[Carrie] Chapter 2: Into the New World

Started by Throndir, January 10, 2019, 02:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

Synithise went ahead of you into the bathroom itself. It was a large communal bath, though, it seemed like Synithise went ahead to ensure that it was cleared out. On the journey there, the snake lady mentioned that her people, being the Lamia Priestesses, absolutely loved soaking themselves in the warm water, and it was usually busy all day and night around. They simply liked the warmth.

Synithise mentioned that she'd replaced the water and heat it all up, but said the process could take up to half an hour.

QuoteIf you want to do potential experiments in that time frame, feel free to do so, just spawn a side thread in the Side Stories, or we can just save that for later.

Soon enough she came out beaming.

"Alright hero Carrie!" Synithise said happily, you noticed she used 'hero' again, but she didn't seem to notice. "The water is all warm! Do you need anything? Maybe something nice and warm to drink? Milk? Milk is really popular for bathes... Oh! Do you need anyone to wash your back? Any of the priestesses, including I, will be willing to help."

Erynn

QuotePlanning on moving on from this thread soon unless significant character development looks likely. Carrie's just looking to soak for a bit before bed.

As Synithise informs Carrie that the bath was ready, she doesn't even notice the use of the title Hero. She barely even registers Synithise asking her if she wants someone to wash her back as she enters, absent-mindedly answering, "Sure." The answer was more a reflex than it was an actual desire for assistance. As Carrie silently disrobes and slips into the water, on top of everything else a deep sadness begins to creep into her expression while she begins washing. It isn't long before Carrie begins washing her hands repeatedly as if trying to clean something off them that stubbornly refuses to wash away.

So much for finding a calm center....
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Throndir

Throughout it all, Synithise kept talking about random things while she assisted you bathe. The topics weren't really of anything consequential, but she at least didn't talk about food or foodstuffs. During the bath, you realized that the soap they used didn't really lather as well as what you were used to. But Synithise did try her best, and she had even attempted to wash and clean your hair as well.

The snake lady seem to preoccupied telling you random stories and washing, that she didn't really seem to notice your quiet behavior.

QuoteIf you have any plans for the rest of the evening, feel free to do them. It's around 7 PM currently. If not, we'll start Day 2, if so, feel free to wrap up the rest of the evening if you don't plan to do anything big.

Erynn

Eventually, Carrie reached the point at which she could barely keep her eyes open anymore and finally exits the bath, dries herself off, and dons a robe before heading back toward her room, Uniform and gear in hand. She thanks Synithise for her help and bids her a good night before locking the door behind her. She sets her possessions in a corner and slips into bed for what turns out to be a fitful night of sleep punctuated by horrible nightmares. Morning for Carrie comes all too soon.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Throndir

There were two other snake ladies who were posted at your door, outside, the same ones who were there during the feast from the day before. There were no windows in this underground room, with the only light source being soft-glowing crystals, and the torches positioned on the walls. The lack of the sun made things a bit harder to get a feel for the time, but eventually you drifted off. The dreams you had were turbulent to say the least. But you managed to get a full night's rest.

Location: New World - Lamia Priestess Tunnels - Carrie's Room
Date: Day 2 - Morning

QuoteFeel free to choose the exact time you wake up.

The morning after, you were awoken by a soft knocking on your door, along with a familiar voice.

"Good morning hero Carrie!" It was Synithise. There was some hesitance as she paused for a second.

"Would you care for... breakfast?"

Erynn

QuoteLets say 9AM

As Carrie slowly came to, wiping the sleep from her eyes, she answered the voice at the door. While she still wasn't sure just what her stomach could handle, her stomach was empty and letting her know it.

"I had better at least try to eat something.", comes the groggy response as Carrie sits up in bed, "Give me a few minutes to get dressed."

Carrie then goes about donning her uniform again, it being the only clothing she currently had available and sets about looking for a brush with which to tame an unruly case of bed-head. She also briefly looked about for the hair tie she had been wearing the previous day before taking a moment to reflect on the fact that she was never going to be subject to Marine Corps regulations again. The thought brought such a deep sorrow to Carrie's heart that she immediately located the hair tie and continued to follow regulation anyway as a sort of tribute or remembrance of those marines that had fought at her side defending Paris Island. She mentally included those recruits that had fought alongside their instructors, firmly believing that anyone who gave their life for the Corps alongside those who had been fully trained, even battle-hardened, could never be anything less than a full-fledged Marine. After all, their crucible had been far more trying than had any previous,

Once she was presentable, Carrie then proceeded to make her bed, keeping her morning routine as if it were any other day in the corps. She then proceeded to unlock the door and exit, prepared to follow Synithise to wherever the food was to be served. She also takes a moment to address the first words she had heard this morning.

"Now, what did I tell you about that title?", she asks Synithise, gently reminding her that the fewer people heard it, the better.

Throndir

Location: New World - Lamia Priestess Tunnels - Outside Carrie's Room
Date: Day 2 - 9 AM

"Yes... That's right... Because we need to make sure no one else apart from the Lamia Priestesses know that you're a hero. Please forgive me Carrie." Synithise said.

"We can go back to the dining room... There is a large selection of breakfast we can choose from. Or... I don't mind going there myself and getting you something! You need to have your strength today, because today I get to teach you magic. You should learn fast! That Mana Sensitivity and Quick Learner blessing from before will make it a breeze."

Erynn

"I think it's best if I see what's available and choose based on what seems appealing at that moment.", Carrie answers, gesturing for Synithise to lead the way, "It'll save us time and trouble. Magic's on the agenda today, is it? I hope that Magicless bit I saw when looking at that personal......information window doesn't get in the way."

Carrie nearly says status again but catches herself. Discussing something of the sort without having an annoying menu pop open in her field of vision was going to be seriously irritating to manage. Carrie then takes a moment to acknowledge the difficulty, anxiety, and worry that Synithise has likely gone through up to this point.

"I really appreciate how you've been so accommodating, by the way.", Carrie compliments the priestess, "Yesterday you saw me in a state that was far from my best. I know that must have been a source of great frustration and anxiety on your part. I doubt I'll be completely back to normal for a while yet, but I want you to know that making sure you didn't leave me alone anywhere was more helpful than even I realized at the time. Thank you."

Carrie continues with an offer of her own, "If there's anything that you'd like to learn from me, I'd be happy to teach you what I can as well."

Throndir

Location: New World - Lamia Priestess Tunnels - Outside Carrie's Room

Synithise smiled genuinely when you thanked her.

"Aww..." She was about to reach her arms forward to hug you, but paused, and withdrew, as a slight tint of pink colored her features. "Sorry, I'm the matriarch of my people, and everyone tells me I still kinda act like a kid sometimes!"

Instead Synithise reached for your hands.

QuoteAssumptions made, if different we can tweak this.

"It's the duty of the Lamia Priestesses to make sure you, the hero, are always taken cared of. I'll promise I'll always be here for you, and every step of the way. You'll be amazing Carrie! And I want to see that happen." Synithise said as she let go a moment later.

"Anyways, well... there is one thing I'd like to learn... Actually... umm... how to put this..." She said hesitating a bit.

"Recipes for human food? Your world specifically!"

Erynn

For the first time since arriving in this new world, Carrie manages to genuinely smile. Synithise, despite being from a completely different world had managed to remind Carrie why she had enlisted in the first place. Protecting kind, gentle people like her was exactly what Carrie had wanted to do with her life.

"You know, there are some things kids get right that adults have trouble with.", Carrie replies, "Being genuine with others like you are is one of them. When it comes to recipes from my world, you probably couldn't be more in luck. We'll have to raid the pantry and spice cabinet to see if we have what we need first though. There's no telling how similar or different the plants and animals are between the two worlds. At least we already know we have chicken to work with."

Carrie continues to walk with Synithise toward the dining room, now beginning to understand the exuberant priestess. Much like Carrie herself, she clearly enjoyed experiencing what other cultures had to offer. Food was often one of the best ways to put yourself in the shoes of others, granting insight into the daily lives of those who prepared and consumed it. Carrie wondered just how Synithise would like the varied combinations of ingredients though, given how pointedly she had stuck to meats the evening before.

Throndir

Location: New World - Lamia Priestess Tunnels - Towards the dining room

Synithise smiled brightly at your offer to showcase her recipes from your own world.

Once you reached the dining room, displayed on the same tables as the night before was an array of food. It looked similar to what you would expect from a typical English breakfast, though, there were some dishes that were different.

"Most of these are recipes from the Felencorp... It's typical food that they eat. But we included some too that the few humans in our country eat in the morning."

"Does your world have magic, Carrie?"

Erynn

As Carrie looked over the spread laid out before her, she was relieved to see that it was so similar to the sort of breakfast she had been used to back home on the farm. The aromas in the room made Carrie's mouth water and confirmed for her that there was indeed some degree of similarity in food types between the two worlds. She quickly filled her plate with the most familiar fare. Eggs, bacon, toast,........Carrie avoided sausages for the moment. There was one unusual dish that caught her eye as she responded to Synithise though.

"In my world, the only magic we have isn't actually magic. Performers will make use of sleight of hand, as well as specially designed tools to create the illusion of magic, and they can pull off some very impressive tricks, but they don't actually cast any spells. Their acts are all 'smoke and mirrors' as the saying goes.", Carrie explains, then inquires about an unusual looking dish that smells at once sweet, yet spicy, "What exactly is this one here? It smells a lot like something from my world, but looks nothing like it!"

Throndir

"Oh... that is an interesting kind of magic too... But it's not really magic? The magic we'll be learning today is the real kind! Heroes are supposed to be very adept at picking it up. So I'm sure you'll get the hang of it."

Synithise grabbed a fork and pierced the food that you pointed at.

"That is one of the dishes the humans of my country eat. It's a crop, mixed with a couple of spices... It tastes similar to the potatoes that the Felencorp country has, but ours are red or purple in color, and they grow on trees."

QuoteFeel free to describe the breakfast scene if you'd like, if you have questions for Synithise, feel free to ask, otherwise we'll move scenes.

Erynn

Throndir

Once breakfast was completed, Synithise took you to another room in the underground tunnels. This one was a lot more open-spaced, and reminded you of an underground gymnasium. At the very tops of the room, were a set of openings that let in light, but there was also plenty of torches around. Inside the room were various protrusions of rocks, along with straw dummies. On the sides of the room were racks full of medieval weapons.

"The Lamia Priestesses go through training here. With weapons, and magic... But for you today, we'll be going over magic! If you don't have magic... Then there probably is no mana either? With your Mana Sensitivity blessing though... you should be able to sense it and even see it. Normally... Mana is invisible to everyone but heroes, or those particular sensitive to it. Try this... Close your eyes, and look inwards within yourself. You should see something like a pool or a lake. Then imagine drawing from that pool, and bringing that energy to your hands. Once there... Try imagining a spell being formed. Words would come to your mind then, and upon reciting those words, it will unleash as a spell."

QuoteThe only magic most NPCs know are Elemental Magicka. Think of it as Evocation in D&D.
Take a look at the Spell System doc for an overview. Spell casting in Isekai for elemental magicka goes as follows:

1) Invoke one of the 4 elements.
2) Describe how the spell would be like (the incantation).
3) Unleash the spell by stating the Keyword.

You are given a couple of free spell slots (under the elemental magicka system) that you can define as you see fit, new spells after the free ones, you have to train for using the Training/Technique system/rules.

Synithise closed her eyes. Then in her hands a glow was forming.

"I can't see it... but there's mana in my hands right now. Then..."

"Fires of creation! Become like a beacon of raging flames. Fire Flare!" With that an orb of fire went up into the gymnasium-like room, lighting up the entire area. It lingered for awhile, seeming to slow in mid-air, but eventually it dissipated.

"Alright... now you try, think of any spell."