Arc 1 Clark Solo: New Town Old Tropes

Started by Mysticsage, July 06, 2017, 04:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mysticsage

The summer before school started depending on Clark's cruelly long because there was nothing to do and he was dying of bordem, or it was cruelly short as the school year approached and this meant that he would be chained to small town life even longer. What worse is the school cut into his summer a few weeks early for a school field trip for sophmores to New York and the Met. Being pushed by his grandparents to go since they knew he would rather the break. Wether this glimpse into his old life was a moment of relief or little more then an empty bottle to a man dying of thirst only time will tell. Being one of the few transfer studensts in the school he stood out like a sore thumb as people both watched his every move and yet avoided him like the plauge. This was a glimpse into his new school life one of the many sideshows that both fascinated and frieghtened small town life. Half uttered whispers of his family life occassionally metting his ears.

It did not matter that the heat that summer across the entire Northeast was enough to boil a rattlesnake's blood. So the entire bus was more then happy to get out of the oven that was the bus and museum. The only problem is that everything but the emergency exhibit cooling was working there as well under the open glass roofs. So the tour that the school had planned was playing out like a walk through hell. One of the few exhibits that did have cool air was a new babylonian exhibits. Looking to get out of this sweat pit and away from the eyes and whispers Clark doubled back following a trail of a handful of other students to the exhibit. The hall was dark with all kinds of pieces from the mundain shards of clay to metal works depicting dieties in the like. Memories of his parents fluided his senses then as he tried to push the phantoms down and lose himself in the history. They had spoken about an exhibit in the near future before they died at the Met. Sure enough he saw his parents name on one or two of the small golden plaques by key pieces

At the center of the exhibit was a lecturn with an ancient book the class had walked through the hall affording Clark only a glimpse but now freshly emptied he could see the tome in totallity. However the group of students seemed to huddled around the High Priest book as well. However something seemed off. The book had been protected by a heavy glass case and yet now it seemed missing, shattered to bits on the ground. Some one had broken the case and managed to not raise an alarm whats more a strange smell filled the air as if some one had lit prayer insence. A candle burning dark black dripping wax on its pages seemed to be the topic of conversation. Clark was about to say something when all of the sudden the room began to spin and sway. The other students seemed to be feeling it too because one after another everyone in the room seemed to faulter. The candle fell then seeting the book and the room ablaze with dark purple fire. Clark being closest to the door attempts to turn to call for help but a light from the room suddenly blinds him and then in the dark void between his eyes and his lids he sees a robbed woman sitting at a table she says something to the group and then is gone.

When Clark wakes up again there is no fire or yelling adults, but instead you are back on the bus again sitting as he had been in the back the trip finished with no major problems. Listening to the whispers of the other students there wasno mention of the fire or what went on in the room and due to the size of the group no one who had been in that room with you or saw that strange robed woman was riding with you. Everyone around you seemed to have no idea of a fire when you asked several even claiming that you followed the tour the entire time even showing a class photo with you in it that you have no memory of taking. Not wanting to add even more to your reputation you decide to drop the whole thing for the time being. However, almost every night since that cloaked woman or what went on in that museum has haunted your dreams. Not to meantion the strange energy that has left you on edge that seems to hang around town ever since. As questions of who that woman was and what could have happened that day fill your waking hours.

However, no answers have been forth coming and now it is the first day of school at Washington High
[info]Please feel free to read the proluge as you like for more background and flavor as you please[/info]

Mysticsage

August 21st
The heat had yet to let up from the summer, but the trip was otherwise uneventful the glances and whispers were ever present but not overly intrusive. Going to his locker before homeroom Clark would be able to sense many giggles and sneers but looking up he would be able to make eye contact. Eventually, he is able to make his way into his home room.

The teacher enters the classroom slowly carrying a hand full of papers. Some students groan slightly after seeing who it is. Mr. Smith one of the school's history teachers. He has gained a reputation for his dry humor and general edge that has made him obviously popular amongst some of the female students and hated by the male students. He threw himself slightly disheveled and yawning into the chair behind his desk.

"Listen up guys, there is an announcement I'm supposed to read you."

Dear students,

Welcome to a brand new year at Washington high. We the facility and parents cannot wait to see what you make of yourselves this year. We hope to provide an environment for personal growth and achievement that will pave a path to your future selves. To further this endeavor we are instituting a new mandatory extracurricular program that is to come in effect immediately. Students will be required to join and participate in a maximum of two clubs. The decision on what clubs to join must be made within the first few days or your homeroom teacher shall do it in your stead. Please keep in mind that due to the number of students that must be serviced that all choices once men are final and cannot be changed under any circumstances. We hope this change will make the year a memorable one.

All the best in the New Year!
   PTA and The Principle-

"I was told to tell you that you can sign up at the notice board right outside the classroom and that homeroom will be extended for the first period so that you all can have a look."

Slowly he yawned as he finished, "So there you have it I would get thinking if I were you guys." Some people broke into groups others still directly left the classroom looking to get their spots quickly. Others still seemed not to have been paying attention at all sleeping or holding back as if out of nervousness. You notice a group of girls in the front of the classroom giggling and staring in your seat at the back one seemingly pushed in your direction before the whole pack escapes out into the hall. They were treating you like some kind of animal at the zoo placing bets on who was going to put their hand in the lion's cage.

"Ignore them, the girls in this town go crazy when there is a new boy who looks even reasonably human. They don't mean any harm." A girl had approached when Clark were not looking maybe 5'5 looking as if a strong wind might blow her over. Her face was taken up by thick oval frames highlighting her pale eyes. Her ink black hair was cut short and braided with her bangs hanging in a short fringe. Yet this seeming ghost of a girl stood before clark and seemed to be looking past him to his soul. "My name's Iris, Iris Favor. Your the nre transfer student right?" For once someone seemed not to recognize the new kid.

pringerbeam

Clark froze for a second at the girls' approach, unsure at what the intent was behind the conversation.  He didn't think anyone would approach him after that last fight.  His pause suddenly feeling too long when he got around to responding. "Um, yes, I did transfer in.  What do you want?"  He really did not want to deal with this right now.  He looked over to the door, wondering about those clubs.  He started to angle himself towards the door hoping to speed up the conversation.

Mysticsage

"Oh, nothing much your just new, and I was taught it's rude to gawk." She said matter-of-factly without seeming to care or notice Clark's discomfort. "It can be lonely in small towns I know from experience, so feel free if you get lost or lonely feel free to ask for help I have nothing better to do regardless." With that, she dug a dime store novel out of one of her jean pockets and lost herself in it before simply turning to leave seemingly done with her business not bothering with a response. You do notice however even as she leaves the classroom and into the hall, people are either moving things out of her way or completely dodging her due to what seemed more than out of kindness.

pringerbeam

Clark watched the girl walk away wondering to himself: What was that about and what kind of a name is Favor?  Noting the movements of the other students he continued his train of thoughts with For the bookish sort she sure seems to get some treatment.  Hopeflly I didn't just make trouble for later.  Letting out a sigh at the thought of having to deal with the student body politics he made his way for the hallway to take a look at the sign up sheets with the hopes that any good clubs won't already be full by the time he got there after this minor delay.

Mysticsage

As Clark makes it out into the hall it appears as if he was right to be afraid, as the entire school seemed to be out in the halls at once not something that this aging high school can handle well. It was as if the entire sophomore class, or at least as many as could fit outside the classrooms when no one was moving like this. It seems that that the other teachers had simply let the flood water loose without any kind of system in place to keep people from being crowded out.  It felt thick like the crowds of New Dehli in one of the markets thick with elbows and the smell of sweat and adrenaline as  teenaged bodies slam together as the jockeyed for position.

Clark is currently at the back of the pack, and he would be able to make it to the front otherwise it would require some serious work to make it to the front.

[info]
Give me a quick athletics streetwise check plus base 2
[/info]

pringerbeam

[info]Streetwise+Atheltics: 6 Dice
[blockquote]Rolled 6d6 : 5, 3, 4, 4, 3, 2, total 21[/blockquote][/info]

Mysticsage

The moving was difficult and required a fair amount of elbowing and pushing to slip through the undulating mass of teenage bodies. Eventually, after a minute or so Clark manages his way to the front of the line. The list was a mess people's names were scrawled hastily and at times incompletely. However, there seemed to be more than enough slots open in any of the clubs. Clark remembers that he has to decide on two

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1H3hZef1sH2BAJTd_ihqTJbtKGVUIVxLwS5hYo6sEwcM/edit?usp=sharing

pringerbeam

Clark finally pushed his way to the front of the crowd  and looked over the club sign-up sheets to see what was on offer.  Naturalist club... Might be a good way to get out of here every now and then.  He took one of the hanging pens and wrote his name down.  Tapping his chin with the end of the pen he looked over the other sign-up sheets.  Definitely don't want to join one of those student government clubs... or sports.  He continued to scan the pages until a relatively unpopulated list caught his eye.  Hmmm...  Not many people in this club, and it seems like it would be quiet.  Seems like a safe enough choice.  Taking the pen he signed up for his second club: Puzzle Club.  His mission accomplished, Clark slid his way out of the throng of students to try and make his way back to the classroom, pondering what he will do with the rest of the free period.

[info]Clark signs up for Naturalist Club and Puzzle Club[/info]

Mysticsage

Little did Clark know how little of his free period he would actually be able to use as he got grabbed by the shoulder and forced to make an about face. A teenaged boy was grabbing him by the shoulder before he let him go, who stood a half a head taller and a good bit wider than Clark. His freckles, pale green eyes and fiery red hair made him the poster child for Irish decent.

He was obviously upset about something as his cheeks were flushed pink and he was slightly winded from having to push through the masses of people. The calls of the crowd for club openings must have drowned out his approach. He was flanked by what Clark could only assume to be friends of his as they watched a few feet away blocking you two off from the crowd. at this close you can tell that he is wearing a school made Undershirt for some team at the school beneath his t-shirt with the name Adams embroidered just high enough for you to see.

"Hey New Kid," He huffed his voice tight but not really threatening "You're that big world traveling Hot Shot yeah who has been causing fights yeah?" The question more an accusation than anything else. "I don't care what you do with your own life but don't go getting chummy with Iris Favor she has a weak constitution and cannot be getting drug into your shit." Which beyond the obvious intent his sudden outburst was made even more ironic by the fact that he fit the role of the troublemaker stereotype then you did with how he held himself and his general disorganized lock that made him look like he was trying for grunge and falling somewhere between jock and lumberjack with an open flannel shirt and torn weathered jeans and weathered boots.

"Otherwise you and I are going to have some serious problems you get me Indiana?" He unconsciously puffed his chest to cement his meaning.

pringerbeam

Clark let out a sigh.  "Look... Mate... I don't get what is going on here but I don't know Iris.  I just met her today and didn't do anything to her."  Flicking his hand across his shoulder where his new aquaintance had grabbed him he continued.  "That said, I think that Miss Favor can get by on her own just fine there Ginger Snap.  So how about we just chill and stay out of each other's way."  He looked at the other two members of the crew, trying to see if they were there to fight or just along for show.

[info]Streetwise roll to try and gague how ornery these guys are if applicable.[blockquote]Rolled 4d6 : 3, 5, 2, 2, total 12[/blockquote][/info]

Mysticsage

These guys were harder to read than you first expected the boy in front of you was large and imposing and feeling as if he was getting larger by the second. This close Clark could now tell that he stood a full head taller than him, but then his opponent had yet to move.  This Adams was obviously impassioned by more than just concern, but identifying what exactly he was so distraught over was hard to identify. He was by far the most flush, but no one seems to be moving to accelerate the confrontation at this moment, and no one from the surrounding masses seemed to take notice or care to intervene.

At Clark's words Adams clenches a fist but his friend puts a hand on his shoulder which seems to snap him out of his anger long enough to make him take a step back and give you space to breathe. "Your Reputation precedes you knowing her luck and her oblivious nature she thinks you're some side character in one of her stories. She has no concept of her own safty so its up to those around her to keep her from larger problems. "You get me? I'll lay off you if you keep the trail of angst and problems to yourself otherwise we'll be having problems instead."

pringerbeam

Clark puts his hands up in surrender.  "Okay, okay, geeze... Stay away from Favor.  I heard you the first time .  Wasn't planning on it before and not planning on it now.  So can we please just get on with our lives?  You've got to have something better to do than greet the new kid."  Taking a step back to put a little bit of distance from Adams and his crew, Clark continues to keep his hands up.  "So can I go now?"

Mysticsage

His frieds after hearing  Clark's response and the boy Adam's slowly cooling his head he simply nodded. "Agreed, Class will be getting started soon anyway." With that he left into the masses as quickly as he and his group appeared. Though the whole event seems to have flustered them because none of them went to sign up for clubs. It was good luck too since the bell for homeroom was going to ring in a few minutes not nearly enough time for everyone to sign up. Heading back into class now able to breath you were able to go back to your desk and relax for a moment before class began.

You have four classes before you have a chance to have a break and lunch time closed to mid day. As first days go its slow as usual the same cliched introductions are made and the same basic rules and materials covered. Clark has plenty of opportunities to do his own thing as he sits often in the back of the classroom and is generally left alone. Even skip third period entirely if he so chooses. However History with his homeroom teacher is first thing and as a result skipping him without calling out sick will be noticeably difficult. It is also notable how cramped these classrooms are despite their size. This high school looks like it was built back in the fifties with narrow halls and slim work spaces. The lack of central air and 40 kids on average in a class made it like a sweat box by the time the first lessons are wrapped up not that many of the other spces besides the gym or the cafeteria are much better. Obviously what little tax money the area was getting it was not going to the school.

One thing you do notice regardless of in or out of class is that the air of the entire school is on edge like the few days you spent in Egypt with your parents before hidden agendas forced you to be sent home stateside before them. Whatever was going on both the teachers and students seemed flustered. You even saw one or two students stand up out of nowhere when called upon to answer a question through the day before realizing how odd it was afterwards and flushing with embarrassment. Several other behind the scene changes could be felt but it was difficult to tell what they were without looking more closely.
[info]
If you want to make a investigation/perception check roll streetwise  -1 for aloof attitude

Tell me if you actually make an effort to participate, just relax, or skip class when able
[/info]

pringerbeam

Clark zones out by staring out at the cloudless sky as classtime passes, perking up at the students' behavior.  Something seemed familiar in the way they were acting.  He wracked his brain trying to remember what was nagging at him.  The frustration of the nagging feeling compunding with his boredom mounts and when third period comes around he tries sneaking out of the classroom in the bustle between periods, seeking to get outside for some fresher air than the stagnant atmosphere of the classroom.

[info]Streetwise Roll[blockquote]Rolled 3d6 : 1, 5, 5, total 11[/blockquote]
Let me know if you need me to roll something to ditch class[/info]