appearing from nowhere, you suddenly find Bhenneit standing nearby. "You may want to wait until you are out of the keep before you chastise the heads of the clans my young friend."

Bhenneit smiles knowingly and places a finger to his lips before continuing. "Uisdean in particular has eyes and ears all over. I thought your uncle might have taught you some of the political situation before sending you here. Let us speak outside, come." He gestures with a ringed hand toward the nearest exit to the keep.

pringerbeam

"My uncle seems to have a very different view of how the court of the Righ operates."  Replied Thedrin as they made their way out. "Clearly he's spent too much time away from court on his ranch."

Asta

"Does he? That seemed rather par for the course to me. Uisdean MacArtain is forever the dissenting voice at court." Bhenneit sighs and shrugs. "I'll be the first to admit that Thunich is a nation relatively in its infancy. A scant two hundred years isn't nearly enough time for the animosity of the Twenty Year War to dissipate. It's a well known fact, or open secret depending on who you ask, that Uisdean MacArtain and his clan actively work to usurp the Righ and his clan."

Bhenneit leads your group around the corner and towards one of the streets leading back into the city. "You may ask why Righ Marr doesn't just put the whole clan to the sword, but the issue is that the MacArtain's still have a considerable amount of power and influence, as well as financial backing from clan MacCaibe. You probably saw the head of the clan conspiring with Uisdean up in the galleries. Spiteful woman she is, shrewd too.

Bhenneit pauses at the opening of the street. "The point here, is that Uisdean was trying to spin sending aid to your village as Righ Marr allowing a lapse of protection for the city, creating an issue from nothing he could use to stir up trouble with the people. Your group just happened to be the unfortunate petitioners that got used as pawns. As for the 'blue rose bedecked bumpkin' you mentioned, that is Sachairi Foirbeiseach, the Righ's right hand. Another powerful clan, incredibly loyal, though good Sachairi is... blunt, to put it politely."

"But enough about that, at the very least you have obtained your audience and some soldiers will be sent to Telan. I'll ensure they are properly outfitted for the campaign I promise you that. While I have your undivided attention, I'd like to ask of you a favor for my assistance earlier."

Bhenneit pulls a slip of paper from inside his coat pocked and extends it for one of you to take. "There has been, as of late, an issue with the merchants coming in to the city. I oversee a considerable amount of trade in Aite-Aerd and some complaints have begun to find their way to me that travelers and merchants coming in from the east gate are having to pay a substantially higher fee to enter the city. I'm sure I don't need to spell this out for you, but it seems some of the guards are running a little extortion racket. The problem... is that there isn't sufficient proof of their misdeeds. Merchants are always complaining about paying to enter the city after all, so the protestations are largely dismissed. Obviously you can't task the city guard to investigate themselves because there is no telling how far the corruption has spread, so an outside element is needed. Your group is new and unknown in the city, making you the perfect investigators. You have a few days yet before the Expeditionary Force is assembled and outfitted and I would like you to find sufficient proof of the extortion, and assemble a list of conspirators. I thank you in advance for your discretion, Clan MacMhata will not forget this service."

[info]Lore Updated:
Clan Houses of Aite-Aerd[/info]

pringerbeam

"Petty corruption? And of course let me guess: there is no appropriately titled Master of the Gates or equivalent to lodge a complaint with." Replied Thedrin as he took the offered paper. "I swear this land operates in a barely contained state of anarchy." He mutters as he reads the paper.

Asta

The corners of Bhenneit's mouth draw up into a smile despite Thedrin's overt insult to his city and country. It is a politician's smile, a merchant's smile, all in the mouth and nothing in the eyes. "You have remarkable patience." he says, looking at Rhenri, Cecilia, and Scathach.

"Wearin' thin." Scathach replies.

"I suspect" Bhenneit comments with a nod. "Let me know what you find out. When you need to find me, ask any guard for the location of my home. I should be there for the rest of the day." With that, he leaves your group and heads down a side street.

"Gran' so, where do yer want ter begin?" Scathach says, watching the lord leave.

[info]The paper Bhenneit handed you has the details about his request written on it for reference.[/info]

pringerbeam

Thedrin shrugged. "I don't know. I would prefer we find whatever passes for the commander of the watch and inform them of the corruption but I guess lord Bhenneit doesn't want us to do that." He sighed as he looked around the streets of the city.

Throndir

"Since we're waitin' for a few days, what do y'all think about that map we got from the tavern? We can tawk to the commander here, and let him know we'll be back a few days, afore they leave."

"Personally, I care little for the corruption Bhenneit mentioned. Always have corruption in cities, and findin' a list of conspirators might just be too much work for a simple reward of rememberance of clan MacMhata." Secretly, Rhenri just didn't want to bother with other people, where something like an investigation would defintely involve talking to them. It was simpler just to kill things.

pringerbeam

"It's not much of a reward outright but the true value lies in clearing any debts owed at court. Reputation is everything and it would be devastating to start off with the reputation of debtor." Replied Thedrin. "Surely we could complete this task in just a few hours and then make for the ruins if that's your wish." Thedrin was highly unenthusiastic about traipsing around some long dead highlander's ruined estate but he knew he would need the help of the other members of their little party and as such was willing to humor them.

Asta

"Let's go check out the gate then." Scathach said with a shrug, thumbing to the east.

[info]Chapter 3.1 - The Eastern Gate Scandal[/info]

Asta

Later...

Date: Oaeksaber 8, Erstdey, 795
Time:

It's still early afternoon when you step back onto the streets outside Bhenneit's estate. You find yourselves with no responsibilities and only time on your hands as you wait for the assembly and departure of the expedition back to Telan.

Scathach pipes up: "So, yer get a chance ter figure out that map yet?"

Oath

"Ah, yes, the map has been deciphered, it is relatively close to town and it shouldn't be too much trouble for us to get where we need go." It hadn't been too hard but Cecilia was glad to get a chance to do some of the work that interested her.

pringerbeam

"Ah yes... the map... What exactly is it a map to again?" Inquired Thedrin.