[Closed/Solo RP] What is a Sword?

Started by Linwelin, December 11, 2014, 08:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linwelin

The shout came from over there! The halfling told himself, sprinting as quickly as he could. There had been a shriek while he had been traveling back to the guild, and as dusk was approaching, he knew it couldn't be the good kind. And he was right. Upon turning into an alleyway, he saw three men gathered around a woman; it was obvious this wasn't a friendly gathering. The men had blonde, black and brown hair, and were well built and tanned, but certainly held themselves like scum. Hardly the most charming group. All he could see of the woman was fair skin and auburn-colored hair. And torn clothing.

"Oy! You lot! Back away, and no one gets hurt. The lady obviously wants nothing to do with you." Kin warned, slowly approaching them.

The three whirled around in surprise, then shortly afterward, laughter. "What was that, shrimp? You think you can take on all three of us? We were just having some fun, all four of us, so it's none o'yer business!" The one who seemed to be their leader, the black haired one, shouted back, with the other two grinning and nodding beside him. From the tears in the woman's shirt sleeves, it was an obvious lie, and her pleading eyes confirmed this. Plus, it was indeed true. They were large for humans, he was your average halfling. Cockiness aside, they were right that he was at a disadvantage.

"Hey hey, look at that sword! It's nearly twice his size! What's he doing carrying that? Haha. Bet he's just some little errand runner, carrying that for his master." One of them, the blonde, joked, nudging the the black haired leader. The black and brown haired ones laughed in response, and the last one spoke, "Little one, as ma' buddy here said, this is none o'yer business. Move along and leave us." Kin sported an irked grin at the statement. He was going to try to just scare them off, but now he wanted to hurt them. Not kill, but definitely wound. But they aren't worth using my sword on.

"Ah, you're right, there's no WAY I could use this, right?" He looks around and notices a quarterstaff-like dowel on the ground against the wall, which he picks up and brandishes. "This'll do. Now, make me leave." He says menacingly. At which they laugh. The leader speaks up, "Hey, would you look at this? The rodent thinks he's hot stuff!" The chuckle, then brandish their own weapons. The leader has a proper sword, while the blonde has a dagger and the brown haired one has a club. "Let's cool him a bit."

The first to act was the blonde, which Kin had to admire, as it was quite a quick thrust. However, Kin caught it along the outside of his 'staff', and immediately twirled it on top of the man's arm, forcing the thrusting arm downwards while simultaneously bringing the other end of the rod up under the thug's chin. This sent the man off balance and led him to tumble off to the side and into the wall, dazed on the ground. The other two quickly changed their stances in surprise, though Kin couldn't praise those at all. "Too many openings...this isn't fun at all." He grumbled to himself. He was even rusty with his staff-work, it'd been decades since he'd seriously wielded one, so this was truly a let-down. He was proud of the bruise he'd caused on the one he'd hit, though; at least his strength had improved.

The next to attack was the club-wielder, the brown-haired man. Seems he'd gone for accuracy over power, using a horizontal swing that was tough to side-step or parry. But Kin wasn't new to such things. He ducked slightly, using his height to his advantage, and deflected the club at an angle with the staff above him. The blow bounced a little high and caused the thug to spin too far with the force of his blow, his arm flung high by the force. This left his striking side open, and his arm blocked his view of a counter-attack. Kin quickly thrust the staff into the man's side, propelling him back past the leader.

"It seems you're worth something in a fight after all. But that don't mean nothin'. I've trained with the guard, so I'm not like those two." With that, the man takes a side-long stance, holding his sword in a parrying stance, as though fencing. Kin smiled, "'With the guard' you say...I'd say you didn't train long enough. Though I admit it's a good stance, it's not right for the situation." This time, Kin is the one to charge in. "Like you could properly block a long weapon like a staff like that!" With both hands, Kin swings the quarterstaff toward the man's back. The man responds by whipping his sword circularly down and around so the staff is pushed upwards.

"Good!...But!" Kin exclaims, enthusiastic that he found some who could receive his blows. The 'but' was because Kin had a double weapon, and was able to redirect his momentum to the other end, bringing the entire staff full-circle with himself as the pivot point. Spinning, Kin brought the pole back around in a swift thrust, landing right into the thug's gut. The man staggered backwards, but was still on his feet. "Hmm, still on your feet? Not bad, not bad." He wanted to keep going, but Kin's weapon was at its end. It had multiple cracks along it now from all the blows it'd received, and was ready to break. "Tch, looks like this thing's done." He flung the wooden pole back to the side. The lead thug began to laugh, "Now what, shrimp? You're good, I give ya that, but you're useless without a weapon!" The man gathered himself and assumed a charging stance.

"Ah, well, I didn't want to kill, but you don't seem like a wimp. Guess I could get serious and drop the facade." With that, he draws the greatsword, Azure Fury, from its place on his back, causing everyone still conscious (the black and brown haired men, and the woman) to gasp in some way or another. "Kin Sheel of the Guild of Galas'nor accepts your challenge!"

The man's guard drops slightly, his mouth hanging open for a moment. Suddenly, recognition appears on his face. "Wait, Kin Sheel? you mean the one from the tournament?" Then brown haired man chimes in behind him. "The Mad Sword of Galas'nor? Gods, man, we're done for." They both drop their weapons, hoping to be spared any more pain. We're done, Kin, sir. We know when we're outmatched, I saw how you fight with that thing." He said pointing to the greatsword.

Kin grimaced with disappointment, "Tch, shouldn't have announced my name. Damn dueling habits die hard...I wasn't even gonna use the enchantments!" He spouted out at them. "Gah, well whatever, you lot get out of here and don't try anything like this again. It's shameful." Kin slid Azure Fury back in it's scabbard as the duo grabbed their unconscious friend wordlessly and left.

The woman ran up to Kin in thanks, giving him a solid hug, which he quickly pushed himself away from. "Hey, hey, hey! No need for that. I didn't do any of that for you. Glad you're alright and all, but really now, what got you in this mess to deal with people like them?" All the woman could manage was a "Huh?" as Kin continued on. "I just don't like trash like them creeping around in my city. Either get some discipline or get out!" There were a slew of emotions in the woman's face: confusion, pain, joy...annoyance. She couldn't figure out how to respond as she was more or less told-off and ranted to by this odd, but somewhat known halfling.

She gave a sighing chuckle, "Honestly, you're exactly as people say you are; you reputation certainly precedes you, Kin Sheel. Either way, you did save my life, so you have my thanks. My name is Luiza Budny. I help out at a tavern around the corner, The Sword and Barrel. I'll be glad to treat you to a drink as thanks." The woman did a small curtsey in her muddied, slightly torn barmaid outfit.

"The Sword and Barrel, huh? Good name!" He gives an awkward thumbs-up, obviously because 'sword' is in the name. "But no can do. I've got to get back to the guild." Luiza looks at him in surprise, especially turning down a free drink. She thought it was a good offer, and DID want to show thanks. "I...see...well, feel free to drop by if you're around, the offer stands. She says, regaining a bit of cheer."

"Yup, you too, if you see guys like that around again, feel free to come get me, or anyone, from Galas'nor. We'll be happy to help. Don't be a stranger!" Kin says, thrusting his hand toward her for a handshake, to which she responds hesitantly, thrown off-guard. He really is all over the place...so rumors can be true. was all she could think. With that, they part, and Kin walks back to the main road.

"That was quite well handled, young man." An older voice called out from behind him. Kin quickly, and guardedly, spun around to meet the stranger voice. It was an elderly, balding man in a brown cloak. He seemed well traveled, and there was a presence surrounding him...he wasn't ordinary. "You've quite the martial skill. Many would be envious of such a thing."

"But not you...?" Kin responded, getting an elderly chuckle from the man.

"Quite the wit! No, not envious, but you have my respect. Tell me, young one, from all your experience and training, what do you think a sword is? Where does a blade's true strength lie?"

Kin was dumbfounded for a few moments, having not expected such a question, then he began to think and observe. The old man's eyes were sharp, and a smile crept onto his face while he watched Kin. This was a serious question, not just a random whim. "What is a sword, huh? That's a very loaded question. On one hand, it's from its creation, however the smith manages the metal and refines the blade, what materials it's composed of, the smith's mastery  and knowledge of his craft. On the other hand, it is the wielder. Does he understand the blade's ideal use for what it was made? Is he well versed in the basics of swordplay? Does he have to proper strength and dexterity to wield the blade to its potential? But as for what a sword is...it is a keen, unforgiving edge. Blind to right and wrong, it only cuts its target."

The old man had been nodding as Kin had spoke, waiting for the complete answer, "Mm, a good answer. But not perfect. It is too closed-minded a definition. You've only addressed the wielder, the smith and the sword. It's a good start, better than most I've come across, but what of the environment and the target. I find it rather comical you left those out when you used them earlier. You sized up your opponents, and, despite being outnumbered, chose not to use your own blade, but instead an improvised weapon. A sword is not determined by any of these, however. They are only things that determine its use, only parts of a sword. Though it is true a sword is an edge, you've labeled it too heavily. Here, it's best if I just show you. The old man moves, retrieving...nothing from his cloak. Only his bare hands, open and obviously empty. He crouched slightly, lifting one arm backward and to head level, the other lowered below his waist, palm up. "Come, attack me. With your greatsword, of course."

Kin knows he's serious, but his mouth drops, "You want me to attack you when you're unarmed? Old man..." But before he continued, he saw the mans expression and complete silence. "...Very well." The man smiled as Kin drew his blade and prepared to attack. Kin saw there were no openings. He was barehanded, but there were no openings. "Oy, this is insane...who are you?" Only silence followed, though the man was still smiling calmly. Kin shrugged. And ran. And slashed in the best way possible that he could think. Horizontally, toward the shoulder of the lowered arm.

The motion was very hard to follow, and technique hard to fathom. The man stepped forward and used the lowered hand to lift the blade with the back of his wrist, while ducking. The blade sailed over, missing. However, it wasn't over yet. He grasped the pommel of the blade and pushed at the back-edge of the greatsword with his other, open palm. This created a pivot point where Kin gripped his blade and caused it to swirl toward his own shoulder. Kin tried to dodge but could not completely escape the counter, which was his own strike. Thus the sword bit into his arm. It wasn't a horrid wound, but certainly was no scratch.

His sword dropping to the ground, still held in his other hand, Kin jumped back. "Gah! Ha...what in the nine hells was that!?" The old man returned his hands beneath his cloak and smiled. "That was my sword. Well, one of many. You see, young man, a sword isn't any one of those things we discussed. It is all of them, with the wielder as the focal point." Kin was panting after the strain of their quick duel, but at that response suddenly started laughing. "Interesting! I believe you've proven that point well. Now answer my other question. Who ARE you, old man?"

The old man simply smiled at the wit and prowess of the one before him, My name is Udom Suttikul, and I am a traveling Swordsage. I've been looking for someone to teach what I know of the Sublime Way, as a sort of successor. And I do believe I have found him. He says staring into Kin's eyes.

Kin blinks a few times, then pointed to himself. "You want to pass on your swordsmanship...to me?" Kin grinned with more excitement than he'd ever had in his life. Finally gathering himself, he used something he had not in a VERY long time. Disciplinary etiquette. Bowing his head slightly, he spoke, "I am in your care, Swordsage Suttikul."
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]