Drive to move back to our domain name

Started by Throndir, March 13, 2014, 10:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

FWC Staff!

Let's have a drive to move the site back to fantasyworldcreations.com. It's literally unused right now. Hasabushi you're taking care of the hosting right now, is it ready? If not, I can temporarily move back the domain to the host-ed service until when you think it's done and ready. An option we can seriously consider is doing the official switch to your servers once you have the new site done too. Please let me know which option you would prefer for now. At least by the 22nd I want to move back to using fantasyworldcreations.com, we've been on this free domain for too long already in my opinion.

Once we move it back, we can either:

1) Start the SMF forum install from scratch.
Pros: We'll be able to update to the latest version of SMF (just 1 version up).
Cons: We'll lose out on the customizations I did to the site already including Sound notifications on the shoutbox, and being able to use dice rolls in there (not that it was ever used).

2) Move the files over manually.
Pros: Keeps all customizations.
Cons: Maintenance downtime will take longer as we get it sorted out.

I'm leaning towards option #2. The first option really is for the updates and security, but we're only one version behind, do it's not too bad. FYI, there was a point when we were a whole 5 versions behind the latest a year or so ago.

Mainly to Hasabushi, but we'll need to run some configuration scripts once we've changed back out domain name and root URL path. Here is some documentation I followed in our previous move. Depending if I have access or not to the new servers, you may need to run these, or I can go ahead and do it for you if we decide to move to your server.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php
https://code.google.com/p/prettyurls/wiki/TroubleShooting

We'll have to re-do some of our redirection, and I'll set one up for the host-ed domain name on my end once we have this done.

Anyways to summarize! Lets move back to fantasyworldcreations.com, and our deadline for this is the 22nd.

Thanks,
Throndir

Hasabushi

The changes that I'm bringing to the server or going to be quite massive, focusing on turning us into a pure RP site, which is where we seem to be going. Is this the case, or should I include some other direction in my thinking process?

As far as the server is concerned I agree we should move soon, I already have a dedicated server, however the upkeep is slightly higher, taking us to approx 25-30 dollars in both increased speed as well as being able to use more advanced tech's like node.js.  Also I'm working on an idea which could be community sponsored to bring in income to the site through a pay-pal style donation. More on that later:

Back to the thinking at hand a complete re-write maybe in order, in would benefit having a better way to keep track of RP's on the site as well as introducing other mechanics to game play such as actual grid based maps, to be played in real or turn based time. I do not see SMF as being able to handle the load on the database that I'm proposing.

I do apologize for the length of time that it is taking to get all this done, just know that I believe in this community strongly! And want to see a more productive and successful site with the current momentum we have obtained.

Throndir

I'm all for agreeing. Tbh my only concern with staying with the freely hosted domain name is the fact that host-ed is showing up as a warning site for WOT. I also agree with SMF not being able to handle the load of everything we plan to do. What I meant was the short term move, of migrating how the site is now back to the fwc domain name. The host-ed.com domain doesn't look so great, and now that the domain is marked as unsafe, I want to get out of it as soon as we can.

@Has, you're as much as an owner for the site as the founders Kain and I. As for me, all I really need is a place to post my projects, do RPs with buds, and slap a FWC logo on things, as well as potential ideas to create something and sell something as FWC. As for Kain, I'm not sure what his goals are, I think something similar to mine really. I still want FWC to go places, but I'm still pretty content with just having a community for each of us.

As for doing the rewriting, it's entirely up to you! You really should consider developing what you're making as an actual sell-able product as well. I'm not aware of any other "roleplaying" software for websites that are being sold, so there hopefully won't be so much competition. Though, tbh I'm not entirely sure of the demand for it either. But since this is something done on your spare time, it's at least something you can sell later on.

I'm not sure how far or close you are with the project, and I'm always here to help out in code work if you assign me something, but I still want to move away from the host-ed domain for the reasons I had above. Are you already actively paying for the new server or not? If you already are, we should just migrate the site as it is now to it. However, if you're not and are just waiting for me to send in the first payments, lets go with the current solution we have right now and just re-transfer fwc.com to host-ed. Once you think the server is ready, just go ahead and bill me. Personally though, I prefer to use the new server once you have your site up and running so we don't have to go through the hassle of transferring the SMF forums.

For our end users nothing really changes much for them. But the only thing that bothers me is that orange indicator in WOT.

What do you think?

Also no need to apologize Has. XD Everyone here is putting in volunteer effort, so don't feel obligated, life gets busy too.