[Interest Check] Short adventures/Guild of Galas'nor

Started by Throndir, April 30, 2012, 10:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

Wasn't planning on posting this. But figured might as well after having post that zombie one.

Anyways, this RP would really work better with more active players on the forums. Since the concept behind this one would work really well if there were plenty of players. The focus on this are short adventures. That could potentially make way for multiple DMs, as well as different mechanics if that DM so chooses. More on this in a bit.

Setting
The setting will be fantasy + magic. D&D-esque. Well, it would take place in my world of Elodria. In the city of Ternadan. However, individual settings of the adventures can very well take place in other places. All facilitated by...

The Guild of Galas'nor
This guild is an adventuring/jobs guild. Its sole purpose is to give its members a sense of belonging, as well as accomplishing jobs and tasks given to them by wealthy individuals, or people looking for help. This can include, but is not limited to, finding objects to retrieve, defeating bandits, defeating some monster in the area, travelling to some place, protecting a caravan, doing misc. jobs, etc. The Guild of Galas'nor is deigned to be a good guild. So most if not all jobs posted on their "Jobs Board" would probably be okay. Assassinating evil overlords? Well, perhaps.

Jobs
Jobs will be posted on the jobs board (which will be a thread). Jobs will be listed from S class, A class, B class, etc. (the difficulty of the job). Players then choose a job to do. They do this by creating a new topic/thread, something along the lines of choosing the job. The DM for that particular job would then go about DMing that adventure. There's no set number of players who can do a job, but there will be a recommended number. All jobs should be short. As in, if it's a job to kill a giant ogre terrorizing the farms. The job should automatically skip to the party entering the ogre's lair. The DM can just retcon and detail out how the finding the lair/talking to the villagers/other info went about. Jobs, in essence, will be just for gaining exp/fighting. There will be roleplaying there, but will focus more on the combat.

Creating Jobs
Anyone can post up jobs. More than likely though, I, Throndir, will do most of it. Jobs should be short and direct. However, if the DM happens to be someone else other than me, then that DM just comes back to me with the results of the roleplay. Exp earned, items earned. Or that DM just goes on ahead and edits the pages themselves. (Or ask his players too).

Concurrent Jobs
For this RP, and to also stress out the idea of getting many things done as quick as possible. The same character can be in multiple jobs at the same time. Just assume that one job happened before or after the other. Exp earned in both jobs count as well as gear/items earned.

Roleplaying extent in jobs
You can do roleplaying if you so wish. But because I know writing up a response takes sometime, and because of the fact that this type of RP, at least the jobs, are focused on combat/dungeon crawls. Then go ahead and do quick and short replies.

Freeform and random roleplaying
There will be a Commons area where players can roleplay as if they were in the commons area of the Guild of Galas'nor. Any sorts of events can happen, and depending on what does happen, it can very well affect the whole of the Guild of Galas'nor. Because there is no "exp" in freeform roleplaying, I will make out a sort of formula to determine how much exp a character earns (would relate to the length of their post, what actions they take, and what they say, what events are introduced). Updating exp will be a job done by me. Since, well, I'm sure I'll find the time. (I seem to always do).

If need be, I can write basic descriptions of the city of Ternadan, or the outlying areas to facilitate freeform RPing.

Limits on Freeform
The limits of freeform RPing is the amount of wealth your character has, as well as what gear they have with them. Those things should be earned solely from taking on jobs.

Length and Leveling Frequency
Because jobs will be short and to the point, as well as the incorporation of exp for freeform roleplaying. Leveling up will be frequent. I want it so that there are high level players earlier and faster. (Taking a look at the Silver Arms RP. It's been going on for a year, and everyones just around level 2-3). One job could possibly equate to a whole level. But we'll see.

The point of leveling
Every job will gain plenty of exp. As well as rewards in the form of money or enchanted gear. There will be shops in the Guild of Galas'nor of course.

Guild-wide events
Another thing I'd like to mention is the idea of guild-wide events. These are events that I can put into play to bring all the players together for something. In this case, all members of the Guild of Galas'nor are sent a private message, and they themselves can choose to participate or not.

Limitations for FWC
Well, the biggest is of course, this idea would work soo much better if we had plenty of players. I can almost see multiple games running at the same time. Frequently and often. However, with out number of users, something like this is really for the future if ever. The idea of short and quick RPs are appealing though, and so I may just run this, but with modifications so that it works better for a smaller number of players.

Interest check
Same as the zombie one. What's the interest level? Also I know very well that the entirety of this idea works better with many members. BUT, something like this on a small scale might work too. I mean, it'd be cool to have at least a lvl 20 characacter within a year of forum roleplaying... *cough*SilverArms*cough*.

Hasabushi

I like this, the way its laid out seems very functional and reminds of MMO's :D