Book 1 - Chapter 5: Have Sword - Will Travel, or How the West was Fun(dead)

Started by Asta, October 11, 2021, 04:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asta

"Villainy is a matter of perspective" the lich replied wagging a bony finger. "Is it a crime to seek knowledge? To pursue improvement? My quest required more time than the fleeting lifespan of a human, and so my path has lead me to the immortal form you see before you." He folded his hands in front of him in a neutral gesture. "The price was heavy and sacrifices had to be made, as with any great work. All things considered though, I'm sure in the eyes of a goblin you are every bit as villainous as I to you. I have no love for wanton chaos, all things must serve a purpose. Cogs in the divine wheel so to speak."

"Let me be clear, I was brought here after being imprisoned. I imagine by whatever master those fools you dealt with serve. I was minding my own business, in a place far from here, when suddenly I was blindsided by potent magics and found myself bound in this cavern."

The lich gestured at the binding circle at his feet. "Which brings us back to the topic of bargains. Outside this cave is an extraordinary number of undead" he paused for a moment as if thinking "I estimate a horde of at least ten thousand, give or take. These retched husks are doing one of two things, converging upon your location as I am certain you alerted them to your presence; or wandering off as a group in search of warm flesh elsewhere. Do you see where I am going with this?" He held out his hands palm up as if they were a scale to weigh his proposal. "Free me, and I will negate the magics that animate these corpses. Then I will leave, to return to my seclusion and studies."

Throndir

"Youa askin' a mighty lot from us to trust ye'd just leave. If we happen ta free you, we'd be at youa mercy. Nothin' stoppin' you from doin' us in. Now, for regular folks, they have an inklin' of guilt, not ta mention most of the tiyum they'd rather not be chased by them authorities. If it comes to it, potential victims can try ta defend themselves, too, or make a ruckus to call for help. Out here, there's none of that. And defendin' ourselves against someone who requires strong magic to keep them in check? I reckon that's suicide. So, that leaves us to trust you to youa word."

"The difference between them zombies out there to you, is that I know the zombies want to kill us, but we still have the tiyum to potentially run and escape. But if we were ta free you now, we wudden have that option. I cain't speak for my companions, but me puttin' my life in someone's hands iden something so easily given."

"How do we free you anyways?" Rhenri asked, trying to think of a solution to the potential problem.

Asta

"Very pragmatic of you. An admirable quality" the lich answered with a slow nod. "It is true, if I desired I could kill you with a thought. Less than that even, truly. You are right to be cautious. As I said though, chaos does not serve my disposition. A bargain struck is sacrosanct, for what is someone worth but their word alone?"

"So I give you my word, an oath, upon my name Ialdukas. If you free me, I will dispel the undead horde surrounding this location and leave in peace." The lich placed a pale skeletal hand upon his chest and bowed as low as his confinement would allow.

"The enchantment binding me can be most easily removed by breaking the outer circle of this diagram." He pointed to the largest surrounding line in the magic circle.

pringerbeam

"An oath?"  Inquired Thedrin with a narrowed gaze. He was unsure how honorable a lich might be and instinctively distrusted the vile creature but... even the most notoriously nefarious houses of Albion were afforded the right to swear a binding oath. He sighed and relented. "I guess we have no choice. As loath as I am to trust this creature, an oath made under parlay is to be respected and honored. No matter who, or what makes it. So then... who wants to do it?" He finished on a somewhat apprehensive note and looked to the others. Even with his mind made up he was deeply unsettled at the idea of freeing the lich.

pringerbeam

No other volunteers stepping forward, Thedrin looks back to the lich. "Now remember, you made an oath." He said as he edged forward up to the outer edge of the circle. Never taking his eyes off the lich, he scratched away part of the ring with the tip of his sword.

Asta

"Of course" the lich replied, observing Thedrin closely as he approached the diagram and drew his blade across the outer ring.

When the binding ring was broken there was a soft but noticeable rush of air as the magic barrier surrounding the lich fell away. The powerful undead was still for a moment, and then stretched languidly. "Ahhh... You don't know how good that feels. Now about our bargain..."

The lich raised a hand, slowly, and the tension in the small alcove reached an unbearable thickness. For an agonizing moment it became apparent that perhaps freeing him was a terrible, terrible, mistake. The sharp pop of his bony fingers snapping quickly was enough to make Scathach jump and let out a quiet squeak. "There, done. As promised all nine thousand four-hundred and fifty-two villagers from that charming nearby hamlet have been de-animated. Which is to say that the enchantment has been lifted and they are now ordinary corpses. Regrettable I know, but such is... life."

The lich turned away from your group and waved a hand in front of him. From nothing a brilliant portal of shimmering light burst into existence with a great rushing of air. "And now I will take my leave. Our meeting was most pleasant, but I do hope that was our last. Incidentally, that sword you carry, how did you come by it?" he asked, eyeing Thedrin's sword once more as he stood before his magical doorway.

pringerbeam

"It was won in combat with its original owner." Replied Thedrin with a continuing look at the lich.  "An undead that fell before us." Replied Thedrin with a little extra punctuation. "Now, you've held up the first half of your bargain... The second?" He said, with a motion to the portal as if to urge the creature along.

Asta

The lich chuckled softly, "I'm sure he fought bravely."

Turning once more to the portal, the lich passed through its glimmering outline and out of sight, the door snapping shut to a single point of light and then vanishing completely. Nearby Scathach let out an audible sigh of relief. "Fuck me, that was something."

pringerbeam

Thedrin also let out a breath, not having realized how long he had held it in waiting for the lich to depart. "A horrid and treacherous creature. We're lucky it kept up its end of the bargain. Such beings are quite difficult to slay if the stories are to be believed. Sir Ebonwall had to use an ensorcelled blade that was said to be its only weakness to vanquish the lich of the Wailing Keep. We lack anything so powerful." He said, looking at the now inert circle. "I guess we should go outside and see if any of the zombies escaped the lich's spell."

Asta

Departing the mine as a group, you come back out into the sunlight and fresh air and it is immediately apparent that the lich made good on his promise. Not too far from the entrance of the mine you are able to see the collapsed and immobile bodies of the nearest section of the zombie horde. The villagers have been released from the curse of undeath, and have once again become regular corpses. It is a bittersweet victory, but the outcome was likely unavoidable.

"Well, we know what happened, we've dealt with it, and learned something important in the process" Scathach said, looking at the bodies ruefully. "Should we head back to the village and find those kids before going back to the capital?"

pringerbeam

"I supposed so. We can probably find an orphanage or something for them back in the capitol." Replied Thedrin a he looked at the bodies littering the fields outside the mine. "We best hurry before the zombies start to decay now that no foul magics are preserving them. This whole town is about to smell like a butcher's offal pile"

Asta

"If wild dogs don't get them first" Scathach said, flatly. "Damn shame."

Taking the train back to town is a trivial matter of repeating the process that got you to the mine, but flipping a lever to send the vehicle in the opposite direction. When you arrive back in the village, the children are sitting on a low stone wall near the station awaiting your return.

"You get the bastards?" Eeada asks, the half spear resting on her lap.

pringerbeam

"The cultists and their ogre are dead." Replied Thedrin. "Now come along children. There's nothing left in this town for you but the dead. We'll find you some form of guardianship back in the capitol." He said with a snap of his fingers

Asta

"Good" The girl replied without emotion and spat.

"Got an uncle in Caer Mog" Duny piped up. "He might take us in. Runs an inn there, the something Diamond I think."

"Either way we're going to need a cart. I don't fancy riding double for a week." I'll go take a look for one while the kids pack up what they can.

Roughly half an hour later, Scathach returned with a small cart easily drawable by a single horse. The three children piled into the back with the belongings they couldn't do without and you left Baile Fada behind, heading east to Caer Mog."

[info]Perception checks required.[/info]

pringerbeam

[info] Perception [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+2 : 1 + 2, total 3[/blockquote][/info]