[IC] Tinderbox

Started by Throndir, October 18, 2014, 02:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

The group of guild members had just finished a mission. Together they were on their way back toward the city of Ternadan, back to their guild hall where they could tell the many other members of their exploits and heroics. Not to mention cash in on their rewards for completing the mission. The journey was still a couple days out however, and nearby was the town of Powderkeg - the perfect rest zone, a walled town built from lumber.

Powderkeg was a small, but fortified town, it was near the borders of the nation, stationed at the east, right before the deserts that spanned southwards. The community was built for travelers, who have little trouble securing accommodations or obtaining provisions for the long journey to the larger settlements. You knew that the town served primarily for travelers, and you recall that a merchant guild has founded the town not very long ago. Here you found yourselves, and along with your fellow guild members. The sun was near-setting, and with the town's large wooden gates, you suspected they would soon be closed for the day.

Nearby, you see what looked to be a registration and receiving station, where you see guardsmen herding the short line of merchants and travelers towards. There were signs displayed on the receiving station, boarded up and tacked against the wooden walls, each one dictating some sort of law or rule in the city. Out of all the other boards though, one of them seemed to pop out the most "Arson is a municipal crime", it wrote.

The clerk on the desk processing each of the arrivals greets each of them in return. Asking for their names and describing the nature of their business. When finally it was your group's turn, she paused as she considered you.

"That emblem... You are from Ternadan? The.. Guild of Galas'nor?" Before any of you could respond, the clerk waved to someone behind her.

"Wintergreen sir! I think we have the people we've been waiting for!" There was some shuffling, but soon enough a large man appeared.

"Yes... Just the people I've been looking for. The Guild of Galas'nor indeed. Your names?" The man called Wintergreen said as he eyed the emblems each of you wore.

QuoteAnyone can join.

For the new players, I'll be including a short list of possible things you can do. Simply choose one or more options, you do not need to write, though that is of course encouraged.

For the first post, I'd like the players to introduce their characters, just state their name, what they look like, and etc. We assume the current party has already been through at least one mission together, so they are already familiar with each other.

For new players, just follow this checklist for your first post:

• Have your character state your name to Wintergreen.
  • Go on in describing your character's looks.
  • Your character's race.
  • Clothes worn.
  • Weapons that are visible.

Zultar

"ZULTAR ME!!!!!"

Orc is short. Stubby. Stands before the clerk. He wears no upper body armor. and wears a simple pair of LEATHER trousers. On his back is a large falchion - a sword too large for the Orc to wield.

The emblem of the guild is a tattoo on the orc's face.

Mysticsage

Grey had been swept away from his wagon as the clerk had somehow gotten separated and lumped together with the rest of the adventurers had been singled out from the crowd. Looking around quickly however he was able to put two and two together. The head of this town was obviously looking for adventurers for one reason or another. The hand made white steel longsword that he had strapped to his hip must have made the clerk think he too was part of the guild. In truth, Grey was a traveling merchant and craftsmen who had just finished selling the end of his stock in the previous city just at the Shadar desert border.

Getting involved with whatever the lord of this town wanted could mean some rare materials or trading rights. So what if he lied a little bit, and said he was part of this so called Guild of Galas'nor? Once they had accepted the mission they could not very well refuse his help, or his share of any reward thy found.

"Garrett Beltaine sir, Grey is fine."
He spoke up quickly trying his best to look like he belonged. He pulled his leather jacket close to himself to try and look as impressive as possible. He could cut a figure when he wanted. He was well built from all the time he spent on the road and gathering materials from monsters and knew how to lock like he belonged. Swiping his hands through his platinum blonde hair he tried to look as impressive as he could without standing out.

Linwelin

Kin stomped forward, a with multiple questions swimming through his mind. And soon, out his mouth, which took a very good reason to keep shut. First, the...green thing, "Wait, you're a guildmate? No WONDER you were with us! When'd they start accepting...goblins? You're a goblin, right?" Kin looked him up and down. "A slightly larger than average one. You've got nice taste, though, so you're good by me!" He said bluntly, motioning to the over-size falchion, then pointing at his own, larger-than-he-is greatsword.

Second, the blondie, "...Who in the nine hells are you? And what's with the pose." Kin guffawed looking up at the man in the vest. "I swear they're letting anyone in lately. Well, pull yer weight. Obviously I can't do it for ya all that easily."

Third, the big man, and that was meant in more ways than one. "The name's Kin Sheel. The best swordsman you're bound to meet. If you need something fought, look no further...and a little down." He said, with a pause, hanging his head slightly at the end before continuing. "What need do you have of the guild, friend?"

Kin stood to about the 'goblin's' chest in height, at around 3'2". He wore his long, black hair tied-back into a ponytail, and his green eyes and smile seemed always mischievous, but still sharp and focused. He displayed his guild emblem proudly upon the breast of his chain shirt, so all could. The pauldrons, made of dark leather, were also impressed with a similar embellishment as the emblem on his chest. He certainly seemed strong, and confident, but he seemed much more the agile type by his fit-yet-slim build.

The greatsword Kin had equipped was worn in a rather intricate sheathe that allowed for easier release of the blade, as the sword looked as though it would stand a few inches taller than the man if placed on end. The sword itself was a brilliant piece are work, you could tell by just the guard and pommel. It's intricate gold guard was smooth enough to shimmer in the light of the setting sun, and you could have sworn you saw it spark. From there it fluidly arched over to the end on the grip in the shape of a 'D', ending just before a smooth, embedded garnet on the pommel. Though you could not see the blade itself, no doubt it was just as masterful.

And so the halfling waited for the response, unaware he might get more than he bargained for.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Alti

Tatyanna's thin frame dodged around the last of the merchants carts, quickly falling in line with the other guild members standing near the receptionists at the gate.

She was drowning in dusty robes of various coloring, though altogether it looked as if the apparel had been pieced together of many different traveling sets. The robes beneath were sky blue with bands of goldenrod brocade around the cuffs and hem. What looked like a commandeered cloak hood was converted into a head covering of sorts and bound tightly around with a muslin cloth meant to serve as a veil to cover her face from stinging sands and road dust. All about her robes, she was wound around with sashes of contrasting colors. Sashes of spring green and crimson, surrounded an overly large tunic, the color of wine, holding it in close. Long torn scraps of cloth, deep blue and leathery brown, held the cuffs of the robe in tight against her arms. An absolutely bulging travelers pack strapped onto her back. and a thick leather belt with many pouches adorned her waist, fastened tightly with a hefty brass buckle. Also suspended from the belt was a wicked looking whip and a fanciful hand crossbow.   

And blazoned above all the odd colors, a well crafted broach was pinned tightly to the tunic. her arm lifted then across her chest rubbed against the crest in an attempt to remove the dirt. Just for the benefit of the receptionists. 

She lowered her muslin veil as the others bantered introductions all around with the gate workers. Her skin was pristine ivory, not a smudge of dirt or dust blemished her natural beauty. It could be said that the woman had the sense of a well experienced traveler. Her odd clothing but a necessity to keep out unwanted critters and the ever present sand and dirt flying about the arid landscape.   

She never spoke a word as she approached. She didn't greet anyone, or announce herself, until all present had spoken. When all had at least cast her a glance, she was sure that they would (oddly dressed as she was), she spoke.

"Tatyanna Vaeles." Simple enough, but the words spilled sweetly from parted, pillowy, lips stained a fashionable rouge. Her almost feline-like amber eyes falling on each person present with all of the authority of someone who knew exactly where she was supposed to be.

Throndir

5:00 PM

There was a single loud ring of a gong. It reverberated loudly, and those who were new to the town paused to take a deep listen as they looked about their surroundings. The gates of the town had begun closing, the large wooden doors dragging their weight across the dirt and stones that served as the town's main road. The process didn't take long, and within a few more minutes the doors had finally closed shut with an audible click as the locking mechanism snapped into place.

Through it all the man who called Wintergreen continued to stare at each of the individuals who were part of the guild of Galas'nor, as if sizing up each individual and looking as if he were thinking hard about something. The clerk on the other hand continued to simply write down each of the names in her flowing scrawl on what looked to be some sort of ledger.

[spoiler=Kin and Tatyanna]As the clerk writes down each of your names, you notice under the 'Purpose of Visit', she had written down "Saviors?"[/spoiler]

"Pay no mind, the gates of the town close every day at this time." Wintergreen stated matter-of-factly. "I was afraid that no adventurers of good standing would make it before the gates close. I've heard plenty of good things about the Guild of Galas'nor, and I'm certain you are the people I need." The large man shuffled, as he opened a side door from the registration and receiving station and beckoned the group to follow.

"Let's head to the town square, I believe I can shed more light to our conundrum once we're there." He said, his voice some-what pleading.

QuoteSince we have new players to D&D (Zultar), I'll continue with the bullet points for guidance, when I think its necessary. Not required to follow, and the fun things come when it's off script.

• Choose to follow Wintergreen or not. State if you do. Questions, etc.
  • Bonus karma to get some player interaction going.

Linwelin

"AH!" Kin points directly at Tatyanna. "It's the robe lady! Or cat lady? Taty?" He breaks into a grin, but loses focus for a moment as he debates on the name to stick with. Finally he shakes himself of it, returning his focus to the fortune teller, finally dropping his pointed finger. It looks like he'll decide one later, though you're not sure if that's good or bad news. "Proper as always, I see." He jabs with a smile.

Kin flinches at the gong right as he was about to reminisce about their work in the deserts of Shadar, then watches as the gates are drawn. "Quite the security set up..." He mutters to himself as he turns back. He'd decided that talking about the past wasn't interesting enough for him,  but there was nothing to do while waiting for the steward. Out of impatience, Kin decides to peek and see what the clerk was writing.

Names. Date. Purpose of visit. "Huh?" Kin muttered aloud. Pushing his hands out in front of him and waving slightly, Kin hurriedly spoke, "Waitwaitwaitwaitwait...wait. 'Saviors?' What in the nine hells is that supposed to mean!?" He looks up at the two officials expectantly, hands on his hips, and sees their nervous looks. "I mean, I'm all for helping out, but don't just decide that on your own!"

"Let's head to the town square, I believe I can shed more light to our conundrum once we're there."

"'Conundrum'? Gods! Can't you even ask properly?" Kin sighs, glancing back at the rest of the group with a 'Can you believe these people?' kind of look.

Finally dropping his arms from their defiant pose, Kin lets out one more sigh. "Fine, fine. If you need help, you need help. We're locked in here, after all. May as well see if we can be of use...I really wanted to relax, though." He semi-pouts, following Wintergreen and his clerk to the town square.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Alti

Her attention drawn by Kin for just a moment, a grimace befalls her lips.

"Yes Kin it is the same." Came her response, controlled in an attempt not to show anymore signs of frustration.

Tatyanna's attention turned to the others in the group, before Kin could decide on a new nickname to call her. Her critical assessment of each in turn. The squat orc came under her gaze first, and she was nearly unable to hold back a huff of dissatisfaction. She turned to "Grey". Then for the first time she was able to get a good look at him. Her hands shot out to his torso, brushing off dirt and resting a hand gently on his shoulder.

"Looks like you've lost your crest. That won't do, you'll need to replace it." She offered him a slight smile. "Oh... and please do be a help and keep a studious watch over this one." glancing over her shoulder with a nod at Zultar.

In an instant she was turned and following Kin and Wintergreen deeper into town. 

Zultar

Zultar looks towards Kin with an un-amused expression.

"ZULTAR NO GOBLIN!" As he jumps around Kin, flailing his giant sword above Kin's head. "I'M AN ORC. A PROUD ONE."

"AND A TALL ONE!"

[spoiler][blockquote]Jump check 1d20+7 : 4 + 7, total 11[/blockquote][/spoiler]

"WITH A GIANT SWORD!"

[spoiler][blockquote]intimidate 1d20+7 : 13 + 7, total 20[/blockquote][/spoiler]

Like a little child, he frolics around Kin, while attempting to climb atop the halfling.

[spoiler]Attempts to climb Kin
[blockquote]climb check 1d20+5 : 2 + 5, total 7[/blockquote][/spoiler]

"RAWR!"

[spoiler]Zultar activates rage[/spoiler]

Zultar's eyes turn bloodshot as he holds up a vial of fat from his inventory. "I'M GOING TO PUT THIS DOWN YOUR PUNY LITTLE THROAT!! MAYBE THEN YOU'LL BE AS STRONG AS ME WITH ALL THIS FAT. I'LL FEED YOU UNTIL YOUR SKIN -

TURNS GREEN."

Linwelin

Just as Kin was about to make a quip back at Tatyanna for the look she gave him, the 'goblin' went into an uproar. A hilarious one.

"B-Bwahahaha! You're an orc!?" The halfling barely stays standing as he busts a gut at the excitable green creature before him. He certainly had a spring in his step, and a good taste in weaponry. He actually did exude quite the pressure, but Kin was doubting the small orc's ability a little. "Aye, you've quite the sword. But it's not all that great a piece. Mine's better." Kin pats the hilt of the equally large sword mounted on his own back.

What DID surprise Kin was, as he was about to continue following behind Wintergreen, he saw the orc lunging for him out of the corner of his eye. "What the-" He wasn't sure if it was an attempted grapple or what, but it wasn't going to slide. Kin dodged slightly, and grabbed hold of the small orc's arm as the green thing roared at him. Then, using the momentum of the movement, the halfling twisted and jumped, vaulting into the air and aiming to land atop Zultar's shoulders. "Strength doesn't mean anything if you're not quick enough to use it right, beansprout." From there, Kin simply points toward the town square. "Now then, onward!" He commands confidently.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Linwelin

[spoiler=The rolls]
[blockquote]Reflex check to dodge climb attempt:  1d20+8 : 2 + 8, total 10[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Acrobatics check to land and balance on shoulders: 1d20+14 : 1 + 14, total 15[/blockquote][/spoiler]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Linwelin

[spoiler=Karma reroll (I truly AM the king of natural 1's!)]
[blockquote]Reflex again:  1d20+8 : 17 + 8, total 25[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Arcobatics again:  1d20+14 : 1 + 14, total 15[/blockquote][/spoiler]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Throndir

Kin Sheel
The short midget of an orc was more than easy to dodge, grabbing on to Zultar's outreached arms, you managed to twist yourself up, jumping heroically as you landed keenly on the orc's wide shoulder.

"Strength doesn't mean anything if you're not quick enough to use it right, beansprout. Now then, onward!" Everything seemed fine and dandy, Kin would have shown the other midget who was boss. But a moment after your short speech...

You lost your footing on the orc's surprisingly slippery shoulders, and crushed your genitalia on the orc's head.

Yes. It probably hurt.

QuoteLog
[spoiler]Kin Sheel took 2 non-lethal damage.[/spoiler]

Damage Taken
[spoiler]Kin (non lethal): 2[/spoiler]

Zultar to roll reflex to avoid crashing down with Kin.

Zultar

[spoiler][blockquote]reflex 1d20+1 : 11 + 1, total 12[/blockquote][/spoiler]

Throndir

Kin and Zultar
Zultar's spiked helmet did indeed hurt. And as Kin came crashing down, the weight atop Zultar's shoulder managed to throw off his balance as well, and so too did the orc trip. Both of the mighty heroes fell unceremoniously on the ground, crashing with a loud thud that many an onlooker stood by and watched, their expressions mixed. Wintergreen too stopped, and furrowed his eyes.

[spoiler=Kin and Taty's passive perception]Though it was quiet, you managed to hear what Wintergreen said a moment later.

"Doomed. We're doomed." He said softly under his breath.[/spoiler]