Juror's Guilt

Started by Throndir, July 13, 2016, 10:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

Aetius:

"I guess we'll need to destroy the door then. You ready Patrissa? Give it everything you got! Every one else, let's step back."

Throndir

Patrissa began casting a spell, like before a blob of acid appeared at her fingertips as it sped towards the door.

Patrissa's spell damaged the door, but it was minor. Malgrim made a chuckling sound, but Patrissa only continued flinging her spells. One after the other the orbs of acid splashed into the wood, slowy burning away the great oak doors. But it only did minimal damage.

"You're taking pretty long." Malgrim commented icily. This caused Patrissa to glare at the hobgoblin.

"I don't see you trying to help!" Patrissa shot back.

"Let's just get out of here! Out of here!" Ebin chanted, his nerves getting to him. The half-orc, Halgrak, only shook his head.

"This isn't going to work. This isn't going to work."

But Patrissa continued at it, and soon enough as she focused her blast of spells, she managed to make a small opening. You can see the outside light. If you had to guess it was nearing 7 PM.

She panted, but smiled at her handy work. The rest of the wood from the oak was already damaged from the continuous blasts of acid, so it looked much weaker than before.

Throndir

Aetius:

"Alright. Here's what I want to do. Before we get out of here, I propose we split up and look for clues as to who or what drugged us and put us in here. This place isn't too large so it won't be long, before we have what we need to know. I know it's a little risky but we'll be in pairs. Yell if you encounter trouble and we'll all come running to your aid. I know that some of you want to seek justice on those that have hurt us and others want to put this all behind us. Well we can at least give you a clue of where to start or who to avoid should you want to put this behind us. Remember, there's no need to encounter the enemy alone." (I'll now plan how I'm going to split everyone up and where I want to go.)
(Can I have a list of everyone and their equipment again? Scrolling is a little hard.)

Throndir

Examining the group as a whole, everyone seemed fidgety. The flying axe from the first room, as well as the grandfather clock that seemed to ring over and over, left the group in an anxious state. The worse ones off seemed to be Halgrak, who continued muttering to himself, telling everyone that they were all doomed, as well as Ebin, who at times, seemed to laugh quietly to himself as his eyes shifted back and forth trying to pierce through the darkness. At the very least, with the thoughts of the trial 10 years ago still in their minds, they were at least jumpy.

Killian had his white suit and top hat with him. You didn't see any visible weapons, though he did carry a silver cane strapped to his side, as well as four darts that you managed to see attached to his clothing. In his hands was the silver flask that he continued to sip. Malgrim wore a set of hide armor, but you noticed the finely crafted spiked chain at this side the most. From seeing how he handled the weapon earlier, you knew that he was proficient with the exotic weapon. He did continue to holding that large cigar he had lit earlier still, and at times he would breathe it in, holding it in for a good few seconds before exhaling again. Sir Rekkart Cole was perhaps the most armored in the group. His shining plate armor covered most of his body, and the sections that didn't, had chainmail underneath. He had a finely crafted longsword, and with his profession as a knight, he was proficient in use with the weapon. Patrissa had no visible weapons, but she did wear a tight-fitting red silken dress. Her most prominent feature was the fire-opal amulet she had around her neck. Though you did notice that she wore a ring.

Halgrak carried a light hammer hanging at his side on a belt, as well as some tongs. He had no armor on, only choosing to wear some rough dirty clothing. His physique told you he had strength, though from the way he moved and carried himself, he was no fighter. Ebin, as short as halflings were, seemed to be around the same height as Madge. He had some thick clothes on, perhaps padded armor, and he also had what looked to be a sap on hand. His most striking feature was the jester's hat which continued making jingling sounds as he moved. Tablark wore leather, though he was unarmed. He did have a set of carpentry tools on his belt however. You do remember that Tablark mentioned if he had 'his trusty axe' so you assumed he would at least be able to fight with one if he managed to get his hands on one. Lastly Madge was wearing thick clothing, probably padded armor, a small backpack she had on her back, and lastly two visible daggers on both her sides.

(I hope the doors are visible to see on the grid map I sent earlier, but a quick description of the area again in terms of exits) To the south you see the large double doors that marked both the exit and entrance of the courthouse. There were windows too, but those were boarded up as well. One of the doors was badly damaged from Patriss's spells, and you can peer out of it from the hole that was created. To your direct east was the courtroom you were just in. To your direct west looked to be another set of matching double doors that mirrored the courtroom's. Above that door was another one, and a matching one north of the courtroom. Beyond that, further north you could see a large chandelier attached to the ceiling as well as two flights of stairs that spiraled upwards. There were windows at the other end as well, though they too were boarded up. There were two other doors to rooms to the west. And likewise there were two more doors that went to rooms to the east. You do notice one single door near the northeastern corner that pointed northwards.

Throndir

Aetius:

"Alright team. Here's how we're going to group up. Malgrim and Tablark are going to stay here by the door. I want the both of you to listen and peak outside the door and prepare if you hear something coming in. Also, if things go really far south I want you to take down the doors with your tools Tablark and you with that axe Malgrim. You're our lifeline in this and our only current escape route." "Halgrak and Ebin you are to stay and look for clues here in this room. You will also be in charge of yelling and calling out if you hear others call for help to make sure we all hear where help is needed." (I'll keep planning. )
"Killian I mainly want you to inspect this clock here. See if you can figure out what curse or whatnot was happening to it. Once you have completed that I want you to run back and forth between our groups for messages and status updates."

"Rekkart and Madge you two are going to start in at the other large double doors off from this room and then look in the room behind the single door over there. Look for anything you can take of interest. You can just keep it in your pack for now madge. We can look it over after we're all safe together." I put my hand on Rekkart's shoulder plate."I know you'll be fine."
(Ok all done planning)
"Patrissa and I will first go back to investigate the dammed axe in the other room as well as the door off from that room. We will then come help you back here." I look into Patrissa's eyes and smile. "Is everyone ready?"

Throndir

Malgrim was the first to respond.

"I'm not going to take orders from you human. But it just so happens that I was going to stand here anyways and get the damn door open. That poor excuse of a wizard couldn't even blast the door wide." Malgrim said smugly, but he soon brandished his spiked chain and began bashing on the door. Tablark went up too with some renewed vigor, examining the wood and how the the windows and doors were boarded up.

"Hastily done job or I'm not a carpenter!" Tablark exclaimed as he immediately began tracing where the nails were.

Halgrak and Ebin, already the two most insecure in the group were much more timid at their specific tasks. Halgrak continued to complain. "We'll not find anything... this place is just filled with spirits. We're stuck." Ebin, on the other hand, was a lot more fidgety, and you notice he began to nibble on his nails. Ebin was continually on alert as his eyes darted back and forth, jumping from every sound the others would make. While Halgrak didn't seem to put much effort in the investigation, and only followed after Ebin while half-heartedly searching around.

Killian nodded, but not before he placed a hand on your shoulder.

"My boy, your father would be proud to see you in action. It's a pity he wasn't able to. I'm no wizard or cleric, and by no means am I familiar with the supernatural, but I'll take a look at the clock." With that the white-suited gentlemen made his way to the grandfather clock, though you noticed he took his steps slow, almost hesitant as he came closer to the now broken piece of furniture.

Madge spoke out, clarifying the instructions.

"Are we supposed to go -in- the rooms?" Her voice quivered at first, though she tried vainly to steel her resolve.

Throndir

Madge continued to look on worryingly. But Sir Rekkart patted the halfling girl on the back an soon enough they started heading towards the western double doors. You yourself, along with Patrissa moved to the eastern doors, and back to the courtroom. The axe was still embedded into the wall. You both drew closer to it, and Patrissa placed a hand on your shoulder, and with her husky voice she spoke.

"We should be careful, it wasn't natural that the marble statue fell in just the right position for this axe to fly straight here."

Now that you were closer to the weapon. You can tell it was larger than a greataxe, in fact, it looked unwieldy to use as a normal weapon. You realize that it was an executioner's axe of some sort. It was well-crafted, and even after 10 years of neglect, it seemed to shine with some sort of brilliance, nor was the axe corroded in any way as if the ravages of time hardly did anything to the weapon.

Throndir

Aetius:

"Can you tell what sort of hex or curse is at foot here? Patrissa?"

Throndir

"Someone wants to gather everyone from 10 years ago to this site where we had the trial. I'm not sure for what purpose. As for the supposed spirit of Jarbin, there are always ghosts in the city, so it wouldn't surprise me if his soul along with the many others who were sent to trial here still linger. But if anything, those spirits never usually do us any harm. As for the axe here, it's enchanted, you can tell by the fact that there's no rust, and it looks as if it was just taken out of a forge, newly created."

Throndir

Aetius:

"Can you dispell the enchantment patrissa?"

Throndir

The wizard shook her head. "I'm not so well-versed in the arcane arts to do that. Even if I could, it would take the strongest of wizards to permanently dispel magic on an enchanted item like this."

Throndir

Aetius:

"Before we spend too much more time on this for right now we need to cover more ground and look for clues.We'll come back to it because I know this is an important piece of the clue. Let's go through that other single door over there." I point to the other door off of this room. While we're walking across the room I ask. "Patrissa, tell me about the amulet you have."

Throndir

As you begin to walk back, Patrissa was about to respond, but instead it was cut off by Malgrim's voice in the next room over.

"Stupid courthouse! You, get out of my way!" You heard what sounded to be some shuffling, followed by a thud as Madge's voice was heard next.

"Hey that hurt!" She said.

(Let me know when you walk back into the great hall, so I can describe the scene you see upon entering)

Throndir

You see Madge on the floor, next to the door that they were about to go in. Sir Rekkart was helping her back up, though from his mean look at Malgrim, you can tell he was angry. Tablark had opened a wider hole in the door, using the damage from Patrissa's spell earlier, and increasing the gap to be wide enough for an individual to squeeze through. Though for some reason or another he just frowned as he stared at the opening. Malgrim angrily strode into the next room on the west.

Throndir

Aetius:

"What happened?"