Book 1 - Chapter 2: The Road to Aite-Aerd

Started by Asta, March 09, 2020, 11:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asta

"We have a deal then?" The old man said, eyeing the coin under Rhenri's finger.

[info]Presuming Rhenri and Cecilia purchase the map from the old adventurer, split the cost of 40 silver among yourselves as you see fit.[/info]

When the transaction was complete the old man smiled. "You've kept an old man fed for another week, I wish you luck where my own failed me." The man rose from his seat after pocketing the money and wandered over to the bar to order a meal. In nearly the same instant, one of the young women that worked in the establishment sidled up near your group.

"Your rooms have been prepared, you may retire when ready." After a short bow she ambled away to see to other patrons, leaving the four of you alone at the table.

"Su, bed?" Scathach asked.

Throndir

[info]I'll offer up 2 gp.[/info]

"Sounds good." Rhenri replied, agreeing to the sentiment, and ready to rest the night herself.

pringerbeam

Thedrin looked at the offered gold quizzically for a second before it dawned on him its purpose.  "Oh, I guess we could share the room...  Just uh, don't interrupt.  Also, I'll be taking first bath."  He said as his eye drifted to the young lass that had gone upstairs to prepare the room.  "Hopefully not alone...  Don't wait up."  He said as he made a beeline for the girl. "Ah! My savior! I really need to talk to you about my laundry."

[info]Diplomacy to see if Thedrin can get lucky.[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 4 + 8, total 12[/blockquote][/info]

Asta

Thedrin:

"Ah, yes?" The girl replied, spinning on her heel while deftly balancing a tray of very full steins. "Was there something more you needed?"

[spoiler]If you're planning on playing this out for an extended amount, we can move it to a side thread. Just let me know after you make your initial reply.[/spoiler]

Everyone else:

"Well then, Oi'm going tah head up and drop off my things" Scathach said, rising from her seat. "Let me knu if that one earns 'imself a slap."

[info]Provided nobody has any other plans, I will move the thread along in my next post.[/info]

pringerbeam

"Oh but of course, nothing too urgent though. Perhaps we could go somewhere more... private?"

[info] Good to move on to next day/ plot point. We don't need to elaborate on Thedrin's escapades. [/info]

Asta

Thedrin:

In response to your overtures, the serving girl flushes slightly. It seems, you have this one in the bag.

Everyone:

Date: Oaeksaber 2, 795
Time: 0600

Dawn breaks on another chilly autumn morning, the light of the climbing sun peeks through the windows of the inn room and from somewhere beneath you the smell of frying bacon greets you. Thedrin's coital gambit seems to have paid off in more ways than one, as you find a tray of breakfast sitting covered in front of the doors to the rooms; a small note indicates they are complimentary.

When your morning preparations are complete, you leave the Stardust Knight and step out into the brisk air, already the streets are starting to fill with early risers heading to the market in the town square. "Market first, tah restock? Or get oon the road?" Scathach asks.

pringerbeam

"Market, hopefully to find something more enticing than hardtack for supply."  Replied Thedrin, as he stretched his arms out.  He was bathed, in a freshly laundered set of clothes, and feeling very refreshed by his night despite getting a less than optimal amount of sleep.  "Oh civilization does the body good!  The tales of knight errants back home apprently glossed over the parts with the mud and hypothermia.  So nice to get a real nights rest.  That gentleman was from Albion you know.  Would you believe me if I told you that the lodgings back home are even better? How far is it supposed to be to Ait Aerd from here?"

Asta

"Yeah 'tis 'ard livin' outside yer plush mansions innit? Naw silk cushion for yer arse." Scathach replied teasingly. "At any rate, it 'ill be aboyt another week before we git there. Provided somethin' doesn't 'appen along the way."

Your group heads further into town, milling about with others as you make your way to the town square where the market sets up every day but Resdey. Once there, you find a small sea of stalls offering a wide variety of wares. Produce, dried foodstuffs, medical supplies, and trinkets are all on display for anyone with a desire to lighten their coin purse.

[info]Make any purchases you need and note them in your post. The market has items up to a base value of 2000 gp, though no magical items are being sold, with the exception of potions of cure light wounds.[/info]

pringerbeam

"Silk: the fabric of the nouveau riche. Soft and pliable sure but eventually falls prey to moths. Though I guess the ladies do like their silk. Myressa Dansuth swore by her silk unmentionables but let me tell you from experience: unless you used as little material in your unmentionables as she, the chafing quickly gets unbearable if you intend on doing anything other than lounging in a parlor.  Now a good stoat fur cushion, well maintained by diligent servants, that is true luxury that only the diligence and care of a proper lineage tends to foster. Grandmother always preferred wolf cub fur though. Hunted them herself apparently until the old crone couldn't heft a crossbow."  Remarked Thedrin as he looked over the stalls.  The local baker had some kind of dense nut and honey cake they claimed would serve a day's nutrition and endure the trip. It was miles better than the hardtack he had bought on short notice before so he bought a little more than a weeks worth. None of the other trinkets he saw were worth much of a look but he did get a cot to replace the one he had forgot to pack in his haste and distraction. Anything to avoid sleeping on the hard ground for another week.

[info] Spend 20 gp on 10x elven trail rations

Spend 1 gp on a cot[/info]

Throndir

Not one to go extravagant, Rhenri searched the stalls for basic trail rations, enough to hopefully last the next leg of the journey. While she was going through the stalls, she made sure to look for any place that might be willing to buy the lapis beads they had earned in the kobold fight from before.

[info]Buying trail rations x14, for 5 SP each. Storing them in the backpack.

Also attempting to sell the lapis beads. Splitting it evenly between the four members.[/info]

Oath

"I should restock while we are here as well, don't want to run out of food on the trail. Who knows what we will run into next."

[info]
Also buying 14 trail rations. Sorry for the delay.[/info]

Asta

An hour later when your shopping is complete you finally set back out on the road. Aite-Aerd is yet a week away, and you steel yourselves for another lengthy ride to the north-east. As the day progresses, a stiff wind picks up from the east. Small swirls of dead grass are blown up by the intermittent gusts and the long grasses that stretch out to the horizon undulate like waves on the sea.

Date: Oaeksaber 4, Mittdey, 795
Time: ~1200

A few days of uneventful riding finds you halfway between Caer Mog and your destination. The sun shines high from its zenith and the occasional gusts of wind that picked up when you left town have yet to calm. A short distance away, near the road, is a small pond where you can rest for a spell and let your mounts get something to drink. Indeed it seems that it would be time for a break anyway, as the horses begin to pull against their reigns in the direction of the watering hole.

[info]Book 1 - Chapter 2.2 You can lead a horse to water...[/info]

Asta

With your "break" at the watering hole at an end, you continue riding northwest. Hours turn to days, and days into nights as you trek along the road to your destination. Mercifully, you are not met with any more hardship in the next few days than a light cold rain that persists for a few hours the day after your encounter with the hyenas.

The morning of the 6th begins like every other day on the road, a brisk breakfast, the breakdown of camp, the mounting of horses. After half a day off travel though, finally your destination is in sight...

[info]Continue in The City on the Hill[/info]