[Leela] Chapter 3.1: On the Way to the Goblin Village

Started by Ella, December 23, 2018, 12:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ella

Leela Steading

Five minutes passed as Leela continued to watch the scenery. Ten minutes passed. Twenty minutes passed. Thirty minutes passed before Leela decided she could handle only so much of the landscape. Sure, knowing the path from Roshandan Castle to the goblin village would be good to know, but the longer she sat there looking out at the scenery, the more Leela wondered if she should bother at that point in time. She kept thinking about everything as if she intended to stay in Roshandan after rescuing Ashaki, yet she would rather be back home in her own world. Sure, this world had some interesting things that she liked, but she was not sure they made up for the entire life that she had built in her own world.

Reminding herself of that, the young woman requested a more exact time estimate for their arrival. Upon hearing that they had another two and a half hours or so, she decided that she might as well chat with Zavan about things. She still did not want to bring up her blessings and the thing he was going to teach her until they were on their way to the human settlements as she wanted to make sure she had time to persuade Abi not to go telling everyone about it.

"So... Other than forming contracts and using blessings, can mana be used for other things? Can I cast spells?" She asked Zavan.

Throndir

"With mana? Yes... In fact, as a summoned hero, the process should come easier to you than most normal people. You are similar to an existence like the demons, being able to manipulate mana with ease. Most humans take time to figure it out. Even the first basic step of sensing mana, can take them months or years to accomplish."

Zavan's eyes flashed.

"You would you like me to teach you lady Leela-sama?" Zavan asked.

"Magic in this world... This 'New World', is special in it. There's a force that seems to guide the nature of magicka and spells. Almost like something part of nature itself." Zavan explained. "In Lord Ghorat's world... magic worked differently, which is why when we use magic, its invoked in a different way. The teaching of that kind of magic... Is more difficult. But at least, I can teach you how the magic works for the inhabitants of this world."

"You start most spells with mana, it is the fuel, so to speak, that will power your ability to manipulate the world around you. Like before with the contract with Abi. Imagine pulling this mana from deep within you, drawing it out to your hands... At that moment, imagine a spell born from the 4 elements of Fire, Water, Earth, and Air. How it will look like... How it will be used... What you want it to do."

"Keep in mind, that it should be simple... And when you think of how that spell will form, words will appear in your head. This is what I mean that the magicka in the New World is guided. Normally... Finding the incantation within yourself is a process that takes many hours of study and practice... But here... Try it out."

QuoteYou're able to now cast spells, define them in your character sheet, let me know if you need help, likewise you can just describe what you want it to do, give it a name, and an effect, and I'll figure out the mechanics. Elemental Magicka doc is here.

Ella

Leela Steading

"Those are the only elements? Is there no light or dark magic?" She asked when Zavan brought up the four elements.

As her mana had a blue color, she wondered if she would have an easier time with the element of water. With an idea in her mind, Leela pulled her filtered water bottle and took the lid off. Cupping her hands and holding them over the opening of the bottle, she closed her eyes. She found her mana and drew a trickle of it to her hands. She wanted it to become crystal clear mineral water and fill up her water bottle. Words began to come to her, and she let them come out of her mouth without pause.

"Water, natural and pure, gather here and create Mineral Water!"

Throndir

[okay]You have gained a new title 『Spellcaster』
You have gained +1 MAG[/okay]
"There are Light and Darkness elements too in this new world. But those are a rare elemental attribute. There are actually more than those 6 elements. But for the purpose of this world's guided magic, it's those 6 that make it up. Though, the first 4 that I mentioned are the most common among mages, and should be the easiest to cast."

The moment you spoke the keyword, there was a glow, and the water bottle was full.

Abi stared wonderingly at the bottle, while Zavan stared curiously at it.

[include u=2]Leela MP Used: 1[/include]

Ella

Leela Steading

Satisfied with herself and that she had been able to do exactly what she wanted, Leela smiled. She took a sip, delighted to have good water.

"Would you like to try it?" She asked her two companions, holding it out to Zavan first as she was sure Abi would chug it down.

She wondered how much mana it had taken to do that, but she had forgotten to check how much she had prior to the spell. If Abi did chug it down, then she could check her mana and then make more to see how much it required. And since she had made mineral water, she wondered if she could infuse it with healing properties. That probably required light magic or something, though. She also wondered what sort of things darkness magic was associated with... So she asked.

"What sorts of thing can each element do? Can light magic heal? Can other elements heal? Can you fly or float with air magic? What sorts of things do people usually use dark magic for? Do you use magic?"

Throndir

"I want some! Abi wants some Leelasama! Leelasama can I try some? Please?" Abi said as she begun cupping her hands together, eyeing the bottle you held with envy.

Zavan on the other hand shook his head.

"The water looks like it's from the human lands;" Zavan commented.

"Each of the elements have different roles. Earth magic is generally used for the creation of bulwarks, or defenses. Many times Earth magic is used for construction works as well. Generally, Earth magic relies on heavy hitting stone to bludgeon their enemies. The Fire element is used by the humans as the primary attack magic. Leaving things burning and scorching enemies are effective after all. Fire magic is also used in situations where one needs to be warm, or to even warm up liquids. Water magic is primarily used by human seafarers. In battle, I've seen water be used to slice and cut their targets. Lastly Air magic has a similar role to water magic."

"Flying with Air magic from this new world's magicka system is a feat that is difficult. It is possible, though, it will likely take practice. Light and Dark magic are rare enough that among the humans perhaps only one individual in a hundred years would have the capability. Light magic is used for healing, and lighting up dark places. Whereas Dark magic can over an area with darkness, but dark magic spells generally hurt more as well."

"I can use the magic of the new world, though, I have not heavily invested myself in it as compared to the other magicka that I have learned."

Ella

Leela Steading

"What? You don't drink water that isn't red?" Leela asked, feeling a little insulted at Zavan's refusal. At least Abi was excited to try it, and Leela passed her the entire bottle. "You know that the bread you ate was made using water from human lands?"

She listened intently to his explanation on the sorts of things each element was generally used for. From the sounds of it... light and dark magic sounded extremely useful. They all seemed generally useful, but Leela could see herself using water, air, light, and darkness fairly often if she could master them. Between the two rarer magics, she was more likely to have darkness, considering she was summoned as a demon hero. That was a little disappointing, as she really wanted to be able to use light magic.

"Which elements can you use? If magic from your own world can still be used here, do think you could still try to teach it to me?"

Throndir

"It is not that, I simply am not thirsty at the moment..." Zavan said attempting to deflect the attention.

"As for the elements I can use with the magic in this world... That would be Earth, Fire, and Darkness. And of course, once we have time for studies, and I can attempt to teach you."

Ella

Leela Steading

Leela was not sure she believed him after his comment about it being water from human lands, but she decided to let it slide for now. After all, he was teaching her about magic and it was best to not waste time on other things at the moment.

"I would love to learn them from you, Zavan." She told him when he answered about about the elements he could us. "And I would still like to try to learn other magics, even if they are not of this world."

From there, Leela decided to practice playing around with simple spells for each of the four elements until she felt she had a good grip on the basics, asking Zavan questions here and there about the elemental magics she was attempting to use. Since she did not want to start a fire inside the carriage, she decided to see if she could summon a little ball of fire to hover in her hands and act as a slightly larger than average candle. The incantation for that had been 'Fire, flames of my soul, gather and create. Conjure Flames!'.

She was not sure exactly what all she could do with earth, since the various animes and video games had different ideas. Sometimes earth meant rocks only, sometimes it also included plants. This was one of the things she had asked Zavan for more information on. In the end, since she had created things with water and fire, she decided to continue with that train of thought. After all, creating things in your hands to use is always useful and there did not seem to be any rules preventing her from using a spell to create differently shaped objects. She imagined her mana taking the form of sharp shards of strong stone. 'Earth, strong and merciless, gather and create Stone Shards!'

Lastly, she tried out air. She wanted to try it last because she did not want to mess up and accidentally causing a strong wind that would steer them in the wrong direction. Moving to stand away from Abi, she prepared herself for the spell. 'Air, strong as my will, spin your wind in a protective embrace around me. Wind Shield!'