[Mako] Chapter 1: 18th Birthday

Started by Throndir, January 04, 2019, 05:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

When you next focused on Consumer, you get the same message as before.

[okay]Focus on『Consumer』
???[/okay]Focusing on Unlimited Internet had slight changes.

[okay]Focus on『Unlimited Internet』
Ability to summon an internet browser. Allows using internet searches from old world.[/okay]

Manzokushi

Mako was satisfied with the results for the day. This was enough information to help him in working up a solution or at least a base line for a course of action. It would take time to cultivate these new found gifts and likely lots of possible outcomes. A good montage will certainly help with this but for now he needed to work with his parents and figure out why they were excluded from being selected for abilities.
The chess board began to spin in his head from the old life. Patterns began to emerge and he could see the potential tactical outcomes. His previous life was an amazing landscape of probability prediction and pattern recognition. He was born to be a strategist this was something he would need to polish based in this new world.

The most likely reason was on purpose. His parents wanted them to be secluded to live peaceful lives. He knew very little about their lives before he was born. Perhaps a mystery was there as well.

Exit room

Location: New World - Isikawa Sovereignty - Tamajima Village - Ikeda Home - Living Room
Date: Day 1 – Evening

There discussion was of no surprise to Mako as he walked back in. He blushed a bit at the mention of courtship and the possibility of a wife.

Uhmm...he cleared his throat to announce his presence, "I would like to talk with you two about why we have been passed over on our "abilities." I know that we as a family me included possess a great deal of mana."

He looks to each of them awaiting an answer.

Throndir

Location: New World - Isikawa Sovereignty - Tamajima Village - Ikeda Home - Living Room
Date: Day 1 – Evening

It was strange, as you had memories of both this father, and the father you had in the other world. At your statement, your parents looked at each other, than your father sighed.

"Mako..." Your father began. "How... do you know this?" When your father began to speak, your mother moved over to him as well and sat down next to him.

"We used to be soldiers of the imperial army. Your father was a swordsman, and I was a mage. Your father and I barely survived back then... Our company was mistaken for dead... But instead of coming back to report. We decided to try to live peacefully... here. We changed our names, and had been living here since."

"When we first had you tested for magic when you were young, it was determined that you weren't compatible with any of the elements. And as a father, I was glad. You see... If you were compatible with any of them, they would have taken you away to train you to become a soldier."

Manzokushi

At first a wave of betrayal washed over him but it quickly passed. A young man growing up would typically not have a lot of questions of the past. After all it is human nature to accept things as they were. He was nodding to himself sagely...WAKE UP YOU IDOIT this is YOUR BACKSTORY!!! A child of Soldiers sent escaped a life of war to become farmers. This was the perfect setup to any video game.
His parents likely observed a swirling mix of emotions pass over his face and his eyes betray him with excitement for a few moments, before regaining his composure. "I have so many questions." He trailed off with that brief statement.

After he was finally able to gather his composure, his demeanor seemed to shift to a more analytical scientific appearance, "It's hard to explain, but not long after I went to my room, I took some time to mediate on the day. While in meditation, I sensed a well of power lying within me. I am not certain why I do not have an element but I do know that I posses a great deal of raw power, similar in scope to each of yours. "

It was worth testing to see if they could see it to.

He stretched out his hand and focused on manifesting the energy once more enshrouding his hand. "So far when I draw this power out, it does not appear to take on a visible form or shape. Perhaps you two can help me in understanding what this is."

Spellcraft
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+6 : 19 + 6, total 25[/blockquote]

Throndir

In your hands again, you willed it to glow with the power of mana. The father scrunched up his eyebrows, he looked at your hands, but he couldn't see what you saw. Your mother looked as well, but she was at first, just like her father, but then something dawned on her.

"Mako... What you're describing is mana. It's not something people can see, but, it's something the caster can feel. Are you...?" Your mother stood up, heading towards you. Once she was close enough, she spread her hands in front of her as well.

"When new mages are taught... They are first taught to sense the mana, then to pull it out of them. In much the same way you are doing now. Imagining pulling it out with your very hands is the easiest way to learn. This... Usually takes a learning mage months or even years to accomplish... Where did you learn this?" Your mother looked at curiously, with a hint of amazement in her eyes.

"There is mana in almost everything, though, there are more of it in humans. A stronger human would have more of it than a child, too, for example. It's been many years since..." Your mother closed her eyes then, and with her hands still open-palmed, you saw a similar glow appear in her hands.

"Mana is invisible... But you feel it. It's something tangible when it comes to using magic. I can't believe you have the talent for-"

Before you mother could finish you father spoke.

"No. Absolutely not. You start learning magic, before you know it, you'll be fighting in that war too."

Manzokushi

At last things began to make sense. As his parents started to peel back layers of the onion the mystery started to take shape.

He turned to his mom beaming with a smile, "While I meditated the notion of drawing this power out came to me. I could sense it was there in my body, and I desperately wanted to see what it was. So I relaxed my body and allowed it to flow through me. At first it flowed to my third eye and that allowed me to sense that you both had mana. I then was able to collate it into my hands."

Mako was proud of himself and apparently he was indeed a Wizard!!! I must quickly learn from the mistakes of Gandalf and Harry Potter. Wait those are terrible measuring sticks. Maybe mother is likely the better person to look towards. His mind was still a bit chaotic with topics racing in and out of his mind.

He looked to his mother again pleading in his eyes to understand. He knew his father would not approve that was stereotypical after all. This was the time to take responsibility to show that I understood the consequences.

Mako looked to his father and mother, "I know that you two left the war and chose this life of peace. This life has allowed me to both grow and learn why it is important to protect the things that I love. You two mean the world to me but I know that I am destined for great things. I feel it would be better if you two would teach me rather than let me go at this alone."

What should I tell them how much should they know. Too much would make him sound like a crazy person and he might well get locked up. He could possibly spin a story of hero's birth but that to could end badly. So the truth or well a version of it should suffice.

His thoughts flowed naturally as he attempted to explain, "Father, this sword as I wield it my body possess memory of it. I have proficiency and understanding of how to use this weapon that I should not possess. I am a natural and perhaps a naturally talented mage as well. I must understand what that means. Would you deny me my destiny?"

His eyes and expressions carried with them sorrow as he poured out his hearts ambition. This was a request that knew would bring pain but it was one that Mako was certain was necessary in order to sway his father.

Throndir

Your father sighed.

"I don't understand what you mean by already having memory of the sword. But I thought like you once, long ago. I was a step above the other soldiers with my swordsmanship. Before that I had been training under a master as well. I thought it was my destiny too, to help fight. But once you start... It's hard to get back to a normal life. If I didn't meet your mother, I'd probably be dead by now. Our home might not be much... But we built this for you, son. Even if we have to sell most of the things we grow for cheap to the imperial city, we have our own place here, safe from the war."

QuoteGo ahead and roll diplomacy along with your response

Manzokushi

Mako looked to his father the confusion obviously in his eyes, but that was the bait after all. He had to prove that he was capable beyond normal the average citizen. He had to show that he was indeed chosen and born for this duty.

It was standard to become proficient before departing on your first quest. He needed a class after all. "Father and mother I will hopefully prove today that I am capable of the duty that I was born for. Once you do agree to my training I will not leave here until I am ready, that is promise."

Diplomacy Check
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 6, total 6[/blockquote]

Closing his eyes Mako again allowed the past memories to flow into his mind, picking apart the similarities and focusing specifically on kendo and all of its art forms. He specifically sought out maneuvers that were obviously advanced and not something he would have ever learned on the farm.

He then stepped into those forms allowing the katana to dance around him moving in a form that was certainly complex and well beyond anything he should know or have been taught.

Acrobatics Check:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 9 + 8, total 17[/blockquote]

The last piece would be more difficult but it was worth a try. He needed to impress them to know that he was capable.

As he finished the last form, he allowed the blade to settle into a prepared stance, displaying the intent to engage your opponent.

He reached down into his power drawing it back up through his body and extending it to wrap around the blade. He envisioned the air molecules that surrounded the blade, condensing down tightly around the blade. The idea was to tighten the air and then force it to vibrate. The friction of the air along with the tight space should produce fire, he hope, if not it was worth a try.

Spellcraft Check:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+6 : 19 + 6, total 25[/blockquote]

Throndir

[info]Diplomacy: 6 & Acrobatics: 17
You father frowned.[/info]

"The movements of a kata. I don't know where you learned this son... But your movements are pretty sharp. I'll give you that. However, you are not to learn any of this nonsense and get yourself killed."

"Daiji..." Your mom pleaded along with you. "Trust me that its rare to see a talent like our son's... We should be encouraging."

Your father held up a hand. Then he learned sternly at you, and then towards your mother. He sighed.

"Fine... But only after you prove yourself Mako. I'll give you a week, on the 7th day we are to duel. The first one to strike and land a solid hit would be declared the winner. If you can't best me, then you have no chance out in the real world."

When you attempted to gather and shape the mana around the sword, it was a difficult task, and eventually the mana dispersed.

QuoteYou are attempting a Technique, you'll have to train for it properly. For your particular track It's either

Apply Mana -> Sharpened Blade

or

Sense Ki -> Use Ki  -> Elemental Affinity (fire) -> Elemental Combat (fire)

Manzokushi

Mako felt his father's eye studying his movements as he drifted through the various stances and maneuvers. Once it was all said and done he was not surprised by his father's statements. He had hoped for a diplomatic solution but when it came to strong willed parents the most likely course inevitably would be head on.

The power did not shape the way he had intended but for now he at least had a concept to work towards. Perhaps a Sword Mage of sorts. Perhaps that would be the best way to blend his talents.

He turned to his father, sheathing the katana and taking a more relaxed stance, "Otou-san, I accept your terns. I would like to ask to be excused from my chores for the next several days to allow me to time to prepare."

He then turned to his mother, "Okaa-san, would you please assist me in the basics of harnessing mana and shaping its flow. I would prefer to not hurt myself while I attempt to train and strengthen my abilities in preparation for this duel."

Mako will approach his initial discoveries of mana toward a more martial enhancement form. Body hardening, reflex increase, etc

Apply Mana -> Sharpened Blade

Throndir

"Of course Mako..." Your mom looked over to your dad for approval. Your dad simply nodded.

"Very well... Focus on your training, either with your mom, or hone your skills with the blade." He said simply. Your mother, on the other hand, looked absolutely excited.

"Make, be proud that you're a natural. To be able to sense mana on your own without any instruction is a rare feat. We could... start your first lessons tonight? Or... actually... How about tomorrow? It's... Been years since I last cast anything, or manipulated mana."

QuoteYou'll be the first going into the Mana Manipulation techniques, I have some that I brainstormed on the doc, but feel free to have suggestions as well and help me build the system. Keep in mind I separate Mana to Ki, so even if they can be used interchangeably and potentially stack, there are some differences too, so I'll have final say whether or not something belongs under Mana Manipulation or a Ki Manipulation. An easy way to think about it, is that Ki cannot usually be 'shared' and is more attuned to the living being, while Mana can inhabit weapons or other inanimate objects as long as that particular container can hold it. Generally casters use Mana, but there are ways a swordsman can make use of it, one such is the Sharpened Blade technique.

Manzokushi

Well everything was certainly going to plan. Piss off pops check, make mom happy check, and last of all go on an adventure (pending resolution). Things were shaping up for Mako to either become a powerful adventure or a very smart farmer. All fun aside though...

Mako looked to his father, bowed deeply, "Thank you for the opportunity to test my prowess, Otou-san, I will make you proud."

His father would return the bow and then likely left the room obviously displeased with the entire affair.

"Okaa-san, I cannot thank you enough for the chance to learn from you. I would like time in the late evenings to meditate and will plan to train with the blade at first light. Perhaps after lunch, we can focus on my knowledge of the magical arts?"

Mako will train with his katana and practice from sunrise until lunch time. Then break for lunch and turn his focus on his training in Elemental Magic with his mother until just before bed time. The last part of his evening will be using Unlimited Internet to study Youtube videos and less conventional katana styles. All in preparation for duel that he knew would be a great test."

4 Hours Practicing Katana
8 Hours Practicing Magic
4 Hours Studying Sword Styles (Unlimited Internet) / Meditation (Reflect on the Day and review failures / shortfalls)
8 Hours Resting

Focusing practice on Air Magic. How infuse into self to enhance agility / speed. This is my first focus.

Manzokushi

Weapon Focus Katana Training
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 10 + 8, total 18[/blockquote]

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 20 + 8, total 28[/blockquote]

Constitution Check
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 5 + 8, total 13[/blockquote]

Enchant Magic Training
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 13 + 8, total 21[/blockquote]

Enchant Magic Training
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 2 + 8, total 10[/blockquote]

Constitution Check
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 10 + 8, total 18[/blockquote]

Throndir

"Then rest well, Mako, tomorrow, we'll begin you're training in magic."

Date: Day 2 - Throughout the day

You begin your training, after getting a full night's rest, you end up spending a full 16 hours on training. Equally spaced out between martial training and magic training.

Your mother soon found out that you were most interested in enchantment, and she had begun teaching you how it works. From that, you found out that casting a spell, at east the way your mother was trained, started with gathering mana to your hands, and then imagining a spell to be cast with that mana. If it worked, an incantation will form in your mind. Speaking those words outloud and willing the mana to form a spell, it will become the spell that you picture. Casting a spell was made out of multiple components.

First, an idea of the spell you want to cast, and the prerequisite mana.

Secondly, reciting the incantation that comes to mind, this always begins by first invoking one of the elements.

Thirdly, speaking the keyword of the spell that finally invokes and released the magic that was defined in the incantation.

Your mother cast a few spells as well. From her, you found out that her attribute she was familiar with was only fire. As for you, you soon found out that you were compatible with Fire, Water, Earth, and Air magic.

"Oh fire! Flames of my soul, gather and create. Conjure Flames!"

You trained for most the day. But the end of it you were completely exhausted.

QuoteExhausted condition, not that it affects you since you'll be resting again tonight.

You can work with me to define your spells. Just give me a list of how you want them to be, and I'll pump out some samples.

Trainings
Weapon Focus (katana): 4/8
Enchant: 1/8

Manzokushi

This was exactly what Mako had craved. He at last felt alive like he had awoken from a coma. His life had indeed been one of peace and it was great. He felt that the day had progressed well and he was extremely exhausted. He spent little time eating, thanked his mother with haste for her patience and quickly wrapped up his end of day routine. It was time to rest and prepare for another day of harsh training and new discoveries.

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 1 + 8, total 9[/blockquote]

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 13 + 8, total 21[/blockquote]

Constitution Check
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 12 + 8, total 20[/blockquote]

Enchant Magic Training
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 6 + 8, total 14[/blockquote]

Enchant Magic Training
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 16 + 8, total 24[/blockquote]

Constitution Check
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 16 + 8, total 24[/blockquote]