[Vanguard] Book 1 - Chapter 5: Tyresia, Town of the Dead

Started by Throndir, February 17, 2020, 06:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

Tyresia
Day 4 - Late Afternoon

Leaving behind the strange other travelers, the journey continued on. A sense of unease was prevalent, with the fact that the group had just encountered creatures that seemed to come straight from horror stories. Their pallid skin gave off the idea that they were dead. Skeletal creatures were known to inhabit the Dungeon, though moving corpses was an entirely different matter altogether.

Although it was late afternoon, a heavy fog had rolled in and combined with overcast skies made everything look greyed out. The town of Tyresia was the destination of the Dian Cecht familia, and Jars could be heard sighing in relief.

"A little bit of trouble with the lions, the axe beak, and those... things. But we made it!" Jars said, his voice a bit chirpier than normal. "Let me talk with the mayor, get the transaction sorted, these potions turned into gold, and I'll pay you the 10 million vals owed. Then the 400,000 vals for the two horses. We'll need to make our way to the merchants in this town too for new horses."

[info]State any activities or actions or prep[/info]

Mysticsage

"Jars, since Ciara is not here let me act as a little extra muscle for you? Something about what we saw on the road makes my tail stand on end. Those things looked like people and the closest place is this town." Taiga said scanning the streets.

Throndir

Mysticsage

[info]requested perception
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 3 + 8, total 11[/blockquote][/info]

pringerbeam

"Assuming there is anyone left to collect from."  Said Yuki as she idly flipped one of her kunai up and down in one hand. Catching the blade, she followed up by unsheathing her katana. "I suggest we all look menacing. Like Jars said earlier, the order isn't enough for the whole town so watch out for people that might try to rob us."

Throndir

[info]Taiga's Perception: 11
It was hard trying to see through all the fog, but needless to say, you didn't see anybody at all. The town looked empty.[/info]

"A population of just under 5,000." Jars said agreeing. "Most of the potions we carry won't really do anyone sick, anything at all, other than a placebo. But it's not my business to question the decision of the mayor. Anyways, I'm heading to the town hall. The rest of you should find an inn, along with a horse salesmen. The horses will probably be done for about 30 minutes to an hour after their last dosage." Jars said as he began to get off the wagon.

"I'll be back with your payment."

pringerbeam

"Ah yes, scenic Tyresia. Enjoy the misty sights, the plague riddled people, the contaminated food..."  Said Yuki, gesturing into the fog with her katana before returning it to its scabbard. "Sorry but since we're not going to get paid unless you get paid first, I'm going with you. I suggest Taiga and Eydis get the horses and lodgings while Mimsy and Sotu come with us."  She said, hopping down to Jars and wrapping around his arm. "Come on Jarsy, show a small town girl how you big city boys do business."

Mysticsage

"You getting away that easy, Yuki," Taiga said with a wide smile. "I don't think Jars could focus on his work with you hanging around his neck the whole time," Taiga said stepping down from the cart.

"Also these people are suffering no need to put them over a barrel more than they already are. They are probably struggling to think straight with all this going on as things are no need to break their spirits. Thalia never was one for gallows humor after all and no one wants to see her when she gets upset, do we?"
Taiga asked the ninja, with a knowing smirk, as she clung to Jars.

"That being said, I am curious about this whole mess, if what we saw on the road was a result of this illness, it is like no other illness I've seen or heard about before outside of rabid animals. Something has my tail fur on end and I won't be able to relax until I get some kind of answer. So, we use the buddy system for the time being just like back in the orphanage. Never split the group but if you have to never go into danger alone. So I'm following along." Taiga said giving no room for argument.

Throndir

Tyresia
Day 4 - Late Afternoon

"But isn't that leaving Eydis alone with Rota?" Mimsy asked. "Oh umm... no offense Rota. We're just from a different familia..."

"It's strange that there isn't anyone around though... It's really quiet here for a town bigger than Thalia village."

[info]Looking for anything out of the ordinary
[blockquote]Perception 1d20+2 : 9 + 2, total 11[/blockquote][/info]

Linwelin

"It's fine, Rota and I can handle the horses. Besides, I'd like to have a little chat. If that's alright, Rota." Eydis said, dismissing Mimsy's concern.

Eydis wordlessly agrees with Mimsy's observation, similarly examining her surroundings.

[info][blockquote]Perception:  1d20+6 : 11 + 6, total 17[/blockquote][/info]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Throndir

Tyresia
Day 4 - Late Afternoon

With that Jars, Yuki, Taiga, Mimsy, and Sotu went towards the town center, where Jars said the Town Hall was located, while Eydis and Rota stayed back to find a stable and inn, to hopefully find replacements for the horses.

[info]Eydis to separate thread.[/info]

The town of Tyresia was fairly large. Where Thalia village was a simple village of a population of a couple hundred, Tyresia boasted a couple thouosand, and therefore looked more like a proper town with buildings of multiple stories tall, and paved roads. Strangely however, no one cam to greet the group, it was a fairly quiet journey heading towards the town center.

[info]Perception requested from Jars, Yuki, Taiga, Mimsy, and Sotu.[/info]

pringerbeam

Yuki looked around at the quiet mist filled streets. "Real party town were have here."

[info] Perception[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+3 : 4 + 3, total 7[/blockquote][/info]

Mysticsage

"It feels like this whole place is holding its breath right before it lets out an ear-splitting scream," Taiga said staying beside Jars as he kept his head on a swivel as his golden feline eyes were as thin as a razor blade.

"Everyone keep an eye on your footing if we need to run you don't want to trip on a loose part of the path,"
Taiga continued in a low growl.

[info]Requested Perception check
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 5 + 8, total 13[/blockquote]
[/info]

Throndir

Tyresia
Day 4 - Late Afternoon

Traveling further into the town, the strangeness was more than unsettling. Even Jars had eventually withdrawn his own weapon as well. Though, typically having weapons drawn especially in a Rakian town would have been a quick trip to the barracks for questioning, the fact there were no guards in the first place was worrisome.

Eventually the group made it to the town hall, yet there were wooden boards all across the doors and some windows barring entry. The windows themselves were broken as shattered glass was scattered along the base of the building. And then you heard it. The chill sound of an ear-splitting howl coming from somewhere in the town. The sound itself echoing throughout the ghost town.

[info]Taiga's Perception: 13
There were figures in the distance, though it was hard to tell if they were running towards you, or if they were escaping from something.[/info]

It was then that a voice was heard coming from the town hall building.

"What are you doing!" The voice whispered fiercely. "Get in here and out of sight before you attract them all! There's an entrance in the back!"

[info]Stealths requested if you're attempting to move silently, otherwise just do any other action.[/info]

pringerbeam

Yuki, hearing the voice rolled her eyes and began to slink back around the building, waving everyone to follow.

[info]Stealth[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 18 + 5, total 23[/blockquote][/info]