::A Time of Great Harvest::

Started by Neko, December 18, 2015, 10:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oath

Ryine listened to Sophie's explanation on the lay of the land as they walked. "So, the shed is just used for keeping some farm equipment then?" They continued to walk through the fields, it was a simple enough task. Sophie seemed to glance over into the dark woods quite often, Ryine was glad to see that she was at least staying on her toes.

"I didn't live on a farm, but I was from a smaller village. A lot of the people there grew crops and I'd help them out from time to time. I was more of the adventurous sort as a kid, sort of had a dream of becoming a knight. Then I found out that the chances of that happening were almost nothing, so I ended up becoming a sell-sword instead, after a while in that life, some of the members of the Guild found me, and I had a new home. Sometimes I do sort of miss the rural life, but its also nice to have people around that you can depend on. Where I'm from, people prefer to keep their troubles to themselves, and keep up appearances that everything is going well, until its obvious that it isn't." He paused a few moments, moving the lantern to the other side to get a better view in some shadows. "Every rural place is similar though, so we could say we have that in common. It definitely isn't a bad life, when its peaceful. I think i'm more suited to help make sure it stays that way for everyone else instead of working out in the fields myself." He didn't quite smile, but it wasn't really a frown either. Just sort of a stoic look of honesty.

Neko

Sophie adored learning about her friends - She felt it brought them closer together. "I never actually dreamed I'd be in a guild or anything...." Sophie told him, her eyes wandering toward the stars as she continued thinking back on older times. "I really didn't care much for fighting, either. You know my daggers? My father taught me how to use those." She explained. "But, even after all this time I still don't feel proficient with them." She half laughed. She'd always lacked a certain confidence when it came to combat. She'd had her uses in the past, but somehow it always felt as if she wasn't any good...compared to everyone else, anyway. "I'm pretty sure healing is my calling. The daggers are more to make my papa proud, you know? I'm sorry if he seemed hard on you or anything earlier. I know he comes across as just a farm man, but he did his fair share of fighting back in the day!"Every time she mentioned her father, Sophie took a cheerful tone.

As they continued to patrol, the two finally came up on the shed Sophie had mentioned earlier. It was a simple tool shed, and very old. One of the windows had been boarded up, and moss covered the rotted wooden walls. A musty smell came from inside. Sophie seemed to pick up the pace though, wanting to pass it quickly. "Ugh, I don't suggest you ever go in there." She mentioned with a tone of disgust. The barn was still visible from this side - but only the top half. They had gone pretty far. Mimic still sat at the top, though Sophie questioned whether or not he was still awake. Still thinking back in the past, she got to thinking about how her and Mimic became friends. If it weren't for her, she figured the raven wouldn't be alive today...it was probably the only reason he bothered listening to her.

"Oh, that's a bit odd, don't you think...?" Sophie said, coming to a stop. She had been so caught up in her memories, she hadn't noticed a change in the wind. It had completely stopped. In fact, a warm feeling had slowly begun washing over her. It was actually quite nice. She let the fur slide off her shoulders and under her arm. "I'm glad the wind decided to....to....Ryine?" Sophie paused, suddenly coming to the realization that her warrior friend was nowhere in site. Had he wandered off while she was babbling...? She quickly turned her eyes to the barn and-...Wait, but...why was she looking there again? For whatever reason, her entire purpose for being where she was right then was hard to pin point..."Maybe I was just out for a walk...?" She thought to herself. As she pondered the purpose of being outside, something caught the maid's eye. A feint glow off in the forest, "Was I looking for that?" She wondered. As if being drawn to the bright object, she began making her way toward it. The closer she grew to the tree line, the brighter the glow became. What could it be!? She had to find it.

A similar feeling would likely be taking over Ryine - it was so warm, so comfortable. Just as Sophie had finished telling him stories of her own life, a distraction of sorts came into the warriors view. Two small children came tumbling out of the woods. their clothes were tattered - their hair matted and dirty. One might guess the duo were brother and sister. They seemed distressed as they grew closer to Ryine. "P-please help." One of them called out. "Can you help us?" The other one cried. They only made it a few steps out of the forest before coming to a stop, almost as if an invisible wall had kept them from taking another step. "Please, we need someone to guide us back through the woods." The little girl said, her watery eyes threatening to unleash a waterfall of tears. "We don't feel safe alone, please take us back to the orphanage." The little boy pleaded. "It's back that way, we got lost and...and..." the little girl stopped, as if too shaken to finish her sentence. the boy put an arm around her shoulder in a comforting manner. "It's alright, he looks strong sister!  I bet someone like that could get us there no problem!" The two looked to Ryine as if their lives depended on his decision. If Ryine were to look, or even remember she was around - He wouldn't find Sophie.

Oath

Sophie seemed apologetic on her father's behalf. "Don't worry, I find that when you wander around with a giant sword, people are not very friendly. Someone being guarded around a man they think is likely just a mercenary isn't uncommon and something that you grow used to if you've been in this line of work long enough." He kind of chuckled, hoping to lighten the mood. "And you know, not everyone has to fight, there are plenty of roles in any organization as I think you have learned. On the battlefield the same holds true, all sorts of people can do things to change the ebb and flow of combat."

Then Sophie was gone. Ryine was confused; it felt like it had suddenly gotten warmer, but he knew it was a crisp autumn night. Two children came tumbling out of the woods. Children, at this time of night? Ryine looked at them perplexed. They spoke, begging him for help. He felt like there was something else he was supposed to be doing, but he wasn't sure what. "Why are you children out at this time of night? Good little kids would be in bed sleeping, not out getting lost on their own little adventures." He couldn't shake the feeling that he had a job to do, and the children were begging for his help. He felt it was none of his concern, and there likely wasn't any coin in it, but sending the kids on their way alone wouldn't sit too well with him either. He looked at them, their ragged close and spoke sternly. "How far did you come? Where is your orphanage?" Any trace of a smile had vanished from his face. It was the middle of the night and some children were lost. The forest would likely be unkind to invaders at this hour, though at least his most common foe; the door, would not be present.

Neko

The little girl was sniffling, a couple tears rolling down her cheeks. "It's back that way, through the woods." The little boy replied, turning slightly and pointing behind them. "P-please don't be mad...It's just, someone told us there was treasure through the forest and we wanted to see it!" He explained. "T-there's wolves and scary things!" The sister said through whimpers. "If we don't get back by tonight they will be so worried." The boy told him.

Meanwhile, Sophie had entered the woods. She felt no fear in doing so, something about the glowing light just ahead made her feel safe. Finally, whatever it was, that wonderful light, it was just around that bush! She carefully pushed the leafs aside, trying to keep quiet as she took a peak. "No way...." She whispered, staring at the majestic creature in complete awe. It was a unicorn! She had always questioned their existence. Such rare and and secretive creatures, never in her life did Sophie think she'd have the honor of even seeing one. But no, seeing wasn't enough. She needed to get closer to it.

Sophie moved forward, each step she took was careful, and quiet. She stopped though as the beautiful creature turned its head in the maid's direction. It's entire body had an unearthly aura - the fur was incredibly white. However, the main source of the glow she'd followed after was its horn. Perhaps it had been using the light to guide itself through? It was nearly impossible to make it through the woods at night. The canopy was so thick it even blocked out most of the moons light.

Although the two had made eye contact at this point, the unicorn didn't run, or act afraid. It stood still, as if waiting for Sophie to approach. Sophie did just that - She stood only a foot or two from the creature now. "It's alright, I won't hurt you." Sophie cooed, although it felt as if the unicorn already knew. She began to reach out for it. "This must be a dream." Sophie thought.

Oath

Ryine sighed. Nobody had any business traveling through a forest at night. You didn't do it unless you had no other choice, and even then you looked for another option. He really would have preferred to just make the children stay put until morning, but it didn't seem like that was going to be an option.

"Well, let's get going then. Stay close to me."
He walked into the forest, hand gripping his sword.

Neko

Just as Sophie's hands were about to stroke the unicorn's mane, it was gone. It was as if the creature had simply blinked out of existence. It didn't fade, there was no flash, it was just...gone. Sophie shivered, the cold nipping at her exposed arms. She was quick to pull the fur she'd shrugged off back over her. She stood there for a moment in the dark, disoriented. Why was she over here? She could still see the unicorn in her head, but she couldn't comprehend how she'd gathered the courage to chase after it in the first place...As the general purpose of why she was there began to flow back into her memory, Sophie gasped. "Ryine?!" She called out, fear in her voice. Where was he? Had he experienced something similar?

--

The children followed beside Ryine as he entered the woods, the little boy holding his sister's hand. Only the sound of the sniffling girl could be heard, the forest around them oddly silent. But, almost as quickly as they came, the children were gone. The warmth Ryine had felt earlier was suddenly replaced by the bitter cold of night. He hadn't made it too far in, and the memory of the children was likely still lingering.

--

Sophie had already set off running toward the farm, her mind racing as she tried to understand what had been going through her own head. Had she been hypnotized or something? As she broke past the woods the first thing she did was look for Ryine. "Ryine are you ok?" Sophie called out. She then set her sites toward the barn, finding the roof no longer occupied. "Mimic...?" She thought. However, she didn't feel too afraid, she could still feel his presence nearby.

Oath

The children were crying, and Ryine was feeling irritated. They had asked him for help, but their temperament didn't show any signs of improvement. They could have at least been happy that he was helping. The two children suddenly vanished, and Ryine was standing alone, in the middle of the woods. The autumn air bit at his face, and he rubbed his head. He was confused, and unsure of what had happened but knew he was supposed to be on the farm. He wandered back through the woods over to the Cain family farm. Stumbling out of the woods into the fields, he began to look for Sophie.

Ryine shouted. "SOPHIE! ARE YOU OUT HERE?" His voice carried through the fields, and he knew it would be a much quicker way to locate Sophie than just wander around aimlessly. He also began to walk back towards the barn, it would make more sense to meet up over there, and that is where he was primarily tasked to protect anyway.