[Closed/Vladimir] Living the High Life...?

Started by Linwelin, January 05, 2016, 03:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linwelin

QuoteThis takes place just after the "Chicken Thief" point in time, described in "Life is but a Dream" (when Vladimir was around 98 years old), so about 20 years prior to the current Vladimir in the guild.

Part 1

"Such a pretty face for a street rat...a shame really." The noblewoman stated bluntly, looking down upon Vladimir, standing in the prison cell of his most recent city. "Yes, captain, this is certainly the man that pocketed my purse. Are you sure you searched him well enough?"

"Milady...the man is naked. There's nowhere left to search."

There Vladimir was, naked and on display. And framed.

"I've told you both enough, I'm not your thief. I may live on the streets, but I'm not some common pickpocket."

The woman made a 'hmph' sound, upturning her nose to the side a bit.

Gods, but this one is a stubborn one. Vladimir thought with frustration as he held a level gaze back toward both of them.

"Then explain these weapons you were carrying. A little too extravagant for a simple vagabond, don't you think? And you've not a scar on you, save for a few that must be from craftsman's tools. You're not a swordsman." The woman continued to drill into the man, intent on having him confess something.

Fine, you want a confession? I'll give you a confession.

"Not a swordsman, milady? You wound me! I'm a professional bounty hunter, Shade. As for the lack of scars, well, let's just say targets don't usually see me coming. I'm good at what I do." The part about not being hit was a lie, of course. He could never admit to the supernatural healing of his vampirism.

"Sh-Shade! You're pulling our legs, you miscreant! No one's ever seen his face, and plenty of people claim to be him!" The guard was immediately doubtful and defensive. "Besides, why would Shade live on the streets and be caught by authorities like this?"

"Who's this 'Shade' character? Someone important? Doubtful." The woman asked with a condescending tone, meant to hide her lack of knowledge. Vladimir was tempted to blurt out 'I am', but figured it would be counter-productive.

"He's a well-known bounty hunter. Doesn't go for any high-end targets, sticks to local bounties wherever he's located. But he has a near 100 percent success rate on bounties he's targeted. The sheer number of bounties, along with his general secrecy has led him to be somewhat of an urban legend in the bounty and guard business. The guard spoke excitedly, then paused and his face drooped back to a stern one as he looked to Vladimir. "This guy could never be him."

"Are you sure about that? You have my effects, correct?"

Both of them looked at him quizzically before the guard answered, "Yes? But there was nothing that stood out as interesting."

"That's because you were focused on looking for a purse, or its contents. I think you'll remember a scroll case with some papers rolled up inside. Please read one of them in more detail." Vladimir kept a stern look as the guard grumbled, grabbing Vladimir's backpack and rummaging through its contents. Once the captain popped out the scroll case, he quickly retrieved one of the documents within.

After skimming a moment, the guard's eyes widened, and he read more intently.

"What? What is it?" The woman asked with increased urgency as the captain read.

"It's a bounty writ, affirming the successful capture and reception of a serial pickpocket a few years back. The captor is listed with the alias...Shade..." Both of them look at Vladimir astonished, like a deer subjected to a wizard's Daze spell.

"Yes, as I said, I'm Shade. Which explains why a street rat was walking around with 200 gold without staying at an inn. Now that that's sorted out, let me out and give me back my belongings so I can be on my way."

"O-Of course!" The guard stammered before quickly gathering him belongings and unlocking the cell. While the captain hurried, the noblewoman asked one final question. "So you have that sort of money. If you have such funds, why not stay in an inn and make yourself look less like a crook?"

"How am I supposed to go unnoticed and get close to my targets if I don't seem like one of them? Also, staying out on the streets gives me a lower profile. Not being noticed is how I coined the name 'Shade'. Getting mistaken like this is a rare event. I happened to choose a bad place to stay for my first day in town, didn't realize it was a commonly known hideaway." Vladimir said as he quickly got into the clothing that the guard captain had returned. After he was fully clothed and geared up, Vladimir looked back to the two of them. "You're two of the few people that know Shade and I are the same person. I trust you'll keep that a secret? It's for my own safety, and now yours. So that no one comes chasing me down for revenge." They hesitate for a moment before nodding with understanding. They knew who Shade was, and that knowledge was very dangerous. If they let slip that they knew, unpleasant visitors could come knocking.

Finally, after some silence, as Vladimir was about to walk away, the woman spoke up. "Wait! If you are a renowned swordsman and hunter, might I ask a favor?"

Vladimir sighed, "You have me falsely imprisoned, force me to speak of something I shouldn't to prove my innocence, and now you want a favor? Milady, you're overreaching your station here. I've no obligation to aid you." The man kept walking. The guard returned to his post to manage Vladimir's release.

But the woman was persistent, "Alright. Not a favor, may I hire you for a time?"

"I'm not gonna bother catching your cutpurse, if that's what you're after. You spent so much time holding and questioning me that a simply theft like that has already been pawned off. So no thanks." And he continued to walk.

"No not that, I need a bodyguard! Please just stop walking so I can ask properly!" She was starting to have trouble keeping up, and was getting flustered by his constant refusals.

He stopped, and gave her a stern look. "I have it on good authority that there's a protection service for hire in this city. So why me?"

She took a quick moment to catch her breath before speaking, "Because you mentioned the importance of blending in. You're obviously practiced in it. I need someone strong to act as a noble."

Vladimir nearly guffawed. "Milady, I'm practiced at acting like a criminal. I know nothing of nobility! You'd be better off finding someone else."

"I will not! You are the right one! If cleaned up, you can easily look the part of a noble. Normal bodyguards are too obviously warriors. Your figure and stance makes you seem normal, and your skin is near-flawless. I will teach you how to act. So...please!" She clasped her hands, staring with a desperate look toward the bounty hunter.

Vladimir sighed once more, "Why do you even need someone so specific? Who are you that this would solve all your problems?"

Happy that she caught Vladimir's interest at last, she gave a slight, pleasant smile, "First, allow me to properly introduce myself. I am Lady Rosaline Merrington, of the Merrington Estate just outside town. With the passing of my husband, Henry, I inherited our wine business, and thus the workings of our vineyards. It was expected that the Merrington vineyards would collapse, but I managed to instead bring an increased profit using techniques that my late husband...refused to incorporate when I advised him. After all, what is a woman's word to a successful philanthropist?" She paused to give her potential hire a knowing smirk. "But enough about the past, the problem is the present and future. Our competition, who had been thrilled at the idea of us falling off the map, is now rather unsettled that we've pulled away from some of their profits. A couple in particular are being rather aggressive at the Merrington success. I have it on good authority that someone plans to steal those techniques at a wine tasting in a few weeks. So I plan to keep the compiled tome of them on my person during the event. I want you to be my eyes. Scope out the event for suspicious individuals, and prevent the tome from leaving my presence." Lady Rosaline turns back to Vladimir, "I will pay well, and put you up in the estate for the time you are hired. Will you help me?"

The entire time, Vladimir had been observing the lady as though sizing up a mark. Checking her habits, profiling her personality. He didn't see a way out of this. No, she might even speak of knowing him if he refused. "With how stubborn you've shown yourself to be, I don't believe I have a choice, do I?"

Lady Rosaline clapped her hands together happily, "Wonderful!" She grabbed Vladimir's hands "Yet another reason you're perfect for the job. Your intuition." She then paused in realization. "If not your...other name, how should I call you?"

Vladimir turns and raises an eyebrow, "Knowing one name brings you danger and you ask for my real name? Do you have a deathwish, milady?" Rosaline flinches at the remark, but Vladimir continues, "Though it is true you need a name to call me by...Joseph. My name is Joseph Stravilov. You may form whatever backstory you wish for me at this point. Since I'm now a noble."

Part 2

For the first time that he can remember, Vladimir rode a carriage out of town to his new temporary abode. It was decent quality, but nothing too embellished, made of deep brown wood that was possibly mahogany, and set up with red interior and curtains. Lady Rosaline was constantly asking questions about his adventures and the bounties he'd hunted. It was...nosy. But the ride was nice, and the seats were comfortable. The windows in the carriage gave a pleasant view of the plains, over which wheat, wildflowers, grass and sparse amounts of trees could be seen rolling into the horizon. A few miles out from the town, the carriage made a turn off the travel-worn main road and onto a private path. At this point, it was nearing sunset, and the entire area had turned golden with the setting sun's light. At the last moments of sunset, the carriage made its way to the estate grounds, which were also the vineyard grounds enclosed by guarded fences. Rows upon rows of posts linked with hanging cords held the grape vines above the ground, with the workers running around to finish their duties before the sun's light let up. And then, there was the house. The white manor was slightly raised, with stairs leading up to the first of three stories. There was a full porch, supported by decorative columns and banisters. It was definitely a high-end establishment, one that stretched at least a couple acres.

"That's an impressive estate..." Vladimir muttered in surprise. "I feel out of place."

"Nonsense, Joseph, you will fit right in. First, however, I'll have a bath drawn. You need it." Rosaline made purposeful eye contact, with Vladimir raising an eyebrow, then shrugging. That was one luxury he did miss while living on the streets, so he didn't really mind.

The carriage came to a stop a few paces from the stairs to the house, and the driver let down the carriage steps for Vladimir and Lady Rosaline to exit. The lady led Vladimir up toward the house, and it was then that Vladimir truly understood he was out of his element, despite Rosaline's attempted words of comfort.

"Welcome home, madam. Dinner will be ready in an hour, as per usual. Is there anything I might prepare for you in the meantime while you settle in?" A tall man, about Vladimir's height, dressed in clean, formal attire answered the door upon Lady Rosaline's approach. He had brown hair, tied back into a 6 inch pony tail, and a slightly tan complexion.

"Thank you, David. Yes, could you please draw this gentleman a bath. He's had a long journey and is in desperate need of one." Rosaline continued on into the house to take care of her own duties, leaving Vladimir at David's mercy for guidance. It was unsettling being in such a nice house all of the sudden. The floors were polished hard wood, the hearth in the room next door was stoked and warming. Gorgeous rugs, art and fine furniture decorated the walls and floors. There were times when Vladimir was breaking INTO these dwellings. To be invited in as a guest, and for work, was odd.

The servant looked Vladimir over, barely unable to suppress a look of confusion at Vladimir's presence. It was understandable, as Vlad was basically in tattered travel robes, dirty, and armed. "...Right this way, sir." David led Vladimir through the living room, and toward the lounge at the back of the house. The bathroom ended up being right through the lounge and next to the kitchen, as it had been designed to use the cooking hearth to double as a water heater. The smell from the room nearby was intoxicating, so much so that even Vladimir, who did not necessarily need to eat, was left salivating.

"It will be 20 minutes until I can draw the water for your bath, sir. May I suggest relaxing in the lounge here while you wait?" David suggests as he heads into the bathroom. Vladimir nods and goes to take a seat in a nicely cushioned chair, leaving his eyes to wander the room. It seemed that this room also doubled as a trophy room, with the heads of animals mounted on the wall along the ceiling. Notably, there was a krenshar head mounted, which have always been a fearsome creature to encounter in the plains. It was an impressive trophy. Other than those mounts, paintings also adorned the walls, a good number of which were done by Lady Rosaline. From what Vladimir saw, she was quite an accomplished painter. The last item that caught the methuselan's attention was a book shelf. Though he'd started as a simple farmer, Vladimir had learned how to read and write in the common tongue over the years he'd been alive, which at this point he estimated to be twice his expected lifetime. Since he'd gained this skill, he realized that the books one owned often said much about the owner. There were a collection of around 30 volumes; some of them were almanacs, others manuals and guidebooks, and still others historical accounts. But one that caught Vladimir's eye was a small, fictional tome that seemed to be quite worn. It seemed to be a standard common-to-heroic character development, a way to escape the mundane. The man simply smirked, and placed it back where he found it. Everyone needs inspiration in some form. That must be hers.

Shortly after, David emerged and signaled Vladimir to enter the bathroom, which ended up being another surprise. The bathroom was spacious, with a smoothed cobblestone floor, as though the creator sheered the cobblestone flat, then polished. There was a basin in which the stone tub sat, with pipes feeding into it from one of its sides to fill with water. Beside it were various soaps and otherwise to use. There was a sink on the left side of the room of similar design, with clean towels hanging beside it. Lastly there was a shower in the corner of the room for fast rinses. It was certainly the most luxurious bathing area Vladimir had seen. Which meant he wasn't about to waste the opportunity. He quickly shut the door, undressed and jumped in the bath tub. It was heavenly, and a long overdue moment of relaxation. Of course, he spent time cleaning off the grime he'd had with him for a few weeks, but as soon as he could he simply soaked. It was during the bathing thoughts that randomly flew through his mind that he realized something very important.

It will be weeks here...how am I going to obtain blood? I have enough for a few days, but I will need to find a source, or I will starve...!

Thus the rest of his time was spent thinking of a way to obtain his secret needs without causing suspicion. It was when he finally dressed and left the bathroom that it dawned on him. As he viewed the trophies, he realized the easiest solution, if the lady would buy it. Hunting!

He had been given a more formal outfit, courtier's clothing, to wear to dinner. The meal served was much better than his usual mutton. An herb roasted chicken, with russet potatoes and a spinach salad. Being a vineyard, the wine served with it was an exquisite pairing. Easily the best meal that Vladimir had in his life. But he could not allow himself to get caught in that feeling. He had the luck to be dining with the lady of the house, Rosaline. Upon first seeing him arrive in the room, she gave him a knowing smile, "I knew I had made the right choice. Those clothes suit you quite well." After a short moment of being flustered, he sat down to eat.

When he had his moment in conversation, he immediately brought up his concern. "Lady Rosaline, I was wondering if I may be able to hunt between...whatever you have planned for me these weeks. I don't wish for my senses to dull, and it could mean easier meals for the chefs. Would this be alright?"

The lady raised her eyebrows in surprise for a moment, but nodded her head as he explained his rationale. "Certainly. I wouldn't want my bodyguard getting rusty before the main event. I trust you not to be foolish and get yourself hurt?"

"Not to worry. I hunt for a living. Beasts are no exception." Vladimir affirms genuinely. The meal continues, with the occasional pleasant conversation. Lady Rosaline regaled him of the details of how she brought the vineyard business back to life, which turned out to have a lot more risk involved than he'd expected. She was much more daring than he originally gave her credit. Afterward, he returned with some of the more exceptional and even chaotic bounties he'd pursued. There was a mixture of laughter and nail-biting tension as he spoke for the rest of the meal, and around an hour afterward. Before the two of them realized, it was already time to turn in for the night.

Vladimir was shown to his room, and at this point he was becoming jaded to the luxuries thrown his way. The furnishings were similar to the rest of the house, but of course the main attraction here was the bed. Silken sheets, down pillows, and a non-hay mattress. He fell asleep almost as soon as he hit the surface, and it was the best sleep he'd had in years.

Part 3

Upon waking at around 6 in the morning, he found an outfit laid out for him already. However, he chose to let it be for now, instead opting for his usual garb. It was time to hunt. Vladimir crept toward the kitchen to speak with the cooking staff about his hunting intentions. After a bit of searching, he found and approached the head cook. "I'll be heading out shortly, but I know that the gates are well guarded here. Is there some sort of pass I should know to get back in?" He asked curiously.

"So you're Joseph, huh? You're a cautious fellow. Good! Well, it sounds like you'll be doing the hunting for us now, so you can use mine in the mornings." The burly chef before him jovially took out a badge from his pocket. "Just be sure to give it back when you return. I do need to leave the premises myself, after all." Vladimir assented and took the badge graciously, then headed out the back.

The sun was just beginning to rise as he made his way through the fields to the gate, and flashed his newly acquired badge on the way through.. As he wasn't sure what was in store for him today, Vladimir decided it was best he finished the hunt as soon as possible. It took him about 20 minutes from leaving the premises to pick up an animal trail, which seemed to be from boar. He carefully crept along it, keeping his ears perked for signs of movement. After around an hour of stalking, he heard hooves beating down the trail, and was able to peer out slightly to identify the number of the beasts moving toward him. He readied his blades waiting for the majority of the boar to pass, then suddenly pounced as the last one made its way through, plunging his rapier diagonally below its jaw, through the throat and into its heart. He then swung around and jabbed his kukri into the other side of its neck, slicing it open as he straddled it and forced it off the path. From there he drained what blood he could as it bled out, cleaned himself up, packed the boar into a large sack he'd borrowed from the chefs, and carried it back to the estate.

He ended up returning just a little past 9am, and surprised the staff with his quarry. "Such a clean kill... The head chef muttered as he examined and butchered the boar. "And most of the blood is gone, keeping it from coagulating. This is a grand boar to carve, indeed. I wish we could hire you permanently as our hunter. Though I would fear you'd hunt out the area at this rate." The chefs all share in the head chef's hearty laughter.

"Well, luckily it's only a few weeks, so I can't do too much damage." Vladimir chimes in with a smile. Vladimir bid them farewell for the day to go take a shower. He'd managed to procure around 3 vials of blood before the heart stopped beating, which meant he extended his survival for that many more days. It was enough for the week now, and he was more comfortable at that thought. After his shower, he went to get changed into the outfit that was meant for him: the courtier's clothing that was left for him in his room. Vladimir then went down to the main room to meet with Lady Rosaline.

"Well," Rosaline started as soon as she saw Vladimir enter the room, "the first order of business, Joseph, is the hair. A noble would not wear such long hair freely, especially in court." She approached with black ribbon, and motioned for Vladimir to sit in the nearby wooden chair. She combed and pulled it back tight, then tied it off with a ribbon at the base of the hairline, to make a clean ponytail. "There, much more fitting. The image is coming together. Next, the intricacies of high society. You'll need to learn proper etiquette, social approaches and dance. Three weeks' time will be enough to keep you from making a complete fool out of yourself." Rosaline stated with a wry smile.

Vladimir raised an eyebrow, returning the smile, "'A fool out of myself'? You wound me, milady. I am prime example of a courtly man!" Vladimir stands straight in a self-important pose, then loosens and laughs, Rosaline giggling with him. "What first?"

"First is your stance, as you just reminded me." She walks you over and has him stand up straight. As she circles him making comments, she taps what needs to be changed, sometimes guiding it. "Lift your chin. Square your shoulders. Straighten your back and don't slouch. Good, now walk with that in mind." Vladimir semi-stumbled forward in this posture. "Keep your pace steady. You need to make each step look purposeful. To show off your confidence and pride. Appearance and first impressions are extremely important in this social circle."

Vladimir kept focusing on one habit and forgetting another while walking, at times making it look like he'd forgotten how to walk entirely. There were brief moments that he got it, but overall it was a failed attempt. Rosaline sighed. "You are a natural in some ways, but you are too roguish for your own good here. You are unconsciously trying to make yourself less visible, when you are supposed to be eye-catching. Thank the gods we have a few weeks. You are going to need daily practice." Rosaline thinks for a moment. "In fact, I would like for you to attempt walking like that through the house from now on." She saw Vladimir stiffen at that thought and immediately started laughing. "On to the next task. Let us construct your background. To facilitate this, what is a bulk, widespread product for which you have knowledge and understanding?

Vladimir thought a moment. Throughout his life, he'd been a thief, a beggar, a lab rat, and a sailor. But way back 60 years, he'd been a farmer. He knows his livestock, tooling, animal products, and leather. "I'm pretty knowledgeable with livestock and leather. Would either of those be good for background."

"The easiest would be leather. If you know quality leather, we can have you be a leather magnate. But you have to be unknown, and they will know leather magnates." Rosaline became lost in thought this time, but Vladimir quickly offered a solution.

"I have noticed that not many in Yslia know much of the western land, Dolan. I'm from there, so I could probably pass as a Dolan noble." Vladimir stated.

Her eyes widened, "Dolan? You are from Dolan? No wonder you have such a unique look about you. I would not have thought you to be a foreigner. Then where would you recommend?" Rosaline leaned in, surprised by this turn of events.

"Hillrock was known as good land for raising goat and cattle. So I would think that would be a good province." Vladimir reasoned, holding his hand to his face then finally nodding to confirm his thoughts.

"Fantastic! Then you will be known as Joseph Stravilov, a leather trader from the Hillrock province of Dolan. This is a nice surprise. You no longer have a need to practice your background as a noble. Next is dance." Rosaline said with a smile that was a tad devious. "I wonder, how well you can hold out in this subject, Joseph?"

Vladimir gave a nervous smile. It had been decades since he last danced, and that was not any sort of formal gathering. "Time to shake off decade-old rust... He thought to himself. "I'd danced, but I have no idea if it matches your standard. It would be best to assume that I am a novice."

Rosaline cackled with glee, "At least you were honest. I would be able to tell if you were lying. Very well! Let us dance." She took him by the hand, which was a rather sudden move for a lady in Vladimir's opinion, and began to do a simple waltz at first. Since there was no music, Rosaline instead counted out the beats and led the motions. Much to both of their surprise, Vladimir did not end up stepping on her feet even once. "Good! You are not a lost cause in this, and for that I am thankful."

The two of them continued dancing for a while more, and then went straight into social etiquette, covering various types of small talk, expressions, gestures and other seemingly random subjects. As a final note for this session, Rosaline set a general rule, "One thing you must not forget is that flattery is an abused notion in noble affairs. As long as it's not overdone, flattering compliments assert humility, gentleness and politeness." Turning her voice to a less sophisticated tone, she says, "Nothing turns a noble in your favor more than telling them how great they are." She winks at this, and Vladimir busts a gut, having not expected the dry remark.

With that, the class was ended, and it was already early evening. From that point onward, Vladimir followed that same routine schedule. he hunted in the morning, and practiced noble etiquette the rest of the day, with meal breaks. Slowly he gained some form of composure as a noble. The lesson he completed fastest was dancing. He seemed to have a natural talent for it due to his dexterity. Next was having a proper posture and gait. But what took the most time was small talk, as well as learning of the attendants. For someone who always lived a rougher life, talking as though he were from a sheltered lifestyle was a struggle itself. Many of the luxuries that nobles treated as normal were distant knowledge for Vladimir. Thus the majority of the three week period was spent teaching Vladimir the basics of noble life, as well as notable figures all lords should know. He was finally considered fully trained a few days before the gathering, which gave him some time to rest. The training had been much more rigorous and exhausting than he'd ever imagined it could be, so it was a welcome break.

Part 4

At last, the day arrived. During the last few days, the estate and its cellar had been prepared for company and entertainment. Upon finally seeing the cellar, Vladimir was astonished. It must have stretched through a quarter of the vineyards underground, easily larger than the home itself. casks, barrels and bottles lined the the walls for hundreds of meters. The house servants were busy setting up tables and sample bottles for the guests, under the supervision of Lady Rosaline. As it was Vladimir's overall job to watch and protect, he simply accompanied Rosaline. Almost as soon as the room was complete, the first wave of carriages arrived to the estate. Nobles from across the continent poured out into the household, all dressed in various cultural and extravagant garb. Even with all the training, Vladimir still felt extremely out of place. Still, he steeled himself for the evening to come. Soon enough, the crowd began their approach.

"Lady Merrington!" A portly man with a waxed, brown mustache and dressed in golden finery called out, "You have my sincerest gratitude for hosting this fine event. I had heard that this year's vintage was top notch, so when word reached me that you were hosting a tasting, there was no choice to be made! Ah, and who might this fine fellow be? I do not believe I have had the pleasure of making his acquaintance before." Vladimir smiled warmly. The man seemed cheerful enough, but as Vladimir had learned, it was hard to read nobles. He would wait until Lady Rosaline's reaction to pass judgment.

"My dear Lord Roster! I am so glad you could make it. Your knowledge and discerning taste is bound to let me know whether I deserve such praise." Rosaline replied endearingly.

Ah, he's one of the competitors. It's cordial now, but there is no guarantee that he isn't behind the suspected assault.

"As for this man, well..." She trailed off to let Vladimir introduce himself, a queue which he did not miss a beat picking up.

"My name is Joseph Stravilov, I deal in high-quality leather. I came here from Dolan to become more well versed in Yslian cultures and needs, and my contact here pointed me to Lady Merrington." Vladimir points his eyes to Rosaline in a gracious manner. "She has put me up for a time while I make final travel arrangements, and has been a most wonderful host."

"You deal in leather in Dolan, you say? You certainly have come quite a long way, and at a wonderful time. I expect this to be a lively and joyous evening. Welcome to Yslia, Lord Stravilov." The man again was genuine, which made Vladimir believe he was a fair competitor, and a good man. Even though it was just a formal greeting and introduction, that was what Vladimir's intuition told him. As the man walked away, Rosaline spoke up in a whisper.

"Lord Roster was a close friend of my late husband, Henry. They both ended up starting in the wine business, but the competition was always cordial. They were rivals. When my husband passed, Lord Roster helped me stabilize while I figured out the business. It was all done 'under the table' so to speak, so it's not a very wide known fact." Vladimir was happy to know this, since it meant his intuition was right and the man had no reason to sabotage the Merrington Estate. Of course, he still had to keep an eye on him, but it was still a relief nontheless.

"Lady Rosaline Merrington." A firm male voice, whose tone dropped semi-condescendingly, called out from the side. "I'm honestly impressed with what you managed after all the trouble you have met." The man had short black hair that was combed to the left side, and a neatly trimmed, straight mustache that tapered out to the corners of his mouth, short enough to not obstruct the lip. He wore a blue jacket with silver embroidery, with black pants and shoes, and stared at the lady with icy blue eyes, smirking the whole time. This one is bound to be a handful. Vladimir thought immediately.

"Lord Richard Nols." Rosaline pronounced coldly at his biting comment, as she knew full well that was said with some disappointment. "I could almost hear the sigh you held back. Tell me, my lord, am I such an eyesore? Or was that simply your envy?"

And as I could have guessed, she can certainly bite back.

The man continued to ignore Vladimir's presence, instead staring coldly back at Rosaline before lightening into a false smile. "Not at all, Lady Merrington. Though you are certainly one to be envied, with your accomplishments." He waves and walks off, "I lok forward to seeing what else you have managed."

"Of all the pompous- I wish I didn't have to invite him. He's not even in the wine business. But there exists a Merrington-Nols trade agreement, and as cheese goes well with wine, and he deals in some of the best cheese I've known, there's not really a choice but to advertise each others' products. It sounds petty, I know, but that's how business works."

The final man to personally greet Lady Rosaline was a shorter, shrewd-looking man, who was balding a third of the way back along his head. His clothing was still lavish, but the embroidery was on the simpler side, which matched his personality well. "Good evening, Lady Merrington. I trust you are doing well?"

"Mister Granstein! I'm so glad you could make your way out here. Yes, I'm doing quite well thanks to you." Rosaline was legitimately excited with this man's arrival. But having not been told this name, Vladimir was quite confused by the relation. The two men met eyes for a moment, both scrutinizing each other. "Ah, of course. Forgive me for not introducing you. Lord Joseph, may I present Mister Alex Granstein. Alex, this gentleman is Lord Jospeh Stravilov, a Dolanite that deals in quality leather.

She then leans down and whispers, "In fact, he is actually the hired hand we had talked about procuring." Vladimir was astonished at the reveal, while Alex nodded thoughtfully. Is she MAD!? That's not something you can admit to ANYONE right now! After a few more pleasantries, Alex bid them both farewell.

Vladimir quickly leaned to her ear, "Lady Rosaline, are you insane!? To admit that here is extremely dangerous for us both. What were you thinking!?" The panick in his voice was obvious, though he still managed to keep a straight face.

She simply smirked, pausing before responding. "Oh, he's not anyone to worry about, Joseph. he was my financial adviser for for restarting this wine business in my husband's absence. He was behind much of our initial growth. I owe my current life to his hard work. And he was the one who initially warned me of the risk, so there would be no reason for treachery."

Vladimir stayed silent, but inside turmoil was brewing. No matter to whom, revealing that was a blunder, and she was naive. It may have the rumored thief postpone his theft until the coast is clear. Or call in reinforcements. Things just got much more difficult. And now it would be harder to determine who was behind it, since he didn't know who might know his identity with that information in the open.

The evening went on fairly uneventfully. But the wine was indeed wonderful. The variety of flavors, aromas and viscosity of the Merrington wines were better than any other Vladimir had imbibed; they possibly rivaled those of the elves. The company, however, was a little more stiff to deal with. With all of them wearing social masks and fake smiles, it was becoming overwhelming and tedious. He was repeating similar tales he'd constructed about his alias again and again, and between that and keeping an eye out, it was wearing him down. Finally, it started to make his facade crack.

"Sir, you have such pride in that hide pauldron. Though I do admit the embroidery is a fine work of art, the hide itself is low quality."

"Nonsense! I assure you this is real basilisk hide."

Vladimir leans in to examine it, with a 'may I?' look about him, after a curt nod, he continues."Indeed, it is definitely basilisk hide, The man puffs out his chest, "but it was improperly treated. I see parts of it that seem rough when they should not be. I believe your eyes have been fooled." The man's chest deflated.

"But I paid good money for that! I don't believe you. It's a fine piece!" The man was beginning to get defensive, but Vladimir was beyond the point of heeding. In fact his eyes were watching elsewhere, further angering the lord.

"I'm sorry to disappoint you, my lord, but this piece is worth 1000 gold at best."

"You aren't even looking at it, nor myself any longer. You are a liar, and have besmirched my honor with your fraudulent claims." Vladimir snapped back to attention at the raised voice, he felt blood lust. "Duel me! I will not stand for you looking down on me, charlatan!"

Vladimir stood there dumbfound. He was challenged to a duel for noting an item's quality. Are all nobles this maddening!?

"Come outside at once, we will settle this affront." The man marched off, handing his coat to his attendant. Vladimir looked back to Lady Rosaline, who shook her head and followed.

"His pride is too great, all I did was note his pauldron's quality." Vladimir explained.

"Why would you question the quality of an article of clothing worn by someone who values social appearance and standing above all else?" Rosaline retorted. Vladimir could only sigh. He was not cut out for this. "And things were going so well, too.

Rosaline tried her best to break up the duel, but the man was hard-headed, "Rosaline! I realize that this is discourteous, but do not interfere! This is a man's battle!"

Vladimir stood before him, rapier at his hip, staring down his opponent under lamp light. The man had certainly had training with a sword, but was a novice in actual combat. For the sake of not further wounding pride, he would go easy so it was a good fight. Lord Roster acted as judge, and at his command their rapiers were drawn.

"Prepare yourself, dastard!" Vladimir offered no response, but both Rosaline and Vladimir had similar thoughts.

My lord, it is you that is in over his head.

Vladimir made a stead pacing toward the man, shuffling side long, and the man did the same. He understood the basics, Vladimir gave the man that. The man thrust, quickly, but Vladimir batted it aside with a beat parry. The man advanced and swiped back, which Vladimir blocked and parried once more, negating his advance. There was then a conversation of blades held as the two combatants clashed rapidly again and again. There were cheers and gasps at the swordplay exhibited, and the lord was smirking as though he'd won. Vladimir's face was plain however. That is, until he heard a familiar voice squeal and muffle. Vladimir's heightened hearing picked it up momentarily, and he immediately recognized it as Lady Rosaline. he was then reminded with what he was tasked.

He turned quickly, observing where the sound came from, "Lady Rosaline!?"

"Where do you think you're looking, knave!" The enraged noble aimed a downward cut, straight at Vladimir. Vladimir quickly turned and caught it on his blade, forcing it back. While the noble recovered, Vladimir lunged forward, the nobleman barely blocking. But it was then that Vladimir smiled, sliding his rapier blade down his opponent's while sidestepping, catching the tip in his opponent's guard, then making a stabbing and flicking motion. He sent the noble's rapier flying, then quickly brought the tip of his own under the man's chin. Cheers erupted at the sudden turn of events

"Stop! Joseph wins!" The noble falls to the ground on his knees, and Vladimir sheathes his blade.

Then he whispers down to the man, "Your pride has cost me dearly." Immediately, he dashes through the crowd, shouts and gasps of astonishment following him. But he pays them no heed, instead looking to the ground. finally he found what he was looking for: signs of a struggle in the dirt. He was able to make out a slight trail and continued on.

"Well that was strange..." Lord Roster muttered. "Wait. Where is Lady Rosaline?" The crowd muttered in confusion looking every which way, and it donned on the duelist what had happened.

"Joseph...Follow Joseph! He must know!"

Vladimir ended up around the right side of the house, and found the lady down on the ground with hurried footsteps leading to the back. He quickly looked her over to see if she was unharmed; luckily, she was just unconscious. When he heard others approaching, he yelled out to them. "Look after her! I'm going to chase him down!" And then disappeared around the house, following the trail through the vineyard. As he continued on, he could make out two men in the dark, with a carriage drawn and ready. Luckily, Vladimir could see clearly in the dark, so he approached silently and with ease. But instead of directly approaching, he circled around as quickly as he could and entered the carriage fro the other side. He climbed up the walls and held himself against the ceiling, awaiting his window.

In the mean time, he was able to listen in on the conversation's last moments. "Finally, that wench will be out of the picture. She'll lose her wealth and end up dependent on the revenue I bring her."

It was Lord Nols, the cheese merchant. once they heard the commotion up the hill nearing, Richard climbed into the carriage, with his partner driving. Still Vladimir waited. he wanted no chance for escape.

"I thought disposing of the lord would be enough for me to take over their wine business...but then that damned Roster beat me to acting as a 'savior', and she recovered. That lost me both Lady Rosaline AND her business. Now all I need to do is ruin her crop and use her techniques for my own wine..."

That was enough. Vladimir quickly jumped down, slamming the pommels of both his rapier and kukri into the back of the delusional lord's head. He was out immediately. Next, Vladimir knocked on the driver's wall, signalling a stop. The henchman slowed to a stop, then came back to the cabin, where Vladimir laid in wait, using the passed out Lord Nols as bait. With both perpetrators unconscious, Vladimir went to the carriage store box to pull out a spare riding reign and tied the both back to back. All that was left was the easy ride back to the estate.

Upon returning, a crowd was gathered, and the Lady Rosaline was awake, albeit weakened and held up by her servant, David. Vladimir hopped down, "One Lord Nols and company, chased down and captured, milady." He'd dropped any stature as a nobleman at this point, causing even more bouts of confusion. That they were outside meant Lady Rosaline explained what had happened, but it seems she had not revealed his purpose.

"Please do not be concerned, Joseph is a bodyguard I hired for fear of this exact event. Yes, we have lied to you, but it was because we did not know who was going to attempt the robbery." At that announcement, Vladimir approached with the book that was stolen, handing it to her. "Thank you, Joseph." She said with a weak smile.

Then it was Vladimir's turn to speak. "That is not all, I had overheard Lord Nols muttering to himself while he thought he was alone, and have some information on his past and future plans." From there, Vladimir recounted his actions, and the words he'd overheard to those present. Lady Rosaline was in tears at the news that Lord Nols was behind her husband's death. But they were also of relief at the closure of knowing why such hardship happened.

"...Such a craven man, to sabotage our hard-earned business out of greed and envy. He was successful, and comfortable. I have no idea why he would do such awful things...But I do not wish to know the thoughts and feelings of the mad. David, could you properly tie those men up now that we have access to good rope. We'll bring them to the authorities in the morning."

Still, the crowd began ogling Vladimir, who turned out to be a much more different man than they expected. Again he was overwhelmed with questions, statements and flattery, only this time, it was about his real life. After around 30 minutes, it became too much, and he was slowly drained of his ability to converse. Slowly, he was able to slip away and retreat to the house, passing the story-telling to Lady Rosaline, finally gaining peace. Later that evening, once the visitors had taken their leave, he received his payment; It was a solid 500 gold. Lady Rosaline offered for him stay the night once more, and though he may have agreed, he was well aware that he had already overstayed his welcome. So later that night, he sneaked away from the premises.

"Already departing, Joseph?" As he made his way away from the back door, the familiar voice of Lady Rosaline called down from the second story.

He smiled and looked up, "Seems I've been caught. Apologies, milady, but I really am better off as a street rat." It was semi-joking, but they both knew what it meant.

"Farewell, Joseph. Do stay at an inn once in a while. You deserve that much."

"Maybe, Rosaline. Maybe."
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]