[Interest Check] D20 Modern, mundane, zombie RP?

Started by Throndir, April 30, 2012, 09:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

I've been thinking of a scenario/storyline of an RP based around that. I'm still planing it out, as well as encounters, but I do have enough of an outline to start an RP on it.

Anyways, one of my goals was to roleplay different genres, but I guess DMing a game counts on it.

Setting
Still deciding on the setting, however, it's a safe bet this would take place pre-modern, or perhaps modern. The RP will center around a mansion, without any blatant modern weapons such as guns. It is more mundane as well, as try to think of the RP as something that could happen in real life. No magic or sorcery. (Well, there's zombies, but zombies are required. :<)

Characters
The characters for this RP are the player party, as well as NPCs who either reside or work at the mansion. This includes the player classes of butlers, maids, gardeners, chefs, and doctors. Each character class will have special abilities or skills that will help out the entire party. A maid, for example, might have the ability to unlock most of the doors in a house (being that she has keys). A gardener, access to tools. Doctors, knowledge of how to treat wounds (and likewise bonuses on the d20 equivalent of a heal check). I will also, from time to time, depending on the player's class, give out hints through private messages to that player.

Mortality rate
I originally thought of this RP having a high mortality rate, however, because of the fact that we have so few players who might be interested in this, I suppose mortality would go to the NPCs. That doesn't mean however that I wouldn't mind killing off a player character. After all I try not to fudge dice rolls. It is to be expected that zombies can 2 hit characters.

System
Because I'm thinking that mechanics will place some limitations on the RP. I've decided to use D20 as a base, but will customize lots of things in it that would more easily facilitate the sense of urgency, and danger. This will translate into more mundane stats of characters. Ability modifiers within the range of -1 to +1. What would separate characters more are their personalities, as well as their sets of skills as dictated by their class. I'm choosing to opt out any kind of battle grid, as this RP will center more around surviving. However, if it's not too limiting, I may introduce a battle grid again. I plan to keep the character's level at level 1 for the entirety of the roleplay. I'll attempt to make this RP more freeform. Besides, most of the rules and structures to games goes into combat and magic. Magic's no on the list, as for combat, with the fact that everyone's low level, and I plan to have damage a bit more higher than usual, it should either end quick, or the players running away. (Zombies are scary after all).

Note on Character Classes
The only occupations that will be used in this RP, are the ones that I had previously mentioned. Maids, butlers, gardeners, doctors, and chefs.

Who would be interested
Anyways, the purpose of this thread is to see who will be interested. If you think it's something you'd do, post here that you'd be interested. And/or other comments, questions, improvements, and suggestions you may have.

Hasabushi

Sounds very interesting :D Its def something  I would try, the character classes sound fun!

Linwelin

Yes, I'm definitely in. And, btw, I'm a butler. Idk why, but I really want to be!
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Throndir

Awesome. :D I'm starting the process of doing prewriting, as well as plotting everything I have on my head on paper. It'll be a week or two until it actually starts, and I'd also wait until we have all interested to say so too. Seeing who the characters will be will help me decide what kind of encounters I should add.

This RP will also be more roleplaying heavy. Mostly because a majority of dice rolls are in combat, and combat wouldn't happen all too often (I suspect), but I may be wrong.

Linwelin

As a former (but shortlived) GM, I can say you can go a long, interesting way with skill check challenges. I'm looking forward to this, it's rare for me to play this style of RP game.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Hasabushi