Juror's Guilt

Started by Throndir, July 13, 2016, 10:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

Aetius:

(I choose not to roll knowledge.)
I stand and hold myself in confidence and say proudly. "We are all victims of a common enemy. I suggest we work together for I will do all I can to ensure none of you fall here. Who's with me?" As I finish I ignite the crest on my shield and extend a hand to the nearest character on the ground.

Throndir

The person who took you offered hand was the female human of the group. She had auburn red hair, and as your eyes met she managed a slight smile. She was older than the halfling woman in the group, but at the same time she had a more matured aura around her. Her eyes were piercing as she looked deploy into your own eyes. You immediately noticed the fire-opal amulet she wore around her neck, and combined with the tight-fitting light red silk it only added to her appeal.

"Listen to our brave warrior." She said, her voice was lilting, almost husky in its softness. With the offered hand she finally brought herself up standing beside you. You noticed she toyed with her amulet for a moment as she began looking at the others.

"As if listening will help us get out of here!" The new voice came from the halfling lady, who finally managed to get her bearings. But though her words were pessimistic, she did push herself over to you, marking both you and the armored male human as perhaps the two most reliable in the group.

The three others who had not yet spoken: the half-orc, the halfing with the jester's hat, and Killian remained sitting. As you looked at them closer, you noticed that Killian was still unconscious, as was both the half-orc and the jester halfling.

Throndir

Aetius:

"We all need to play to our strengths. What are all of your skills?" I also ask, "Do any of you have any medical training? One of our unconscious members has a clear head wound. We should tend to them and try to rally our other unconscious members."

Throndir

"Hey!" The hobgoblin said. "No one orders Malgrim around. What is an unnamed human like you going to do about it? Huh?"

The armored human resisted the impulse to pull out his sword and engage into combat.

"As much as your kind needs to be put down under the law and arrested, our friend here has a point. My name is Sir Rekkart Cole, knight and paladin of Valtean."" The tall and sturdy human announced proudly. He had white hair, though his square jaw and chiseled features told you that even in his old age, the old knight managed to stay fit and strong.

"I be called Tablark of clan Hammergrind." The thick accented voice came from the old dwarf. "Old Tablark knows a thing or two 'bout injuries. Let me take a look." With that, the dwarf moved over to three individuals who were still unconscious.

"I'll take a look too then. All my I've lived on the streets as an entertainer. I don't have any formal training... but I know enough to be a healer. I'm Madge." The halfling girl began moving towards the halfling with the jester's hat who was still unconscious.

The female human shook her head at the proceedings.

"Unfortunately I'll be of no help. I'm a sorcerer, though it's not something I do very often." The woman's voice continued to be soft and husky. "My name is Patrissa, and now that you know all of ours, what would yours be?"

Throndir

Aetius:

"My name is Aetius Synacus. I was a soldier in the ranks of The Order of The Golden Eagle. My strength is in my shield." I look at the two of them. "Malgrim. Sir Rekkart. I appreciate your restraint even though you both feel at odds with each other. However we all are few and we could have an army of bandits or phantasms outside of this room." I walk around the room putting my hand on everyone's shoulder meeting their eyes and mustering a smile. "Our only chance to survive is to work together as some of us are still too incapacitated to fight. I suggest we all come up with a plan we'll each make a suggestion and then vote on the plan we see the most fit. Does this seem fair?"

Throndir

It was the knight of Valtean, Sir Rekkart Cole that spoke next.

"Synacus? Your father was Varius? That confirms my suspicions then. Everyone else here I recognize." The armored man said. "At first I thought you to be the culprit, being the only stranger among us. But we were the jurors for one particular case ten years ago."

The hobgoblin's voice broke the conversation a moment after.

"Gah! That doesn't change the fact someone dragged us here? And no one's claiming to take credit?" He pointed his stubby finger towards you. "You're the only one I doesn't belong. Why isn't that Varius here anyways? That old man's the only one missing in the group!"

You notice the hobgoblin look around his surroundings one more time.

"This is the courthouse in Beldrin's Bluff isn't it? I recognize this place. Abandoned, and full of ghosts no doubt, but so is the rest of the city." The hobgoblin laughed. "I'm going to the exit. For all I care the rest can rot in here."

Throndir

Aetius:

"All of you were jurors? For... what case?" I say looking at Rekkart. I turn to face him. "And Malgrim. What do you know about the spirits on this place?"

Throndir

"Gah, I'm not going to answer some basic questions for some... unknowledgable and stupid human! Let someone else explain it if you're so curious. Once I get my hands on whoever did this to me, they'll pay! No one messes with the leader of Grindle Street Shades." With that the hobgoblin began making his way to the double doors on the west side of the room. You see him knock over the prison-bar doors, noting to yourself that it was already unlocked.

"Ye'll get yourself killed, whoever did this to us is still probably around ye' durned fool." Tablark called out after him. The dwarf turned towards you, recalling the events from a decade ago.

"Nuthin' but a filthy child-murderer and wife-killer. Hangin' was too good for 'im, ya ask me. Shoulda let me give 'im a taste o' dwarven justice, with the same axe he did for his loved ones with, ya hear!" The dwarf then pointed towards the large axe sitting on the table at the southeastern corner of the room.

"That be the murderer's axe. And a'knowin' how the city's like with spirits, that killer must be hauntin'. You don't fear lads, Old Tablark's seen more ghosts than these walls 'ave rats. Nothing to quake about. We'll send this foul spirit a'packin' or me clan name ain't Hammergrind!"

The halfling girl, Madge spoke next.

"The city's always full of spirits. Though they don't usually come out until night. They are harmless... mostly. Sometimes out in the streets at night, you could hear children's laughters, or moans heard from abandoned buildings or homes. It wasn't always like this, about 15 years ago or more perhaps, but I remember when I was a child there wasn't anything scary out at night. At least nothing supernatural. The city's lost a lot of people, moving out to other places, but those who stayed here, we learned to deal with it."

Sir Rekkart nodded at both Tablark's and Madge's explanations.

"Jarbin Mord..." The knight's eyes seemed to stare off in the distance, recalling the events in the past. "Our verdict of guilty was honest. Jarbin murdered his very family, and we did justice that day, sending him to the gallows."

Throndir

Aetius:

"Here's what we have to do now. We're out of time with Malgrim making all of this noise. I'm not sure what's going on, but I've never heard of spirits poisoning people and leaving them disoriented in a court house. Priority one is that you all get out alive. We'll work together. You'll need to get the incapacitated out of here. Malgrim and I will keep them busy. Rekkart, I need you to keep the others safe. The rest of you, we'll buy you at least five minutes. Get them somewhere safe. We'll meet up again in better circumstances and figure out what's going on. Now go!" I start after Malgrim and on the way stop to grab the axe and continue to his side, shield at the ready.

Throndir

As you approach the evidence table containing the axe, you heard a creak from above. The marble statues decorated attached to the ceiling was giving way. You heard Patrissa's voice shout out in warning.

"Aetius! Watch out!" She called in alarm.

(Roll reflex, 1d20+6)

Throndir

The warning was all you needed, as you rolled forward, slamming against the wall, but enough to let the large slab of marble crash just inches away from where you expect it to fall. However, you watched in horror as the marble managed to hit the axe just so, and acting like a throw weapon, the axe that was sitting on the table was thrown across the room, spinning dangerously into the crowd that contained Madge, Tablark, and the three unconscious individuals they were talking care of: Killian, the half-orc, and the halfling with the jester's hat.

Madge managed to see the axe in time, as she narrowly ducked, avoiding the flying and spinning axe. Tablark however, wasn't as lucky, as the axe bit into him. The momentum continued hitting the unconscious Killian directly across his chest. Both the half-orc and the unconscious halfling wearing the jester's hat was hit too. The flying axe then hit the opposite wall, digging deep into the wood, latching itself tightly into the wall.

[info]Status/Damage Taken
Tablark: 2
Killian: 6
Half-Orc: 2
Jester's Hat Halfling: 3[/info]

The commotion was enough for Maldrin to stop his advance on the western door. And only drew up his weapon.

Patrissa screamed as Sir Rekkart made his way towards the group that was just attacked.

Tablark was stunned as he gripped his chest, blood pouring down his clothing. Killian too, had taken the most amount of damage, and whether or not it was from the pain or shock, the old man's eyes opened in pain. Killian's gasped continued on as the man started mumbling.

The half-orc and halfling with the jester's hat awoke as well. However, unlike Killian, these two had horror in their eyes, much like how it was when you had first awoken.

Throndir

Aetius:

"We'll have to do this the hard way then. Malgrim. I can't force you to stay. If you're going to leave, than go. If you wish to help us please help us fight together for there is strength in numbers otherwise I wish you well." I slam my spear against my shield. " Rekkart join me at my side. We need to form a defensive line while we stabilize the wounded. Then we'll move out together in formation. Madge, I leave the wounded to you. Patrissa I'll need you up fighting with us too. A mage's assistance always makes me feel at ease. Tablark, you take what you need and catch your breath. When you feel ready I'll have you take up arms and help us protect the unconscious to save your strength."

Throndir

Madge didn't have any bandages, but she managed to rip some piece of her clothing to help stem the blood coming from the wounds of the various people who were injured.

The half-orc was awake, and you notice him staring at the courtroom, much like the others first did when they first woke up.

However, the half-orc seemed to take it worse, as even in the dim light, you could tell he was shaking. He seemed to ignore the wound he had on his arm, even as Madge began patching him up.

The halfling with the jester's hat, after getting an idea of where he was, immediately had recognition strike his features.

"Get me out of here!" The halfling cried. The bells on his hat jingled in his movements, but the halfling still seemed frantic. "I... I don't want to be in here again!" He cried out again. When Madge approached him to bandage his own wounds, the halfling moved away slightly. His eyes twitchy and suspicious.

Killian who was just starting to stir, and who was first helped by Madge managed to bring himself up. Though his white suit was now stained with the red of his blood. For the most part it was stopped due to Madge's bandaging.

"My boy Aetius." Killian said as he spotted you. He glanced at everyone else, as well as his surroundings as recognition hit him much like everyone else. "Jarbin Mord." Was all he said as he opened his silver flask and took a quick drink from it.

Tablark eventually managed to regain his senses, as he fashioned a makeshift bandage for his chest.

"Careful walkin' around in 'ere." He shook his head as he tightened the bandage around him.

Meanwhile, Malgrim, pushed the western doors open, revealing an even large room.

"This is just some stupid courthouse! You stupid people can stay here as long as you like, but I'm leaving." You see him rummage through something in his pocket, pulling out what looked to be a long cigar. With his other hand he grabbed some sort of match or lighter, and it didn't take him long to get the item lit. The hobgoblin took a long and deep breathe as he prepared to move on to the next room.

Throndir

Aetius:

"It seems like for the moment we are safe. We will still be vigilant and move together. But we'll take time to treat our wounds." I take time to calm everyone down and explain the situation and everything that happened up until that point. I also introduce myself and try to learn a little about everyone who was now unconscious. Afterwards I ask: "Who is Jarbin Mord Killian?"

Throndir

As you explained the situation to Killian and the two others who were with you, the intently listened. Madge and Tablark closed up their wounds with makeshift bandages. It wasn't the most clean of jobs, but they at least stopped the bleeding. The half-orc remained skittish, and the halfling with the jester's hat, although was still jumpy, managed to calm down further. However, from this, you learned that the halfling's name was Ebin Blithoddle who worked as a jester, entertainer, and clown in the city. Likewise, the half-orc was Halgrak Five-Toes. You didn't get much information from him, as he continued to remain skittish. However, you confirmed again that these people with you were indeed jurors from that case ten years ago. You were indeed the only outsider, and seemingly you had taken your father's place in the kidnapping.

Malgrim surprisingly didn't walk out the door, he continued taking deep breathes of his cigar as he listened to both your explanation of things, as well as Killian's.

"Jarbin Mord." Killian said. "That's a name I haven't heard in years." He looked towards the other people in the courtroom.

"Ten years specifically. Jarbin Mord was a large man. Drooping mouth, and lazy-eyed. He was a mystery to almost anyone, nor did he seem to really socialize much either. However, he did have a beautiful and young wife, and with a bright child as well. Malene and Gabe Mord their names were. Jarbin was the executioner of our city back then. Whenever we had trials, and a guilty verdict was given, it was that droopy-faced Jarbin Mord who either pulled the lever to hang the criminals, or at times, if the punishment was severe enough, lop off their hands, arms, and even heads."

Killian paused then, and you can tell his thoughts were whirling up in his head.

"He was wrongly accused." At those words, all at once, Madge, Sir Rekkart, Ebin, and Tablark spoke.

"Blasphemy! Our verdict was just." The armored knight said.

"He was guilty!" Madge cried out, momentarily stopping the bandaging she was applying to the halfling, Ebin.

"How can ye' even say that! His poor wife and kid were murdered by that filthy killer's very axe!" To accentuate his point, the dwarf pointed at the axe that was embedded into the wall.

"Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!" Ebin, the jester shouted out loud in the cacophony of voices. Half a moment later, Patrissa spoke once everyone stopped talking.

"And you, Killian, along with Varius, had agreed back then as well." Patrissa stated matter-of-factly.

You notice the half'orcs features pale when Killian mentioned that he was wrongly accused. Malgrim, the hobgoblin, on the other hand, just started to laugh as he leaned against the opened western doors.

(You can roll Diplomacy, 1d20+4 targetted towards Ebin, the jester halfling, and Halgrak, the half-orc, to see what other information you might possibly get from them)