[Interest Check] Fight to Win - a stylish game of duels for survival.

Started by Kain, February 18, 2014, 04:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kain

Hey guys, just wanted to run an interest check for a Roleplay idea I had.

Here's the basic details:

The year is 2020. Meteor showers are spotted across the globe, from New York to Hong Kong. This day, Februrary 22, 2020 would be the day the Fight began.

You are special. Lucky, might be the better word. Or perhaps not. You were near one of the meteor crashes as it fell, and you were the first to get up close. What you found would change your life forever.

A box, plain and ordinary lies in the crater, in every crater across the world. Inside is an item of great power, a legendary artefact from ancient myth turned real. An item, and a cell phone. On that cell phone is a note simply stating,

"You are in the game now. Kill the others and the ultimate prize will be yours. It will be your truest desire. Fight to win, Holder."

------------------
The idea of the game is inspired by such things as Future Diaries and Battle Royale, pitting all players against each other to hunt each other down or form alliances to be the ultimate victor. You must be okay with dying to play this game, for there can only be one. At the same time, you may wish to hunt down unclaimed artefacts to gain an edge, or perhaps examine th mystery surrounding the items you carry.

The items themselves drawn from ancient myths such as Excalibur and Masamune. I am toying with the idea of giving everyone a random one from a list ill make. Everyone will also have their own personal character page where they will write their next move and I will Dm it. If two players meet a new thread will be made for their duel or discussion. Allying is possible but there is still only one winner. There will also be an in-game forum (super meta right?) for players to access through their phones. The phones will also grant additional abilities such as a one time favour, money, and escapes, etc.

The system itself will probably be something simple I cook up. I have some ideas, but I wanted to judge interest before I go on with it.

Let me know if you like the idea or if you have questions.

I write, I draw, and I turn into an eagle during sex.
Also I play Swift and Vanil.

Throndir

Kain

My two roommates will be in, and I can probably get a couple others too from outside the forums.

Mysticsage

Lance

That's an interesting thought, but my main concern would be the essence of this "game." Since players have to die to advance the story, then, by nature, only a single player would receive the full experience of all this has to offer-the victor. On the other hand, everyone else would only be taking part in just a mere fraction of the story. Just imagine how it'll be like for the first victim: something akin to playing some random video game for the first time, but only till the first level. They'd miss out on alot.

Don't get me wrong though; I like your idea. However, in order to keep the fun going even for those recently deceased, perhaps you can introduce some kinda Ghost System-a system where previous "holders" die and become "ghosts," which nets them a slew of whole new abilities but with extra limitations (such as only being active at night).

Alternatively, you can just make the game player-cooperative.

As for the system you're planning to use, I'd highly recommend something like D&D 3.5, which most people here already know and thus would feel more familiar with. Introducing an entirely brand new system is all well and good; it'd just put more strain on the players. However, it's not something you should necessarily shy away from, especially if you've already put a lot of thought into it. So long as the system's kept simple and easy enough for even a layman to understand then there should be no problems on that front either.

[spoiler=PS]
Make the year's setting 2012.

More fun(nier) that way.
[/spoiler]
"A wish? Okay, genie, make me a ham sandwich."

Throndir

3.5 and any of the D&D ilk are actually pretty rule-heavy, in my opinion go for something more light-rule based. XD But I'm interested either way.

Kain

Quote from: Mysticsage on February 19, 2014, 04:28:32 AM
cool what kind of system do you thin you'll end up using?

For the system I will be making something extremely rules light. It'll be something like 4 stats or so, ranging from 1 to 6. Something like Persona, Wits, Skill, Intelligence, something like that. Haven't nailed it down. I am toying with some different ideas for how combat works, but a lot of the main body of progression involves hiding from other players or having a high enough intelligence to track them or other artefacts down.

Quote from: Lance on February 20, 2014, 09:25:01 PM
That's an interesting thought, but my main concern would be the essence of this "game." Since players have to die to advance the story, then, by nature, only a single player would receive the full experience of all this has to offer-the victor. On the other hand, everyone else would only be taking part in just a mere fraction of the story. Just imagine how it'll be like for the first victim: something akin to playing some random video game for the first time, but only till the first level. They'd miss out on alot.

Don't get me wrong though; I like your idea. However, in order to keep the fun going even for those recently deceased, perhaps you can introduce some kinda Ghost System-a system where previous "holders" die and become "ghosts," which nets them a slew of whole new abilities but with extra limitations (such as only being active at night).

I like the idea of letting people carry on in some fashion. I will have to think on it, and how it will work rules wise. I approached this subject with the mindset of "If I die, then I get to read everyone elses posts". So when dead, you get to see all sides of the story as it continues, rather than just your narrow niche, as remember, you won't know what other players are doing unless they slip up and reveal themselves. I definately get why people might not be happy dying though. :P

Alternatively, you can just make the game player-cooperative.\

I may consider that and have the players start out against each other but band together without actually dying, or few deaths. It was always a possiblity. I think my main reason for a sort of PvP oriented game is because we don't seem to have anything like that on the forum. It's also just a bit of an experiment on my part to see if I can pull off something like this.

Make the year's setting 2012.

More fun(nier) that way.

Done.

Mysticsage

To be honest like I was saying before a simple d6 dice pool or d20/100 freeform may fit best with a simple rule set. D6 might work best in my opinion because a dice pool can do both attacking and damage without needing other dice. It's one roll that can calculate both things at once. So depending on the type of attack and a person's stats. You roll the number of allocated dice. If you beat that persons defense or opposed roll then you subtract the difference in damage. The anime rp does something similar but only counts doubles and the number of dice is based off traits and weaknesses you choose if you get rid of the doubles mechanic and just use traits or a stat block it should be rather simple.

The other way is a d20 d100 style freeform which is more of a d&d war hammer style. This would require more numbers over all and structure on the dm side but it would allow players to roll just one die at a time and not have to worry about anything else besides the outcome. This style requires more set up and background on your side with stat blocks, modifiers, equipment values so on ,but once it's in place it would be simple with a reference. None of which you would have to show the players beyond their modifiers and total armor values.

But those are just my point of view if you want something similar yet easier to pick up then d&d.

Otherwise with the game itself I suggest placing sanctuaries around where direct combat is prohibited so that non combat player types have a place they can run to and be safe between gathering info or artifacts. That way they have an added defensive of only being able to be caught when they are out hunting for what they are looking for. That way the squishy people have a chance of beating the more tanky aggressive players.

Kain

I will read up on the anime RP system you have Mystic. It sounds like what I want. As for sanctuaries, I was thinking about being able to hide in cities. A higher roll and better intelligence makes it very difficult for another player to track the "weaker" types because of their wits and know-how.

Thanks in general by the way everyone, for the feedback and suggestions.

Kain

Also I forgot to add. The thing about dying in the game is that it isn't too much of a big deal because you are still going to be playing on the other rps in the forum. That's just my thoughts on that.

Mysticsage

here is an example pdf for the anime rp i don't have the direct rules in place because its from a yet to be finished kickstater but this should be enough to give you a taste. If you want a closer look just give me a heads up and I can talk you through the more detailed stuff

http://www.wiseturtle.com/OVAPlayerBook-Miho.pdf

Throndir

I like perma-deaths! Just don't get too attached to your characters I say. XD

Well it looks like you have Throndir, Lance, and Mystic aboard. Hopefully more people join up. How about your two friends who you mentioned were interested?

Kain

They should be down. I may have one other also. We should get Wolfrin to join too.

Kain

Just so everyone knows I may not have time to start this for a couple months as I have a convention to prepare for.