[IC] The Winds of Fate vs White Ravens

Started by Throndir, August 11, 2014, 06:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

"Have you ever wondered what would happen if you put the top guilds of the city against each other in a fight?" The first announcer asked.

"Death!" The other replied enthusiastically.

"Well we're about to find out. The Guild of Galas'nor against the White Ravens!"

In the distance you see three figures, all dressed in white-themed clothing. Suddenly the arena starts to shift, the floor becoming more rocky, as huge slabs of stones start to rise, and jagged drops and edges litter the fields. A ceiling of earth starts to cover the skies; in just a few moments the arena had turned into a closed room. Strangely there was still light in the closed room, but from where it was hard to tell. The voice of the announcers were still easily heard however, as well as the shouts and cheers from the crowd.

"I changed my mind. I think I know what happens when two guilds go against each other."

"What is it?"

"They get squished."

QuoteEarth arena rules:
  • At the beginning of each round of turns, the arena shrinks.
  • Players at the edge of the map when the arena shrinks, are automatically pushed further in, triggering any attacks of opportunity due to movement.
  • Ground is treated as difficult terrain. Difficult terrain hampers movement. Each square of difficult terrain counts as 2 squares of movement. (Each diagonal move into a difficult terrain square counts as 3 squares.) You can?t run or charge across difficult terrain.

Mysticsage

"Well then shall we put on a good performance for the people watching." Said Kryas with a smirk. "After all this stage was built just for us after all, so let's start things off with a bang and let the curtain rise on our battle." As he said this he drew his crystal blade and with his free hand outstretched a set of pipes appeared which he quickly blew a slightly alluring tune.

[spoiler]Pipes of the sewers
perform check dc 10
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+17 : 15 + 17, total 32[/blockquote]

# of rat swarms summoned
[blockquote]Rolled 1d3 : 3, total 3[/blockquote][/spoiler]

Crystal echoblade
[spoiler]A crystal echoblade normally functions as a +1 longsword, but is enhanced by your musical ability. If you use your bardic music ability while wielding the weapon, the blade resonates in harmony, dealing additional sonic damage on each attack equal to half your bard level

A harmonizing weapon accompanies you in song if drawn, granting a +2 competence bonus on Perform (sing) checks.

In addition, if you hold a harmonizing weapon when you begin a bardic music effect, the weapon can continue the effect for you, allowing you to focus on other efforts. One round after you begin a bardic music effect that allows or requires continued use or concentration (including inspire courage, countersong, fascinate, inspire competence, inspire greatness, song of freedom, and inspire heroics), the weapon picks up and continues the performance flawlessly for 10 rounds, until you start another bardic music effect, or until you command it to end as a swift (mental) action.[/spoiler]

Annia Siadon

Annia had heard stories of the White Ravens guild. Skilled and powerful in their own right. Though not as old and ancient as the guild of Galas'nor, the White Ravens quickly took a place among the guilds considered the strongest in the city. The knight solemnly agreed with her companions words as she didn't waste anytime on drawing her bow as she moved forward.

"Valtean guide our paths and protect me from the trials ahead. Be the armor of our plight, and the shield of our ideals. Keep our faith unwavering as we charge into battle." As she began her words a sort of shimmering had appeared around her floating mid-air. The shimmering had became stronger and stronger, and by the time the knight had finished her prayer, a magical field surrounded her.

[spoiler]Move: Move 10 ft. north (my max movement is 20 ft). Draw weapon as part of the move action.
Standard: Cast Shield of Faith

QuoteShield of Faith
Abjuration
Level: Clr 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
This spell creates a shimmering, magical
field around the touched creature that
averts attacks. The spell grants the subject
a +2 deflection bonus to AC, with an
additional +1 to the bonus for every six
levels you have (maximum +5 deflection
bonus at 18th level).
Material Component: A small parchment
with a bit of holy text written upon it.

Effective AC: 19
[/spoiler]
Better a truth to be told openly, than lies spun to mask it.

Linwelin

Vladimir was shocked by exactly how much the field had changed. But when he saw how, he smiled with confidence. "Being indoors makes things much easier. A little more darkness wouldn't hurt, though." He said as he realized light still emanated throughout the cave-like arena.

Whatever I do, I can't let my urges get the better of me. I can't transform under the watch of this many people. Rather unfortunate, considering our opponents look to be skilled.

"For now, let's spread across the field. I'm confident in my ability for a solo fight, and can at least distract them until the both of you are ready." With that, Vladimir drew his blades and ran ahead, though he held a cautious stance, ready to dodge an attack at a moment's notice.

[spoiler]Draws Rapier and Kukri, moves north 3 spaces, and takes a total defense stance. Due to all my ranks in tumble, that adds +6 dodge bonus to my AC, plus the +2 from two weapon defense, which also has synergy with the stance.

Current AC is 27

Who knew you could make a rogue so tanky o.o haha[/spoiler]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Lance

Takeo

"We've kept you waiting..."

"Let's amend that."
Sena
Yuki

The unmistakable sound of rats fill the audience as several dozen of the nasty rodents appear in response to Kryas' pipes, relentlessly squeaking, squirming, and even biting at the occasional leg. -Unfortunately?-, however, none of the rats were able to breach the arena's interior. And within those enclosed (and ever-shrinking) walls, the Guild of Galas'nor members were the first to act, claiming precious ground and solidifying their foothold. However, the White Ravens, though not quite as fast as their Galas'nor counterparts, began taking their own formation, moving with such practiced fluidity and grace that the team seemed more like a single entity than a group composed of three separate individuals.

The white cloaks, for which the White Ravens guild was named, fluttered gently as one member charged, one took to the air, and one burst into song, singing a beautiful though eerie melody with words incomprehensible to the common ear. It wasn't long after that the former two began weaving together their own spells, divine radiance basking the White Ravens as they too took their stand.

[spoiler]Takeo moves 10 ft. south and casts a spell which Kryas recognizes as the Divine spell Foundation of Stone.
[spoiler=Foundation of Stone]1 target/level within a 30 ft burst receives +2 bonus to AC and +4 bonus on strength checks to resist bull rush/trip (+6 on mountainous terrain), but only for as long as they don't move and are on solid ground. Lasts 1 round/level[/spoiler]
Sena flies 15 ft. up and 15 ft. south and casts a spell no one amongst the Galas'nor group was able to recognize.
Yuki moves 10 ft. south and starts singing, which Kryas immediately recognizes as a Bardic ability of some kind.
[/spoiler]
"A wish? Okay, genie, make me a ham sandwich."

Linwelin

So all three are mages...damn. Guess defensive stances won't do anything this time. One of them is even FLYING...

"Nevermind, magic is one thing my skills can't really defend against. Time to attack." But right as he goes to charge, he realizes that none of them are moving after the man cast some sort of burst spell among them. Is the area dangerous to move in? Or...can they not move? Better be cautious here...

With that thought he retreats until within earshot of his compatriots once more. "I have a method to fight them that may work very well; in fact, I may even be able to fight the ones on the ground by myself. But due to a lack of resources, I can only have one of you accompany me. The other may be unable to fight well because of this, though you would most likely focus on whichever one could fly. Or are either of you able to see through magical darkness in some way?" Vladimir questions as he sheathes his blades, keeping a total defensive stance, just in case the enemy does not use magic.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Mysticsage

Kryas' blade shimmered and vibrated with the notes of his music continuing to replicate the tune he played while he himself shoved the pipes back into his bag of holding. He was miffed by the lack of results of his song and it clearly showed on his face. He had to think of a way of getting them inside. Given enough time they no doubt could burrow in on their own but by then who knew what might happen. Then an idea struck him a rather ingenious one at that.

"Take Annia, I can fight from a distance without much problem and most of my spells don't really need sight to work." With a wave of his hand he began casting a simple spell. Out of a shining ball of light popped a glowing beast with claws. A Badger, their ability to dig through almost anything should be more then enough for what he needed.

Kryas uses summon monster I

Celestial badger
[spoiler]    Celestial Badger
Size/Type:    Small Magical Beast (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice:    1d8+2 (6 hp)
Initiative:    +3
Speed:    30 ft. (6 squares), burrow 10 ft.
Armor Class:    15 (+1 size, +3 Dex, +1 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple:    +0/?5
Attack:    Claw +4 melee (1d2?1)
Full Attack:    2 claws +4 melee (1d2?1) and bite ?1 melee (1d3?1)
Space/Reach:    5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks:    Rage, Smite Evil 1/day
Special Qualities:    Low-light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Resistance to acid, cold, and electricity 5, Spell Resistance 6, scent
Saves:    Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities:    Str 8, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills:    Balance +5, Escape Artist +9, Listen +3, Spot +3
Feats:    Agile, TrackB, Weapon FinesseB
Environment:    Temperate forests in any good-aligned plane
Organization:    Solitary, pair, or cete (3?5)
Challenge Rating:    1/2
Treasure:    None
Alignment:    Always good (any)
Advancement:    2 HD (Small)
Level Adjustment:    ?

The celestial badger is a furry animal with a squat, powerful body. Its strong forelimbs are armed with long claws for digging. An adult celestial badger is 2 to 3 feet long and weighs 25 to 35 pounds.
Combat

Celestial badgers attack with their sharp claws and teeth.

Smite Evil (Su): Once per day a celestial creature can make a normal melee attack to deal extra damage equal to its HD (maximum of +20) against an evil foe.

Rage (Ex): A celestial badger that takes damage in combat flies into a berserk rage on its next turn, clawing and biting madly until either it or its opponent is dead. It gains +4 to Strength, +4 to Consitution, and ?2 to Armor Class. The creature cannot end its rage voluntarily.

Skills: A badger has a +4 racial bonus on Escape Artist checks. [/spoiler]

Seeing the fuzzball roll around in the dust of the stage for a moment fondly for a moment mentally he order the creature to dig a tuneel from the bottom of the arena to the outer grounds creating a passage for his other allies.

[spoiler]Badger Escape Artist check
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+9 : 6 + 9, total 15[/blockquote][/spoiler]

Annia Siadon

Annia pulled out a wand just as Vladimir finished speaking.

"I can see just fine." With that she activated the item, and within moments her eyes turned black. The knight focused on the battle ahead, knowing full-well what her appearance would have looked like to her companions. With that, she moved on forward, drawing her sword from her invisible sheath as if it had come from no where, all the while jumping and weaving through the rough terrain making her way towards their cloaked fighter.

The warrior was ready, but Annia took her stance. Running forward her blade encountered her opponent's. Jin sparked as the blades clashed, lightning running through each of the blades.

QuoteStandard: Use Eternal Wand of the Ebon Eyes on self.  Move: Drop bow (free), move 10 ft. forward draw Jin as a part of the move action.

5 Karma to take another full round action. I'll resolve the karma myself.

Fullround action: Full round attack. Two attacks due to speed. Each with +1d6 lightning due to Lesser Crystal of Energy Assault attached to Jin.

[blockquote]atk 15-20 threat 1d20+9 : 4 + 9, total 13[/blockquote]
[blockquote]dmg with 2h 1d10+7 : 7 + 7, total 14[/blockquote]
[blockquote]lightning 1d6 : 3, total 3[/blockquote]
[blockquote]atk 15-20 threat 1d20+9 : 4 + 9, total 13[/blockquote]
[blockquote]dmg with 2h 1d10+7 : 10 + 7, total 17[/blockquote]
[blockquote]lightning 1d6 : 1, total 1[/blockquote]

QuoteEbon Eyes

(Spell Compendium, p. 77)

Transmutation
Level: Assassin 1, Cleric 1, Sorcerer 1, Wizard 1, Spellthief 1,
Components: V, S, M,
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 10 minutes/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes (Harmless)

The subject of this spell gains the ability to see normally in natural and magical darkness, although it does not otherwise improve the subject's ability to see in natural dark or shadowy conditions. The subject ignores the miss chance due to lack of illumination other than total darkness. While the spell is in effect, a jet? black film covers the subject's eyes, a visual effect that gives the spell its name.
Material Component: A pinch of powdered black gemstone of any type.

QuoteLesser: This crystal adds an extra 1d6
points of energy damage of its type to the
weapon?s damage.

QuoteWhen making a full attack action, the wielder of a speed weapon may make one extra attack with it. The attack uses the wielder?s full base attack bonus, plus any modifiers appropriate to the situation. (This benefit is not cumulative with similar effects, such as a haste spell.)

Moderate transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, haste; Price +3 bonus.

Throndir

QuoteAnnia and Sena are on the same square. (Is that possible in D&D rules? As one is 15 ft up in the air? If not she'll take the square in front of Vladimir)

Annia Siadon

QuoteI'll use Counterstrike Bracers if an enemy fails against my AC. And activate displacement on my armor.

QuoteCounterstrike Bracers: 2/day take one free attack of opportunity after enemy's failed melee attack

QuoteDisplacement  1/day displacement for 5 rounds

Throndir

QuoteLeft to move: White Ravens.
I will be forcing movement tomorrow evening.

Lance

In a sudden display of great alacrity, Annia charged forward, swinging her blade twice in quick succession. However, before either of the paladin's blows could land a telling blow, they were repelled by the White Swordsman, who stood unmoving as if anchored to the ground. And as the two faced off silently appraising one another, the rest of the White Ravens went to work.

Descending from the skies, Sena immediately flew over to Takeo's aid. Light, tangible enough to be felt, was drawn to her side from all over as she flew, and when she finally arrived, hovering at a spot not 5 ft away, a quick glance between her comrades was all the experienced team needed to ascertain her intent. Thus, while slowly raising her arm, Sena began her chant.

[spoiler="Become our shield..." ]

"Let your radiance shine forth and drive out the darkness! Bring an end to our suffering as I call upon your name: Istus!"
[/spoiler]

No sooner had the word left Sena's lips before the light, that had until now been gathering around her, surged forth, enveloping the White Swordsman, Takeo, in its divine light, who had raised his sword in a synonymous motion. Such radiance was almost unbearable to look at directly, momentarily blinding those who did; the average man might as well be looking at the sun, such was the brilliance! It then wrapped around Takeo's form, losing none of its luster as it solidified into a shape not unlike full-plate armor.

Meanwhile, Yuki was not idling away and her song underwent several changes in both tone and pitch. However, such changes only served to heighten her performance by bringing in an added layer of dynamics on top of an already alluring melody. Had one not been looking at her hands though, constantly in motion and drawing tell-tale symbols across the air, one would have never guessed what she was really doing - Spellcasting.

Yuki's song reached a crescendo just as Sena's spell came into fruition and two pairs of small zombie hands pierced through the ground on either side of the Galas'nor paladin amidst a sudden burst of smoke and fog. Thanks to the timing, however, the zombies were able to swiftly extract themselves from the ground unmolested. Thus, strengthened by Yuki's song, Takeo's presence, and their advantageous position, the zombies wasted no time in attacking the paladin caught between them.

[spoiler=Actions]
Takeo raises his sword, somehow strengthening his allies. Both Annia and Kryas, however, were able to sense some kind of magic involved.
Sena casts a spell on Takeo, which both Annia and Kryas recognize as the Sanctified spell Luminous Armor.
[spoiler=Luminous Armor]
Abjuration
Level: Sanctified 2
Components: Sacrifice
Target: One good creature touched
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

This spell, favored among eladrins visiting the Material Plane, envelops the target in a protective, shimmering aura of light. The luminous armor resembles a suit of dazzling full plate, but it is weightless and does not restrict the target?s movement or mobility in any way. In addition to imparting the benefits of a breastplate (+5 armor bonus to AC), the luminous armor has no maximum Dexterity restriction, no armor check penalty, and no chance for arcane spell failure.

Luminous armor sheds light equivalent to a daylight spell and counters darkness spells of 2nd level or lower with which it comes into contact. In addition, the armor?s brightness causes opponents to take a ?4 to penalty on melee attacks made against the target. This penalty stacks with the attack penalty suffered by creatures sensitive to bright light (such as dark elves).

Sacrifice: 1d2 points of Strength damage.
[/spoiler]
Yuki casts a spell which Kryas recognizes as the Divine spell Summon Undead II
[spoiler=Summon Undead II]
Conjuration (Summoning) [Evil]
Level: Blackguard 2, cleric 2, sorcerer/wizard 2
Components: V, S, F/DF
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (25 ft. +5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: One or more summoned creatures, no two of which are more than 30 ft. apart
Duration: 1 round/level
Spell Resistance: No

The undead you summon appear in a burst of smoke and fog. The vapor swiftly dissipates, but you can?t shake the impression of screaming faces in the cloud?s tendrils.

This spell functions like summon monster I (PH 285), except that you summon an undead creature. Summon undead II conjures one of the creatures from the 2nd-level list or two creatures from the 1st-level list in the accompanying sidebar. You choose which creature to summon, and you can change that choice each time you cast the spell. Summoned undead do not count toward the total Hit Dice of undead that you can control with animate dead or the other command undead abilities. No undead creature you summon can have more Hit Dice than your caster level +1.

Focus: A tiny bag, a small (not lit) candle, and a carved bone from any humanoid.
[/spoiler]
Zombie Kobold #1 hits Ania with a spear and deals 5 damage.
Zombie Kobold #2 attacks Ania and misses.
Celestial Badger begins burrowing at the behest of its master.
[/spoiler]
"A wish? Okay, genie, make me a ham sandwich."

Annia Siadon

The White Ravens had always given Annia pause when she thought about the group. They were all divine casters, yet, what made them different was the fact they held undead as if they were their own servants. The very idea was ghastly to Annia. Vladimir, a methuselan, though was considered an undead proved himself time and time ago, nor was he anything like to any unthinking and unliving creature created just to server some possibly nefarious purpose.

When the kobold zombies appeared out of thin air, Annia had doubled back on her attack, deflecting one blow, but getting hit by one of the kobold's spear. The damage was only glancing, though she still had felt the impact clearly. As she prepared to launch herself at the White Raven's fighter, she pulled out the shield attached to her back, choosing instead to alter her stance and form. For all she knew, the spellcasters would keep summoning more of their minions to do their work, and if she didn't end the fight quickly, her team would have to deal with more than she hoped for.

These aren't normal priests Annia, be wary.

The knight responded sending forth an affirmative thought.

That's what the shield is for Jin.

In response there was a warm chuckle, but Annia hardly had time to join in his mirth as proceeded to clash swords with their fighter again. Jin flashing in sparks of lightning as the knight continued her relentless assault.

QuoteUsing a General knowledge check (regular Int check), to see what I know about the White Ravens (so it's official rather than in the shoutbox).
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+2 : 19 + 2, total 21[/blockquote]

Annia: Move: take out shield, Standard: Attack fighter

Paying 7 karma to take another full round action. I will resolve this myself.
Annia: Activate Heartseeking Amulet. Activating Combat Expertise for -3 atk, but +4 AC. Full round-attack.

QuoteHEARTSEEKING
AMULET
Price (Item Level): 3,000 gp (7th)
Body Slot: Throat
Caster Level: 15th
Aura: Strong; (DC 22) transmutation
Activation: Swift (command)
Weight: ?
Light refl ects from this tiny, dark, three-tined
amulet like the full moon shining on a tran-
quil swamp.
A heartseeking amulet allows your weapon
to pierce armor and scaled hides as if they
were air. When you activate this amulet,
the next melee attack you make is made as
a melee touch attack instead. If you don?t
make a melee attack by the end of your
turn, the effect is wasted.
A heartseeking amulet functions three
times per day.

QuoteThreatening Defender   
Reduce attack penalty with combat expertise by 1

Effective AC (with shield, combat expertise, and Shield of Faith): 26

Annia Siadon

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+6 : 16 + 6, total 22[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d10+5 : 7 + 5, total 12[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 5, total 5[/blockquote]

[blockquote]vs Touch AC 1d20+6 : 6 + 6, total 12[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d10+5 : 5 + 5, total 10[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 3, total 3[/blockquote]

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+6 : 3 + 6, total 9[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d10+5 : 9 + 5, total 14[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 3, total 3[/blockquote]

Annia Siadon

[blockquote]if first attack is a threat, Critical roll 1d20+6 : 20 + 6, total 26[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d10+5 : 6 + 5, total 11[/blockquote]