Jean Valois

Started by pringerbeam, July 26, 2018, 02:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pringerbeam

Character sheet link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iLA6pXcjPnAYP8cZsYBRxpDrT-x3tzmvodGiPudSTNs/edit#gid=1198968754
Name: Jean Valois (Jean as in Jean Luc)
Country of Origin: USA
Origin Year Estimate: 2010ish
Quirks: Enjoys combat in a masochistic way (doesn't know this yet)
Hobbies: Reading, Watching documentaries, Wandering the shelves of libraries
Personality:  Brash and quick to anger but also historically afraid of confrontation.  Endlessly self critical and easily despairs in social situations.
Intellectual capability:  Above average, extremely well read and intellectually curious.
Physical capability:  Average, doesn't exercise but is still at an age where natural metabolism keeps him decently lean
Dislikes: Arguing, Throwing things away that can be fixed, Disorganization
Strengths: Thrives on physical pain and combat
Weaknesses:  Doesn't think through his problems that long before acting
Miscellany:
-Not sure if this is asking too much but would like to have powers associated with tentacles, possibly growing from him or maybe just manifesting in some way when he does stuff.
-Would like to keep the book (see vignette) on his trip to the new world.  Don't have any ideas about the book itself really at this point beyond it being a possible magical item.
Abilities
str 10, dex 10, con 12, int 14, wis 10, cha 8

Biography (Short)
   Lived a quiet life and was able to start working in a massive library after college, his dream job.  Unfortunately, he was fired from his job when he got into an altercation with his boss over a strange book found in the library and ended up unemployed.  Trying to clear his head and figure out what to do with his life, he went on a cruise.  On this cruise he encountered some unknown force which ended with him drowning in the ocean and dragged into the briny darkness by tentacles.

Death Vignette
   "Another round dear therapist."  Says the inebriated young man at the bar.  Jean looks from his empty glass to the aged book sitting on the bar counter.  He ran his fingers along the embossed leather of the cover, tracing the intricate patterns absentmindedly as he waits for the bartender to return with the bottle of scotch.  "Well, I hope you were worth it."  He says to the tome.  His mind wandered back to the fight that ended his career.  "What could that idiot have possibly been thinking selling you off?"
   It had all started with a simple check of the library's shelves.  Jean found the book in the physics section, clearly out of place, and had tried to find the proper place for the unlabeled mystery.  But there was no record of the book, or clues to where it even came from.  It appeared to be written in latin or some similar dialect, Jean wasn't totally sure as he didn't know much beyond a few basic words.  Intrigued and excited at his find, he brought the book to his supervisor and was shocked when, after also finding no record of the book, his boss tried to take the book to sell as a curio.  The two of them got into an argument and in a surprising fit of anger Jean punched his supervisor square in the jaw which quickly lead to his summary termination.  That was a week ago, how convenient that he was about to get on a cruise to celebrate his first year of work in that library when he lost the very same job he was hoping to celebrate.
   "Alone?"  Jean was drawn from his memory by the soft feminine voice.  He looked to the young woman sitting at the bar next to him.  She looked to be the same age as him and dressed in a swimsuit covered with the most minimal of clothing.  "Alone? No, I have all the distilleries of the scottish highlands to keep me company.  What about you?  Any friends to keep you company?"  She giggled at this before responding.  "I guess Jose, but I had something else in mind.  Why don't you come by my cabin?"  She said as she wrote down a number on a cocktail napkin.  "I think we can make better company together someplace private."  She whispered into his ear as she stuck the napkin into his chest as she walked past to the exit to the bar.  Jean barely noticed his fingers getting wet as the bartender overpoured his glass with a slack jaw having watched the whole exchange.  "Daaaaaaaaayum tiger looks like you just hit the jackpot."  exclaimed the bartender as he wiped up the mess he had made.  Jean, still stunned by his fortune, quickly downed his drink in a hurry to stand up.  A bad idea to say the least as he coughed and sputtered the fiery liquid out to contribute to the alcohol already pooled on the counter.  He scooped up the book and hustled out onto the deck of the ship with a helpful thumbs up from the bartender. 
   Pumping his fist with a quiet "yessss" he looked out over the ocean.  The cool sea breeze blowing a refreshing breath into his lungs while he took in the view of the full moon hanging over the water, its white light illuminating the deck of the cruise ship.  "Maybe this is the upswing."  Turning to make his way to that cabin and the waiting girl, Jean's mood crashed like a boat on the reefs when he saw who was walking down the deck towards him.  "Valois, I know you have the book.  Give it to me."  His supervisor drew closer with each step as he talked.  "What the hell Steve?  You followed me on my cruise?"  He instinctively held the book to his chest as he slowly walked backwards to keep some distance between him and Steve.  "Why do you want to sell this book?  There's no way it's worth all this."  Steve continued his advance.  "This is fucking insane Steve.  What is wrong with you?"   "That book is worth millions you idiot and you could have had your cut but now I'm going to have mine."  Steve reached into his jacket and pulled out a knife.  "Shit!"  is all Jean had time to say as he ducked when Steve swung the blade at him.  Jean turned and ran down the deck.  "Fuck, fuck, fuck, FUCK!  Steve you've lost your shit."  Where's security when you need them?  Runs silently through Jean's mind while his feet do their own running.  The deck of the ship inconveniently absent of anyone that might be able to help him in his predicament.  He looked over his shoulder to see Steve keeping pace with him, not gaining ground but still uncomfortably close.  This momentary glance was brief, but enough for Jean to not notice the end of the deck and instead of taking the turn around the corner in stride, he stumbled and ran gut first into the railing, flipping over the side and landing on a wide umbrella on the deck below.  The canvas of the umbrella sending him rebounding off to the side and into a wall.
   Coughing, winded, and dizzy from the fall, Jean rolled onto his back to look up at the moon.  Was the moon that big and red before or am I...  "Fuck!"  He exclaimed again as Steve, hanging off the railing above, dropped down from the above deck to strike with his knife.  Rolling to the side, Jean just barely avoided the knife plunging into the waxed planks of the deck.  He scrambled to his feet as Steve pulled the knife from the deck.  Stumbling and yet to recover from the fall, Jean tried to make his way down the deck.  It is only a few stumbling steps before he feels a hand on his shoulder shoving him into a row of deck chairs.  Crashing into the chairs, Jean falls once again, hitting his head in the process.  Brought to his knees, Jean gripped his head in his hands.  Letting go of the book for the first time, it lies on the deck, filling Jeans view through his narrowed eyes.  Taking a hissing breath, Jean looks at one of his hands and sees blood from the wound on his head.  The blood flows from the cut on his brow into his eyes with a stinging pain and then drips down onto the book.  The dark crimson flows through the channels of the embossed leather, making the intricate designs glisten with a bright red light as the moon pulsed its own vermillion illumination onto the glimmering blood.  "This is it Jean, hand over the book so I can toss you over the side."  A tear runs from Jean's eye to mix with the blood and falls to the cover of the book.  "Is this how it ends Steve?  Over a fucking book?"
   Before Steve could answer the deck of the ship bucked beneath them.  A voice, booming like the sound of a waterfall crashing against the rocks below thundered across the ocean.  I. HAVE. FOUND. YOU.  Each word struck like a wave breaking over a storm wall, louder and clearer than anything Jean had heard before.  Steve was down on the deck when it bucked a second time, launching his several feet up before falling back face-down onto the deck.  Jean took the opportunity to try and get up himself, pulling himself up with the railing with one hand while the other took up the book once again.  Unfortunately, Steve wasn't  down for long before getting back up himself.  "Give it up Jean."  He seemed unphased by whatever was going on and reached out with one hand to accept the book while his other brandished the knife.  Jean leaned his back on the railing.  "This isn't worth it Steve!"  He said, holding up the book like a shield in front of him, the blood stains glowing with a maddeningly azure light.  "Actually, the blood stains  increase the value to the people I plan on selling it to... so yeah, it is worth it."  Jean's stomach plummeted at this.  He wasn't going to make it.  "Well..."  He tried to think at a mile a minute but his brain stumbled from the pain he was in and fell flat at the starting block.  "Well... FUCK YOU STEVE!"  was all that came out of Jean as he flipped Steve the bird and heaved himself over the railing and off the side of the cruise ship, his hand continuing to grip the book.
   Jean had a surprisingly long time to look to his impending death as he fell the dozens of feet to the water, long enough to see the ocean roiling and glowing with an eerie green light as if another sun was burning in the depth below.  "What the?"  Slipped out of his mouth before he crashed into the water flat on his belly, any air he might have thought to try and keep in his lungs bubbling out in a watery gasp.  Guess this is it.  Mused Jean to himself as he sank down into the depths towards the green light.  Without thinking he tried to breath in but his body violently disagreed and writhed without control.  He felt the water flow against his skin as he continued to sink even faster.  His brain, somehow making one last successful gasp of control, calmed his flailing limbs enough for him to think: Wait.... People don't sink.  He turned as he was pulled ever deeper to look to the light, its emerald luminescence almost blinding at this point.  He saw a great stone circle from which countless undulating tentacles ranging up to the size of buildings emanated.  As if sensing his gaze, the tentacles lashed out to grasp his limbs and with the snap of an extremely motivated anemone took him into the light.

Throndir

Great introduction! +1 on the bio. I'll make it a point to make use of your biography things to play some role  for your character. Let me make these rolls and see what comes up.

[info]-[1d100] 42
-[1d100] 44
-[1d100] 60
-[1d100] 28
-[1d100] 98
[1d100] 41
[1d100] 20
[1d100] 99
[1d100] 78
[1d100] 70
[1d100] 27
[1d100] 18
[1d100] 99
[1d100] 88
[1d100] 21[/info]

pringerbeam

[info]Lvl 40 Blessing[blockquote]Rolled 1d100 : 86, total 86[/blockquote][/info]

pringerbeam

[info]Lvl 45 Blessing[blockquote]Rolled 1d100 : 82, total 82[/blockquote][/info]

pringerbeam

[info]Lvl 50 Blessing[blockquote]Rolled 1d100 : 59, total 59[/blockquote][/info]

pringerbeam

[info]Lvl 55 Blessing[blockquote]Rolled 1d100 : 63, total 63[/blockquote][/info]

pringerbeam

[info]Retcon Rolls[blockquote]Rolled 1d100 : 59, total 59[/blockquote][blockquote]Rolled 1d100 : 96, total 96[/blockquote][blockquote]Rolled 1d100 : 2, total 2[/blockquote][/info]

pringerbeam

[info]Lvl 65 Blessing[blockquote]Rolled 1d100 : 90, total 90[/blockquote][/info]