Mysticsage's-novel writing project experiment

Started by Mysticsage, February 02, 2016, 04:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mysticsage

[info]So I'm in a Novel Writing class at the moment and I thought I might occasionally post my progress and force myself to keep up the pace and get some feed back in the process.

This is going to be fifty pages of a novel and will be very much a work in progress so don't expect to much off the bat XD

I'd love any feed back feel free to just reply directly to my posts or send me a pm if you like. [/info]

Mysticsage

When the final confrontation between the forces of the demon king and those who had rebelled against his rule. The winners of this battle would define the future for generations to come. The Demon king's forces had many of the magic colleges on their side and had harnessed the monsters of the world to fight on their side. Legions of those trained in the magical and martial arts stood side by side with the likes of dragons and werewolves. That was the kind of nightmare the rebels faced without hesitations. They believed they held the favor of the gods on their side and perhaps they were not wrong. Five champions stood in gleaming armor from those who wished to stake their own claims. Those men and women who thought they were to change the world and save it from impending darkness. Many of them even had the Demon king's own blessing and favor before they had broken away. But now there was no turning back with the Demon king's family slaughtered by the plots of others.

Mad with loss he had sent forth what remained from his forces using the powers he had mastered to gather more to the cause. They had marched from the forest and the mountains through towns and cities. It was only through the grace of the gods that more were not in his path of war. This man who gave himself to those completely to those he loved had been damned cursed by the folly of others. So he embraced the darkness without question. The flames of war burned bright across our fair land. The Floating Mountain fell from the heavens the oceans raged with never ending storms. Beautiful things like the temple of the crying maiden with its crystal spires smashed to bits. However, no matter how the king who became a demon raged he could not find his vengeance. Bolstered by the strength of the king's former allegiances they were able to keep a hold and grow in strength where they should have fallen leading to what would be the final confrontation in this ghastly affair.

As the world was being torn apart from the inside out by the forces at play everything was to come to a head at a valley split into by the river of
Sera one of the largest rivers on the western continent. Here at this valley between two large hills the river is only knee deep and the current gentle. The multitude of flowers that existed here were more varied than the rainbow. However in the years of the war all the life in that valley had dried up and withered into ash and mulch. One might call it an ideal place for a battle. See it as something for the painters of the victor to embolden for the sake of history. It takes actually being there to understand the grandeur and pure atrocity of the event

The fields and hills where black with the blood of thousands of foolhardy men and beast alike as the sun. The large river that had naturally designated each side's area of control but with this much death and destruction almost all sense of control had been lost. But what more could one expect from the actions of those who would betray their king. This battle where more bodies could be seen. The five heroes stood atop the corpse of an ancient black dragon with scales that shown as if it was made of the knight sky with rows of teeth like stars. Its breed breathed poisonous death upon the masses from the sky wiping out friend and foe alike. It was through magic and trickery that they killed the thing understanding that if it came crashing to the earth then they might have a chance to get passed its nay impregnable scales. With the king's pet destroyed they moved where he sat overlooking the battle from a cliff. He most likely knew his time had passed and was looking to leave this land with one final taunting move at those he felt betrayed by...

--- [authors note:transition?]

"If you don't stop reading that book amelia and eat something then I'm gonna rip that book from your hands " A teenage girl said dryly with a mouth full of greens. It was already mid way through her lunch break at the semi filled coffee shop and she had her own things to talk about.

"Oh, sorry Julie I got on a roll-" Said Amelia her cheeks flushed slightly as she pushed her rimless small reading glasses up her face from where it had fallen before taking a bite of her own lunch. "I'd just gotten to the big climax and I thought you would want to know what happened to the demon king and his family. Can you believe that his daughter fell in love with one of the men who would join the-"

"Speaking of love what's going on between you and Sam, he's invited you to that party tonight right?" Julie always knew how to push her friend's buttons. Amelia pursed her lips in anger as she looked out the window contemplating how to answer. It was supposed to start raining sometime later that evening. A good soaking rain which the area could use after an unusually warm summer for seattle. That kind of storm always made her hair stand on end. Not that she cared she loved hearing the sound of rain falling it always felt like the sky was sighing in relief washing away all the built up tension in her back and shoulders. She rolled her arms instinctively then favoring an old injury.

"maybe he's canceling due to the weather tonight."
Julie jumped at the comment,"Bullshit, you two have been dating three months already. My sources have said he's been planning this for a week now he's had plenty of time and opportunities to tell you."

"Your sources? You mean the gossip you could hear standing outside of the boy's locker room. That's hardly what I'd call concrete journalistic evidence." Amelia knew her friend had her best interests at heart. She had her back even when she was perfectly fine handling things on her own. Besides, in this case she was willing to put faith in the one she fell in love with.

"I've got this julie you don't need to worry. Amelia smiled, "Remember what happened to your boyfriend when you found out he was sleeping with a girl from college? I distinctly remember I was the one who punched him so that you wouldn't end up killing him.

"I would have only maimed him" Julie laughed. "Well I say whatever happens we go over there tonight and see if there's a party to crash. Amelia seemed to deflate slightly but agreed knowing that her friends nature would not simply let this one go. She absent mindedly twirled a strand of her wavy auburn hair in thought. The two continued to talk for the next half hour or so before Julie was forced to get back to pouring purposely overpriced beverages. Before she left however her friend called out. "I'll help you get dressed for the party later Am's." Ameila simply waved that she understood as her friend was accosted by a rather loud office worker with a headset and a copy of the morning news.

As Amelia made her way out into the open air of the wharf that made up the scenery of the Pike's Place Market. At this time of day there was enough foot traffic that she had to push her way past tourists and showy vendors alike. It was moments like these that she was all to glad she worked out as often as she did. It was one thing to push pass kids or a chatting mother but another entirely to attempt to push past a middle age man trying to haggle over the price of homemade cheese. What should be a ten minute walk took her closer to her destination Reinhart Antiques. The bell on the door rang cheerfully as she entered and turned the sign from away to open. She weaved her way through the small space. Past worn furniture and brightly painted porcelain china to the back room. "I'm Back from the coffee shop Mom." Her mother was busy looking through a jeweler's loop staring at a bronze statue of some chinese god.

"Welcome back honey, mind watching the counter for me? I'm a bit busy at the moment"

"No Problem, Mom. I'll just be in the front reading or something then." She left her mother to her work then and took a seat at the stool behind the counter. The store got casual business, being one of few stores that had protection from the rain and had air conditioning meant that people came in just to escape the crowds. That was how they made a lot of their sales outside of the usual shoppers who came by on a regular basis. That's why it was somewhat surprising when two twenty somethings had come in suddenly the other day with trunks full of their parents old things. Apparently they both had moved away when there mother had died, and they were more than willing to tell her about how they had felt about their father before he had died himself. So they were going to any place they could find to off load a majority of their belongs for a quick buck. It was in a pile of old and damaged books that Amelia found the story that currently caught her attention.

The pages were worn from age and miss care, with a number of pages throughout missing, the leather binding was barely holding together, and any detail or art on the cover remained from when it was made. They said they had tried to sell it along with his other collection of fairytales and other novels to a second hand book store down the way, but with it in such bad shape it wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. They were right of course the book at first glance was trash, but something about the poor story without a title caught her attention. She wanted to save the poor thing from its fate. Her mother had gone through what they had picked out what could be salvaged from the junk, and seeing the look on her daughter's face haggled in the broken tomb as part of the deal.