The coming change

Started by Hasabushi, January 13, 2013, 11:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hasabushi

We'll it was bound to happen, and so now it is official, currently in the works is a 3 stage program to issue lock down's on all url's, then you as the customer have to purchase each block that you want to make viewable. Sounds crazy I know but cable company's like Cable One, Time Warner and Cox Cable are doing just that. In a few years possibly months, various bands will take place of various sites, like torrents, file share services and so forth. Cable One is already issuing bandwidth restrictions, similar to a cell phone plan. If you go over a certain amout of GB per month they charge you .20 per each gig you go over. Google is already working on a free internet service proxy, however most IP's will be blocking this service in the near future. This is ridiculous and makes no sense,  especially with us leasing bandwidth at a far less rate then most other countries.

What this will do:

1. Effectively raise the price on all hosting services and internet domains.
2. Allow the goverment or any other 3rd party with the funds, to intercept your email, website viewing, etc.
3. Create a form of censorship like the US has never seen.
4. Limit your use of such programs as Netflix, Youtube and etc.
5. Limit your bandwidth, services like Xbox Live and PS3 Station, would have to purchase time online to use their services, this is on top of the price of the regular service.

I'd like to hear others comments on this.

Emperor Wilbers

Wow, that all is sucky. Is this possibly coming, or is a fosho thing?

Hasabushi

It's already happening, with cable one in particular they are doing a bandwidth limit now, if you exceed over 100GB's in a months time it cost you .50 per each gigabit, (it was .20). I know that 100GB's seems like a lot but each Netflix movie or you tube download is anywhere from 700mb to 1.5GB, online gaming can use anywhere from 400mb's to 5GB per hour. Surfing the web can easily use 1GB of data, just by surfing a few auto refreshing pages. It's ridiculous and its going to end up like cell phones first started out, being a giant cash cow >_<

Throndir

I've been following internet regulations for awhile, and I'm just going to assume it'll get worse rather than better. Especially with that bandwidth limit, you should try switching to an unlimited plan of some sort. D: Is Cable One the only option there?

Hasabushi

Where I am yes it is, although it's not going to matter soon as AT&T will be doing the same thing, they are already in the process of having the software added to their current system. It's going to get tighter too as you'll be purchasing blocks of bandwidth/limits.

lightspeed15

This is complete bull, in my opinion. Where did you hear of this? is there a link you can share with us possibly?

Manzokushi

No this appears to be legitimate news. Here is a CBS article outlining some of the possible changes in our very near future.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/01/04/cable-companies-look-to-raise-cost-for-heavy-internet-use/

Hasabushi

Throndir

I was looking at that earlier today from the comments in the article Manzo linked, it might take years for them to have it out though. D:

I'd be happy with fast unlimited internet~

lightspeed15

Just realized my statement may have been misinterpreted. When I said "This is complete bull" I was not saying that Hasabushi was lying, I was refering to the fact that they're trying to restrict our internet usage! Lol