Should We Create a Community Game?

Started by lightspeed15, July 25, 2012, 02:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightspeed15

So, I am finally provoking the big question. Should we do it? I know we have talked about, but as mrlemke pointed out, we need a final decision.

So I stole his idea and made a poll. Sssshhh  :bounce:

Anyways, if we do decide to make the game, we will need to put together a team. We will also need to decide if we are using a game engine, or if we are coding this from scratch. (game engines will be slightly less work, such as RPG VX, but coding from scratch will be more creative and present more options!)

So far, the only coder that I'm aware of is mrlemke. :S Ouch, that's a blow to the team

But anyways, the positions we will need are:
[spoiler]
Story Developers
Musicians
Graphics Designers
Pixel Artists (possibly)
Scripters
Project Leader (will be based on community vote possibly??)

and other things which anyone can propose.[/spoiler]

Now, I already know that Hasabushi and I could do graphic design, and I have some experience with music, but it's mostly urban music I make (hip-hop). mrlemke is a scripter and he's shown interest so we can sign him up there. But still, basically all those positions are vacant but are subject to change, depending on the way we wish to create the game.

Please vote, and proceed to discuss the game.

:beer:

mrlemke

Hell yeah, let's tear it up!

If we use an authoring tool or an engine, we ought to stick to something free so cash-less bill paying people (like me) can contribute too. I know of several different authoring tools that we can use, although I would push for Game Maker (although GM is more of a mix between authoring tool and engine) or Legendary Tales.

Depending on what graphics the game will need, Game Maker 4.3 (there's a reason I use the old one) can handle pretty much whatever 2D we may need and it's easy enough all of can work in it. Reason I use 4.3 is because it's the last freeware release, was the base for the interface being used in 5-8, and works on WINE/XP/7. 4.3 ain't gimped at all unless you want to do 3D.

lightspeed15

3D would be fairly challenging, but we could set our sights on doing a 3D game later down the line. I think 2D is fine for now. I'll try checking out GameMaker.

mrlemke

Here's a link to download 4.3. It isn't as easy to find anymore (go figure).

Also, I just noticed I had a lot of different kinds of VB6 MMORPG engines (and VB6) if anyone wanted to go that route.

Hasabushi

There are some good ideas here, I can also help with music and video intro's, I also do voice overs if thats needed. I'm thinking that we need a project to draw attention to our site and this could be the way to go. A VB6 MMORPG gets my vote. It would be something we could not only create but also play together.

mrlemke

So, if it turns out that there is enough support, we should probably change the poll to one about what authoring tool or engine we want to use. I'm fine with whatever reaches consensus.

lightspeed15

What engine would we use? The only one I've heard of is vbGore

mrlemke

I prefer pre-Origins Eclipse (uses flat files and sprite sheets, although if we make all the graphics ourselves Origins should be ok). Although, if we want more freedom with the license we could do a Mirage Source 4 and build it up (it would take longer, and won't be worth it if the EO license ain't an issue).

lightspeed15

I think we WILL end up making the sprites ourselves. I'm thinking about looking online and learning, but we DO have Baramos and he is really good spriter. He's done swords, houses and stuff.

http://forum.fantasyworldcreations.com/independent-projects/my-latest-project/msg1887/#new

Check post #5 for his work.

mrlemke

Wow, he's got some good stuff.

Also, I can dedicated host a MMORPG server if necessary. Not right this second, it's in limbo so I will have to setup again. Probably within a couple days.

Throndir

If you guys decide on an engine, and have a plan, I'd love to help. Just decide on the engine first so I can take a look if any of my skills would be useful.

Emperor Wilbers

I am SOOOOOOOOO involved! I call the Story Developer dude. YES! (panda)

mrlemke

In order to reach a consensus on the engine, is anyone else interested in developing for community game in favor of using a VB6 MMORPG engine or even care?

lightspeed15

I honestly don't care. An MMORPG would be interesting but more work (I think?).

mrlemke

Yes, it would be more work, but that's mostly in the content department.