Book 1 - Chapter 2: The Road to Aite-Aerd

Started by Asta, March 09, 2020, 11:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pringerbeam

"Wine! Oh yes please wine!" Exclaimed Thedrin at the mention of imports. "Tell me, do you have anything from the southwest shore of the lake?"

Asta

"I have precisely the vintage you're looking for." the proprietor says, then pulls a dark green bottle from below the bar with a flourish. "An inviting oaken nose with hints of citrus, mellow body, slightly dry, and a touch of chocolate and spice on the finish." The cork is removed from the bottle with a satisfying pop, as he goes about describing the beverage. Eventually he whips a stemmed glass from the rack behind him and pours without asking.

"Enjoy a taste of home, your rooms will be ready shortly." He slides the glass across the bar before turning to one of his employees and gives a sharp whistle. The girl bows short then hurries off upstairs, presumably to ready the room.

Meanwhile...

As Thedrin made a bee-line for the bar and began chatting with the proprietor, Scathach found an open table and took a seat. She thumped a hand on the tabletop a few times indicating that while nothing better was going on, you may as well sit.

Throndir

Rhenri took a seat on the open table, she planned to order proper drinks and a meal before the end of the day. She took a deep breath as she settled in the chair. It's been over half a tenday since they've set off from Telan after all, with naught but the wilderness around them. She remembered her own travels years ago when she was fleeing from Valtz; that journey itself was long, with the rare occasional stop as taverns such as these. Back then when she was fleeing from Valtz and laying low, she avoided taverns and potentially crowded places such as these. She made stops at villages to resupply of course but never stayed too long at all. How many years has it been? Three? Maybe four?

This time around, she wasn't just blindly traveling though without any destination in mind. She didn't feel as constrained or pressured either. Truly, she felt like she could even enjoy travelling. She had companions from Telan, and felt more comfortable with her position in life. She hoped that it didn't make her complacent however.

She glanced at both Scathach and Cecilia. She kept an eye on Thedrin too, but seeing him busy himself with talking to the proprietor, Rhenri let herself fall into the comforts of the tavern.

"So either of you travel around much?" Rhenri asked, her question coming more from reminiscing about her own travels than a curiosity for her companions.

[info]She also orders a simple meal, and pays for her share of lodging.[/info]

pringerbeam

Thedrin watched the girl head upstairs, wishing her skirt was short enough to allow a glimpse of her thighs, before turning back to the glass of wine.  A single sip and he sighed with delight.  "Ah...  A fine vintage. Just like they served at the knight's academy..."  His uncle cared little for wine and kept a paltry cabinet of rather than the full cellars he was used to and nothing from back in Albion so while it was nothing but a common table wine by Albion standards it was still the best he had had in months.  He placed a small stack of gold coins on the bar.  "For the room, laundry, a hot bath, hot meal, and this wonderful bottle of wine.  Also a gratuity for you and your staff."  He said, taking another sip of wine.  "Tell me, what brings you out to these parts.  It's a long way from the shores of the lake."

[info]Thedrin pays 5 gp for the lodgings and wine[/info]

Asta

"Much appreciated good sir. As for my present situation, to tell the truth, I have only just arrived within the last year. I don't know how long you've been away but things tumultuous back home. The rumor was there's been some dissent brewing, and not just among the unlanded. Some of the higher ups in both the Academy and the Mage's College have been unhappy with the way the king has been ruling. I didn't stick around to see if it was true. Civil unrest is both bad for business and one's health."

Across the room...

"Never too far from Telan. Haven't 'ad much of a reason to. Since me folks passed, oi felt it would be a shame to leave the home they left for me so oi kept huntin' in the area."

pringerbeam

"I've been in the Steppe for only a few months but took a long route to get here. What was the unrest about?"  Thedrin asked. He hadn't been particularly involved in the politics of the kingdom. Sure, he knew something of the "quiet game" as his grandmother had put it but with the head of his house set to belong to his brother Thedrin had paid little attention to the political interplay of the noble houses beyond finding out who's daughters were most attractive and looking for a fun tryst.

Throndir

"There's a wide world out there." Rhenri replied to the ranger. "I reckon you'll do mighty fine if you do decide to venture, hell, you've taught me a thing or two about what it's like being out here. But I cain't really say much, truth be told, I haven't had a reason to travel much either since I first arrived."

Asta

The proprietor leaned a little closer and glanced quickly to his periphery, checking to see who might be listening to the conversation. "The word is... there is a faction of people in power that think it's been too long since Albion expanded its borders and influence... They seem to want to push for annexation of new territory. The king is against this, naturally, since he's always been a proponent of peaceful coexistence but a large portion of the populous seems to have been swayed... I'd be careful if you travel south in the future."

Back at the table...

"We'll oi do suppose oy'm out an about now. Nawt been all too bad, 'cept that one's blubberin'." Scathach gestured towards Thedrin, still in conversation at the bar.

Before the conversation can continue, you notice that the older man that was sitting in the corner has stood up and is making his way across the room to your table.

pringerbeam

"I see..." Mused Thedrin as he sipped on the wine. No doubt the quiet game was afoot. He wondered where his family was in the game before remembering that he was effectively barred from play until he got a proper title. Not that he particularly wanted to play but being disowned and dishonored he would emerge onto the field alone and unable to leave such things to other family members as he has before. He would need a court of his own. His gaze went to the table where the others sat. A hedge wizard, poachers...  It was no royal entourage... but it was a start.

"Thank you for your hospitality and word from home." Said Thedrin as he stood and took the bottle of wine. He raised his glass in a toast to the innkeeper before turning to join the others at their table, arriving at the same time as the newcomer.  "Who's this?" He asked with an arched eyebrow and a motion to the older man.

Asta

"Dunno." Scathach replied, eyeballing the man as he finished his approach of the table.

On closer inspection, you can see he is likely in his late 50s. Dark tanned skin implies he's spent most of his life outdoors in the hot sun, and his posture marks him as someone that has spent a long time doing strenuous work. His outfit, a simple rough tunic with a hide coat over top suggests he is less than affluent but likely not a beggar. His beard, long and wild, hides a wide mouth with a few missing teeth.

"I know your type" he says in a graveled voice as he puts a hand on the table. "You're 'venturers. You got the look about you, same as me some thirty years by. I've got something you might have an interest in..."

pringerbeam

Thedrin wrinkled his nose at the "adventurer" and his impoverished appearance. "Ugh, I think you underestimate us grave robber. We are on an important quest. Not... whatever it is you're doing these days."

Asta

"Dying by degrees." The man replied flatly, looking into Thedrin's eyes for an uncomfortable amount of time. "Seen an awful lot of your type too. They don't live long."

The man turned to Cecelia, "You on the other hand, look like a bright lass. I'll bet you're handy with a spell." He paused and pulled a rolled parchment from his inner coat pocket. "You in particular should be interested in this."

"When I were a younger man, I found this in a bandit treasure hoard while out on a job. It's a map you see, a very old one, the writing is in script long dead." He takes the binding off the scroll and lays it flat on the table. "Tried to get it translated, you know how these things are, you find a map, there's treasure at the end yeah? 'Cept nobody could seem to figure out more than this bit right here, a name. Amhra Dhuarcáin, if you don't know who that is it wouldn't surprise me. Long dead wizard of some long dead clan, but that's all I could ever find in thirty years."

[spoiler=Cecelia]A cursory glance at the map and its writing reminds of you of something in the book you bought at the festival.[/spoiler]

"The point here I'm getting at, is you being the 'venturing sort, perhaps I could interest you in a little trade. As you can see, a life on the road fighting monsters and bandits has taken it's toll. Gold saved from 'quests' as your friend puts it only lasts so long when saved and my twisted body can't work as it used to. I sell old tokens of my adventuring days to keep fed."

The man rolls the parchment back up and slips the tie back around it. "A mere forty silver for a chance to find an untouched treasure is an easy trade... I would think."

Throndir

[info]Sense Motive on the old man for any hunches that he might have ulterior motives.

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+3 : 16 + 3, total 19[/blockquote][/info]

"Forty silver ain't too bad." She glanced towards her companions gauging their interest. But either way, she pulled out a gold coin. "If we are to take a treasure, I reckon we'll all be involved with findin' it and sharin' what we find. I'm all for a bit of a side venture if y'all are up for it. Might even be along the way to Aite-Aerd. So here's my share of the payment."

Rhenri dangles the gold coin between her fingers waiting for the rest to come to a decision.

Oath

Cecilia looked at the map that the old man held. She knew she had to have it. "Even if nobody else is interested, I need that map. It seems similar to a book that I picked up in town. If anyone else is interested, of course I welcome the company in deciphering what it could mean."

Asta

[spoiler=Rhenri's Sense Motive]You are fairly confident that the man has told nothing but the truth, and just wants to get enough money to make it through another couple weeks.[/spoiler]