[Charlene] Chapter 1: Catastrophe

Started by Throndir, September 13, 2018, 04:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

《Chapter 1: Catastrophe》

You were vacationing to France with one of your friends. Your friend had actually managed to randomly win a lottery with "a free trip to France with a friend", so naturally, she had chosen you; her best friend, to accompany her for the trip.

You had just come back to the hotel from a day full of sight-seeing and visiting various pastry and cake stores, so the two of you were rather tired and exhausted from the adventures. Today would mark your last day in France, sometime tomorrow afternoon was when you would be taking a flight back to the US. It was bittersweet, visiting France was more interesting than you thought it would be. And the lottery that your friend won happened to include a lot of gourmet and specialized chocolate restaurants as part of the winnings.

Your friend, Chloe, plopped face down on the couch.

"Char, that was tiring... I can't believe this is our last day though, you know? One week full of sweets and chocolates..." She paused for a moment then giggled.

"I'm going to have to check my weight when we get back... Which reminds me! We have that random slice of cake the last restaurant gave us. I swear that manager did not like Americans!"

"It's either a late night snack, or breakfast!" She laughed.

akicheeto

Charlie sits on her bed and kicks off her shoes. She lays back with her arms spread out. Her stomach full and her feet sore but she's happy at the prospect of finally going home. She knew France was a great city for food but she never could have imagined how much she learned in a week.

So many ideas ran through her mind and she couldn't wait to bring back her concepts to work.

"Dude, how can you think of cake after literally just eating?" Charlie groans just at the thought of eating more. "Besides your weight is fine. You're fine as hell."

Charlie chuckles as she forces herself to stand and she stretches tall. Exhaling as much air as humanly possible to lighten the load in her belly.

"The manager was a jerk but did you see that crazy chocolate sculpture they had though?"

Regardless of her previous comment, she does eye the cake with mild want.

akicheeto

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+4 : 6 + 4, total 10[/blockquote]

Throndir

"We're on vacation, Char!" Chloe said, explaining. "Just let go for this week... and regret it all the week after..." She groaned.

"Yeah, no kidding! It would have been better if the manager wasn't such an ass though..."

[info]Perception: 10
You heard somewhere outside the blaring of horns, and the sound of cars crashing. There seemed to be a lot of honking.[/info]Chloe furrowed her eyebrows.

"For this time of day, they're rather noisy..."

QuoteYou are on the 5th floor in a hotel complex, the actual hotel itself is many many stories high. The sounds of the car crashes and horns blaring at somewhere on the streets below. You have a view of it from your window.

akicheeto

QuoteWhat time is it? And kind of what season/month are we in?

Throndir

akicheeto

Charlie runs to the window and pulls the shades aside. The crash looks pretty bad but she can't really tell how bad it actually is.

"I don't think that sound was intentional, Chloe..." Charlie mutters. The honks drowning any kind of peace and quiet in the room. "Jesus I wonder if they're okay?"

It wasn't really in Charlie's nature to run out and help but she couldn't stop staring.

Throndir

The moment you looked outside you immediately saw the cause of the commotion. It looks like a truck had crashed into oncoming traffic, which caused a couple of other crashes as well. A string of vehicles were smacked right up against each other, some of them were completely crushed. More than likely there would have been some casualties. Traffic was starting to get backed up as people stood outside just staring at the whole scene.

But it wasn't that which caught your attention the most. In fact, it actually wasn't the traffic incidents that had caught everyone's attention. What everyone stared at, and what you saw as well, was cracks all throughout the night sky. Glowing lines spread across the skies, as if the sky was some sort of glass pane, and someone had begun hammering it in various places.

The cracks were everywhere, from right above you, to as far as you can see into the night horizon. The cracks continued to get bigger and more pronounced. Pieces of the sky seemed to have been breaking way, as dark holes were left in their place in the night sky above. Then...

Something large and dark seemed to appear from one of them.

QuoteAnother Perception requested.

Chloe called out from behind you, making her way next to you.

"Yeah, so... what's the fuss?"

akicheeto

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+4 : 4 + 4, total 8[/blockquote]

Throndir

You couldn't make out what it was that was appearing from the cracks in the sky until it was too late. Suddenly, the cracks seemed to give way, and something large was falling from the skies itself. Whatever it was, it had slightly crashed into your building, though the impact managed to rock the entire building.

QuoteAgility Check Requested, that's 1d20+4, DC 14.

akicheeto

Agility Check: [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+4 : 20 + 4, total 24[/blockquote]

Throndir

[info]Agility: 24
You manage to maintain your balance.[/info]Chloe on the other hand, lost her footing, and ended up stumbling to the ground. There was screaming outside.

akicheeto

"What the fuck?" Charlie presses her face to the window, trying to get a better look. "The-the sky looks cracked?!"

Charlie turns, hastily pulling her shoes back on and pulling on her sweatshirt.

"I'm going to see what's happening-"

Seeing Chloe tumble at the impact, Charlie runs back.

"You okay? You good? I'm gonna go outside. You should stay here."

Charlie gives Chloe a once-over seeing if her friend was alright before she runs out.

Throndir

The building rumbled again.

It was at that time when Chloe had begun to pick herself up. All of a sudden the roof gave in, or more specifically, the next floor up, gave way.

QuoteAgility requested again to maintain balance from the latest shockwave, I need precise turn-by-turn movements, so Initiative requested, that's 1d20+2.

akicheeto

[blockquote]Agility Check 1d20+4 : 12 + 4, total 16[/blockquote]

[blockquote]Initiative 1d20+2 : 20 + 2, total 22[/blockquote]