[Zurlane] Chapter 3: Ride of the Valkyries

Started by Throndir, August 10, 2018, 03:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

Both you and Alvilda had been breathing hard as the sounds of battle continued to ring out from somewhere outside the now-ruined building.

Yes, I'm alright, all my systems are functional. She paused for a moment.

That was amazing... The energy output of that was greater than any personal weapon. I still have some energy reserves left to be able to start another set of scans.

But more importantly, I seem to earned a title of some sort: 'Demon Slayer'. I also seemed to have gained one point in something called 'MAG'. None of my past programming incorporated any sort of gamification to my central systems. This can be applicable to interfaces used be operators, but I see no reason to use this for AI Units such as myself. I recall there were a string of notifications that appeared in my head when we were first summoned as well. Is this something Urania left to me when we were brought here? Along with the rest of these 'locked abilities'? I cannot understand the logic of withholding control systems...

Zurlane, are you seeing any of these, or is it just me?

When you approached Alvilda and placed a hand on her shoulder, she seemed to tense up. She looked at you at first, a slight blush on her features regardless of the pain she was undoubtedly feeling, but as if there was some sadness there, she quickly glanced away.

"You saved my life back there, I wanted to thank you for that."

"Thou art my hero, mine friend and comp-" When she felt the kiss on her cheek, she immediately turned a bright red.

"You're my hero now. I have to say you're a remarkable fighter, I'm glad you're on my side."

"O-of course." Alvilda stammered. A moment later she reached out for you, attempting to hold you in an embrace.

QuoteYou can roll Agility to avoid, or Strength to forcefully stop her if you wish.

Also format change, italics will be used for internal dialogue with Aurora, just to differentiate what is spoken or not.

[info]Rough Status
Zurlane: Badly Wounded (fight  with demon), affected by Wind Shield, affected by Hardened Carapace,
Alvilda: Badly Wounded (fight with demon)[/info][include u=2]
Zurlane: -16, +5 AC Deflection, +5 AC Natural
Alvilda: -32
Demon: -111

MP Alvilda: -10
MP Aurora: -24[/include]

Licel

"I've seen the messages too Aurora. I don't know what it all means either... I wonder if... it's Urania's way of telling us she has seen what we've done... or maybe it's some sort of milestone in some greater path we're now walking. Then again what really makes sense anymore in a world where demons are real and magic happens?"

"I have some abilities I don't understand yet either... like when I first appeared here I had something called Upgrade and Mana Sensitivity appear before me along with notifications that I was leveling up... I think of these things we don't understand yet as gifts we've yet to open... maybe they're really powerful gifts we aren't ready to use yet or maybe we have to earn them. I can't wait to see the other things you'll capable of doing. Either way, you earned that title... Aurora the Demon Slayer. All the nasty things we're yet to face will sure be shaking in their boots."

"I was going to ask you Aurora, when I was getting bashed around by that demon, what did it feel like for you when the demon hit us or the wall broke and the shards pelted us. Did you feel it too? What kind of information do you receive?"

I choose not to avoid Alvilda's embrace and reciprocate. I attempt to be as gentle as I can given the pain she must be in but still tight enough that it feels comforting. While embracing I hum a little tune softly just a little bit.

"Now, let's go find somewhere we can get our wounds treated. I'll follow you." I say gently.
Thank you for letting me fight in the war.

Throndir

When you first first hit by that demon. I felt every sensation. I... was embarrassed I believe is the emotion that describes what I was feeling.

I have not felt pain before. Not in the sense that you do. I understood what it was, as I could correctly identify and offer the correct solution to any sort of wound, laceration, dismemberment, gash, or injury, but that was the first time I've actually felt it. I did not respond to any stimuli for the next 8.3 seconds after that. After I realized I was... locking... I proceeded to attempt to by-pass the restrictions on any of the 'locked abilities'. With the advanced hacking capabilities you had installed in my years ago now, I thought I could do something similar... But nothing was working. When I had given up, to instead focus on your request of scanning, that's when the system unlocked by itself.

Alvilda was genuinely happy. She smiled wide as she took in your warmth, you noticed that there was no strength in her hug however. She was doing all she can to simply lift her arms around you.

"I've... used up all mine Spirit again." Alvilda said. "Twas a necessity, so it shan't be a waste, but... Methinks I can still... fight. Mine fellow countrywomen are out thither, just beyond..." At that moment she coughed again, and you noticed there was some specks of blood in it.

Aurora spoke in your mind a moment later.

Her condition is not optimal. I do now know what this Spirit she mentions, but given her injuries and the strength of the demon we had just fought... I do not see it as wise for taking her along with us.

Licel

"I understand your concerns Aurora, but we wouldn't have survived the fight without her. Let's see if we can get her to someone who can take care of her and we'll figure out what we're going to do from there. Maybe they can patch our wounds too?"

I look in the direction that Alvilda motioned, where her friendly Valkyries are still fighting I try to listen and see if I can get a clue on how the fighting is going for them.

Perception

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+3 : 2 + 3, total 5[/blockquote]

"You can keep fight soon Alvilda, we just need to get you healed first. Here let me help you." I rush and grab my old clothes and cut them up with my sword into usable strips that I can use to make bandages and splints. "Can you help me try to ease some of her suffering Aurora?"

Heal

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+4 : 10 + 4, total 14[/blockquote]

I pick up my crossbow, reload it, and place it on my back then I attempt to pick up Alvilda as gently as I can. If my wounds are too great to carry her then I'll try and help her move a little faster and have her lean on me. We move in the direction she said we would find her allies.

Strength

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+4 : 13 + 4, total 17[/blockquote]

Throndir

[info]Perception: 5
You could not get a good direction of where the battle was taking place. You do know that it sounds relatively nearby.

Heal: 19
As you bandage her up, you realize that you'll need at least an hour, along with a proper medical kit in order to fix the most of it. For now the most you can do is bandage her wounds.

Strength: 17
You were able to move her.[/info]

When the two of you finally made your way outside the building's doors, you saw bodies of fallen valkyrie, along with demons as well. There was still fighting further out however.

You started your way there, and thankfully you didn't run into any more demons. Once the fighting's sounds started to get clearer, a familiar voice called out.

"Hero! Princess! Praytell, what hath happened? Thy wounds are grevious."

The pink-haired girl from before had a spear and a shield out. On her brow was blood as well, and you can tell that she injured her shield arm.

"Tis true this battle hath not been going well... Verily, tis unsure whether or not we can last til reinforcements arrive..."

"Tis our hero, Zurlane, that is of importance, Iona. He... is here now. No longer do we need to protect the summoning circle."

"But mine princess! If Hiedelswatch falls... the last bastion we have against the demons shalt fall as well."

"Then we flee to the countries of the south! Tis not true that we hath been shedding blood for o'er a century? We number only 40 scores of warriors... A time when we were legions are no more. Tis time the other humans to the south give us the aid that we require, ever we thought we did not need their help, but twas foolishness..."

"I know not what we are to do. You are mine princess and the queen isn't here yet. What shalt be thine plans?"

It was then that Alvilda turned towards you.

"Hero, what is it that thine warriors should do?"

Licel

"I am afraid if we continue to fight here we will take needless losses and given our numbers we have to save as many as we can. Of course Alvilda... the final say is yours but I suggest we decide on a defendable position we can pull back to and retreat, I would dispatch a runner immediately to intercept our reinforcements so that we can meet up with them at a new location and they can cover us and our wounded while we pull back in the event we be pursued by the demons. This place... is full of much valuable equipment. We should try and save what we can and destroy the rest... then burn this place and deny them the tactical importance, perhaps scorch the fields behind us as we retreat to slow them down. We can not allow the demons to use this as a staging ground against us... and the summoning circle... we may have to find a way to destroy it... perhaps the demons will wish to use it to pull something terrible into this world? I do not know. I know that all of this will be painful to do, but we can rebuild and I will be here to assist you through it. We simply... can not repair a life lost as easily."

"Aurora, pull up anything you may have saved or remember from famous military retreats we'll have to do a lot of adapting, but maybe we can lessen the blow to our allies."

Knowledge (History)

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+9 : 1 + 9, total 10[/blockquote]

I explain to them the goals of the battle strategy known in my old world as scorched earth tactics.

"If we have any pitch and remaining archers we can alight our arrows and start to lay out flammable barrels now."

Throndir

[info]Knowledge (History)
You knew of strategies that practiced Scorched Earth. It consisted of trying to save as much as you can, and whichever couldn't be brought was simply burned or destroyed. The consequence being that even after the invaders had left, or if the land was somehow reclaimed, there wouldn't be a lot of infrastructure to work with.[/info]
A retreat in conditions such as these with buildings around... Zanalar's retreat in the 1903 Agean Wars might work. It consisted of purposefully toppling buildings at key routes in order to reduce the effective exposure of the enemy troops to our own. In that way, more of our soldiers can concentrate on retreating, and only having a narrow angle of attack for the invaders. With a narrower battlefront, there will be less casualties. General Zanalar planted explosives at various buildings and toppled them to remove access points.

"The summoning circle hath no more Spirit to make it work. Tis true that twas still lacking even whence I hath first summoned thee. Twas the blood of mine ancestors that hath given me the Spirit to fill the remainder the ritual required."

"Hero, art thou sure of this? Burning our own lands... ones we hath defended for o'er a century... Praytell, hath all our battles been for naught?"

Licel

I look over at the pink haired Valkyre. "I am getting ahead of myself, my name is Zurlane Rhomedes..." I salute. "...My apologies for not introducing myself properly earlier. What is your name?" I ask her.

I pace back and forth looking at the two injured Valkyre in front of me while I talk. "I know that you have defended this land for a long time, I know that we have found ourselves out numbered, and losing this bastion will be a great blow to the heart, but we have not lost the war..."I slam my fist into my palm. "...We have everything we need to win this war but we must change strategies and we cannot afford to let our feelings come before what it takes to win, those that have died here today knew that their deaths were a possibility and they gave them up willingly so that we may continue on in their names for victory! There will be many painful things that we must do, but we need to prioritize maintaining the resources we have here today, mainly are weapons, armor, food, and manpower." I take in and let out a deep breath.

I gesture with an open hand to Alvilda "Princess Alvilda, you will be the face of our resistance, you are beloved and you give your people hope. We must prioritize getting you out of here. We will have to go underground for now and fight like a resistance. With less than 40 score remaining we are no longer an army and fighting them head on is suicide. Keep your head up though, we can do great damage to their supply lines if we are smart we can cause chaos among their ranks with precision strikes and assassinations, we can win this, we can take back the momentum, and through little victories we can encourage others to rally to our cause and banish these demons from our land for good!"

I gesture to the pink haired Valkyre. "I know what I am asking you to do goes against much of what you stand for, but we can do hard things and we have each other to lean on, we are a family all united against a great evil and we will retake this place... We will never forget what has happened and we will build a monument here one day... together. Your battles have not been all for naught, in fact they have bought us this moment."

My attention returns equally to the two Valkyre in front. "You know this land better than me... do you know of anywhere that we can go that is large enough to serve as our new command center? We need space for an infirmary, storehouse, barracks, we need space to grow food or animals we can hunt, we need space to repair and replace our weapons, and it has to be defendable should we be discovered and have to hold the line again or retreat. Is anything coming to mind? An abandoned fortress, somewhere underground perhaps? Once we establish a new base we can begin to request assistance from the humans to the south... maybe they can offer at least supplies for now..."

I then look into Alvilda's eyes and do not say anything for a moment. Then say: "Shall we sound the retreat?"

In the meantime I also say to Aurora. "Aurora, are you still able to run simulations? What are the minimum requirements we'll need to maintain a standing force of around 800 people?"

Throndir

"I am called Iona Stendahl." Iona said slightly blushing from your attention, but it was brief. "I am the High General of the Valenhom Valkyrie Sisterhood."

At that moment, the valkyrie started to reach out towards you, it looked very similar to what Alvilda had first done when you had first met her back in the summoning room. However this time Alvilda stepped into the way.

"Iona, no. Tis not the time, our hero Zurlane wouldn't... appreciate it either." Alvilda said, the princess placed a hand on her general's shoulder however. "Mayhaps when we are past this ordeal."

The pink-haired valkyrie hesitated for a moment, but she eventually bowed her head.

"Of course mine princess. The blood of our people have waned thin..." You notice that the pink-haired valkyrie looking almost hungrily at you.

"Mayhaps indeed after this ordeal." She finally stated.

"Send word to Eydis then High General. Prithee thou tells her to sound the retreat. We shalt rendezvous with the reinforcements from our Queen. We cannot lose another one of us."

Once Iona turned to leave, Alvilda then turned towards you.

"Tis mine regret to inform thee thither no such other bastions to the south. Hiedelswatch twas our final stronghold of our kingdom of Hierdsvain... When we leave, tis be the end of our kingdom." Her eyes were somber.

Running simulations... It took a couple seconds, then she finally responded again. With Heidelswatch being abandoned, that would mean the homelands of their people would be undefended. I am assuming that they generate most of their food and supplies from these lands to the south, or perhaps goodwill from their neighboring countries southwards. If we are to maintain housing for 800 individuals, we will need to secure a steady supply of food and supplies. Repurposing existing infrastructure will prove more efficient than creating new ones. Assuming the valkyrie are anatomically similar to humans on our world, we will need a minimum of 400 pounds of food daily consumption for strict rationing. With the lack of proper shelter, the risk for sickness spreads as well.

Licel

"There must be something somewhere around here Alvilda. Ruins, legends, anything we can use I... something to the North, East, or West if the South won't do..." When I see the sadness in her eyes I am frozen.

"Alvilda..." I walk over to her "... I know things must be frightening and there is much uncertainty still to come but... let me show you something..." I gently take both of her hands. "Close your eyes." When she closes her eyes I take one of her hands and place it on my neck where my armor does not cover, I hold the other hand tightly. "Do you feel my heart beating?" I take a deep breath.

"Lands change hands and borders move all the time, it is only the nature of the world. What we feel inside is what is important. A kingdom is not defined by the land it holds, but by the resolution of its people. Your people's banner will continue to fly and we will rally behind it for many years to come. I have... I have learned a lot in this brief time that I have spent here, I have felt a range of emotions and feelings and... I will fight for your cause I will help you see it through. I will fight for you Alvilda because... because..." I swallow.

"I... My... My heart beats for you too..."

I look down and say out loud so that both of them can hear me. "Aurora... Alvilda... I... I wish that I could live in a world where there was no war... With you both... that we could just... be happy. I... I... would hope you would like each other too... That we could run away from it all there would be no demons... I wish to be honest... You are both so lovely and kind and..." My eyes fill up with tears.

"Alvilda, the star that I told you about... it was a story to try to explain my past with Aurora. I am from a land very different from this where others fight in very different ways... Aurora lives inside of me and shares my very body and soul with me. She has always been with me but in my past life I was never able to... set her free. Here in this world... a world of magics I may be able to do that, to give her, her own soul and body and free choice. It was her who used the power that we used to strike down the demon together that came from me. She is able to experience all of her sensations through me as well... She can hear when you speak too and she can talk to me, but she can not directly talk to you..."

"Aurora would you like me to say anything to Alvilda?" I say out loud.

After she has told me what to say I continue. "I am sorry, I just... I love you both... Having you both near to me brings me comfort and joy and I want to be genuine for you." I stand arms raised. "I wish for you to see that I have nothing to hide and that my feelings are pure."

"What do you... both of you... what do you think of me?" I say out loud with hesitation in my voice.

Throndir

Alvilda shook her head.

"Tis true that Hiedelswatch is all that's left. The stronghold of Hiedelswatch twas originally meant as a fortress potentially for invaders to the south. Ever since the war... Betwixt here and Antwarch Kingdom are naught but farmland and homes. I thanketh our goddess that we art on good terms with the humans to the south. Though, they too have all they can handleth with the threat of demons from the west."

"Pushing towards the north... There are ruins... Ruins of Hierdsvain's legacy. Splendid cities, paved with the smoothest marble, built with our countrywomen's best crafters... Tis but a ruin now. Everything north of Heidelswatch is gone. Millions hath already perished. We are a dead race, Zurlane. 40 score warriors remain. If we art to include their families... Perhaps then we number 100 score. Our allies to our south have continually given us aid, they know of our plight... But they to have their own demons to fight. Most of the world's fighting people are on the front lines, dying every day."

When you explained about Aurora that she was the one who helped take down the demon from earlier, Alvilda's eyes widened in curiosity.

"I hath thought that to be the hero's power... Aurora is one who is with thee? That star thou speak of? What is... thy true companion saying?" Alvilda asked carefully, though it was hard to read her.

It took a moment, but Aurora finally spoke.

Tell her... I... I... do not know. These... emotions are too much for me to process Zurlane. They are something I've never felt before. When before I would know how to respond or say, with the inclusion of these emotions, and Urania's gift, it leads me to not be able to think straight, or become at a loss for words. When I look upon Alvilda, and see how close you two have become, something pulls at me, though, I do not yet know what it is. Tell her... Tell her I said 'Thank you'. And that... 'I wish to get along with you as well'. She is your companion now too, Zurlane? Like... me?

Licel

Everything that had happened from his death to reincarnation to fighting demons to now advising Valkyre to retreat became too much for Zurlane. His head began to spin, his emotions ripped to pieces and his mental state fraying. It was madness, all of it to him. His heart was twisted into so many knots and combined with the pain from his engagement earlier and his confession to Aurora and Alvilda it all became too much. He could feel everything in him bubbling out. Without being able to respond to Alvilda he turned around fell to his knees and began to retch. In his dry heaving nothing came out of him and he was incredibly uncomfortable.

"I am sorry." "I am sorry" I say once in my head and once out loud.

I roll over onto my side. I grasp at the grass that I have buried my face into, I sit up and look at Alvilda. "Aurora says thank you and that she wishes to get along with you as well." I slowly stand up I feel dead and toxic.

I look towards the east "She is different Aurora, she is not my companion like you. She needs a hero. She needs... you... I think. I don't know how to help them Aurora. I'm scared. I... I... when she looked at me and saw a hero and a man... I tried to become one, tried to be a hero with a big heart and I tried to fill it with everyone in the whole world who was hurting and now I've just confused everyone and everything. I've confused and hurt you and I've certainly confused her. Will you help me? Will you... accept my apology"

"In a way we are one in the same. Two heroes in one body" I say, I cross my fingers and try to bring the color back into my face, remembering a happy memory. My face returns to look at Alvilda's. "Please... accept my apology... I... spoke out of line. A lot of things have happened since I got here and... even more happened before I was summoned here."

Changing the subject looking uncomfortable. "Now... when we meet up with the queen and her forces we will certainly formulate our next plan. All can not be lost. Why we might even be able to orchestrate a counter attack to take it back Hiedelswatch if we are tactical and careful. We have options Alvilda we just have to be optimistic."

Throndir

Words flashed in your head.

[okay]Darkness attribute unlocked.
You have gained a new title『Wielder of Darkness』
You have gained +1 MAG[/okay]
Please... Zurlane, don't say you are sorry... I believe that it is I who is lacking. I am very much a part of you as you are to me, you are my operator, where you go, I will follow. That would never change, I was with you in life, and I was there with you in death. Even now... in whatever state we are in, this new world and this new life, I am still with you, am I not?

I will not accept your apology.

For you have nothing to apologize for.

"Then... Aurora? Tis my sinceret wish to be beside thee if it mayeth let me be with Zurlane too. Ever hath my people waited for his coming... and he is finally here."

Alvilda then moved closer to you, and reached out for your hand.

"Prithee, take away thy sadness." With that she stepped up on her toes, reaching for you.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Licel

Zurlane saw the words flash in his mind and he stood there for a moment. As quickly as the words appeared before him they vanished and so too did their purpose and meaning leave with them. They did not matter. He let the smells, the sounds, everything he could feel wash over him like a cliff face being battered in a storm. He felt them raw. He let all of his feelings pool and crystallize, they stung, they healed, and they left him with a sense of bitter sweet. It was something he could hold onto. It was tangible. He was alive, and he felt human again. He fully accepted that this place was now his home. He looked up at the sky and imagined that he could see Urania, he pictured in his mind her blue eyes looking down at him like the sky and he wished to thank her.

I closed my eyes. "Thank you Aurora... I will... I will try not to let you down." I take a deep breath "What should we do now?"

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Then... Aurora? Tis my sinceret wish to be beside thee if it mayeth let me be with Zurlane too. Ever hath my people waited for his coming... and he is finally here."

I smile weakly.

As Alvilda reaches her hand out and moves closer to me I reach my hand out as well and take her hand gently my eyes looking deeply into hers for answers to questions even I can not fathom. As if I was looking into the endlessness of space.

As she stands on her toes and reaches towards me I reply quietly, almost in a hoarse whisper. "Can... you show me how to... take it away?"

Throndir

Alvilda smiled, then lightly pecked your lips.

[okay]You have gained a new title 『First to Kiss』
You have gained +1 CHA[/okay]"Another time, mine hero. Tis not fair to Iona." She stepped back again to consider your reaction. There was a faint blush on her features.

"Let us be off." She looked slightly sad, but she seemed happy at the same time. A moment later words flashed in your mind again.

[okay]You have gained +1 reputation with Alvilda.[/okay]
QuoteI was keeping track of Reputation in secret, but I think it'll be fun to include them publicly.