Book 1 Chapter 3.2 - Beneath the Barrow

Started by Asta, November 09, 2020, 05:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asta

The staircase was short but surprisingly steep. Descending about ten feet into ground below the tumulus before terminating at the stone slab floor of a short hallway. To the west, thanks to the illumination of a shaft of sunlight coming from the door, you can see a closed door of well preserved wood. The air below the surface is cool, as expected, but interestingly quite dry.

[info]Exploration will follow the established marching order unless the group decides to change it.
Roll20 Link[/info]

pringerbeam

Thedrin, who had been absentmindedly rubbing one of his horns, perked up at the appearance of the entrance and pulled out his warhammer as they party descended down into the tomb, taking his rightful place at the head of the party. Making it to the bottom, he looked back and forth, and seeing one dead end turned to the next door. "And behold, the wealth of the wizard." He said sarcastically as he pushed open the door with the head of his hammer, expecting to find nothing more than a dried out wizard's corpse.

Asta

The oaken door swings open easily on hinges miraculously free of rust, likely the result of some minor cantrip. As if triggered by the end of the door's motion, several torches lining the walls of the chamber beyond suddenly ignite themselves with an eerie purple flame casting a dim light.

The room beyond the door is largely plain. Nondescript carvings of exotic animals decorate the walls, and a wide basin on a pedestal sits at its center. On the western wall are two more doors, the one nearest you is made of stone, lacks a handle, and has a glyph carved in its center; the other is made of wood. To the south, a metal grate allows you a glimpse of a hallway on the other side. The eastern wall has a hole large enough for a small dog to fit through, and crumbled stone and earth lies in a pile on the floor nearby.

[info]Thedrin can finish his movement if there is any remaining, then Rhenri is up.[/info]

pringerbeam

"Great, nothing here."  Said Thedrin as he entered into the chamber. "So now what?"

Throndir

"We explore." Rhenri said. She moved up into the room to look around.

[info][blockquote]Perception 1d20+7 : 11 + 7, total 18[/blockquote][/info]

Asta

[info]Rhenri's Perception:
You notice with a closer look around the room that the pile of dirt near the hole in the eastern wall has the hallmarks of a rodent's nest. A nest could contain pilfered grave goods, or just chewed up trash. Closer inspection would be required.[/info]

[info]Cecilia is up.[/info]

Oath

Cecilia moves into the room behind her allies, looking around to take in the sights. "Probably best to be prepared." She cast Mage armor on herself. "Anyone want some light, just in case?"

[info]Casting Mage armor on myself (duration 1 hour) Light on my quarter staff (duration 10 minutes) and if able, casting light for anyone who wants it on whatever they want it on.

Level 1 Spells Prepared: Mage Armor Color Spray, Grease.
[/info]

Asta

"Oim good, can still see pretty well." Scathach answered, walking into the room. "Anything interesting?"

[info]Thedrin to move.[/info]

pringerbeam

Thedrin rested his shield arm's hand on his hip and heft his hammer onto his shoulder as he inspected the basin in the center of the room. "Nothing except what I assume is the prized washbasin of a long rotted corpse."

[info] Perception to inspect the basin[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+2 : 10 + 2, total 12[/blockquote]
Knowledge (Religion or Nobility) if needed[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+4 : 15 + 4, total 19[/blockquote][/info]

Asta

[info]An examination of the basin shows that it likely held some kind of liquid in the past, though what kind you can't say. At the bottom is a small niche that at one time held an object that is missing now.[/info]

From the hole in the wall a slight rustling can be heard, like the sound of something skittering around.

[info]Rhenri up.[/info]

Throndir

[info]Active Stance of the Piercing Rays.

Perception on the sound of something skittering around.

[blockquote]Perception 1d20+7 : 4 + 7, total 11[/blockquote][/info]

Asta

[info]Rhenri's Perception:
The skittering sound is likely coming from some kind of animal, and is definitely coming from the hole in the wall.[/info]

Oath

"Shall we investigate? I'm not one to take the lead in such situations but I'll provide as much support as I'm able." Cecilia looked towards the hole and motioned with her staff as she spoke. "It's best to clear the area before we get lost in the history of this place."

[info]Holding firm, waiting for someone else to take the lead. [/info]

pringerbeam

"Probably a mole or some other vermin... but I guess I could take a look." Replied Thedrin as he sauntered over to the hole, kicking one of the loose rocks in a he approached.

Asta

The rock skips a short distance across the floor and into the hole in the wall, bouncing off some unseen surface it makes a clattering sound before falling silent. Shortly thereafter, a sudden burst of motion erupts from the opening as a furry something springs forth.

[info]Thedrin to make a reflex save.[/info]